Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C.S Lewis.

Thumbs up C.S Lewis.

I have gone on a journey the last few years, Walking though the darkest time in my life. I have spent days reading, hours searching, and minutes thinking. And then it happened, I stumbled upon a book titled " The Screwtape Letters" as i read though the pages I found myself captivated . So much of what was contained in this book I found to be so true. if not pertaining to me then to others close to me.
    Since then I read numerous others books written by Lewis. he takes the most complex issues and wraps them In a beautiful tapestry of the english language. He forces those who read his work to come to terms with there own philosophical presuppositions. His wit, wisdom, and style are scarcly rivaled. I recommend Anyone who is searching, lost, or think that they have found there place to read some of his works. "The Abolition of Man" "the Screwtape letters" "Mere Christianity" and "God in the dock" are just some of his sixty-six plus books. My mind was kicked into high gear, my beliefs were challenged and I found something that I had been searching for. Some put him at the same table as Aristolte, Plato, Hume, and other great intellectual thinkers of are time. And others put him as a radical lunatic, A superb writer with a misguided worldview. I challenge You to pick up one of his books and see for yourself.

JS,

Lewis on deception.
    Nothing can deceive unless it bears a plausible resemblance to reality

Default Re: C.S Lewis.

Well I had that sort of feeling the first time I read Sartre's work, just that feeling of everything you had a sort of feeling of understanding and believing being unfolded infront of you by someone, it is great.

As for Lewis and what I know of his beliefs from some of his books - they don't suit me a bit. He is a great writer for Christians who want their belief put into great writing, unfortunately that isn't me at all.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

An excellent writer.

You might want to check out a movie about him.. man i cant remember the name now but you can probably find it on google. Its more about his relationship with a woman, later his wife, than his beliefs outright. But as the movie progresses, his own beliefs are challenged. I dont know how factual it is, but it was a good drama..

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

panzer, do you mean Shadowlands?

check: www.imdb.com for it...
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_General
    I Some put him at the same table as Aristolte, Plato, Hume, and other great intellectual thinkers of are time. And others put him as a radical lunatic, A superb writer with a misguided worldview. I challenge You to pick up one of his books and see for yourself.

Lewis would be turning in his grave if he heard you putting him on the same table as those who committed depraved acts which are contrary to Christian doctrine; which both Plato and Aristotle did. they did not have great minds, either.

no...Lewis is not on their table...Lewis is far beyond the stratosphere (both morally and intellectually) of those two.

Lewis did not have a misguided worldview. i'm sure you're saying that just because he's Christian. if you really think he was a good writer then actually take to heart what he says and let him alter your misguided worldview
    Last edited by Navaros; 12-31-2004 at 13:11.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Navaros
    Lewis would be turning in his grave if he heard you putting him on the same table as those who committed depraved acts which are contrary to Christian doctrine; which both Plato and Aristotle did.
    Aristotle and Plato lived prior to the birth of Christianity. How could they have violated a doctrine which didn't exist?
    Unto each good man a good dog

Lewis was a genius and one of the finest Christian writers of the 20th century, if not of all time. His depth of thought, his knowlege and understanding of humanity, his wit and humour, and his ability to clearly and calmly explain Christian beliefs and principles mean that he will continue to be read and enjoyed long after we have departed this mortal coil.

I haven't read all his stuff, but I have on my bookshelf Mere Christianity, Surprised by Joy, The Screwtape Letters and The Great Divorce, all of which are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    As for Lewis and what I know of his beliefs from some of his books - they don't suit me a bit. He is a great writer for Christians who want their belief put into great writing, unfortunately that isn't me at all.
    JAG, I suggest that you do pick up one of Lewis's books to see for yourself. Otherwise you are being closed minded, indeed I would go as far as to say you are merely seeking to perpetuate your own predjudices against Christians and Christianity, which seem to be an amalgam of the worst aspects of Ian Paisley, Pat Buchanan, George W Bush and a succession of Medieval popes. If you truly want to be a "seeker of truth" or whatever, or at the very least understand your "enemy", then I suggest you read some C.S.Lewis. The very least it will do is enhance your understanding of a religion which you have a very blinkered view of. You will also find yourself entertained as he is a very good writer and very funny at times.

If you want to understand Christian beliefs, or find out more about them then I would suggest Mere Christianity, and contrary to what you might believe its not 187 pages of "why we hate gays and muslims", indeed Lewis speaks surprisingly little on "sins of the flesh" in his writings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Literary Supplement
    He has quite a unique power for making theology an attractive, exciting and fascinating quest

If you want a challenging work of fiction that challenges many of this worlds beliefs then I suggest The Great Divorce
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    Much deserves to be quoted...attractive imagery, amusing satire, exciting speculations...Lewis rouses curiosity about life after death only to sharpen awareness of this world
    If you want a very clever, very funny book that also challenges you as an individual and makes you look at yourself and your behaviour then I suggest The Screwtape Letters
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    The book is sparkling yet truly relevant, in fact a perfect joy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer
    Excellent, hard hitting, challenging, provoking
    In fact, I would especially recommend the audio version of the Screwtape Letters (I have it on tape) as Screwtape is played by John Cleese who is perfect for the role and very very funny with it.
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

I only ever read his Narnia series and SciFi series as a child. Might give his other works a try if they're this good.
    Don't shoot me - I'm just the texture artist.

Lewis would be turning in his grave if he heard you putting him on the same table as those who committed depraved acts which are contrary to Christian doctrine; which both Plato and Aristotle did. they did not have great minds, either.

oh dear its plain you need to read up on the history of your own Religeon

During the Middle Ages the church highly supported the works of Plato and Aristotle as well as other Greek (and Roman) students of Philosophy - so much so they suppressed work done by others

Mount I do not criticise and dislike Christianity and religion because of a few of it's members who preach intolerance and contradict vast parts of the bible etc. I dislike it because of all the close minded, numb making, suffering that it has caused. I realise that there have been - minimal - benefits of religion over the years but the present and the past show Christianity to be more dangerous than anything we have ever seen on this earth.

So I do not need to read Lewis, I am sure he was probably a very good writer and used all the 'nice' parts of the bible in the 'nicest' ways to show how great it really is, but I am afraid I know there are people like that, but they tend to not only be the minority but the exception throughout history.

I am not close minded, I get my views and knowledge from experience - like all of us - and I have plenty of experience of religion and religious people, I was brought up with and surrounded by them and did go to a church of England school.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

panzer, do you mean Shadowlands?

Yes thats it exactly.

A very good movie, but dont expect a biopic.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Mount I do not criticise and dislike Christianity and religion because of a few of it's members who preach intolerance and contradict vast parts of the bible etc. I dislike it because of all the close minded, numb making, suffering that it has caused. I realise that there have been - minimal - benefits of religion over the years but the present and the past show Christianity to be more dangerous than anything we have ever seen on this earth.

So I do not need to read Lewis, I am sure he was probably a very good writer and used all the 'nice' parts of the bible in the 'nicest' ways to show how great it really is, but I am afraid I know there are people like that, but they tend to not only be the minority but the exception throughout history.

I am not close minded, I get my views and knowledge from experience - like all of us - and I have plenty of experience of religion and religious people, I was brought up with and surrounded by them and did go to a church of England school.
    You brining up referance to the Crusades?
    Couter attack against the Muslims after they attacked Catholic Spain.
    The Inquisition?
    The Roman Inquisition was made to search out Heresy in the Church. The Spanish Inquisition was made to get rid of anyone who may be collaberating with the Moors in Spain.
    Lets face it Atheism and Islam are the two 'most dangerous' things we have ever seen on earth. The Soviet Union was Atheist (sp? I don't give a damn) and they are viewed as one of the worst regimes in history. The Nazis were, to a lesser degree, atheist as well. Athiesm more than anything else is going to bring the downfall of Organized religion and with that will go all the values and morals on this pathetic speck of a planted. And Anarchy will reign supreme with little babies getting their heads blown off because they aren't exactly as their crackwhore mother wanted them and any signs of good and decency will be destroyed on sight by the insane atheists. I don't care what you say, it has already begun happening, with Abortion being legal throughout the world and gay marraige spreading like the black plague. Organized religion is already under bombardment by orginizations such as the ACLU (Anti Christian Liberals Union, it should be called) and the judges often support it! Need I go on?

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Capo of Arabia
    You brining up referance to the Crusades?
    Couter attack against the Muslims after they attacked Catholic Spain.
    The Inquisition?
    The Roman Inquisition was made to search out Heresy in the Church. The Spanish Inquisition was made to get rid of anyone who may be collaberating with the Moors in Spain.
    Lets face it Atheism and Islam are the two 'most dangerous' things we have ever seen on earth. The Soviet Union was Atheist (sp? I don't give a damn) and they are viewed as one of the worst regimes in history. The Nazis were, to a lesser degree, atheist as well. Athiesm more than anything else is going to bring the downfall of Organized religion and with that will go all the values and morals on this pathetic speck of a planted. And Anarchy will reign supreme with little babies getting their heads blown off because they aren't exactly as their crackwhore mother wanted them and any signs of good and decency will be destroyed on sight by the insane atheists. I don't care what you say, it has already begun happening, with Abortion being legal throughout the world and gay marraige spreading like the black plague. Organized religion is already under bombardment by orginizations such as the ACLU (Anti Christian Liberals Union, it should be called) and the judges often support it! Need I go on?

you know....you really don´t need to spell out on your sig that you´re a redneck.....the sheer amount of stupidity that comes across in your posts makes that clear as day....stating it twice is just overkill really
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

That brings up an interesting point!

If someone has a different view than a liberal he/she is automatically stupid/bigoted!

Check.

Why do you hate Freedom?

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: C.S Lewis.

That brings up an interesting point!

If someone has a different view than a liberal he/she is automatically stupid/bigoted!

Check.

wrong.....*buzzer goes off*

there are plenty of ppl in these boards that i strongly disagree with but that state their opinion´s in a clear and structured way......you don´t...
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

I wasn't refering strictly to you,
    but you did bring up the point.
    I disagree with you so I'm a stupid redneck.
    When I disagree with JAG I'm a fat stupid bigot.
    et cetera et cetera et cetera.

Why do you hate Freedom?

Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

This is an amazing post. In a single sentence there is a complete rejection of the bedrock of the Western Intellectual Tradition.

The judgement on their minds failing to meet the great catergory suggests others would fit this standard better. Who would this be? Is the idea here that a particular religious devotion entails mental acuity or the lack of such devotion implies a cognative failing?

I am not sure I understand the "depraved acts" comment either. If this is a reference to buggery: what is the source for this claim?

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

The Nazis were, to a lesser degree, atheist as well.

they used religion, christianity to be exact suited it to thier own needs though.

And Anarchy will reign supreme with little babies getting their heads blown off because they aren't exactly as their crackwhore mother wanted them

us aethiests are snatching the guns first remember it'd be more of a hacking, but i don't now any aethiests who support allowing mothers to blow thier babys heads off, maybe you could enlighten me ?
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

The Nazis embraced many things, especially early in their rise to power, that they didnt particularly believe in or agree with.

Although i shouldnt have said they were athiests, more like mystics or something.

In any event, i dont think hitler or any of the nazi leaders were praying to Christ, Allah or Buhda.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly

they used religion, christianity to be exact suited it to thier own needs though.

And Anarchy will reign supreme with little babies getting their heads blown off because they aren't exactly as their crackwhore mother wanted them

us aethiests are snatching the guns first remember it'd be more of a hacking, but i don't now any aethiests who support allowing mothers to blow thier babys heads off, maybe you could enlighten me ?
    It's metaphorical.

Why do you hate Freedom?

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Yet not quite musical.
    Unto each good man a good dog

you know....you really don´t need to spell out on your sig that you´re a redneck.....the sheer amount of stupidity that comes across in your posts makes that clear as day....stating it twice is just overkill really

Ive seen this type of rhetoric alot from the left on this board recently. Telling someone how stupid they are doesnt make you look any smarter, just immature.

I wasn't refering strictly to you,
    but you did bring up the point.
    I disagree with you so I'm a stupid redneck.
    When I disagree with JAG I'm a fat stupid bigot.
    et cetera et cetera et cetera.
    Hm? Where have I said you are fat and stupid? News to me.

Capo at the end of the day, when you post things like you do, it doesn't take anyone to point out anything it is blatantly obvious what kind of person you are.

And you did so in that post trying to justify the crusades and inquisitions. 'Nuff said.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager

The Nazis embraced many things, especially early in their rise to power, that they didnt particularly believe in or agree with.

Although i shouldnt have said they were athiests, more like mystics or something.

In any event, i dont think hitler or any of the nazi leaders were praying to Christ, Allah or Buhda.
    And? I wonder how many leaders in history that didn't prayed to Christ, Allah or Buddha, and how many of them tried not to use the religion to control the population, or even tried to stop the people's beliefs.

That would be most of them.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

And what?

My respect for most everybody's ability to reason logically on the board has taken a severe shot to the gut. And I don't even care if you are from the left or the right.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Hm? Where have I said you are fat and stupid? News to me.

Capo at the end of the day, when you post things like you do, it doesn't take anyone to point out anything it is blatantly obvious what kind of person you are.

And you did so in that post trying to justify the crusades and inquisitions. 'Nuff said.
    PM a while ago. You were probably pissed off and I don't hold it against you.

Why do you hate Freedom?

To the Backroom veterans: does every thread in this forum end up in the toilet like this one? It seems that the few threads in here that I find interesting always end up like this - petty bickering and mean-spirited sniping. The shame of it is that you all seem like very good people, yet the "discussions" in this forum bring out the worst in many of you. Back to the Monastery for me.
    This space intentionally left blank

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Well some of us seem to be getting everyone annoyed these days, seen as im not to perceptive i haven't got a clue who your getting annoyed at so..if i did it.. sorry greg, lehesu, slyspy and scar.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

I was not arguing on the basis of doctrine, beliefs, or the acts committed. I was simply comparing the absolute greatness of the mind.

no...Lewis is not on their table...Lewis is far beyond the stratosphere (both morally and intellectually) of those two.
    I agree with you on this.

Lewis did not have a misguided worldview. i'm sure you're saying that just because he's Christian. if you really think he was a good writer then actually take to heart what he says and let him alter your misguided worldview
    I apologize if i was not clear on that. I agree with Lewis, his writings have transformed my Life, my Worldviews, the way I perceive religion, wile for the first time helping me to be a more compaasionate and empassioned individual

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    To the Backroom veterans: does every thread in this forum end up in the toilet like this one? It seems that the few threads in here that I find interesting always end up like this - petty bickering and mean-spirited sniping. The shame of it is that you all seem like very good people, yet the "discussions" in this forum bring out the worst in many of you.
    I agree completely, look though any of the really engaging and interesting topics and you would think that a bunch of kids were in the playground arguing. I admit I am at fault as well. But Can we not have a intellecual and thought provoking topic without all the mud-slinging?

JS,

Lewis writing about stereotypes.

A stereotyped image can obliterate a man's own exsperince

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast