Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Campaign Map Development

Default Re: Campaign Map Development

Absolutely awesome work.
    Ragabash the trickster

I was looking at the map screenshots, and I can't help but ask....why is Japan not an island?

I know that it's a fantasy mod and all, but making Japan into a peninsula greatly distorts things. I mean, it's Japan...when you think of Japan and its geography...you think 'island'. Other than that, the campaign map screen are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by IPoseTheQuestionYouReturnTheAnswer
    I was looking at the map screenshots, and I can't help but ask....why is Japan not an island?

I know that it's a fantasy mod and all, but making Japan into a peninsula greatly distorts things. I mean, it's Japan...when you think of Japan and its geography...you think 'island'. Other than that, the campaign map screen are excellent.
    the biggest reason I can think of is that the game's AI doesn't handle attacking islands well. If I can play most of the game without worrying about too much of the naval aspect, I'll be happy. Feels too tacked on for my tastes.

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

i think as hoggy put it: 'the map will be asia but altered by chinese whispers'
    i like the idea that the map is all fantasy.. and besides the ai does suck at attacking to and from islands (scipii)

I suppose the AI thing makes sense, though I never saw a problem with island AI. The Scipii and Britons always fought far into the mainland. Though I do have to admit that while AI seems to know how to attack from an island and get onto the mainland, it's no good at actually invading island. So I suppose the point makes sense.

I know it's a map "altered by chinese whispers", I just thought it was strange to see that Japan was the only big change made to it....even the Monk's island is just a slightly altered version of the Phillipines, and aside from those two changes, it's an exact copy of Asia.

just wanted to give you guys an update on the conversion to 1.3. ive finally, with more CTD's than i can count, got the map ported over.... with one BIG problem.. the map heights are really screwed.... here's a pic to illustrate my dilemma.

see all those little ponds, in 1.2 they were not there, now that we have to use the hgt generater, its got it all f'ed up........

Blue Lotus Total War
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Byzantium Total War

Ooooops.... I think we get a lot of ponds

How time consuming is it to fix this?

This mod is in its count down and I'm sure the team can fix this!

Keep up the great works

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

it's a shame that happened... i think it happened for the jidai no ran team as well from what screens of their map i have seen...

btw that is an amazing radar map with the skeleton.... looks class!

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Good luck fixing it. The interface looks great, perfect for the theme, particularly the map.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Good luck fixing it. The interface looks great, perfect for the theme, particularly the map.
    well I was about to say something like this. not only the GUI is nice but also the terrain textures.

Last user of scythed chariots Member Spendios's Avatar

This map looks great ! Good luck with the mod !

A thought: The map will often look barren with few cities, which can hurt the physical value of the map (See BI).

You could modify hidden_resources (if this is possible) so as to create "Village" hiddenresources, modeled to look like small/large villiages, which can be placed on the map, with bonuses to population and trade and such, and help give places a purely aesthitistic value.

That sounds likea good point Sahran, the problem being from as far as I can tell is that I have never seen a 'small villiage' before in this game except the fishing villiage, which probs can't be placed on the map unless it's next to a water feature etc.

Of course im just guessing, but i think it would look fine without IMHO.
    Do not think...feeeeeeeeeel, it is like a finger pointing up at the moon...DO NOT stare at the finger, or you will miss alllllll the heavenly beauty!
    Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

Yeah, that's the issue, but I had thought you may be able to add in a new model for the game's files involving resources on the map.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sahran
    A thought: The map will often look barren with few cities, which can hurt the physical value of the map (See BI).

You could modify hidden_resources (if this is possible) so as to create "Village" hiddenresources, modeled to look like small/large villiages, which can be placed on the map, with bonuses to population and trade and such, and help give places a purely aesthitistic value.
    I saw a screenshot of houses/villages wich were placed on the map as trees.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123