Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Map Development

Default Re: Campaign Map Development

thats good stuff. it should give us a great starting point.

Blue Lotus Total War
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Byzantium Total War

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

aye, very nice. One thing, will Religious Henry prevent the Monks from outward expansion? Ideally I'd like them to stay on their island but give them a very high starting wealth and army so they don't waste away and are still a very hard nut to crack. Perhaps we can just make it so that they are unable to build ships? (they will always be an unplayable faction)

@Hoggy: I'm not sure if there is any AI strat that can prevent the Monks from getting of their island. But I don't have enough info, so it will have to be tested I guess. From what I could find 'Religious' means that the AI will focus on building temples and buildings that increase happiness and health and 'Henry' means that the strategy is generating wealth by trade but taking in account peoples happiness/health. So that sounds quite passive to me .

BTW, the Senate in the imperial campaign is also very passive (only naval warfare), but has comfortable napoleon. This quite strange as Napoleon is supposed to mean a moderate aggressiveness. So maybe there is some other thing that makes the Senate so passive.

I guess your suggestion of not being able to build ships can always be used as a last resort. I think they should be able to build ports though, to generate enough trade.

@shifty157: You are probably right about Korea. Hoggy, what kind of faction do you want Korea to be? Do you think it would be in character if they would be more aggressive? I guess for the gameplay it would be better?!
    There are only 10 kinds of people: those who can read binary and those who cannot.

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Campaign Map Development

You can give the Monks ports and ships, but place ports in places where it's impossible to get (like surrounded by impassable dense forest or mountains), and make all the coasts of Monks' island cliffs (or other obstacles you want)so the Monks wouldn't be able to get their troops on ships and still be able to conduct sea warfare and trade.

Regards
    EC

If you do that though, the player won't be able to invade the island. Just don't let them build ships.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

well, if you give them a huge starting wealth, why would they need to trade at all anyway?
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Why arent the monks going to be playable?

In RTW vanilla, there's some kind of 'seafaring' trait for units.

Maybe you can turn it off for the Monk's army?

Can't you just make it so that the monks can't build ships? Difficult to leave the island swimming...

[GG]von Döbeln

Yeah, corsair monks seems strange to me..
    Bulten of Sweden

Aggravated Ursine Member The Panda Centurion's Avatar

Either remove the ability of the Monks to build ships (recommended by me) or remove the seafaring trait in all Monk units. Either way will work, although i prefer no. 1 as the sea will not be choked by Buddhist corsairs.

- Panda
    The Panda Centurion
    (click on image for large version)

i've been revamping the camp map. i will post some pictures later tonight. i hope some of you will find the revisions more exciting.

Edit: here are those pics i promised

Last edited by blindfaithnogod; 03-15-2005 at 04:11.

Blue Lotus Total War
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Byzantium Total War

No monks for asskicking? Crazyness. I would recomend makign them playable w/ full ship abilities and seeing if you can make them more passive. Allied to all at beginning except demons?

added pics look up

Blue Lotus Total War
    Byzantium Total War

That's beautiful. It really looks like a real world. Awesome job!

Awsomeness!! What part of Asia is it?

Question Re: Campaign Map Development

Wow! great work! but how did you do that with the terrian thoug?
    Ive never seen a ground type like that in RTW did you make it or do you have a different version or somthing?

hoggy has made new textures for some of the ground types.

Blue Lotus Total War
    Byzantium Total War

Unhappy Re: Campaign Map Development

ohh...sweet!

It looks nice, but even more importantly, looks like theres some nice choke points. Great work!

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

looks really interesting i've been a lurker for a while now and this mod looks great!!! how long are we expected to be waiting for a realease?

the map looks great! especially the new ground texture keep it up

there's gossip about an expansion pack for RTW in september. and i would think this mod wont be out till that supposed expansion. that said it could take longer or it could take less time. hoggy still has to make a significant amout of models. he has 1 other guy helping make a few models. (for the mongels) but he's only done a couple. and were really not sure how much more he will do...... long story short, dont hold youre breath for a release. it will come when it comes.
    but thanks for the intrest. it helps motivate.

Blue Lotus Total War
    Byzantium Total War

A place thats wet. And green. And there's a big man-made canal right down the middle...

Quote Originally Posted by blindfaithnogod
    there's gossip about an expansion pack for RTW in september. and i would think this mod wont be out till that supposed expansion. that said it could take longer or it could take less time. hoggy still has to make a significant amout of models. he has 1 other guy helping make a few models. (for the mongels) but he's only done a couple. and were really not sure how much more he will do...... long story short, dont hold youre breath for a release. it will come when it comes.
    but thanks for the intrest. it helps motivate.
    That could be to your advantage.

After all, with the expansion the Barbarians can create Hordes. So if you make the Demons be able to make hordes, it would be very interesting.
    Nothing is better than eternal happiness.
    A hamburger is better than nothing.
    Therefore, a hamburger is better than eternal happiness.

Very nice textures for the campaign map...

And it is cool that the monks are passive and not given to conquest, but still...it would be nice to be able to play the monks...I love their elan, their fanaticism, thier resilience and speed. They're the ultimate soldier of all the units I've ever played in TW...even some of the high tech Germanic super foot knights from MTW weren't as much fun as sending out a pack of warrior monks to create some mayhem..

Perhaps the route to go is to somehow make it impossible for the monks faction to actually conquer any other provinces but their own. That way,they could become this benevolent force, these allies to any civilized faction (not the demons or mongols) and thus a force of heroic rescuers able to fight as allies.

This would be a lot of fun. You could dispatch your forces (yes,with a navy) to help your allies in thier hour of need and fight off assaults on your own home island. I played the Danes like this once in MTW. I had all these allies and just kept going around helping them. It was with WesMod and my allies became incredibly loyal to me; I came to their rescue and they came to mine time and time again.

This gave rise to excellent 3 and 4 and even 5 faction battles. I think it was Me (the Danes) allied with the French and the HRE against the Mongols and all of us against a large native rebel force..That was a huge chaotic battle with many acts of outstanding selfless valour; the field was strewn with corpses when it was all over. Very satisfying..
    Last edited by Ferocious_Imbecile; 06-17-2005 at 03:02.

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

hey hoggy/blindfaithnogod can we have a few more updated pics of the finished campaign map please? i really want to see the complete map..... also could it be of the major points eg. monk island... japan... india etc cos i really want to see it... thanks!

GMM

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocious_Imbecile
    Very nice textures for the campaign map...

And it is cool that the monks are passive and not given to conquest, but still...it would be nice to be able to play the monks...I love their elan, their fanaticism, thier resilience and speed. They're the ultimate soldier of all the units I've ever played in TW...even some of the high tech Germanic super foot knights from MTW weren't as much fun as sending out a pack of warrior monks to create some mayhem..

Perhaps the route to go is to somehow make it impossible for the monks faction to actually conquer any other provinces but their own. That way,they could become this benevolent force, these allies to any civilized faction (not the demons or mongols) and thus a force of heroic rescuers able to fight as allies.

This would be a lot of fun. You could dispatch your forces (yes,with a navy) to help your allies in thier hour of need and fight off assaults on your own home island. I played the Danes like this once in MTW. I had all these allies and just kept going around helping them. It was with WesMod and my allies became incredibly loyal to me; I came to their rescue and they came to mine time and time again.

This gave rise to excellent 3 and 4 and even 5 faction battles. I think it was Me (the Danes) allied with the French and the HRE against the Mongols and all of us against a large native rebel force..That was a huge chaotic battle with many acts of outstanding selfless valour; the field was strewn with corpses when it was all over. Very satisfying..

With the Braindead AI, I do not believe that would be possible. :( (To date, I have only kept an alliance going and developed a kind of comradeship with the AI through making Macedon my Protectorate. I bought my way into military-access so I could land and defeat the Brutii, not to mention sweeping up Italy to take some pressure off them as carthage, and yet they turned on me until for some reason they became my protectorate.)

It's an excellent idea, but it seems only feasable for the humans. Perhaps remove the island altogether, and if it is not too much work, develop them in the region of Tibet?

Also, if the Silk road is not going to be developed akin to Parthia and Armenia's ability to make it, perhaps there could be at the south-eastern edge of the map a few territories representing trade colonies in the Arabian sea or of one of the Eastern African trade nations? It might spark up more interest in trade and ability for some factions designed to be rich to make money.

I'm uncertain of the effect of huge tracks of land with no providences - it's why it seems most players stray from conquering the Scythian Territories. Is there a balancing reason behind the more spaced out providences and cities? It was a ploy to make empire's difficult in the old game/mods by having so many cities to manage.

Very much like it though! It's so refreshing to see an eastern Mod, and especially one which takes into account India.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahran
    With the Braindead AI, I do not believe that would be possible. :( (To date, I have only kept an alliance going and developed a kind of comradeship with the AI through making Macedon my Protectorate. I bought my way into military-access so I could land and defeat the Brutii, not to mention sweeping up Italy to take some pressure off them as carthage, and yet they turned on me until for some reason they became my protectorate.)

It's an excellent idea, but it seems only feasable for the humans. Perhaps remove the island altogether, and if it is not too much work, develop them in the region of Tibet?

Also, if the Silk road is not going to be developed akin to Parthia and Armenia's ability to make it, perhaps there could be at the south-eastern edge of the map a few territories representing trade colonies in the Arabian sea or of one of the Eastern African trade nations? It might spark up more interest in trade and ability for some factions designed to be rich to make money.

I'm uncertain of the effect of huge tracks of land with no providences - it's why it seems most players stray from conquering the Scythian Territories. Is there a balancing reason behind the more spaced out providences and cities? It was a ploy to make empire's difficult in the old game/mods by having so many cities to manage.

Very much like it though! It's so refreshing to see an eastern Mod, and especially one which takes into account India.

I like the idea of making the Persian Gulf and far Western silk road provinces potentially very valuable trade regions. It's sets up a whole different dynamic to the game, making thefactions struggle harder for a goal that will draw them right accross the map instead of just squabbling with their immediate neighbours..

The problem is with some people wanting to go invade those territories across the sea to conquer them, when they are supposde to represent trade routes in the Persian gulf (Or across the horn of africa). However, this may clash with the plans of Hoggy, whom could want a fantasy East, unaffliated with the West.

You brought up a very good point though, currently there's no reason to venture out and invade other territories (perhaps except India, which was said to be rich?) because there isn't the allure that existed in Vanilla.

Whatever the case, it would definately be for a future version. It's great as it stands right now. And I mean no offense to Hoggy or any developer or fan, just tossing out ideas.

I have a suggestion for china 1 and china 2.

I think a north south split would work better than the current east west split. china 1 gets the south and china 2 gets the north. It creates more possibilities in terms of game play.

Possibility 1:
    a civil war broke out, both factions weakened and get invaded by other factions

Possibility 2:
    civil war broke out but one dominates the other very quickly. China unified and start outward expansion

Possibility 3:
    stay in peace, china 1 goes north and collide with korea, mongol and japan. while china 2 goes south and collide with india

BTW, historically, north south split of china is quite common.

sorry...

I mean china 1 goes south and china 2 goes north in possibility 3...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast