Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zulu Mod!!!

The Lion Prince Member Sundjata Keita's Avatar

Default Zulu Mod!!!

Zulu Total War

The Zulu mod is already in production

It will go from the rise of Shaka at the start of the 1800's to the zulu's downfall about 1870. The exact dates are still undecided.

The map will be of South Africa and Zululand but the historical battles will probably be in other areas of Africa as well.

The team so far is me doing the modelling and Dclare doing the campaign map. Any help of course is always welcome and we will probably be co-operating with the africa colonization mod with some things.

Here is the first unit, the main zulu warrior infantry (impis)

The factions will include as many of the native tribes as possible as well as the Boers and British. The Zulus will be the senate and the tribes they encompassed will be the roman factions. The tech trees will be altered massively so that the zulus have an advantage in number of men but not in skill. The mod will be as realistic to the time as possible without making the game boring. Later on the Zulus will get riflemen as they did in real life by stealing the weapons of dead British soldiers.

Post here if you want to join the team, make a contibution or give any historical information or pm me.

Default Re: Zulu Mod!!!

im pretty sure my mod is officially dead since im the only person doing work on it, so i guess i can join i know how to edit texts and im trying to learn about how to make a map. we also might be ableto alter the old forums for my mod to be used for this one.

1800's to 1870's...bit of a short time span don't you think?

Thats a shame about the colonization as it would of been a really great mod. If you could get the forums for this one that would be great as there are a lot of things that need discussing including game balance, the map, buildings, dates, historical battles, traits, the family trees etc.

It's good that you can edit texts as that is one of my weakpoints. I think Dclare is handling the map but I'm sure help would be much appreciated. One of the things we are getting sorted now is where the various tribes will go. Here is a quick map I did a while ago. It is very rough and I know who went in some of the question mark regions now.

@dark_shadow89

Turns will probably be months - I think some other mods are doing this aren't they - any news on the scripting problems people were having before of making turns into months

the forums are completely editable and after i talk to sir ireland i will change them, he is a historian and would like to learn how to skin so he might be able to help.

Excellent!

Some screenshots of the warwickshire regiment on foot coming soon.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

I've been waiting for this. Good stuff

Definitely looks original and exciting , best of luck with it. It's certainly a period of history that's very interesting when you read up on it and the meteoric rise of Shaka and the Zulu fits in quite well with the RTW game concept of going out there and conquering everyone!

Just one small question: I was wondering why the impis are armed with blades? Did they not fight with stabbing spears?
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Can't wait, this and the Napoleonic Mod shall be the best (my favourite time periods).
    Time to re-enact the Defense of Rorke's Drift, and to win Isandhlwana (as the mighty Empire, of course)
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Epistolary Richard
    Just one small question: I was wondering why the impis are armed with blades? Did they not fight with stabbing spears?
    The blades are assegai, I think I will redo the model for them as it does not make it obvious enough. You are thinking of Iklwas the spear that they used before Shaka invented the assegai.

This is what the assegai should look like

It is kind of like a spear ended knife - looking back at the model it looks way too much like a sword.

Anyway thanks for all the support everyone

my chemistry teacher went to south africa last summer and took a picture of one of the tribal flags, i created a flag that looks as accurate as i can get it at the moment

Nice flag. Do you know what tribe it is from?

Quote Originally Posted by Sundjata Keita
    The blades are assegai, I think I will redo the model for them as it does not make it obvious enough. You are thinking of Iklwas the spear that they used before Shaka invented the assegai.
    Ah yes, the iklwa, the wonderful weapon that was named after the noise it makes when you pull it from the gut of an enemy.

re: turns as months
    A couple of other people were working on the scripting, there's a thread around the modding forums someplace that goes into it. I think Myrddraal might be your person.

Something else you'll have to address is firearms, again other mods are planning to use them but I don't know how far they've got with them.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Firearms:

I have done some modelling for the WASP mod and pike and musket and so have already got a musket model. As for the animations they will be done at a later stage I think but I know it is possible. This was the only thing holding me back from making this mod a little time ago. Now Napoleonic total war 2 have shown it is possible.

Turns as months:

I have read the posts about turns as months and the last I heard is Myrddraal was having problems loading saved games.

i will ask my teacher for the tribes name, and then i will post it here. we allready have a redcoat model, courtesy of one of the ex africa colonization team. will send it to you when i get home.

Technically the area being covered will be kwaZulu Natal, parts of Mozambique, Orange-Free State, the Transvaal but focusing mainly on that particular area and chronicling the rise of the Zulu empire under Dingiswayo and then Shaka and the latter's successors. The period will run from 1800 to somewhere circa 1890 (when was gold discovered around the Transvaal again?) but it will definitely not include the great Anglo-Boer War. I've been conceptualizing this project for some time now, it was originally meant to run with the old CHINA map from MTW. The game will balance out as follows:

african tribal groups - javelin type weapons, skirmish tactics, development into melee tactics with iklwa type weapons. potentially superior in close fighting. Basic unit is a hunter-gatherer hunting group.

european colonials - firearm type weapons (musket and rifle), close and then open order tactics, firepower range advantage, poor in close fighting. Basic unit is the colonial farmer armed with a miscellany of old muskets.

Thus the balance is struck by the europeans being able to kill at vastly longer range and hopefully demoralize their foes before they come in close while the african tribes strive to get within close range and to improve their melee tactics.

Comte de Clare
    "Ad majoram Dei gloriam"

the forums are alive and need to be populated! anybody who is a team member post about yourself in the "current members" sub-forum.

http://s9.invisionfree.com/Zulu__Total_War/index.php

sundjata keita: beware this is a completely new forum due to the porblems we were having with the old forums.

great work stitchmaster1. I urge lots of people to sign up even if you don't want to be in the team. Also could people post links to the forums on other popular totalwar sites.

Also the models for the wawrickshire regiment are done but the vertex weights are messed up and so the models fly upside down. Might post some screenshots to show you.
    Last edited by Sundjata Keita; 03-04-2005 at 19:11.

www.stratcommandcenter.com

www.twcenter.com

those are the only other rtw sites that i know of

You forget the official site:

www.totalwar.com

Have posted links at all three other sites and just for the record its twcenter.net

Hopefully this will mean more support which is always good news.

Does anyone know if the vertex weights in the vertex weights table can be saved or transfered to a different file? I have fixed the problem with the wawrickshire regiment infantry but it was quite time consuming and there is probably a quicker way to do it. Just got to do the textures for the backback and solve a few other glitches and it is finished. Screenshots coming soon.

Here is a working shot of the wawrickshire regiment infantry

Another little question out to any modellers - I know that in game if the textures mess up it is because of in the uv map more than one map assigned to each vertex but does anybody know how to find out which vertexes are causing the problem? I have tried breaking all the vertexes in the uv map but this seams to do nothing.

Wow that was quick!! Looks really nice - all they need now are the Martini-Henrys!

A comment though, perhaps the packs can be a little bit smaller, more rounded (less box like) - though keep that boxy look for another chap we'll be doing - the rear echelon troops (blue dress uniformed dudes)!! Also could you add a 3D model of the white ammunition pouch for the Slade-Wallace equipment and the blackened leather valise on the right (those pouches visible in your screenshot) and maybe make the neck area a bit more visible so we can detail that as well. Those are the key points of detail in a British infantryman I think - the facings on the cuffs, the shoulder-straps and the neck stock cuz thats where they usually have distinguishing buttons/pins and stuff.

Great work on the impi infantry. As we go along I hope we can do differentiations like for married and unmarried regiments, the regiments that used the bigger (almost man sized) shields and the ones that used the smaller new-type ones. All African troops would start off with basic throwing assegais and have the knobkerrie perhaps as close-in weapon but only after development (Marian reforms sort of thing) would they get to develop the short stabbing iklwa.

Will post here and in our own forum my ideas for ZTW.

Best regards,
    Comte de Clare
    "Ad majoram Dei gloriam"

Default ZTW Terms and Ideas

This is how I planned the ZTW (originally for MTW) mod. It's in list form and actually if anyone has information, comments or ideas about the various topics feel free to speak up. Various technological advances listed including military tactics, economics, medicine, religion, etc. will be represented by constructable buildings.

Zulu Total War

TRIBES
    Mthethwa - south near Tugela River
    abakwaZulu
    eLangeni
    Matabele - built on core of Khumalo tribe

Ndwandwe - Nongoma, north near Pongola River
    Hlube - north
    Ngwane - north in Swaziland, periodically at war with Ndwandwe, later became the Swazi
    Qwabe - near coast
    Buthelezi - west of Mthethwa
    abaQulusi
    Mfengu - central region?
    Xhosa - south Cape area
    Tswana - Botswana?
    Tsonga - central Mozambique
    Shona - Rhodesia
    Sotho - Basotho "Basuto land" or "Lesotho"
    Pedi - Sekhukhuneland area bounded by the Limpopo, Vaal and Komati rivers

NGUNI FACTIONS
    Zulu amaBandla (Tribal Council) - Senate Faction - Senzangakhona
    Mthethwa - Dingiswayo
    Buthelezi
    Ndwandwe - Zwide
    Gqosa
    uSuthu
    Mandhlakazi
    Swazi (Swaziland)
    Xhosa
    Mfengu
    Basotho (Basotholand - Butha Buthe/Thaba Bosiu)
    Nyawos
    Ndebele (Rhodesia/Transvaal)

NGUNI MEDICINE
    Herbalist (iNyanga)
    Medicines (umuThi)
    Royal Herbalist (Royal iziNyanga)
    Witch Doctor (isAngoma)
    Throwing of Bones (Amathambo)
    Spirit Powers (Imimoya Nayambibi)
    Diviner (isAnusi)
    Animal Charmer - enables the troop type 'Simba pride'

NGUNI ECONOMICS
    Cattle Herding
    Mixed Pastoralism
    Mixed Crop Cultivation
    Corn Cultivation
    Slave Traders

NGUNI SMITHING TECHNIQUES
    Primitive Smithing Techniques
    Contemporary Smithing Techniques
    Ancient Smithing Techniques
    Modern Smithing Techniques

NGUNI TRADING
    Portuguese Trading Post
    European Trading Post
    Missionary Visitors
    Mission Station
    Mission School
    European Residency

NGUNI POLITICS
    Tribal Elders
    Chieftainship (Induna)
    Clan Alliances
    Tribal King
    High Council (Ibandhla)

NGUNI CIVICS
    Tribal Homesteads (Izimizi)
    Minor Kraal
    Military Kraal (Ikhanda)
    Economic Kraal
    Royal Garrison Barracks (Amakhanda)

NGUNI MILITARY
    Warrior Age Groups (iNtanga)
    Regiment (Ibutho)
    Regimental Organization (Amabutho)

NGUNI MILITARY INNOVATIONS
    Hunting and Dancing
    Primitive Drill
    Barefoot Marching - increased speed but lower morale
    Military Drill
    Close-In Assegai Fighting
    Uniformity of Dress
    Shield Storage Huts
    Auxilliary Porters (uDibi)

NGUNI DISCIPLINE AND MORALE
    Rites of Passage (Circumcision)
    Passage into Manhood (isiCoco)
    Washing the Assegai
    Immediate Reward and Punishment at Royal Reviews
    Cleansing Ceremonies
    Tests of Courage
    Periodic Cleansing of the Weak
    Banning Circumcision
    Female Regiments
    Close Discipline
    Horns of the Buffalo (Impondo Zankomo)
    Hit-and-Run Tactics
    Royal Feasts
    Mounted Warriors

NGUNI WEAPONRY
    Nguni Warclub (Knobkerrie)
    Nguni Throwing Spear (Umkhonto)
    Nguni Stabbing Spear (Iklwa)
    Nguni Warshield (isiHlangu)
    Nguni Regimental Shields (isiHlangu)
    Nguni Small Warshield (umBumbuluzo)

NGUNI UNIT SIZES
    Age Group of Warriors (iNtanga) - 25 (50)
    Warrior Company (iViyo) - 50 (100)

Veteran Warriors (Umpakati)
    Young Warriors (Izimpohlo)

NGUNI REGIMENTAL NAMES
    inGobamakhosi
    iNluyengwe
    uMbonambi
    uThulwana

EUROPEAN FACTIONS
    English Settlers - English Militia - Natal Constabulary - Imperial Yeomanry
    Burgher Voortrekkers - Boer Militia - Boer Mounted Police - Boer Commando
    Native Scouts - European Explorers - European Hunting Party - Great White Hunters

Khoi-Khoi Mounted Scouts (Dutch Boer)
    Native Levies - Natal Native Contingent (English Colonist)

EUROPEAN STRUCTURES
    English Missionaries - English Mission Station - Anglican Church - Anglican Cathedral
    European Traders - European Observers - European Intervention

BRITISH REGIMENTS
    King's Dragoon Guards
    Duke of Cambridge Lancers
    Buffs
    Warwickshires
    Kings Royal Rifle Corps
    British Regulars
    British Volunteers
    Highland Light Infantry (trews)
    Gordon Highlanders (kilted)
    Troop of South African Mounted Rifles
    Natal Native Horse
    Natal Native Contingent
    Royal Marine Light Infantry
    Naval Brigade
    Naval Brigade Gatling
    Royal Artillery Field Battery
    Royal Artillery Rocket Battery
    Royal Artillery Heavy Battery
    "Ad majoram Dei gloriam"

Exellent! Well done on getting all that info

A few points

The zulus had an autocratic goverment and so them have a council seems wrong. Instead I suggest we have the senate as the upper class which were the lords or cheifs of the different areas (called amaKhosi).

To clear up the zulu regimenting system. The zulu warsystem consisted of 14 regiments each divided into wings. The wings would be decided by age,whether the person was married and strength. The numbers of the regiments differed greatly and when one wing was depleted there would be a general levy in which young boys of age 15 would be given one year probation and training and then a new regiment would be formed. Then over time the young men in the new regiment would be drafted up to other regiments which were depleted of men. The wings were also divided into companies which often were given a kraal of there own. The leaders of each regiment were called Induna-Yesibaya and were about the same age as the regiment. Second in command were the Induna-Yohlangoti who looked after the regiment.

One idea I thought of was having the wardogs as cattle herders beacuse the zulus often brought cattle with them into battle. They would not be able to attack if that is possible.

Some Nguni crafts are

Metalwork (basic weaponary)
    Basketry
    Beadwork
    Fabrics (making robes)

The Xhosa were part of the southern Nguni people

The abaQulusi were defeated pretty quickly and should not get a tribe of their own

The Matabele were people who escaped Shakas rule and are basically Nguni people and therefore should have a good tech-tree

The Mfengu were situated in the East Cape province but were allied with the British and so were mostly situated around wherever the conquests of the British went. Then they formed levies and khoi-khoi.

Levy

You forgot the San or Bushmen, I know they originated more in the region of the Kalahari desert but they did spread across Southern Africa so I think they should be included.

Also I think the tribes should be oriantated more towards a religious and mystic life. Zulu religion includes belief in a creator god (Nkulunkulu), who is above interacting in day-to-day human affairs. It is possible to appeal to the spirit world only by invoking the ancestors (AmaDlozi) through divination processes. As such, the diviner, who is almost always a woman, plays an important part in the daily lives of the Zulu. It is believed that all bad things, including death, are the result of evil sorcery or offended spirits. No misfortune is ever seen as the result of natural causes. Another important aspect of Zulu religion is cleanliness. Separate utensils and plates were used for different foods, and bathing often occurred up to three times a day.

For medicine I think you have got everything right. There needs to be the inclusion of some powerful drugs though for healing (intelezi)

Some ceremonies which could happen at a building with a changable option (such as an ampiatheatre) could include religious ceremonies like ukubonga ukuthetha

Think thats about it, don't know if you've got the European stuff right but if it's as good as the Zulu stuff that's great!

Are you going to do historical battles..

You must

Yes of course historical battles are a must. A preliminary list of battles

Isandlwana
    Rorkes Drift
    Qokli Hill
    Battle of Umbrella River
    Khambula
    Zulu Mountain
    Hlobane

If anyone can think of anymore or has any suggestions please post here.
    Last edited by Sundjata Keita; 03-06-2005 at 11:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundjata Keita
    Yes of course historical battles are a must. A preliminary list of battles

Isandlwana
    Rorkes Drift
    Qokli Hill
    Battle of Umbrella River
    Khambula
    Zulu Mountain
    Hlobane

If anyone can think of anymore or has any suggestions please post here.
    What about Blood River, betweem the Voortrekkers and Zulu in 1838. Or is this too early?

Not at all is this too early and how could I forget the battle of blood river, wasn't there a film called Blood River? Didn't really look into the battles that the Boers fought. Good point though

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast