Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garrison Effects

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Default Re: Garrison Effects

I can also say that BI peasants only give half of their value to the garrison effect.

RTW peasants work as usual.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Default Re: Squalor

I couldn't find any research on how garrisons affect public order, so I did some myself.
    They seem to work rather like several other features of RTW.

Results
    Garrisons have a maximum effect of 80%, rising by 5% "blocks", determined simply by
    the percentage of garrison troops to total population, multiplied by a factor of seven (7).

Applications
    1. As a rough rule of thumb, this means one peasant unit per thousand population will provide maximum garrison effect.
    2. It is cheaper to use peasants than monthly games for cities with populations below about 16,666.
    Daily games are more expensive than peasants until populations reach about 33,333.

Discussion
    Essentially there is only one simple magic number here -- the factor of seven that modifies garrison as a percentage of population. There are small rounding issues due to the 5% PO increments. I have only tested the results with the Julii. It is just possible other factions may be more or less efficient with garrisons. The number seven is quite probably no mystery. The developers probably set it so that the "one unit of peasants per thousand pop" would work.

Simple examples
    Monthly games cost 400 denarii for 20% PO mod.
    Daily games cost an additional 400 denarii for an additional 10% PO mod --
    twice as expensive, hence requiring twice the pop to justify.

At 12,000 pop, 3 units of peasants give 20% PO mod for 300 denarii upkeep.
    Monthly games: 20% PO mod for 400 denarii.
    At 24,000 pop, 6 units of peasants give 20% PO mod for 600 denarii upkeep.
    At 24,000 pop, 3 units of peasants give 10% PO mod for 300 denarii upkeep.
    Daily games: 10% PO mod for 400 denarii. (daily only effect)
    Daily games: 30% PO mod for 800 denarii. (total effect)
    At 36,000 pop, 9 units of peasants give 20% PO mod for 900 denarii upkeep.

At 1,000 pop, 120 peasants are 12% of pop, times 7 exceeding 80% for full mod.
    At 1,200 pop, 120 peasants are 10% of pop, times 7 for 70% PO mod.
    At 2,000 pop, 240 peasants are 12% of pop, times 7 exceeding 80% for full mod.

There are rounding issues, but queuing units deals with this.

Strategy
    Of course, there are times when I find I need all the PO I can muster, regardless of cost.
    Corrupt governors with high influence are a way of "buying" PO,
    just like daily games and races -- I'd rather have the city and its income than not!

Remember, even when the display says a city is "negative" income,
    it is still making money for you and paying for your army.
    The negative is just a way of showing its income relative to other cities its size.

Unhappy cities are cities at risk, but negative income cities simply need economic buildings.
    Good public order should be exploited for tax. Tax provides a way of turning PO into cash.
    But the reverse is also true, high income cities can afford garrisons and games if needed.
    But, even better, the larger your empire, the more you can afford to hold "difficult" cities.

Happy gaming!
    Last edited by Alastair Haines; 02-22-2008 at 08:07.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12