Thread: Idea for nicknames

Default Idea for nicknames

Just had a great idea for making family nicknames. As generals can alrady get nicknames like victor or the mean, how about region specific nicknames? Eg. Africanus or Germanicus.

Question for the modders- is it posible to mod the nicknames and if so could you link the battle that defeats a faction to bestowing upon the vitorious general a suitable nickname eg germanicus etc?

Also does anyone know how common it was to give names like this out, was there any ibericus or graecus for example?

Cheers
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
    -Voltaire-

Cry Havoc and let slip the FERRETS OF WAR!

Default Re: Idea for nicknames

Not common at all, to my knowledge. Don't forget, even Gaius Marius never got a cognomen. To get one you had to have had some genuine triumphs in battles in that region, as well as the support of the Senate.

Off hand, I can only think of two people who got such cognomens. One was Ggaius Marius' superior in Numidia. With the Senate so against Marius and with his connections, he was named Caecilius Metellus Numidicus.

The other is a poor guy named Marcus Antonius. He was severely trounced in a naval battle off Crete, and then again in a land battle on Crete. Then a bunch of pirates forced him to sign a treaty with them. Some wit decided to give him the cognomen "Creticus", which could mean a celebration of a victory at Crete, but which also means "man of chalk".

What about Scipio Africanus?
    "Only when the human spirit is allowed to invent and create, only when individuals are given a personal stake in deciding economic policies and benefitting from their success -- only then can societies remain economically alive, dynamic, progressive, and free. Trust the people."
    Ronald Reagan

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger
    Just had a great idea for making family nicknames. As generals can alrady get nicknames like victor or the mean, how about region specific nicknames? Eg. Africanus or Germanicus.

Question for the modders- is it posible to mod the nicknames and if so could you link the battle that defeats a faction to bestowing upon the vitorious general a suitable nickname eg germanicus etc?

Also does anyone know how common it was to give names like this out, was there any ibericus or graecus for example?

Cheers
    you missed Britannicus, although he was the son of Emperor Claudius rather than a title adopted by the old bloke himself.

Nice idea, we looked at it and decided that the code needed didn't justify it overall. The VnVs system - and this is what produces the cognomens - had already had quite a lot of time spent on it, both coders and in my case coming up with the VnVs. For geographically-related cognomens you'd need extra trigger conditions including a way of telling that a particular general had conquered all the provinces of 'Germania' or wherever. And while it was a 'neat and cool' idea, it wasn't quite as neat and cool as putting in the retainers.
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

At the storyteller-

Guess the whole issues of cognomens are like triumphs- if youve got a general powerful enough to get one then youve got to be extra careful in case he gets ideas above his station

Incidentaly Creticus, sounds close to cretin- coincidence?

At Captain Fishpants-
    Yeah I agree- id rather have retainers too :)

Maybe one way would be to link the trigger to the death of a faction, maybe you could give the name to the faction leader or the highest ranking general in the newly captured region. Hmmm, I see the problem...

If I ever get into modding ill look into it.

Cheers
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
    -Voltaire-

Cry Havoc and let slip the FERRETS OF WAR!

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

It should be possible to give the Romans the names.
    There is the trait that says: Despises Germans/any other faction. You only get that after some wild victory if I'm not wrong. We could 'just' give those traits an epiphet like 'Carthacus', 'Germanicus' ect ect...

You also forgot Scipio Africanus the Younger...
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    It should be possible to give the Romans the names.
    There is the trait that says: Despises Germans/any other faction. You only get that after some wild victory if I'm not wrong. We could 'just' give those traits an epiphet like 'Carthacus', 'Germanicus' ect ect...

You also forgot Scipio Africanus the Younger...
    I have a Scipii Roman General who has the "Despises Carthaginians" trait, but he never went out of his birth city of Capua or fought ANY battle, so I don't think it's victory-related...

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

There's a small chance of getting the trait when coming to age (more so if his father has the trait), but it can be get from a wild victory also. So you just have to put the epithet trait to one of those triggers.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Yes, just looked at it now...

It does come from coming of age as well. That certainly decreases the value of such an epithet.

So I guess if you want the name like that you would have to remove the possibility of getting it when coming of age.

But really, couldn't we just add a Roman trait? One that only grants this and some small moralebenefit or something. Should be possible...
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!