Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Investigation of the Phalanx formation

Default Re: Step two three, shuffle two three, dance two three : the big phalanx question

As the Germans, my main phalax strategy was making varius U shapes with a few Phalax units. I'd get up within a decent range (out of phalax, charging), then set up the U quickly. Then i'd put screetching women and maybe some cavelery within the U if it was reversed (facing me). The enemy will swarm around the phalax and they'll hold off and fight the enemy. The screetching women will sap morale and will send units routing for a little while, then I just use the cavelery and charge their running backs.

They usually go in singles so it's just a matter of chopping down.

Forward Us are mostly offensive, I leave the phalax open like \_/ and then when the enemy comes in I close it up, if there is alot of guys I have back up Us incase I get surrounded.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Default Re: Step two three, shuffle two three, dance two three : the big phalanx question

I can confirm what barocca and Colovion have said.
    In my experience there are two "stances" of the phalanx.
    Defensive stance:
    You have your Phalanx in phalanx mode and guard mode.
    This is most immobile and perfect if you're attacked. Your phalanxes work like a wall, everything that charges this wall will be killed. It's good to have your formation deep to repell even cavalry and chariots. Keep in mind that in this mode your phalanx will only kill when charged. Shuffling to the right does occur.
    Aggressive stance:
    Guard mode off and in phalanx mode:
    Your phalanx can move at reasonable speed. When ordered to attack an enemy unit, it will play its "thrusting" animation and will kill. If you had the guard mode on it would only push the opponent away or keep it at bay. You can test this when two phalanxes push against each other and you take yours off guard mode.
    I tested this yesterday evening and even my Greec militia hoplites did well against the seleucids scythed chariots. BTW, when two of your phalanxes fight one enemy phalanx, it's most of the time recommended to take one of yours off phalanx mode and attack with the secondary weapon from the rear or flank.

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

R'as al Ghul has explained it perfectly,

I would still recommend the double click when using Phalanx in Aggressive Stance,
    and preferably at about the same range as if you were using a Hastati or other pilum/javelin armed infantry unit.

I think that - range for a unit to become classed as "charging" - may be a function of game mechanics.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

I have to say, after reading this thread yesterday i thought i'd try out the Phalanx formation, i'd not used it before, and i have to agree with Barocca & R'as (& anyone else who's made the point) As soon as i turned off guard, my men couldn't wait to stick the pointy end in the enemy; Otherwise, while attacking they would do a maneuver something similar to doing the Charlston!?! Which while quite nice didn't really help!

I say who need to guard anyway, attack, attack, attack!

*Ringo*
    Denuone Latine Loquebar?

Quote Originally Posted by Colovion
    Phalanx units start with Gaurd Mode on, yes.

I've done some tests and it seems that the phalanx units attack much better with the Guard mode off (as many here have attested to).

1) With it Off the phalanx soldiers will not stick together as much but they will be much more agressive and will kill more units as they are attacking. This is only really good against an enemy that is not charging you and you are just worried about fighting, not stopping a charge.

2) With it On it is much better for when the unit is halted to take any kind of charge (especially Cavalry).

Then again, I'm no expert.
    Well I completely agree, Colovion, and it makes sense. Macedonian Phalanx (which everybody regards as THE model) was supposed to be mainly a pinning unit, designed to hold the opposing army's centre, while faster troops flank and finish the job. While in Guard Mode, in RTW, phalanx won't attack because, logically, guard means defend this position, don't let through.

At Gaugamela, against Darius of the Persians, phalanx were screened and supported by lightly armed Greek troops, that harassed the Persian chariots. Heavy cavalry finished the job.

At Pydna, during the Third Macedonian War, Romans crushed the Macedonians because the rest of their enemies army, not the phalanx, failed to perform correctly. The phalanx held the centre, but the flanking maneuvers from other units never occurred. The Macedonians failed to use correctly their cavalry. Romans managed to swiftly exploit gaps in the phalanx, when Macedonians charged after retreating legions.

So, in RTW, if you use only phalanx armies, you're fried - such was the reality. No cavalry, you're fried. No lighter troops, you're fried as well. Have them and not use them is to get slaughtered anyway. Make a phalanx attack when it's orders are to guard/defend it's suicidal.

I think that, in fact, the whole philosophy of the phalanx is surprisingly well implemented in RTW. Though, I do agree that shuffling to one side is exagerated and that you do have to micromanage phalanx in the battlescreen much more than expected... also it's kind of difficult to understand why, even if on Guard mode, an order to attack/charge leads to side-sliding. Maybe this will be corrected.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Quick report: I've been way to busy recently. I've only been able to run one test against the AI with guard off, and none of the other suggestions.

Removing guard did help significantly, but during the course of the 1V1 with another phalanx unit my silver shield pikemen made a complete orbit of the enemy unit, as in shuffling so far that they ended up going the full 360 degrees around the enemy. I kept the replay; on full speed it is quite funny.

I hope to be able to run some more MP tests with Louis tonight.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    ... during the course of the 1V1 with another phalanx unit my silver shield pikemen made a complete orbit of the enemy unit, as in shuffling so far that they ended up going the full 360 degrees around the enemy. I kept the replay; on full speed it is quite funny.
    Is it possible that combining the right drifts of two phalanx units exagerrates this problem?

Not to get over technical, but this kind of dance was a problem, or rather a tendency, during the Peoloponnesian Wars and other Greek vs. Greek battles.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Ok, the test is done; here are the results. Forgive me if I keep this very brief; I have way too many things to do.

Flat map, assorted phalanx units with pikes/spears etc. Same as last time, except just Louis and myself.

Guard mode is responsible for the majority of drifting. If guard mode is off, no matter whether the unit is actively attacking or standing so another hits it, drifting will be substantially reduced.

Turning guard mode off does help the unit engage; not only does it reduce the combat dodging drift but it also encourages the unit to get close enough to attack.

With guard mode off telling a unit to walk behind it's target is more successful. Not perfect or the best, but more successful than with guard on.

Single clicking and double clicking: absolutely no noticeable difference between the two. The people still didn’t yell ‘charge’ either, just ‘attack quickly’. Must be a culture voice set thing.

Taking a charge: a unit of Greek cavalry was charged into the front of a unit of Seleucid silver shield pikemen. With guard off the SSP lost roughly 40 men (my number memory is bad, so no exact number. It’s correct, give or take a man or two) and defeated the cav quickly. With guard off they looked as if they performed the same, until you checked the losses – around 60 men. Having guard on was worse. *But* on the guard charge the cav did hit ever so slightly off centre, so this one could use a bit more investigation. This is the only test where I am mildly dubious as to the results. We didn't have enough cav to run it again; we only took 2 units since our tests were not aimed at cav.

If two phalanx units are fighting then it does not matter if you order an attack or not *as long as guard is off*. We found that the results were identical with both phalanxes moving to attack and with one moving to attack, as long as guard was off on both of them. This is handy; it reduces micromanagement as you can turn guard off and let the enemy close while you handle your flanks.

Size definitely does matter; there is no disputing this at all. Pikes will trash anything with a shorter weapon if met head on, even when the enemy phalanx is not shuffling.

With guard mode off I was interested to see my phalanx start forward and attack of their own accord when the enemy phalanx got close enough. It did this in every guard off and standing still test. They begin to attack *roughly* when other infantry units begin their charge.

froggy conclusion: turn guard mode off at all times. If you have to attack yourself a single click is the best way (double click produces the same result but tires your finger out more :p), but if the enemy are coming to you then standing is fine.

Now I shall try to make some headway in my PM/email inboxes.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

The right drift, although historically correct is a gameplay nuisance. Only for that I'd put phalanx off guard.
    On that part CA got history partly right and not gameplay.
    It is right that the right drift is the cause of funny unit moving in circle...

And Spears, Hoplite and Phalanx are not the same in real history; but there are no difference between Spears and Hoplite in game (as far as I can tell), and what I'd call Phalanx are the one with long pikes.
    The difference is the pike lenght, but in terms of gameplay, they behave roughly the same. Longer pikes are better, that's all

I am a little worried by the frontal cavalry charge against pikes; SSP are rather good pikes, and greek cavalry rather poor cavalry, still SSP got some rather heavy loss on the initial charge. The cavalry jump is just plain ridiculous to see. 40 loss for a good match up against a unit that cost half the price of SSP? Hardly a good performance. Maybe I am still in a MTW set of mind with wrong idea about units supposed to match up, rock, paper, scissor and all that.
    I would not always bet on the phalanx in a phalanx vs cavalry fight... How would SSP do vs legionary cavalry?

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

The difference between spears and spear using hoplites is all to do with the ability to form phalanx. In phalanx mode the first two ranks fight, but the normal, non-phalanx using spears only ever have the first rank fighting, just like any other unit. Triarii get one rank fighting, hoplites get two. That's the difference, and I find it to be a big one. I think that the hoplite's spears may also be longer than the triarii's. That could be something to look at ...

More tests can only be a good thing. I don't have time to do any for a few days, but if anyone else does I am very interested in hearing what happens.

Anniep, if you send TosaInu a PM he should be able to get your old account back.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Oh yes, froggy, you are right...

I was thinking of units able to form Phalanx... Some spears, like Triarii can't form Phalanx.

I was thinking a long the line of spears with phalanx ability and Hoplites (ie the name of the unit) are to be considered the same.

Spears without the phalanx ability are of course of different; in the context of a discussion about phalanx, I forgot those

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

If it has a spear and forms phalanx I call it a phalanx regardless of what it is. If it has a spear and can't form phalanx then it is a spear. If it has a pike and forms phalanx then it is a pike phalanx in the froggy lexicon. So you see when you say spears and hoplites behave the same ...

I can't wait until we get the 'standardised' names for units a la MTW.

Did a quick custom; this is not definitive

1 hopolite vs 1 chosen sword

left hoppers on guard to receive the charge => about 2/3rds sword unit died_think there was 26 sword left

swords wrapped and began to slowly cut down hoppers from flanks

disabled guard flank hoppers began to engage swordsman; bulk of unit remaned facing forward ignoring the flank

disabled phalanx, all hoppers engaged swordsmen swithching from pike to sword

end result: 73 sword dead; 50+hoppers dead...this was with the bulk of the swordsmen dieing in the initial charge.

for receiving a charge i guess it doesn't matter if guard is on or not for caualties; turning phalanx off seems to allow the unit to engage units that have wrapped.

from my last campaign (as Greek) I think barocca has it right

edit: have tried it a few more times; results comparable engaging with guard on/off; standing/"charging"; phalanx or phalanx-like units win the initial meeting and will lose if you do not leave phalanx mode

drift was present in all situations...it appears to be less with guard turned off.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Spears, short phalanx spears, and long phalanx spears/pikes, should all get considerable rank bonuses for depth. I am NOT saying they do. However they should. Part should be defense, part offense, part morale, and part push back. Defense should run deeper than offense, while push back and morale run deeper still.

Here is breakdown of what I'm getting at:
    1. The long pikes present 4 spears before the shields, compared to 2 to 3 for standard phalanx units. It seems that the last one doesn't do any killing from a graphical presentation (probably would when someone penetrates close to the shields.) Ok, for the long spears/pikes, even a fifth or sixth row should give some bonuses. The extra rows provide support when someone goes down or in providing some shoving power, etc. For the shorter ones we should see some bonus up to four or five rows. So the extra rows in the very back back should probably not help offensive stats much, but they should help maintain formation, and they should help with "push back" as well as boosting the morale of the men in front.
    2. Short spears should get rank bonuses of at least 2 and probably 3 or 4. The first row should be engaged and sometimes the 2nd row (when sword axemen are trying to hack at the 2nd row. The 3rd and 4th should help with push back and filling gaps, as well as boosting morale of the men in front.
    3. Swords should *need* some depth as well. It shouldn't boost offense much (ift at all). However, morale would be poor if the men felt unsupported and the men behind the front row would serve some defensive use as well, for helping push if nothing else (though less defensive boost than spears.)
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

I am currently playing Macedonia after a long campaign with Julli and I have found them pretty straight forward. On normal difficulty, normal size units I in most my armies right now have 8-12 Phalanx Pikemen, 2-3 Light Lancers, and Mercs for missle troops. Trying to build a few Archers now to fill out my Armies.

I tried a peace with Greeks, they turned on me so I had to take them out. After that I knew I had to take Brutti out so I took the (2) provinces Brutti had and crossed the small sea with ships to Italy. There I took out (2) Brutti provinces, (1) Scippi Province, then Rome, then finally last (3) Julli cities.

Currently have near (3) full stacks who are spread out and just took (2) Northern Italy Gaul cities and was planning on going North and West and then pure East taking out Dacia and perhaps most of Germania. Then after creating forts to hold Guals in Spain, with Spain and fort for Brittania, fort for Germania was going to go across and South into Greek, Seleucid territory and finally Egypt. Was just playing to get 30-35 territories but could probably easily get 50.

I just line phanlanx units up across in phalanx formation, highlight them all and just right click ahead on the map to close on the enemy. Separately move up Cavalry on flanks, mostly grouped. Separately move up Geneneral unit behind Phalanx, with any missle troops behind the Phalanx units, also moved up separtely. So micromangement, definitely. Often prepare to pull archers, missle troops back and to flank for charging the enemy when they route.

I judge each as different, and micromanage each. When I close, get close enough often the enemy AI would throw a few pila, their missle troops then attack some too. Starting from the right and going left I just highlight a Phalanx unit and right click on the desired enemy infantry unit. Often I have (2) Phalanx units attack one infantry unit, if I especially outnumber the enemy in infantry units. I close, they close, we all start attacking, its nothing really spetacular. My Phalanx is mostly just a "shield". My Cavalry, up till this point +2-3 exp Light Lancers have been enough to flank and attack the enemy in rear and flanks and that accounts for most of the damage. The Cavalry is the "sword".

Usually after the battle, or towards the end I have phalanx units facing all which ways, in, out, toward each other, but mostly its not to big of a issue, they are still in Phalanx formation.They are just all facing different directions because during the course of the battle I will say, "Hey you attack here,'' seeing a opportunity to flank or outnumber the enemy. At this point its best to wait to watch for right moment to send Cavalry, but it is possible to grap unit and attempt to have them "get out of Phalanx formation and have them run to set up a Phalanx flank attack". Just have to be careful and watch out for last minute enemy Cavalry charges into your Phalanxs often turned backs.
    Often for reasons really unknown to me some of the leading men, a few of a Phalanx unit will pop out of and into Phalanx formation, and fight with sword, then switch back to Phalanx. It appears to be mainly if they are being flanked or if the enemy has some how managed to deeply invest themselves into one of my Phalanx units.

I managed to conquer all of Italy without appreciating the ability of Phalanx units to run. During one of my last battles against Gaul I was taking a city and was highly irritated at the Phalanx units desire to run into a breach in the wall and quite literally run all the way in before going to where I wanted them to go.

Watching the first Phalanx unit in the breach get slaughtered mostly by the AI, so me trying to be smart would try to send a Phalanx unit "not in Phalanx formation" but running, hugging the wall, hopeing to avoid the conflict waging in the breach so I could position them to attack in a more advantageous position.

The problem was and I dont know how I missed it before was they would run into the battle, to far into the breach and start fighting with sword, and its not what I wanted.

So I tried playing around with "running" then quickly switching to Phalanx once through the breach and that is probably best bet. Whats interesting is after trying this battle over and over to see what was up with these units I came to appreciate their running ability.

They can be ordered to run, and when you press "f" will rather quickly switch to Phalanx formation. So you have (2) options, it appeared to me: 1) have them charge the enemy then go to Phalanx formation and that works, but if they charge the enemy well, then the leading men of the unit will fight with sword, this is not so bad, for you get well invested into their ranks, and many of the units will still pull out Pikes. Also 2) you can quickly if the enemy unit is near full strength just right before contack switch to Phalanx formation and they will do that too.

I mean I would switch to "no Phalanx formation" double right click on a enemy unit, they would run, and then I had option "with a little micromanagement" to make that individual unit switch to "Phalanx formation" rather quickly.

If the enemy units are near route or half strength then it seems maybe ok to let them get invested in the enemy before switching to Phalanx. If the enemy units are strong then switch to Phalanx right before.

Otherwise in normal battle situations I would just march till close to enemy 8-10 Phalanx units across, and then right to left highlight each individual Phalanx unit and right click on a enemy infantry unit. Seems to work, just have to watch their flanks. Helps if you have more infantry units to begin with. In a battle they are just the shield anyway.

What I still wonder about is their relatively high charge value, and how to use it. I didnt and still do not think they can charge in Phalanx formation. I guessed, and still assume, they get charge bonus when they run into the enemy, which might be to help in breaches, and getting invested in enemy ranks when desired with some degree of shock. I have had some success in switching to Phalanx when doing that when the I outnumber the enemy.

They do have power I see afterwards with battle results, often a +3 Phalanx Pikemen will get many kills and suffer hardly no casulties. Like I said I have generally been successful.

Worst case I saw was in the last Gaul Battle I did, which I ran several times, to try to understand how to do breaches, was (2) near full routed German infantry units just tried to run into my Phalanx units for I had them surrounded, and they routed into a Phalanx unit. I never seen so many units just melt.

I have to admit I still don’t feel like I completely understand them and it has caused me quite some frustration and bewilderment that I have been so successful yet feel like I know nothing. Heck I beat Rome factions without even thinking of using run, which actually causes me more displeasure to realize than satisfaction.

As it stands I just highlight my Phalanx units from right to left and right click once on a single enemy unit to attack. They stay in Phalanx formation and attack mostly organized left to right in North South formation until the enemy starts to route or die. I am satisfied with them being a shield and my Calvary the sword I just wish I understood the Phalanx unit better.

I just checked, Guard mode is on by default. I never really noticed, to change it. That means I have always fought with it on. I never switched it off for my units.

What that means for me on normal diff, normal size units, based on my success I have no idea. They do fight, I have seen it, they do fight organized, in Phalanx formation, they do kill the enemy, I seen it. The fact I have always had it on, I have no idea what that means.

Would they be more effective with it off, I have no idea, they are pretty effective as it is. Lately I just finished off Roman factions, many with +exp.

Now that I think about it, I cant really see a reason for it being on, since I have been mostly attacking. Maybe they would be less likely to engage in sword, and more flexible with their Phalanx formation, but I am grasping. Like I said, sword only seems to occur when heavily invested or flanked with a few units with guard on.

I learned another new thing, lol, after spending 20+ hours playing Macedonia, lol, apparently you can disable Phalanx formation, go to loose, then back to Phalanx and have a loose, wider, Phalanx formation which I am embarassed to admit.

I am kinda under the impression Guard mode reduces attack chance, damage output (something/trade off), but increases defense rating. Pure guess. With Roman Faction I never had guard mode on, unless in certain situations on defensive, never attacking.

Perhaps my Phalanx units would be even more effective with guard mode off. I will have to see.

I have not really experienced as many issues using Phalanx units as some of the posters in this thread. I have for the most thoroughly enjoyed them. My experience has been mostly straightforward but I do have some questions and have had to spend some time thinking about them. It is this endeavor that has brought me here, now. And so I have attempted to read each post in this thread and combine it with my knowledge and experience to create a more complete description of what we are all seeing. Hopefully it can be built upon, and eventually we will understand all the game mechanics of the Phalanx unit. Of all the different ways I have described using Phalanx units none of them are purely defensive, in that you just sit there and do nothing, hence they all have (offensive) to the right of them.

The Phalanx Attacks
    Phalanx Line Attack Aggressive
    Phalanx Line Attack Defensive
    Phalanx Unit-by-Unit Attack Aggressive
    Phalanx Unit-by-Unit Attack Defensive
    Phalanx Run Attack Invest
    Phalanx Run Attack Stop Short

Phalanx Line Attack
    -Aggressive (offensive)
    Highlight all Phalanx formations, take them off of guard mode and right mouse drag a new formation line behind the enemy. The Phalanx formations will move toward the new destination, fights the enemy once engaged and fights aggressively. Aggressively means they will not guard this area, will more or less maintain Phalanx formation but will move and follow the enemy, crossing other Phalanx lines. You can in this situation advantageously have “what might seem impossible” a Phalanx inside another Phalanx formation fighting together. However it is harder to maintain unit responsiveness in that so many men can be so intertwined. I mean those units are more or less committed and it will take a bit of time to reposition them for a attack in another direction, which is highly dependent if they are still engaged with the enemy. It is perhaps best used when you are greatly superior to the enemy in numbers or quality. For once these Phalanx units are aggressively engaged it is hard to maintain a solid line or “hold a cohesive line”. These Phalanx units being more aggressive will often have their flanks and rear exposed to enemy attacks as they position themselves aggressively to engage the enemy. A General would also have to be watchful of all his Phalanx units, because those not engaged with the enemy will continue to their destination if not engaged with the enemy.

-Defensive (offensive)
    Highlight all Phalanx formations, leave them on guard mode and right mouse drag a new formation line behind the enemy. Phalanx Line Attack Defensive is potentially more predictable and conservative. As the units move to their new destination they will once engaged with the enemy, stop and protect themselves and essentially “guard this area”. A General would have to be watchful of his Phalanx units, because those not engaged with the enemy will continue to their destination if not engaged with the enemy. Phalanx formations would be apt to stay in formation, and most of the killing would be the result of the enemy attacking the Phalanx formations. Phalanx formations will be more apt to maintain formation and will not actively, attack the enemy and the potential for a more cohesive, front line is assured. Phalanx units will guard the ground and not cross over each others formations, unless ordered to attack a enemy unit as opposed to aggressive which does it naturally. Guard Mode by Nature is Guard this area. Guard/Defensive Phalanx formations tend to not xcrossx another phalanx formation, and tend to keep their shape and consequently can be easier to extract and reposition.

When these highlighted Phalanx units are “walking” toward this new destination you have right drag clicked behind the enemy they will walk in Phalanx formation if in Phalanx formation, or you can have them run, either way switch to Phalanx plenty time before engaging enemy. Also “backspace” can be used to stop immediately all highlighted units and “F” then to switch to Phalanx formation.

Phalanx Unit-by-Unit Attack
    For either –aggressive or –defensive Phalanx Unit-by-Unit Attack wait till the enemy engages (ultimate defensive) or until they start to charge (defensive-offensive), or you are less than one unit width away (offensive) before selecting individual units to attack for this will help you maintain your frontline.

-Aggressive (offensive)
    This mode, Phalanx Unit by Unit Aggressive is essentially moving up your Phalanx units in a cohesive line by having them all highlighted r-clicking a destinatin in front of the enemy, and then selectively, starting from the right or left going down the line and assigning each Phalanx unit an enemy unit to attack. The unit-by-unit attack and the aggressive attack in general might be best when you are superior to the enemy in number or quality, or when the enemy is about to rout. One could start defensive as a alternative to starting aggressive and once the enemy commits and you feel satisfied you have the advantage just highlight “ctrl-a double click unit card” all Phalanx units and switch too aggressive for example if previously defensive. This could also be done on a unit-by-unit basis if one previously started defensive to take advantage of flanking opportunities or to take advantage of local superiority in numbers on the battlefield.

If one moves up Phalanx units in a cohesive line and selectively assigns each Phalanx unit a enemy unit to attack one must watch for the aggressive Phalanx units opening gaps in the line or exposing themselves to flanking and rear attacks. On aggressive, the Phalanx units once ordered will actively engage, and follow the enemy unit as it shuffles from one position to another. This can cause the aggressive Phalanx unit to cross another friendly Phalanx unit’s formation, exposing its flanks, and opening a hole in the front line.

-Defensive (offensive)
    This mode, Phalanx Unit by Unit Defensive is essentially moving up your Phalanx units in a cohesive line, and then selectively, starting from the right or left going down the line and assigning each Phalanx unit an enemy unit to attack. You can do this either with the intent to be either offensive or defensive.
    In guard mode Phalanx formations will attack an enemy and move toward an enemy once an enemy is right clicked but will fight and engage in guarded mode formation. Meaning the Phalanx formation will not actively (a frontline Pikemen even on guard/defensive mode would probably argue that point), aggressively engage the enemy and for the most part the enemy kill themselves attacking the pikes. The Pike formations in Guard Mode will move toward the enemy, stop once the enemy is engaged, will maintain formation, and not follow the enemy.

This is the most defensive formation other than Phalanx Line Attack Defensive in that you can wait till the enemy commits then selectively determine how to respond by choosing which Phalanx unit you want to engage what enemy infantry unit. Wait till the enemy or you are relatively close before selecting and giving individual orders because you want to maintain a fairly cohesive front line. When you are ready you could for example send two Phalanx units to engage one powerful Infantry unit. One could even call it a defensive-offense; if you unit by unit choose the particular enemy unit you want pinned on the front line.

You could start off as a Phalanx Line Attack Defensive and then switch to Phalanx Unit by Unit Defensive as needed and as you engage the enemy and the battleground develops. You could also attack with the intent of being offensive but perhaps more conservatively and with more control by using Phalanx Unit by Unit Defensive initially.

Even though you are sending individual units to attack/guard/defend against individual enemy units to pin them on the line with Phalanx Unit by Unit Defensive one would still have to work to maintain frontline cohesion and work to protect the Phalanx’s flanks and rear. Typically as opposed to aggressive this is an overall more conservative and predictable approach to the enemy and consequently you should have more control. Here one could also easily switch if appropriate on a unit-by-unit basis or all at once, to aggressive if desired.

Phalanx Run Attack
    Invest
    Phalanx Run Attack Invest is charging your Phalanx units with sword into the enemy then having them switch to “f” Phalanx formation. I have had success using this on breaches taking cities. It is also a good opportunity to quickly move from one spot to another to attack the enemy in the flank or rear. If an enemy unit is currently engaged, charge them in their flank and quickly change to Phalanx especially if the enemy unit is near routing or low in number.

Stop Short
    Phalanx Run Attack Stop Short is running a Phalanx unit to attack an enemy unit but stopping short and forming Phalanx formation. This is best when the enemy unit is currently unengaged, full health, and the Phalanx unit is a vanguard unit on the battlefield. In this case it would be best to await the second Phalanx unit, and if possible let it do a Phalanx Run Attack Invest.

Battle Tactics and other Future Questions

Shield and Sword Philosophy
    Is that you allow, work to pinning, keeping the enemy infantry engaged in the frontline, while the enemy exhaust themselves you move your Cavalry to either attack the enemy in the rear if needed to push them to rout and you prepare the Cavalry to attack the enemy when it does decide to flee and routs. The actual killing is the destruction of the enemy as it flees the battlefield. Maintaining the line, cohesion, and protection of flanks is most important job and responsibility of the front line Phalanx units. That’s how I understand the philosophy and if I could I would point to a better description on the Internet. It is my opinion and playing experience with Macedonia that Calvary are the sword and the killers. The Pikemen are ruthless and the enemy exhausts themselves trying to fight them and take casualties and eventually give up, and when enough do, the whole enemy army routs, and then its time to chase them down. Using them in primarily aggressive mode to me creates a situation that goes against the Shield and Sword Philosophy. They are not as mobile as Hastati or other Faction infantry units, and vulnerable when not in Phalanx formation which leads me to believe their best use is a shield.

Phalanx Charge
    Phalanx Units like Macedonia have a relatively high charge value compared to other infantry units which makes you wonder not only how to use it but also what does it mean.
    How to use it? Because they can’t run in Phalanx formation and you need to run to charge. Nobody knows for certain that double r-click in Phalanx formation produces a charge. There is no reason to believe it does that I am aware of. I do not as of now believe double r-clicking does anything. Somehow possibly related to this, they say for example that the defense of a Macedonian Phalanx Pikemen is 13, which one would think has to be in Phalanx formation, so when not in Phalanx formation their defense must be really low. Their sword in this case is only 5, barely enough to match Hastati, however taking all this into consideration one asks can they charge in Phalanx formation? One would think so, far as I know and believe it appears they can only charge when running, when not in Phalanx formation and in essence cant charge in Phalanx formation. Why? That just seems the way it is. I could be wrong.

I have formed the belief that they can only charge when running, when not in Phalanx formation and its purpose is to get invested in the enemy. By invested I mean to crack their line, and then form Phalanx, which creates a situation of having multiple Pikes piercing the enemy formation, rapidly. In essence it works out about the same in result.

Attacking not Attacking
    If the enemy attacks the Phalanx formation they will die. Sometimes it takes time, sometimes, occasionally you might need to highlight a Phalanx unit and r-click on an enemy unit to get it to reposition itself in a more favorable position. In guard/defensive mode the killing will be relatively slow in Vanilla RTW, then the killing might speed up as they enemy becomes shaken and moral is lost. It takes sometimes a second or two for the enemy and Phalanx formation to form up, to engage properly. I have witnessed no issue with this. Sometimes you will look at the frontline and see 1-2 dead enemy infantry, then quickly a third of the enemy unit is gone, then they rout, etc. It depends on your formation frontage, number of men in front of Phalanx and who you are attacking, their defense rating. I typically have had 10 wide by 6 deep with Phalanx Pikemen, but it really depends on the infantry front line. I want to if I can be a little wider than their front line.

20 wide 3 deep
    Is there not reason to believe that since only the first 2-3 are engaged in fighting, that it might be appropriate to go 20 wide? Especially when attacking, perhaps? Or other situations.

Double r-click
    I haven't noticed any real difference between single clicking and double clicking enemy units with Phalanx units. Double click is just run for all I know. Phalanx units can only charge in non-Phalanx formation far as I know.

Phalanx shuffle
    Phalanx shuffle is probably most pronounced when a lone Phalanx unit attacks another lone Phalanx unit, such as when you have Phalanx mercenary auxiliary engagements. However when you have an army of Phalanx units the shuffle tends to not be noticeable for the numbers of the units restrict their movement from left to right. Also 12+ Phalanx units do not shuffle to the right during a major battle, especially if they are on “guard mode”, however if they are on “aggressive mode” they will chase/engage/shuffle with the enemy. This last mode the aggressive mode could wreak havoc with your front line and in some cases is worse than a shuffle for they can end up facing the opposite way of the enemy.

Phalanx Formations
    Keys () These keys can be used to move a Phalanx formation. You can also right mouse click or right mouse click drag a new formation and direction. It appears it might be quickest to first get out of phalanx formation “f”, wheel around, then switch back “f”.

U shapes
    Thrudvang mentioned U Shapes and I think formation Shapes could be, and probably should be explored some more.

Phalanx Formation, Loose Formation
    Purpose? Uses?

In my last post I said, “Perhaps my Phalanx units would be even more effective with guard mode off. I will have to see.” I have come to the conclusion it depends on what you mean by effective. Is effectiveness holding a cohesive, strong frontline, or is effectiveness, killing many enemies. I think there is a trade off, and the decision depends on your battle tactics and overall strategy and to maximize the two you definitely need to enjoy, possibly be prepared to micromanage your units.

Default spear1

Custom battle. Medium difficulty. Greek hoplites vs. Juliaii Haspati. Grassy flatlands. Human player deploys the Greeks. Large unit size.

1.Left the hoplites on default formation rank and file. Turned on phalanx. Turned off guard mode. Ordered an attack with one click. No other human intervention.

Phalanx won with 44 men remaining out of 81, including recovered wounded.

2. Put the hoplites in a formation only two ranks deep. Everything else the same. (Formation was slightly closer to enemy because it was put into its new formation slightly ahead of the starting position.)

Phalanx won with 71 men remaining, including recovered wounded.

Also of note: Phalanx drift to the right was serious in the default depth and negligible in the shallow depth. In fact, the shallow phalanx drifted to the left for quite a while after running out of Romans to kill on the right.

=========

Same thing only with the Romans having Equites.

1. Regular formation; Roman defeated. 71 hoplites left.

2. Thin formation. Romans defeated. No losses. Not even wounded.

Against the regular formation, the Romans charged, got beat, retreated, circled around a bit and charged again, hitting a corner. They only charged the thin formation once.

Default Re: A thin line of spears

Interesting. Does the thin formation wrap around the enemy lines?

This is quite interesting indeed. I think it's pretty obvious that--in terms of realism and historical accuracy--the results should have been just the opposite.

A thin line in front of several 8+ ranked lines works wonders against cavalry and sometimes even chariots. The first row screens the formation, distrupting the cavalry, while the heavy formation behind don't have the charge bonus to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziu
    Interesting. Does the thin formation wrap around the enemy lines?
    No. I tried switching off phalanx in the middle of one battle so it would, and the result was disaster.

Experience with lousy, non-phalanx spears (Eastern Infantry) does result in lapping around.

Quote Originally Posted by Orvis Tertia
    This is quite interesting indeed. I think it's pretty obvious that--in terms of realism and historical accuracy--the results should have been just the opposite.
    I couldn't agree more. However, I repeated this little stunt four more times with the hastati tonight. The smallest number of phalanx survivors after five tries was 58 men. The largest was 78.

In order, the number of phalanx survivors were: 71, 58, 71(again), 66 and 78. This includes the healed wounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Qua Non
    A thin line in front of several 8+ ranked lines works wonders against cavalry and sometimes even chariots. The first row screens the formation, distrupting the cavalry, while the heavy formation behind don't have the charge bonus to worry about.
    What about a thin line backed by another thin line?

CA nerfed the formation depth effects in RTW, either that or they omitted them altogether. Missile units are another example of the problem (as your horse archer tests have shown, as well as my own tests of jav, slingers, and archers.)

I've been deploying my phalangites 4 deep because I quickly learned that deep phalanx formations were not of any use and were instead a liability.

There is one other aspect that is harder to judge: multiple units. I suspect that two multi-rank lines side by side will perform better than two thin lines one behind the other when facing two or more attackers. I suspect the thin line will suffer casualties quickly allowing the two to be defeated in detail. However, the two might behave differently if they "stack." Hmm, I'll have to try this.

I really hope the major problems can be fixed when the patch(es) arrive(s). Right now the fighting side of the engine pales in comparison to MTW.

In default formation the hastati wraps around both left and right flank of the phalanx and maybe this is why there are more losses.
    In a two rank deep formation the hastati have no chanche to make it to the flanks of the phalanx, they just get impaled by spears and cant even get close enough to make any casualties on the phalanx.
    En nom Dieu!

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

More interested in finding why its happening (although I had a few good ideas) then actually see it happen I decided to try it out.

Using pricepes rather then hastati vs normal hoplites, with the default 5 ranks, its pretty easy to spot the main problem, the pricepes work arround the hoplites, so whilst from the front, they get slaughted, the real fun in on the sides, and ultimately thats where the losses come from.
    http://www.users.on.net/~roehr/flanked.jpg

But apart from that, it seems as if most of the time, the 2nd and 3rd rows never get to fight with their spears! http://www.users.on.net/~roehr/rows.jpg. The circles show that the red and blue (3rd and 2nd) rows all pretty much line up, whilst the green (1st) row are doing tho fighting, so while we do have the potential of more then one spear attacking a target at the same time, the target doesnt seem to get close enough for the other rows to be in range. Thus the 'new' rank bonus is negated by tubby romans unable to pass between the first row of spears!

Of course, this same problem happens with the thin ranks. What really gives thin ranks more power is the fact that the AI isnt smart enough to attack the flank. http://www.users.on.net/~roehr/thinrow.JPG, so they end up trying to push though the ranks of spears infront of them, a virtual date with Death.
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    CA nerfed the formation depth effects in RTW, either that or they omitted them altogether.
    Agreed --Which pretty much voids years of hard-won experience on how to fight with spears in the Total War series.

Missile units are another example of the problem (as your horse archer tests have shown, as well as my own tests of jav, slingers, and archers.)
    Small correction here. You're giving me credit for tests by Frogbeastegg and Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe. I just applied their findings, as did other players.

I'm interested in the results of any "stacking," as you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne d'arc
    In default formation the hastati wraps around both left and right flank of the phalanx and maybe this is why there are more losses.
    In a two rank deep formation the hastati have no chance to make it to the flanks of the phalanx, they just get impaled by spears and cant even get close enough to make any casualties on the phalanx.
    That's very true, especially in the initial stages. By the time the phalanx drifts in the thin formation and there is some wrapping around the edge, there aren't enough hastati left to make a difference.

The bizzare thing, though, is that the thin line drifts to the left. It keeps doing this. It wasn't a fluke, as I thought.

Much seems to depend on whether the spears hit on-center or off, but that's just how it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Thompson
    What about a thin line backed by another thin line?
    Yes, this also works, but sometimes cavalry can break through two thin lines. No real matter, since most barring cataphracts will be distrupted and cut down. I just like the full phalanx behind the thin line because I find it easier to reform the line as the battle dictates.

I've even been tinkering with stringing a thin line of archers in the open space between the pike points and the first rank of a phalanx, so that they are protected by the pikes, but don't distrupt the formation or cause friendly casualties. It's been mixed results. If the archers survive the initial charge (and don't run at the enemy like idiots), then they can cause significant casualties in the perfect section - the front row of the enemy's melee.

Quote Originally Posted by GodsPetMonkey
    What really gives thin ranks more power is the fact that the AI isnt smart enough to attack the flank ... so they end up trying to push though the ranks of spears infront of them, a virtual date with Death.
    Undeniably so, GPM. I was going to argue that the thin rank also has more spear points in the front rank. Then I realized that doesn't matter -- 1 vs. 1, most of those extra points are wasted. They're poking the air because a phalanx doesn't wrap.

I'm no serious scholar of ancient history, but IIRC the spears in the 2nd and 3rd ranks were slightly longer to give more of a solid mass of points.

Well, I tried to do some tests, but I've modded the unit size of those guys to give a wider frontage (120 men.) So they do too well vs. hastati one-on-one (but with more upkeep etc.) The AI did so many stupid random things with its hastati that I couldn't draw many conclusions...except that the AI is incredibly inept. It was standing there holding it's pila overhand while I was jabbing away for quite awhile. The AI even managed to lose 2 vs. 1...argggggggggghhhhh. (I've been thinking about slightly modding down the offensive stats of the newly enlarged phalangite units--I want them durable, hence the size, but not fast killers.) I went to the larger size after using the German spear warbands...that was a real eye opener as to the effect of unit size on phalanx power in the game.

The 2nd row of spears is fighting. The 3rd very, very rarely has anyone to stab at. In real life deep phalanx units achieved considerable pushing ability from what I have read. They generally were pushing troops back. And the ultra deep formations were there to add a lot of punch. The references and diagrams I'm looking at are indicating a single spear length, but I've seen mention of increasing spear length with rank position elsewhere. So I dunno. Macedonian sarissa were longer at about 19-22 ft ("long_pike") and 5 spear points would be in front of each file. They were two handed weapons held underhand. The greek hoplite spears were shorter (6-10 feet) and it appears they used them overhand/single handed in combat (?) but manouvered with them held at the waist (and charged that way apparently.) That's quite different than how they are shown in the game. Realistically no more than two ranks would be fighting with that style (although the rear ranks would help in shoving and filling any gaps.)

Sidelight:
    Did some archer tests since I was on the "practice field". Again the AI was stupid. When I gave it vanilla roman archers vs. my 120 man greek hops, it marched them up to pila range. So I did a stationary test where they killed 19 (of 121) in phalanx with 10 volleys.

Next I took command of the archers and let them march to me once then marched to them and started firing on subsequent tests. I disabled skirmish mode partway there, since the shorter range on these guys made it tough to get in 10 volleys (should have used 6 or so ) Result: archery is HOSED. Everyone fires whether the archer line is 2 ranks deep, 6 ranks deep, or 16 (yes, 16) ranks deep. The only difference is that with 16 ranks, they don't fire as early because they have to wait for the rear guys to get in range. 2 ranks = 19 kills in 10 volleys (2% per volley) 6 ranks deep = 15 kills in 8 volleys, 16 ranks deep = 19 kills in 7 volleys. Very, very disappointing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast