Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best City in the Game World

Default The Best City in the Game World

Which one do you think is the best city in the world?
    By best I mean, population big, income big, resources, long term potential, production, geography, wonders, essentially those cities we all want to lay our hands on fast.
    Here are some candidates in random order
    1. Rome
    2. Carthage
    3. Athens
    4. Sparta
    5. Alexandria
    6. Jerusalem
    7. Pergamum
    8. Syracuse
    9. Thapsus

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Default Re: The Best City in the Game World

I'm partial to Carthage, probzbly because I played Scipii on my first campaign.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

also, if you can, give reasons why you think it's the best

sparta is one of the best cities, i always make a go for it unless i'm playing a faction like iberia or numidia. it's the gateway to corinth and the rest of greece, strategically it's a naval checkpoint so it can block the majority of traffic going and coming from the med. money.

3 good reasons why it is the best.

Scourge of God Member Count Belisarius's Avatar

I like Antioch, along with the other Levantine cities (though Jerusalem is hard to control). Antioch is not that lucrative early on in the game, but by the time the Seleucid war machine gets clicking mid-late game (having punched out Egypt, Parthia, Armenia, and Pontus), they becomes enormous cash cows.
    Just call me sui generis, and leave it at that.
    - Huey P. Long

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Sparta. Because like the guy above said, it's a naval checkpoint and the gateway to the rest of greece. And the rest of greece is a goldmine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Capture Rome early enough, and you have the ability to produce units you will have no chance of seeing for a long time otherwise. That's why I like Rome, it's already built up. I play mostly as Germania, and when I capture Rome, I'm able to churn out Chosen Archers on the spot.

I like Sidon, but Alexandria is my favourite out of that list.

my favourite is carthage it grows quick its amazing better than rome but sparta is pretty good
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

both are good cities, i prefer Carthage out of Carthage and Sparta

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Personal reasons makes me prefers Antioch...

But Carthage is the best. The massive possibility of growth, wealth, and power. Besides, I heard rumors of some mods trying to depict Carthage's legendary two-docks port (very clever even by Punic standards ) by creating a super port (or tone down the other ones) for special cities like Carthage. Not sure, though.

Though Antioch/Seleucia (port of Antioch) was, in a sense, the older Constantinople as the trade routes from the east often enter the Mediterranean from there.

Patavium, Maybe its just the fact that I play Barbarians/Romans a lot, but Patavium is a GREAT troop producing city, not the cash maker, but it techs up faster than all cities on Italy.

This may sound strange but I prefer Crete, it gives great income, whats more it has great mercenaries and a watch tower on its eastern most elevation gives a great view of the Aegean for monitoring enemy action ,it is also a great waystation if you're running the gauntlet of enemy ships.

The island does need some hefty improvements and possibly some forced peasant migration to reach city limit requirements for upgrades but I still like it a lot, it is also an excellent island to defend and I always have fun doing so.

Plus none of the other factions ever seem to grab it, except maybe the Brutii from mid to late game.

Perhaps though its more a 'favourite' than a 'best' city but it certainly has its good points.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I would have to say Sparta. I prefer Sparta because it is a great naval checkpoint, great for building troops, gateway to Greece and close to Italia so I can take down Rome, I am biased towards Sparta due to their military tradition and finally great baby killing jokes. I am not sick, I swear...
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Carthage beats Sparta in both ways! Mwahaha!

-Site: They're at the heart of the Mediterranean. In game terms, possibilitie of expansion are everywhere.

-Cult: Sparta? Ah, little. Remember the cult of Baal?

I feel sick...

Just another genius Member aw89's Avatar

Antioch! One hint;
    First shalt thou take out
    the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.
    Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the
    counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either
    count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is
    right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be
    reached, then lobbest thou thy **** **** ******* ** ******* towards
    thou foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Quote Originally Posted by Es Arkajae
    This may sound strange but I prefer Crete...
    Crete is a great piece of land to own, strategically placed and a potentially huge trading port. Also, the actual ground favors defenders in a big way. I always grab Crete early in the game, but I have to say my favorite city is Rhodes. It basically has all the virtues and vices of Crete, but it's an oustanding port from which a good-sized fleet can easily dominate the eastern Mediterranean.
    Ah...morality. The last bastion of a coward.

Jerusalem. Because if you own Judea as Romans, then you get to reenact the crucifixion thereby setting the stage for the next 2000+ years of history.

Eh, actually the game ends before the crucifixion takes place, so I guess it would be Rhodes then.
    Last edited by TF923; 03-31-2005 at 16:29.

Just another genius Member aw89's Avatar

You could jest keep it 'til year 0, then let it rebel and slaughter the city, rinse and repeat until the population is 400.

I would say Sparta. It has a great location in the middle of the map, great troop productions, great income, and great naval dock place. And as Uesugi Kenshin said its a gateway to Greece and close to Italy so you can take down Rome
    Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

I vote Carthage.
    But basically it doesn't seem to make much difference really most of the time.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

This may sound strange but I prefer Crete...
    It's not strange at all man! You make it seem like it's weird to like that little island. It's a cool island!! As well as being a great trading port (all of my trade routes pass through it) it's also a great base for controlling the eastern mediterannean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Rhodes

It's very wealthy, it's got the BEST WONDER IMO! a great infrastructure.

Rhodes is nice, and a really cool wonder - (40% increase on naval trade?) ! What does the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus do? Sorry, but I don't remember..

I think Memphis and the pyramids is a nice province to own, especially since you are close to Alexandria, so you can take thast too, if you don't already own it.

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

I love cash so it has to be Athens richest city in the game when you get the naval trade going.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    Rhodes is nice, and a really cool wonder - (40% increase on naval trade?) ! What does the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus do? Sorry, but I don't remember..
    I believe it decreases the building times for structures taking 5 turns or more.
    Ah...morality. The last bastion of a coward.

oh thats why my epic stone walls only take 5 turns now?

I love cash so it has to be Athens richest city in the game when you get the naval trade going.
    I don't own Athens and yet I have a huge and prosperous economy of a 2,200,000 denarii treasury and I make 50,000 denarii per turn... Rhodes is a centre of my naval trade but there is a lot of trade between Antioch, Tarsus, Jerusalem, Sidon and Salamis as well. When you own all of those, you'll get some decent naval trade.

Flying Dutchman Member Ellesthyan's Avatar

honnourable notice for Crete, I go for Pergamum, one of the better trading cities.
    A.E.I.O.U.

Austria Est Imperare Orbi Universo
    Austria is destined to rule the world.

(Or, as the Prussians interpretated it:
    Austria Erit In Orbe Ultima
    Austria will one day be lowest in the world.)

Österreich über alles!

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I am not sure but Carthage does not have good farming does it? That would be a major advantage when blockaded and for population.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

The Temple of Zeus, for me, is the best wonder in the game. The loyalty bonus to ALL your settlements is VERY nice, especially when you go out on a blitzkrieg campaign and only stop occasionally to train a peasant unit or two. It helps offset the penalty for squalor and distance from your capital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast