Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Best City in the Game World

Default Re: The Best City in the Game World

I'll second Perganum, my capital. Can't say much for money, since am pathetic at that (12k gold a turn, and usually only 1000 dinari at any given point) but the city is great. My best troopes come from there and Corinth, which get an honourable mention.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

I'm with Basileus: Athens for this puppy. It is the richest province I have raking in 12+ K denari net per turn on VH (with 50 provinces). It is also central to other rich provinces.

rhodes

Athens. Who doesn't like athenians + huge trade and already has stone walls. Too lazy to build them on any other settlement.

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Domus Dulcis Domus, of course.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

From the list there are only three cities that consistently pay to own; Athens, Sparta, & Jerusalem. In my opinion any city that pays its way is a good one. The one that pays best is the best.

Strategically Athens & Sparta are roughly equal. Athens is the better of the two because of a faster growth rate. Having a city that looses 5000 plus denari each turn is a serious burden which must be overcome by some means. The units it could possibly produce are of little value if you must spend several turns getting them to where they will be of use…just one more expense! Large money loosing cities also require large expensive garrisons to keep them loyal & safe from attack. I have found it better to exterminate the populations in most of these cities & make them money earners for a few turns even if it means they don’t reach huge city status for a very long time. In fact I have allowed them to rebel just so I can sack them again to get back into the black in many campaigns. Beyond that point the ability to build good units is important but any army with the units on hand can win battles if handled well…. The only campaign I have abandoned was with Armenia because I could not afford to build units & each turn I defeated a major invasion only to have to rebuild what I could & do it again the next turn. I knew that eventually I would lack the troops to defeat them & loose the only city that gave me any money at all.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I would problebly say Sparta to... though my best city is Athens, but well i control all regions in that area so my naval trade rocks!
    But i guess Sparta is a good point to start a naval counquest from, and well, a good port to have since it is so central on the campain map.

P.S god damn i hope we will be getting an expansion to RTWT soon!

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Athens, perfectly situated in the map, right in the center , in every game i've played I've set it my capital ( well not as Parthia though ) and it always makes money, and very much, if you upgrade all the economic structures.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I hate Athenians, they tried to hold back the Spartans and have taken all the credit for inventing the Republic. They were also pansies when compared to Spartans in battle and people talk of Athens as the cradle of democracy when Athenians looked upon Sparta as the ideal society. They were just too weak willed to follow and live simple lives.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Personally my favourite is Carthage,
    Being the cornucopia of market economics it is. Add to that the spectacular population growth that rivals even the current growth of Saudi's population.
    I addition you are surrounded by so many opportunities and have so many lucrative points of expansion (such as the the Sahara).
    But we cannot forget that in addition to being a center of expansion, Carthage can also make you a target for everyone from the Romans to the Greeks to the Egyptian Horde.
    Truly the City offers free-market paradise mixed in with turbulent population increase and a pitfall of foreign policy dangers. I vote Carthage.
    "And when your return to your homes, tell your people that you left your general fighting in Boetia" Cornelius Sulla to a wavering line.

"It is easy to dismiss war as a simple bloody affair, nevertheless, none can deny that the greatest genious that man has possesed has always been in the pursuit of the simple, bloody affair", Klausewitz

Who can deny beautiful Corinth? Usually has a good temple to Nike to boot. Too bad the wonders dont last (or do they, in the patch?).

Carthage always gets a population problem, Rome is only useful near the end, both of these have enough fans already

in montem soli non loquitur

(\_/) (>.<) That's what happens with bunnies
    (x.X)(_)(_) who want to achieve world domination!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

Carthage (for uber population and good location) and Athens (for mega money).
    Rome is nice, but you cant get to it without fighting like 10 units of gold xp pretorians (at least in RTR), so that makes it less appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    Athens, perfectly situated in the map, right in the center , in every game i've played I've set it my capital ( well not as Parthia though ) and it always makes money, and very much, if you upgrade all the economic structures.
    It's not really dead centre of the map, Campus Iazyges is.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    It's not really dead centre of the map, Campus Iazyges is.
    Actually, the weighted-center of the map is Salona.

How is distance to capital worked out? Is it number of provinces? or Distance?

Check your map, I'm sure Campus Iazyges is central!

Distance is just straight-line distance. The closest city to geographic center of the map may be Campus Iazyges, but there are far more cities south of that, which is probably what shifts the population/political center of the map southward to Salona.

In fact, if actual population were taken into account it would probably move the capital down even more to Apollonia, but the city calculator treats all cities as equal, so that's why it's Salona.

Quote Originally Posted by TF923
    Distance is just straight-line distance. The closest city to geographic center of the map may be Campus Iazyges, but there are far more cities south of that, which is probably what shifts the population/political center of the map southward to Salona.

In fact, if actual population were taken into account it would probably move the capital down even more to Apollonia, but the city calculator treats all cities as equal, so that's why it's Salona.
    I don't understand what you mean?

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    I don't understand what you mean?
    There are more cities in the South-er part of the map than the North. So, having the capital at a geographic center is less beneficial than a combination of geographic and settlements center. Thus, Salona is actually more "central" concerning the weight of the settlements if you happen to rule the whole world.

Anyway, for me, Athens, Carthage, Rome, Antioch, and Alexandria are actually the only few cities that deserve recognition as suitable Imperial Centers for the game...

Suitable Royal (2nd class powers ) Centers that I count for are: Sparta, Memphis, Seleucia, Thessalonica (personally I prefer Pella and Demetrias, but they only exists in the mods, Demetrias isn't even in RTR), Pergamum, Syracuse, and Carthago Nova.

Rich and useful cities for me include Kydonia, Rhodes, Tarentum, Patavium, Byzantium, Massilia, and Sidon (Tyre, preferably, unfortunately it isn't in Vanilla).

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

The dead center of the map is slightly east of Salona. Draw two straight lines on the map, one extending from the NW corner to the SE corner, and one from the NE corner to the SW corner.

But pretty much, Salona is the center of the game world.

I looked at my map again this morning and I don't have a clue how I got Campus Iazyges. I might of been thinking centre of Europe (not inc. Asia Minor and Africa). Yep, I stand corrected Salona is the centre of the map.

The dead center of the map is slightly east of Salona. Draw two straight lines on the map, one extending from the NW corner to the SE corner, and one from the NE corner to the SW corner.
    You could just estimate instead of defacing your map. I use my map a lot so I like to see where all the cities are (I play with fow).

Campus Iazyges is dead on my "imaginary" vertical line. That might be where I got it from. Who knows the wonders of the human mind?

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myz
    Which one do you think is the best city in the world?
    By best I mean, population big, income big, resources, long term potential, production, geography, wonders, essentially those cities we all want to lay our hands on fast.
    Here are some candidates in random order
    1. Rome
    2. Carthage
    3. Athens
    4. Sparta
    5. Alexandria
    6. Jerusalem
    7. Pergamum
    8. Syracuse
    9. Thapsus
    If you play a non-roman faction starting near Rome: Rome. Plenty of cash and many useful buildings. If you start near Greece: Corinth. The +4 loyalty bonus rocks. If you start near Carthage: Carthage - good buildings and sweet income. If near Egypt: Memphis. Good income and buildings, as well as the pyramids so useful when conquering the rest of Egypt. Antioch is also nice if you're coming into that area from the north. A great choke point to hold with ability to retrain your army/armies after tough battles.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Brysk
    Patavium, Maybe its just the fact that I play Barbarians/Romans a lot, but Patavium is a GREAT troop producing city, not the cash maker, but it techs up faster than all cities on Italy.
    I also like Patavium a lot. Many legendary battles in my campaigns have taken place there. I'm particularly fond of when one of my untrained Dacian generals brought an already weakened army to take Patavium while another army invaded southern Italy. A series of 5-6 battles against full Julii armies with very good troops as well as 2 assaults on the city wasn't enough to destroy the army. In the end, I had almost 80 percent left of the army and my general had recieved something like 7 stars... Good times.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

my favourite city just for its ideal loction is either crete or rodes. These citys i have found usefull in many a campign to fall back on. Also crete can generate a suprisingly large income once you have got its trading and ports up to a resonible lvl. But crete seems to slum back down if you go to war with egypt.............

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by Somebody Else
    Domus Dulcis Domus, of course.
    How about Themiskyra?
    Under construction...

I like Halicarnassus, it has great starting pop. With the best Wonder in the game. Reduced bulding time is a huge deal to have fun from the game.
    Athens is also my favourite.

Carthage somehow annoys me, you must massacre everyone to keep order first you conquered it, then build again to have a huge city.

And Sychtia is very nice city, very well populated with its barbarian neighbours. I agree with Patavium too.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Best city is a rather relative term....

If you are the Greek Cities, then Sparta is your choice...one of two cities where you can produce Spartans. If you are the Ptolemaic's, then Alexandria is your choice...hefty population bonus, extra fleet movement, and excellent port. Any Roman faction will prefer Rome for all the reasons stated. Parthia will like Susa because it's the first province where you be able to train elephants. The Seleucids might prefer Seleucia because its farming bonus helps get those slow-growing desert cities to 24k. But....

....my favorites are: Athens-one of the top money producing cities on the map...centrally located in the mid-Mediterranean with excellent trade nodes; Rome and Carthage for the same reasons in the Western Med; Alexandria in the Eastern Med.

Least favorite cities are: Tarsus, Jerusalem, and Patavium because of their built-in 35% unrest. They can be controlled with ZPG, but it's still difficult.

The top two wonders have to be the Colossus for its 40% trade bonus, and the Temple of Zeus for the +4 to population loyalty.
    High Plains Drifter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12