Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1522

Thread: Pics & History of your Empire

Member Member Knight of the Rose's Avatar

Default Re: Pics & History of your Empire

Well done Drone, that is one heck of a kill ratio. But that is it also a very nice army composition. Quite close to perfect I would add.

Two questions: Is this your favorite army & What is your general unit? All other units seem to be vanilla, but I can't recognize that one.

/KotR

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of the Rose View Post
    Well done Drone, that is one heck of a kill ratio. But that is it also a very nice army composition. Quite close to perfect I would add.

Two questions: Is this your favorite army & What is your general unit? All other units seem to be vanilla, but I can't recognize that one.

/KotR
    If I remember correctly, the Pope brought 2 RK units, 2 CS units, 1 UM unit, tons of arbalesters and handgunners, and scattered trash. Perfect for a delayed rush, especially since I was on defense (siege relief by the Papacy). I backed up against a couple of small stands of trees, unleashed arbalest bolts and arrows (sole archer unit has withdrawn at this point due to lack of arrows) on the knights and sergeants, then sent the cav around to pincer the missile troops and start the rout. My foot infantry did pretty much nothing aside from moral support.

The general's unit is Swiss Armoured Pikemen, he's a royal uncle . 6 stars vs the Pope's 2. This combo worked pretty well, I would have preferred another archer unit, and maybe replace one of the standard halberdiers with CMAA for mobility purposes. The Mounted Sergeants need to go, but the lack of money and time means I'm stuck with them. I only have 2 provinces that can build Chivalric Knights, and maybe one another that can build Feudals. All three were captured built up, no way I can afford that expense. The Swiss can't recruit Royal Knight units, so it's been Mounted Sergeants doing to cavalry duty for the most part.

I'll post more screenies on this campaign, along with some tips on how NOT to play the Swiss. I made a couple of poor strategic choices early on and essentially became a gimped version of the HRE.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Hey guys I can't believe this thread is still alive yay i love to see all the great empires in this thread.

Cheers!

"I once fought two days with an arrow through my testicle."

-Sir Godwin

Bow Before Our Neutrality!
    (AKA: a "vanilla" Late Swiss campaign gone awry)

Starting out, the Swiss are penned in by the HRE in Tyrolia and Swabia, and the French in Burgundy. When I started this campaign I failed to realize the blatantly obvious fact that, while unlikely to be threatened by the lowly Swiss, both the French and Germans will fortify these provinces against each other. ( #1) Coupled with the state of farming (dirt poor) and trade (non-existent) in the cantons, a quick buildup and attack on one of these two giants is necessary before bankruptcy occurs. Fortunately, Switzerland comes pre-built with a County Militia, so Halberdiers and Pikemen (both vanilla and the Swiss variety) are already available. The first course of action then was to order up some Swiss Halberdiers and break ground on a Bowyer for missile support.

Miss Switzerland 1321 was asked to tour Europe and attempt to beguile either the French or Germans into an alliance or marriage, but her yodeling, while earning bonus points with the judges in the talent competition at home, failed to impress abroad. After being rebuffed by the French, she was denied access several times to the German courts, and eventually came home in a huff.
    (editors note: If you are going to mod your game to play the Swiss, change the unit_prod file to allow the Swiss to "build" Princesses, otherwise you will only get the one from the start. ( #2)).

With the Treasury dropping and the military growing (albeit slowly), it was time to launch the attack, but against who? The French were looking strong in Burgundy, and the HRE always has issues with maintaining it's borders, so the choice was easy. The insult to our beauty queen must be avenged! So the troops are sent to Swabia, lead by the lone heir.

A short campaign ensued, with the Swiss units showing their class over the usual rabble fielded by the HRE. The attacks were either withdrawals or battlefield routs. The real action was in the defence of the counterattacks and siege relief actions by the HRE. Hordes of Germans against small units of brave Swiss troops (conveniently situated on hills and in trees). The crowning achievement was taking Bavaria intact, and without a fight!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Soon, all the southern lands of the HRE fell to the Confederation. Along with these victories came the growing realization that a huge mistake had been made. I could no longer rely on prisoner ransoms from the Germans (meager as they were with no cavalry to speak of). My borders were exposed, and my base economy was a joke. Suddenly, I was the HRE. ( #3) Should have attacked the French, like I always do. In Late, time is a factor, especially for smaller factions. The next couple of decades, and a chance at 60% victory, were looking bleak.

While struggling with finances, a path to the sea was finally reached by taking Friesland. The Italians were also kind enough to get themselves excommunicated, and a few raids for prisoners were made into Milan. (Mounted Sergeants, recruited from the renowned horsemanship schools in Franconia, begin to pay off. ) Two normally unrelated circumstances, except for the proliferation of the Italian Navy. A couple of years after the Milan raids, the Italian King himself lands on the newly acquired Frisian shores, and is promptly captured by the Swiss garrison. There is much rejoicing by the bankers in Zurich, and the ~11K florins are quickly spent upgrading provinces and recruiting new units. The Papacy takes Milan a few years later, "peace" through no contact is declared with the Italians, and the last German resistance in Brandenburg is eliminated. All quiet in Central Europe.

With time ticking down, I needed a new target. The Hungarians had taken down the Poles, were sparring with the Russians, and most importantly were excommunicated, so they were next to feel the wrath. This plan quickly devolved as the Pope patched things up with the Huns, and issued a warning to the larger Swiss Empire. At this point in the game, excommunication was a forgone conclusion anyway, so the warning was ignored. This proved to be a good thing. A war between the English and French allowed me to break off relations with the French, and no further repercussions were forthcoming when the Spanish tried to send a crusade through Tyrolia. Let the two front war begin! The bulk of the French kingdom was absorbed, and the Hungarians eventually eliminated (not an easy thing to do with no real cavalry). After a second Spanish crusade was crushed on it's way through Swiss lands, the Pope had had enough, and invaded Tyrolia. After repulsing this, Swiss troops were sent into Venice to show his Holiness the error of his ways (see previous post).

At this point, it's a race against time. The plan is to shunt the Papacy into a useless province, and attack the Russians in the east to shrink border exposure and gain more provinces. The English are struggling, but we are allies and it might be better to leave them and concentrate on the Iberian penisula. Going into the desert is a non-starter, completely inappropriate army composition at the moment and there is no time to improve on that. I think I have the time for all this, but I will need large followup forces of spearmen and catapults to handle the sieges the front line troops will leave behind. It will be close.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Whew! That's a real whirlwind of a campaign you've got going, my friend. It's a little strange to see the Swiss (of all people) essentially blitzgrieging the map, but there's no denying it's your only real option if you're to get the 60% victory. Good luck!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

At this point, it's a full blitz in all directions if I want the 60%. I lost 10-15 years of progress due to the "banking crisis", if I had attacked the French from the start I would have had richer lands, sea trade, and better borders. Provincial improvements will be at a minimum, it's all about the military now.

It's been really interesting playing without agents. Aside from the starting Princess, the only agent I have recruited was a Cardinal from the Cathedral captured in Bavaria. I've lost a few generals to Assassins and Inquisitors, but it's been manageable. Zeal on most core provinces have been down to 0%. I could use some Spies to improve the province happiness, but I just don't have the time and money to build the Brothels.

The AI played into my hands several times early on. With no real missile troops or cavalry, it would be very difficult to beat a large force on the attack. But for some reason the big battles have been on the defense (including the battle where the French King was the meat in a pikemen sandwich, served on a bridge ). Maybe it's a minor faction thing, or the army strength ratings are off for my units and the AI thinks it has the upper hand. The Good Defender virtue line has gotten some action.

hhh
    Last edited by rabcarl; 05-30-2009 at 21:53.

Good luck with your Empire, Drone! I, too love a good bridge slaughter hehe Yes, the disadvantages of agents can be very interesting, as I learned in my previous Campaigns.

-Sir Godwin

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    At this point, it's a full blitz in all directions if I want the 60%. I lost 10-15 years of progress due to the "banking crisis", if I had attacked the French from the start I would have had richer lands, sea trade, and better borders. Provincial improvements will be at a minimum, it's all about the military now.

It's been really interesting playing without agents. Aside from the starting Princess, the only agent I have recruited was a Cardinal from the Cathedral captured in Bavaria. I've lost a few generals to Assassins and Inquisitors, but it's been manageable. Zeal on most core provinces have been down to 0%. I could use some Spies to improve the province happiness, but I just don't have the time and money to build the Brothels.

The AI played into my hands several times early on. With no real missile troops or cavalry, it would be very difficult to beat a large force on the attack. But for some reason the big battles have been on the defense (including the battle where the French King was the meat in a pikemen sandwich, served on a bridge ). Maybe it's a minor faction thing, or the army strength ratings are off for my units and the AI thinks it has the upper hand. The Good Defender virtue line has gotten some action.
    The Swiss have it tough but you really have begun a great campaign here! Good job.

EDIT: Sorry for my earlier post it was an accident, delete it if you wish!
    Last edited by rabcarl; 05-30-2009 at 21:54.

I began a Vanilla Aragonese campaign a few days back, and I've really enjoyed them. They are nearly identical to the Spanish troop and building wise, but present a much tougher challange.

First, I bribed the Navarre rebels, then the Valencia rebels: who's general was a 6 star commander. I built up some jinetes, men-at-arms and some feudal sergeants. I quickly took Cordoba and Granada, then bribed the Portugese rebels. The Almohads had some fairly large armies down in Tunsia and Morocco, and the Spanish appeared as if they were on the border of whether to attack me or not. A few years passed, and what do you know: both attack at the same year, and are allied. I quickly proposed a ceasefire to the Almohads and luckily only lost Cordoba. Then I picked off a few Spanish generals with some assassins I had trained earlier. With their morale down, I launched my armies and wiped them out before the Pope had enough time to excommunicate me.

I moved onto the rest of the Almohad land. Since a lot of their lands had gold, I soon began reeling in the florins. The Egyptians presented a problem, as they had taken over a few Almohad provinces, Cyrencia and the one to the west of it. They had large armies fit for fighting in the desert, so I just allied with them and built up a large trading empire. Once the florins were overflowing my treasury, I declared war on both the Turks and Egyptians and wiped them out. I left the Byzantines with 2 small islands, after I completely forgot about reamgerging, and the Almohads tore through my South african provinces. After I took care of them, another problem was present, the Golden Horde. And, after I expanded my trading empire, I realized that the French, yes the French, had taken over England and Germany, and was pressing on east of Poland. Since me and the French controlled about half the map each, I allied with them so I could continue the florin income. When the horde came, I was ready. I quickly took over the provinces they had invaded. The Hungarians, who had recently grown a pest to the French, lost their king due to illness with no heirs present. I took advantage of a few provinces left behind. And, just to my luck, the Germans reappeared. Half the French empire collapsed because of this reappearance.

Phew, I know it will be hard to read all of this, but it truly is a good story. I leave my empire with a few Golden Horde provinces left and some Russian ones to, the Italians without any florins I assume, about 4-5 full armies and only 3 small provinces to support them. Western Europe is soon about to fall into my hands, as both the Germans and French will both be weak, and I can invade from all sides of Europe.

I will keep you updated soon!

-Sir Godwin

I almost forgot my Pic!

-Sir Godwin

That's pretty impressive, nzd07. While not quite as tough as the Polish or HRE, I still find Aragon to be one of the more challenging factions in MTW, so I commend you on your progress thus far.

Member Member Knight of the Rose's Avatar

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about playing the Swiss Drone, and well played I might add. Forcing the AI to attack you plays a lot of cards in your hand.

And what a campaign for the Aragonese nzd07, in wintertime some of your jinites must be wondering what they are doing in cold mother Russia, when there's sangria and sunshine in Spain!

/KotR

[IMG][/IMG]

English. Medium.

I just got gunpowder units and am deciding on if I should use them because I use longbowman and Pavise arbalesters.

hey guys, sorry for bothering you but i just have one question concerning assassins and other agents
    what is the highest rank they can have? it sounds stupid but what can you expect from a noob :(

Hello esbono and welcome to the .org, enjoy your stay.

There are no stupid questions neither you should feel bad for being new to the game; we all were at one point.

Agents in STW gained honor in rising increments, for example valor1 (or honor as it was called in STW) would be reached say with 1kill, valor2 with 2 kills, valor3 with 4 kills etc. This meant that passed some point it was really hard to valor up your agents as too many succesful missions were required.

I have reasons to believe that exactly the same happens in MTW and that there is no "cap" (limit) theoretically as to what valor can be achieved - however there is certainly one practically. Personally i dont remember seeing agents above valor 6 (or 7?).

This guide might also be helpful:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=54932
    Last edited by gollum; 10-11-2009 at 21:42.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

Hi jedi121212

In response to your query about the use of gunpowder units, my answer would be "Yes, but sparingly."

They add to the feel and atmosphere, and can inflict some damage at closer ranges, but you will achieve far more enemy casualties with longbows and arbs.

By the way, welcome to the Main Hall!

....and welcome also to esbono.

Gollum is quite correct, there is no such thing as a stupid question here in the Main Hall, and plenty of experienced campaigners are only too ready to offer assistance, so ask away!

Thanks. I This is my first campaign. I have played both RTW and M2TW and i wanted to play STW and MTW. I have the Eras pack which is awesome. I really Like all the Total wars except ETW I have not played that one My computer could not play it. my computer could barely play M2TW.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi121212 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

English. Medium.

I just got gunpowder units and am deciding on if I should use them because I use longbowman and Pavise arbalesters.
    Personally, the only gunpowder units I generally employ is artillery for castle assaults. Otherwise, I usually don't bother. (It should be noted, however, that I'm a fairly vocal anti-gunpowder enthusiast, so obviously I'm a bit biased. )

Quote Originally Posted by esbono View Post
    hey guys, sorry for bothering you but i just have one question concerning assassins and other agents
    what is the highest rank they can have? it sounds stupid but what can you expect from a noob :(
    Welcome to the Org, esbono!

Theoretically, I believe assassins (and agents in general) can have a max of 9 stars. However, I -- like gollum -- have rarely (if ever) seen them with more than 7 stars. Certain "hero" agents like Thomas Beckett and Guy of Gisbourne might have more, but I couldn't personally say whether they do or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bamff View Post
    ....and welcome also to esbono.

Gollum is quite correct, there is no such thing as a stupid question here in the Main Hall, and plenty of experienced campaigners are only too ready to offer assistance, so ask away!
    Indeed. No need to be shy about asking questions, esbono. I think you'll find we'll be more than happy to help.

Also: Good to see you back here bamff! It's been too long.
    Last edited by Martok; 10-12-2009 at 07:18.

Handgunners are essentially armored swordsmen with a missile weapon- their range and accuracy are very low, so the best you can do with them is fire one shot before charging (alt+attack to activate melee weapon for missiles). Mameluk handgunners are useless altogether - just avoid them.

Arquebusiers are far better - they can be used behind your arbalesters/crossbows and their volleys can be timed (together with those of arbalesters/crossbows) to ensure good accuracy and so maximum casualties (toggle fire at will off and then let enemy approach and when they are in the range of your choice toggle fire at will on). In this way your volleys can really have some extra punch that will rout high morale units like knights, elite guards etc on the spot, because bullets cause additional morale penalties on top of the normal ones a unit being fired at gets.

Typically, crossbows/arbalesters/aquebusiers are put by most players in hold formation/hold position. This enhances their defence, and makes them keep firing even when they are partially engaged in melee (which is what you want them to be doing). Handgunners should be put in engage at will - and after quickly firing a shot (all you need to kill is 1 man to inflict morale penalties) charge them in melee.

Btw dont listen to frogbeastegg's advice regarding arquebusiers in her guide. She suggests to move them behind an engaged enemy unit to fire in their backs, but this, while optimal is highly unpractical; there are very few occasions in MTW battles that you will have the luxury for such tactics. Arqs are a volley supporting unit - just learn how to make your static missiles (crossbows/arbs/arqs) line in 3 rank deep lines (3 ranks is especially important for guns as it makes them use revolving ranks that significantly reduce the reloading times) and deliver deadly volleys at the range of your choosing while you have melee troops behind them to ward off any troublesome cavalry approaching from the flanks (or front). Using such tactics, arqs are priceless, not for the kills but for the morale penalty.

Bows can be left in a third rank to fill in the reload times of the arbs/crossbows/guns as they fire far quicker (4s=reload time iirc) and can fire above the heads of their comrades (arc).

This is actually how historically medieval missile formations fought.

I'd say 3 units of arbs, 2 units of arqs and 2/3 units of bows per stack are a good deal (alternatively 4 units of arbs, 1 unit of arqs and 2/3 units of bows) for stack composition. Remember not to overdo it with missiles otherwise your stacks will be swept by melee heavy enemy armies.

Btw although a cheat, you can have gunpowder units in vanilla from 1204 onwards as mercenaries - this is because the gunpowder units era designation in the UnitProd.txt file is high (in order to be activated by the Gunpowder event that takes place in high), however this unfortunately also means that themercenary versions are available in High. This is ultimately rendered insignificant only because the overpowered arbalesters are given out in high too - which is broadly speaking unhistorical and bad for the gameplay as it renders crossbows (as well as most missile units really) obsolete in high. Arbalesters, like Lancers and other high units are really late units - most probably they are given out for the benefit of the majority of players finish the campaign during high; i guess they didnt wanted people to end the game withouthaving played with most units.
    Last edited by gollum; 10-12-2009 at 11:34.

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

thank you for understanding
    and the topic you linked me to offers all answers! thanx

i only thought i'm a little retro cause i'm playing mtw for the first time now when it's seven years old...

Well i guess you are better than chess players, that play a game a few tens of centuries old

A good game is a good game - no matter how old.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

exactly! :D

Thanks.

you're welcome jedi121212

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Thread Necromancer Member Vantek's Avatar

(XL, English, High, Hard)

England, 1205. The new king has recognised the blessings of prosperity and peace his nation has been given, and taken upon his solemn duty to make his country the holy sanctuary of Christiandom. The principle by which England will stand is simple: she must harm no fellow believer, but she shall show no mercy to an enemy of the faith, responding at nearest possibility to the calls of the church, to eliminate threats to the faith, to enlighten the blind pagans and to punish those wretched who only cast shame on the name of our faith by calling themselves christians.

Clearly possessing a fraction of the omniscience of the God he represents on this Earth, The Pope sends the new King three gifts within the first five years of his rule, and once more within the next three. The Pope also calls for christian nations to unite against Almohad, a group of delirious bandits set on destroying our church, and our King does not hesitate to accept this as his holy mission. Futile though the muslims' attempts may be, their malicious intent must not go unpunished. After dispatching emissaries to form alliances with fellow believers near and afar, cleverly bribing Welsh rebels to save this fine province from destruction, and reinforcing our borders merely to deny temptation to our friends, the King has asked for the construction of a large fleet to carry our armies to North Africa where the muslim vermins build their nest.

As the King commanded, so it was done. Our armies sail to Morocco, only to find the brigand faction already torn, and demolished in a civil war, having lost their prescious grasp of the toes of Europe to the noble Spanish and Portuguese. Thus we meet resistance so weak our men are bored rather than satisfied with their conquest. One by one the provinces fall up to Cyrenaica, catching some unfortunate Ayubbids on the way, and meeting our respected friends and bringers of the faith, the alliance of the Crusader States.

Meanwhile, a crusade towards Cyrenaica launched from Anjou, and sent through the provinces belonging to the French to collect those willing to throw away their tools and grab their weapons to bring faith to dark regions of afar, falls in deep misfortune. Knowing that the land route to their destination lies to the East, the stubborn fanatics now refuse to take even a single step to the West, even though from there ships would take them to their already conquered promised land in a single year. It is further discovered, that the French, though our allies and friends willing to lend us their fleet, nevertheless inexplicably refuse us the use of their port to load our men on our ships. The mission is thus doomed to a tragic desperate march through the whole of Europe, lasting decades after the destination has already long been conquered by those with a more flexile choice of path.

During the conquest of North Africa, new enemies of the faith have appeared: the Germans, and the Sicilians, the latter being as gutless as to attack the Pope himself. The construction of ships has thus been yet intensified, to form a fleet powerful enough to dwarf that of the Sicilians, while Germany has been left to the French and Venetians to deal with.

However, before this goal can be reached, an enemy is spawned much closer: the Spanish have gone blind and decided to point their spears against the Aragonese, instantly recieving a deserved excommunication and the wrath of the whole catholic world! The English dispatch an emissary to renew our alliance with the Aragonese, and promtly march into Navarre, Castille, Valencia. The Portuguese greet us from Leon, and the Spanish are wiped from the face of the Earth, devolving into a civil war and destruction in their remaining foothold, Murcia.

Right after the Spanish dissolve into a province of rebels, the Almohads reappear in Murcia! They field nothing but hordes of ill-equipped peasant soldiers, and the English sharpen their... bills. The King has been given a revalation and guidance to perform splendid miracles! He can now most effortlessly capture the glorious achievements of the nation in the most beautiful colourful pictures imaginable!

While we prepare our forces to erase the Almohads once and for all, disaster strikes. The King of Aragonese must become posessed by the devil himself, as he meaninglessly sinks our ship in the Gulf of Valencia, paying half of his fleet of two as the price. With bitterness we observe many of our allies shy away from us to favour the mad Aragonese. But through the bitterness a ray of hope remains, as the Pope recognises the evil of the Aragonese move, and chooses to stay with us at this dark moment.

Our attention turns from the Almohads to the Aragonese, although we await for further proof of their irredeemability before we would make the heavy decision to put an end to their now mangled existence. But alas, an even graver proof is shown that the devil himself walks the christian souls: the Portuguese engage in a madness identical to that of the Aragonese, and one more of our ships is sunk.

It is not the only disaster left for us: in anguish we now observe the Pope finally fail in his judgement and refuse us their friendship, choosing to stay with the possessed Portuguese. Next year, our anguish becomes despair as the Pope is captured by the Sicilians and made into a marionette. The Pope's previous decision has been clearly merely the opening acchord to this macabre act that the whole of the world now seems to play, conducted by none other than Lucifer.

With only Venetians and Crusader States staying by our side, we remain one of the few last stands of true Christiandom in a darkened world. Our fleet is strong, but it is not strong enough to withstand the attacks of everyone. Our armies are strong, but they are not strong enough to resist everyone. We observe the French amass an army in Tolouse. Perhaps we have not enough time anymore to wait for the proof that they are fallen. Perhaps we must shield our heart with steel and act in anticipation of a despicable move.

As one is certain: we must act decisively if are to prevent hell from rising to the Earth.

As you can tell, I am enjoying this rule of no aggression against Catholics *A LOT* :) I was *really* surprised that it is possible to go that long without being attacked by a fellow catholic nation. Of course, it can't go on forever and I am now in a genuinely difficult position, and could potentially perish if everyone gangs up on me (that is a highly desirable thing, if you can't tell :)). My #"%/@ crusade is still marching after 25+ years... I'll know better next time.

Great stuff Vantek!

25 years for the Crusade is something special! Surely the soldiers who started out have now relinquished their places to their respective sons.

I suppose new volunteers could be inspired by the line "See Medieval Europe, join the 'never ending crusade'..."

Thread Necromancer Member Vantek's Avatar

I believe by now the crusading force is a dynamic constantly changing mass formed by new soldiers joining in and old ones leaving :P At most a tenth of it are old veterans still there from the start... I've finally reached into Anatolia though, so the days of fun are over! I believe Egyptians are at most two provinces away...

I think lucrative though it may be, I will not break my original commitment, and will refuse to aggress the French myself. Instead, I will forget about Brittany, forget about Anjou (along with its two crusade markers and sourcing of the one still marching... sigh), keep Aquitaine at all costs, conquer Aragon and keep it at all cost, and then fill Iberia with red counter-clockwise. I will punish the aggressors in the order they sinned. Almohad peasants are of no consequence. ATM money is no problem (5K profit every year, and lots of useless buildings ready to be sold in various locations) so I will not waste strategic opportunity to try and capture the Portuguese king. I'll probably milk them dry with princes alone anyway. If the French have aggressed while this is going on, I will of course take them on next and try to reach Friesland-Lorraine-Burgundy-Provence line. I think I will have effectively won if I succeed.

The bulk of my army is made of Welsh Longbowmen and Mercian (?) Billmen. I've actually never used them before, but they're great! I have now actually sacrificed some of my fleet construction to help with army formation instead. My fleet reaches far enough to wrap Italy, and my trade income is lovely (though nowhere near as crazy in XL as in vanilla). Thankfully both the Aragonese and the Portuguese had only 2 ships... But the French have a powerful navy and if they aggress - or rather, WHEN they aggress - my life will get very tight. The Scots, despite being completely stagnant since turn 5, are nevertheless forcing me to keep a garrison in Northumbria.

My king is a little over 50 and his first son is 4 years away from becoming of age... I pray to god that it will be a good son and that the father will not die before. At the moment the first candidate is a 45 year old alcoholic... And despite that, he is actually the best candidate... Sigh.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Oh, the joys and sorrows of the English throne...
    Excellent story, Vantek, many thanks.

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051 LastLast