Thread: Useful Links for RTW

Post Useful Links for R:TW

Most of this information was originally compiled by Kekvit Irae and therother over the years. I've transfered "ownership" of it to myself so I'm able to keep it updated and ensure all links remain valid. Just so you know, that means that I've ripped Kekvit's name off it and stuck my own on instead - that's why the date is just under two years before I joined.

Thank you Kekvit and therother for all your previous hard work on compiling and maintaining this highly useful list of links

Useful R:TW Links

First and foremost, the Guild FAQ (and rules):
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=45416
    Download Servers

Official Patches
    Bear in mind that the White Label edition of the game and the SEGA Gold edition do not need patching. You can check which version you have by going into the "Options" menu on the games opening screen and looking at the number in the top left hand corner of the window.
    • Patch 1.6 for BI/R:TW - this patch also patches R:TW to v1.5. (53.6 MB)
    • Patch 1.5 for R:TW (without BI installed) - you will need 1.3 installed first. (24.7 MB)
    • Patch 1.3 for R:TW (without BI). This is for vanilla R:TW (without BI) only. You do not need to download this patch if you already have BI installed, but you do need to download it (or patch 1.2) should you wish to patch R:TW without BI to v1.5. (101MB)
    • Patch 1.2 for R:TW. This is for vanilla R:TW (without BI) only. You do not need to download this patch if you already have BI installed, but you do need to download it (or patch 1.3) should you wish to patch R:TW without BI to v1.5. This patch is probably the best solution for a 1.5 upgrade due to its smaller size and its lower number of reported problems compared to v1.3. (41.4 MB)
    • Patch 1.1 for R:TW - addresses mainly multiplayer issues (game stability, performance and synchronisation) and reduces strength of elephant units. You don't need this patch to install 1.2 or any subsequent patches. (8.8 MB)

Other Official Downloads

Guides
    General

Specific Topics

Fixes
    Game workarounds and CTD fixes

Fan-made Patches
    • BUG-FIXER - an unofficial patch for Rome: Total War 1.5/BI v1.6 which fixes many issues.
    • Discovered bugs: Unit bugs 1 & 2, Trait bugs.

Forum Info
    • The Guild FAQ - Collection of useful information that answers many commonly asked questions, as well hints and tips on Forum usage. Includes the Forum Rules.
    • Synopsis of the Guild Forums - run-down of current forums, each with a short description. It's a little outdated, not covering some of the newer forums, but it gives a synopsis of most forums in the database.
    • Signature Picture Rules - the rules on pictures in signatures.

Useful Information posted by CA Devs

Useful Tools
    • d0t's best capital calculator - calculates the best position for minimising distance to capital public order penalties throughout your entire empire (broken link - if anybody finds a replacement link feel free to drop me a PM)
    • Ravenous Bugblatter Beast's advanced version of the capital locator, which allows you to set the maximum unrest that distance from capital is permitted in each city when calculating the optimal capital. (partially broken link - the tool exists but is not fully functional containing a major issue which reduces its potential. If anybody finds a replacement link/tool feel free to drop me a PM.)
    • Seppel's city growth rate calculator.

Research/Game Mechanics Links

Battle Map Research
    The Research Subject Tree, in the Ludus Magna, indexes research threads more comprehensively.

Strategy Map Research

Useful Research Tools
    • GodsPetMonkey's Unit and Building Editors for RTW - useful tool for editing/viewing unit stats. Hadrian, who's link is broken in the thread, can be found here.
    • ShellShock's RomeSAGE – save game modifier allowing difficulty changing mid game. Especially useful if you fancy adding a challenge later or are finding the game too hard.
    • Finn's Rome: Total War Cheat unlocker – unlocks further RomeShell commands, and removes the one-a-game restriction. Download link can be found here (the one in the thread is broken). Ensure you read the thread prior to downloading though - there are important instructions in there required to make the mod work.
    • ArtMoney - memory address editor, useful for editing money, populations, etc.
    • XVI32 - a hex editor.

Historic Battlefield Tactics Discussions

If there's anything you want to add, feel free to drop me a PM. All links must relate to the vanilla aspect of the game, preferably at patch 1.6 (BI) or 1.5 (R:TW). Modding links belong in the modding forums rather than in the Colosseum (designed for discussion over the vanilla/lightly modified R:TW game).

Thanks
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 02-02-2009 at 17:24.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Post Re: Useful Links for RTW

I've updated the initial links and fixed/removed/requested a fix for broken links. If anybody wants to contribute, feel free to send me a PM containing your contribution. You also are welcome to add links to the Links and Downloads Manager in the relevant categories.

The following two links are broken/have limited functionality. If anybody could find replacements for them, it would be greatly appreciated.
    • d0t's best capital calculator - calculates the best position for minimising distance to capital public order penalties throughout your entire empire.
    • Ravenous Bugblatter Beast's advanced version of the capital locator - allows more advanced choosing of a capital than d0t's version.

Thanks

BTW, to keep the thread clean and clutter free, I'm going to close it. As I've said, all contributions are welcome and can be provided via PM.

Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 06-07-2008 at 20:37.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed