Thread: The world has officially lost all taste!

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default The world has officially lost all taste!

Look at this:

LONDON, England (AP) -- Brightly colored paintings by Congo the chimpanzee are going on sale at a prestigious London auction house alongside works by Andy Warhol and Renoir.

The collection of three tempera on paper paintings -- described as resembling abstract artworks -- are expected to fetch between $1,130 and $1,500 next month at Bonhams Modern and Contemporary sale.
    Chinpanzees are better artists then humans now? Is this suposed to be some kind of joke that went to far?!?
    Last edited by Byzantine Prince; 05-12-2005 at 12:17.

Default Re: The world has officially lost all taste!

Congo is not a very good painter

Are you expecting heated debate over this, BP?

Anyway, I can't say if it's art or not. Looks a bit like some art I've seen...
    Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
    Paul Peru: Holier than thy bucket!

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Oh man, I am going to have to kill myself. I read the story and I swear my first reaction was "That's interesting, I wonder who owns the intellectual property rights in a painting done by a chimpanzee."

I need a new career.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

"That's interesting, I wonder who owns the intellectual property rights in a painting done by a chimpanzee."
    Probably the chimpanzee's manager.

I personally think it's wrong to thrust young chimpanzees like Congo into the limelight too early. Sure they initially enjoy the success and thrive on the public acclaim, but soon the money and fame start to go to their heads, they are too rich too soon and they fall in with the wrong crowd. Once they fall in love with gambling, women and cocaine.
    It's only a matter of time before Congo becomes another washed up, mentally dead, willing to appear on any reality TV show just to keep themselves in the media and fund their habbit, chimpanzee failure like Snuggles, Mr Ook and Ozzy Osbourne.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Nah, I hear that Congo did Prince Harry's A level art for him, so the Windsors will have to keep him in coke and bimbos or he'll tell all to News of the Chimps.

(Link for non-uk partrons who have no idea what I am talking about http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4529489.stm I'm still trying to get my head round exactly how piggin stupid Prince Harry must be)
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Nah, I hear that Congo did Prince Harry's A level art for him, so the Windsors will have to keep him in coke and bimbos or he'll tell all to News of the Chimps.
    ROFL! Very good EA, lol.

As for the art, if people buy it, doesn't really matter to me.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Hats off, gentlemen, this thread is hilarious.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

I can't wait for those crazy-ass art critics to start and look for the 'higher intelligence of Congo' in those paintings...

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

It's only a matter of time before Congo becomes another washed up, mentally dead, willing to appear on any reality TV show just to keep themselves in the media and fund their habbit, chimpanzee failure like Snuggles, Mr Ook and Ozzy Osbourne.
    Do you think they'd let him on "I'm a celebrity get me out of here"?

'Cos lets face it he's going to breeze the jungle tucker trials for a start.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Yup, and next you know he'll be hosting Pimp My Ride's 5th season. And in The Real World at the same time.

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Maybe they are just misunderstood humans trapped in a body yet to be evolved.....

Quote Originally Posted by bmolsson
    Maybe they are just misunderstood humans trapped in a body yet to be evolved.....
    Being trapped in the wrong body can be a horrible thing. I read something in NY Times a couple of weeks ago about amputees who were trapped in healthy/non-amputated bodies, and were desperate to have their conditions surgically corrected.

Not to mention being trapped in the wrong body when one's significant other unexpectedly shows up. (I would imagine)

Trying to get back on topic... If this was in the "speak your own language" thread, I could have made a lame joke about cats that paint.
    Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
    Paul Peru: Holier than thy bucket!