Thread: Possible Expansion for HTW- if anyone's interested

Default Possible Expansion for HTW- if anyone's interested

I've been a huge fan of HTW for months now, and have made a small expansion if anyone is interested. The problem is getting it to people, since it takes up TONS of space.
    What I did, is create a night and dusk mod that takes over the Rock Desert and Sand Desert (I don't think there are very many Saharan landscapes in, for example, Crete or Macedonia!) The night mod is a darkened lanscape with various star studded skies, some with the moon. The dusk lanscape is reddish and slightly dark, I borrowed the sky pics in this from the ones from METW from Mordor (I know, you see the mountains of Mordor, but they equally can be, let's say, in Thrace.) I will put screenshots up when I get the chance.
    I have modded accompanying night sounds to go with it, and have changed many of the bird sounds to more european ones.
    I have modified some of the sounds for the campaign map (wedding,etc) to short clips of ancient music.
    I fixed some of the names that didn't seem to be there (barbarian warship, myc_chariots, etc.)
    And, last but not least, an optional mod- I put elephant sound effects for small groups of camels and made the elephant mount into a camel instead of a horse. Thus, Medianite Cameliers should probably flee before enough of them die to get to the elephant sfx. And the elephants trumpet as they charge into battle.
    I have done a couple other things, I have to go for now,
    Laus Deo,
    Iustinus
    Awen ha ni?

Default Re: Possible Expansion for HTW- if anyone's interested

Oh, besides my expansion, I have a question that's been troubling me.
    Suddenly, I am getting very, very random ctd's in the campaign map for apparently most campaigns- Bronze Age, Persian Wars, and Classic era are what I have tested with it. I have never had ctd's in HTW, (or in any other mod for MTW) like this before. They are so strange and seem to have come out of no where.
    Sometimes it ctd's as soon as the campaign starts. I start over, and the game seems to be running smoothly. I may be surveying troops on the map, or messing with taxes, or reading about hoplites, etc, and suddenly it just shuts off. I am fairly experienced with ctd's and these are the strangest and most random I have ever seen. I don't know what it's from (everything worked fine yesterday!) because the only think I worked on today was turning the Battle Tutorial into part of HTW, i.e. Macedonian Companions versus Persian Archers instead of knights, bla bla bla.
    Well, I would appreciate any help, if anyone knows what this is from!
    Thanks,
    Iustinus
    Awen ha ni?

My apologies, the ctd is fixed now- I still don't know what it was from, but I restarted my computer and cleaned it of spyware and the ctd stopped.
    Once I figure out how to post screenshots I'll put them up.
    Thanks!
    Iustinus
    Awen ha ni?

Forsmark, Sweden, where the radiation keeps me warm.

Sounds very interesting Lustinus. May I ask if you add more units in your mod?
    I support the Pike and Musket:Total War

Also Europa Barbarorum supporter!

There are no new units that I have created-
    But I am also working on an expansion on the Macedonian wars and Roman invasion- I am no expert on this time period and any help would be appreciated. However, using graphics already in HTW (with weapons and shields that don't seem to be used by any units in the game) I've made for the Romans Velites and Equites, and made Galatian Warriors.
    With summer here I'm not going to have much time on the computer.....
    But all this mod does is fix a few things in HTW, and optionally add night and dusk landscapes, and possibly an expansion campaign with some new units. And lots of new sound effects.
    Thanks!
    Iustinus/Justin
    Awen ha ni?

Hey Iustinus.

How is it going with the mod?

Awesome so far-
    I don't have time to do the Alexander expansion map right now, but eventually might. New unit graphics (based off of the old HTW unit graphics) include Persian Heavy cavalry, Thracian peltasts, Galatian warriors, Samnite infantry, and Indian troops.
    There are many new units added, and I completely changed the unitprod and projectile file to make it more balanced and realistic- I attempted to make the unit speeds in proportion to real life speeds, so now cavalry is way faster.
    There is a huge, all new soundtrack, new sfx, and all new bird sounds- all recordings of birds one would hear in the Balkans and Asia Minor. Also, new epic bifs so it finally is a complete ancient mod of MTW.
    The elephants now sound like elephants.
    I'm attempting to get or record troop orders in Greek, and would love to get some in Persian.
    New Factions, for a custom battle expansion, include the Romans, Galatians, Skythians, and Mauryans (which I need to research more.)

Here is the problem/danger with this mod:
    One, I've changed it so much that I don't remember half of what I've changed. So it would pretty hellish trying to make an installer for people.

Two- a lot of stuff (much of the soundtrack, and other stuff) comes from other mods and game demos, and I don't want to make anybody unhappy.

Three- I have two major problems right now- for unknown reasons, the campaigns ctd when you end the first turn, and some units for no apparent reason suddenly don't work- instead of staying in formation they wander all over the map.

It's unfortunate because it was going so well! I'm getting very experienced with the causes of ctd's and other modding problems, but I've finally come upon two big mysteries.

Laus Deo,

Iustinus/Justin
    Awen ha ni?

Oh, I forgot to mention:
    I also changed some of the Architecture to make it look more Greek.
    The rock desert is now back to desert, but sand desert is used for the dusk mod, for night battles.
    I've created maps with actual huge trees, by creating various sizes for the tree models, so now you actually feel like you are in a forest.
    There are so many things, I don't know how I will be able to balance and finish this!

Justin
    Awen ha ni?

Well it all sounds awesome! I am so eager to play it and I wish you the best of luck removing those bugs. Please try to release this...

Default Screenshots

Here are some screenshots, i need to change some flags.
    The Macedonian Phallanx is the same as the old HTW, as well as the Persian archers. Most units are the same as HTW with minor changes and often new weapons and shields- I added eight new different Hoplite shields for the Proclassical age, based on area. I don't know if I can ever upload this, it probably is too large! However, I can definately eventually make cd's to send to people.

Battle:
    https://img136.imageshack.us/full.ph...=battle8ef.png

Apple Bearers:
    https://img136.imageshack.us/full.ph...mortals4vh.png

Pezhetairoi
    https://img136.imageshack.us/full.ph...etairoi1uh.png

Thracians:
    https://img136.imageshack.us/full.ph...eltasts4mp.png

Hastati break into Greek fort:
    https://img136.imageshack.us/full.ph...through0uh.png

Iustinus/Justin
    Awen ha ni?

Beautiful!

Is it possible to upload the files to filefront, 3d downloads or something like that. Maybe split it up in small parts (people will have to learn install by themselfes).

Aboy the cd:s. Won´t that cost you some money Justin?

Thanks!
    I would be scared to do so because I am not sure of everything I have changed- but when I think about it, within the next couple of months, if I have time, I can make two seperate installers, one for music, one for the rest, and upload them somewhere. Once I get rid of the ctd and unit movement problem, add some new flags, and fix some things, it should be finished. Then it only needs testing to find any other errors. Hopefully I will be finished soon- I have a ton of homework at this school and have to pass a writing requirement this semester.
    Iustinus/Justin
    Awen ha ni?

Thank you very much!

Feel no pressure to release it early, I have also alot homework and know how it is...

I am also a big fan of HTW, and would welcome this new expansion.

You could upload your files here for FREE (it gives you unlimited 50mb per file with unlimited downloads):

http://rapidshare.de/

IS there any chance of you releasing the buildings at least as a patch, because that fort looks great and I would very much like to use it with normal HTW and I am surely interested in your expansion, though I see no one has posted here in some time I sincerely hope this is still in the works :)