Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Campaign map

Default Re: Campaign map

Islamic quotes:

Slay them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage.

Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home: an evil fate.

We arrange unhappy events among mankind so that God may test the true believers and select some of you to become martyrs. He does not love the evil doers. He will test the faithful and will annihilate the infidels

Did you really believe that you would enter paradise before God tested your commitment to fight for him and to endure suffering with fortitude? God loves the steadfast.

"Be content with what Allaah has given you, and you will be the richest of people."

Slay the Idolaters wherever you find them. Seize them, surround them and everywhere lie in ambush for them. But if they repent from their wrong beliefs and establish regular prayers and pay Zakah, then spare their lives. God is Oft-Forgiving and Ever Merciful.

"If you should die or be slain in the cause of God, His forgiveness and His mercy would surely be better than all the riches..."

"Muhammad is God's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another."

I like these best:

Have no fear of man. Fear me.

"Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme."

"Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it."

"Fight for the cause of God with the devotion due to Him...He has given you the name of Muslims..."

God creates you weak. After weakness he gives you strength.

Fight for the sake of God those that fight against you, but do not attack them first. God does not love the aggressors.

-Skel-

Age of vikings and fanatics: Total War

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScionTheWorm
    will make a few more first and then start a thread. I have some badass ideas to loading screens now. I can certaintly use neongods new ones, but I have an idea which requires an authentic historical quote about the greatness of christianity (or islam) - if anyone has such a thing up in their sleeve - would be great. Will also make some for the eastern steppe culture, islam etc, but if not, they will certaintly appear when the units and screenshots are coming. I think they will all contain some kind of wartheme, not only nature or medieval people.

Btw does anyone know the max number of loadingscreens in rtw?

And, I have no idea about how or if your quotes will be used in the mod....
    Quotes aren't added on the loading screens manually, but automatically. Unfortunately this means the font of vanilla R:TW quotes will be used. Also, I don't know the maximum number of screenshots but you can have at least 16. I'd guess they've chosen 2565 or any other standard value, but they could also have used a completely different system for coding it and 16 could be the maximum.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    Quotes aren't added on the loading screens manually, but automatically. Unfortunately this means the font of vanilla R:TW quotes will be used. Also, I don't know the maximum number of screenshots but you can have at least 16. I'd guess they've chosen 2565 or any other standard value, but they could also have used a completely different system for coding it and 16 could be the maximum.
    I know that, that's just to set the picture in context. If we of some reason make dozens, we could cut the quotes in-game and just use it on the pictures.. I for once like having them in right context
    Last edited by ScionTheWorm; 07-04-2005 at 19:06.

Don't mind if potential loading screens has too bright colors . If I/we make a lot of loading screens they will eventually be photoshop'ed so they don't mess up the foreground as a background...
    Last edited by ScionTheWorm; 07-04-2005 at 19:53.

Last edited by ScionTheWorm; 07-04-2005 at 20:09.

That last one is hilarious! The other one is nice and dramatic, too. I like it.

Thanks to some guidance from Narayanese in Citadel Total War and some experimentation, I've learned a few new things in 3d max. Here is sort of a preview of two units, both very simplified - removed some objects to get it to look good from this perspective, and from this close

Scottish Claiomhnaghta finishing of an irish levy
    Last edited by ScionTheWorm; 07-13-2005 at 08:21.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

You might also like to include some quotes by Ali ibn Abi Talib, fourth Caliph of Islam.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ali_ibn_Abi_Talib

Watch out for those from Peak of Eloquence though; that book was released long after his death by shiites and is known to contain propaganda, totally unbefitting of such an enlightened man as Ali. You'd best go with those at the top, those might be under 'Attributed', but they are his (the heading is incorrect) and not fabricated after his death, when he became a tool for political games.

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Quote Originally Posted by ScionTheWorm
    Thanks to some guidance from Narayanese in Citadel Total War and some experimentation, I've learned a few new things in 3d max. Here is sort of a preview of two units, both very simplified - removed some objects to get it to look good from this perspective, and from this close

Scottish Claiomhnaghta finishing of an irish levy
    Tell me you can make that shot part of the death animation...

sorry, I think they would be totally unsynchronized..
    Last edited by ScionTheWorm; 07-14-2005 at 07:08.

I don't think anything can be done about battlefield gore, but a head on parade here or there added solely for atmosphere would work wonders.

Son of a Star Member Bar Kochba's Avatar

is it possible to have part of greenlan in this mod or even go all the way to newfoundland or just vinland
    "It is not so much that we need to be taken out of exile. It is that the exile must be taken out of us."- Lubavitcher Rebbe

"Its a great mitzva to be happy always" Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

We want moshiach now!!

I believe that adding in Greenland could be a good idea, could do wonders for infighting among the Viking factions. You could have Greenland rebel, and to ensure that int would be invaded by the vikings simply utilise the Massalia trick. In fact the Massalia trick should be used on the Englisc, and Norman coasts.

As for new foundland, that would just be silly, I mean imagine the amount of time it would take to cross the sea. Plus we'd have to add a new faction, the Ameri-Indians.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

That trick doesn't really work that well.
    I'm still not here

Yeah it does, it worked fin on RTR. Its exactly the same as having two provinces naxt to each other, the AI always attacks provinces addjacent to it. But I guess it could be tested.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Son of a Star Member Bar Kochba's Avatar

i just recently read this book about vikings i dont know if its historcly acurate its written by tim severin
    "It is not so much that we need to be taken out of exile. It is that the exile must be taken out of us."- Lubavitcher Rebbe

"Its a great mitzva to be happy always" Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

We want moshiach now!!

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Campaign map

Any news on the map ? LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix seems to be away.
    Anyway, I'll gladly help with the french, german and spanish provinces (I already made a lot of research for Viking Age -dead- mod, aswell as for Fury of the Northmen -dead- mod for MTW)

Default Re: Re : Campaign map

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    Any news on the map ? LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix seems to be away.
    Anyway, I'll gladly help with the french, german and spanish provinces (I already made a lot of research for Viking Age -dead- mod, aswell as for Fury of the Northmen -dead- mod for MTW)
    Hi, I just came back today If you have any good research stuff for the provinces in those regions to contribute with, that would be highly appreciated . That area is semi-researched, but not perfect yet. The worst area in terms of research is however the area from the eastern border of HRE to Novgorod and south down to the Balkans.

Anyway, if you want to help with provinces, here's our policy for choices of provinces/cities:
    1. correct choice of cities is more important than choice of province drawings
    2. if many cities end up close to each other in one area and very far away from each other in another area that isn't a bad thing - on the contrary it adds depth to the strategy etc.
    3. cities should preferably have local names, but if the areas were subject to many owner-changes during the mod period, the most important name during the first 50 years of the mod should probably be used, but it's then up for discussion which name to use.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

About Spain/Al-andalus.. Finding arabic names to the Caliph held provinces here wold be cool. The muslims held allmost all of spain (atleast the suthern parts) up to the reconquesta mutch laterthen the game ends.

I'll see if there is any arabic maps on that area.

-Skel-

Ok, but I think there are already city names for the Spain area here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...0&page=1&pp=30

Check the post at the very bottom of the page... Didn't find any Arabic province names though
    Under construction...

Ah, ok, didn't see that, but when do you actually see the provincename?
    We could use arabic names for the Caliphate held city's, and use the provincenames as listed in the post.

-Skel-

Legio, I'm going to put up a map as soon as possible :)

I think I might help with HRE Novgorod

Okay, in order to help the mod, I made some research for the possible provinces. I already had a whole lot of map, since I was the map editor of the dead project of Viking Age TW mod.

Here's a first sample of France, Burgundy and Northern spain I made this morning :

The province aren't totally accurate for gameplay's sake (ie : Normandy wasn't called Normandy yet, lower Normandy was part of the County of Britany)

Province - City :

1 - Aquitaine - Limoges
    2 - Gascogne - Bordeaux
    3 - County of Brittany - Rennes
    4 - Neustria/County of Maine/County of Anjou - Orléans (could be replaced by Le Mans or Angers)
    5 - Septimania - Montpellier (could be replaced by Narbonnes)
    6 - Provence - Marseilles
    7 - Burgundy - Besancon
    8 - France - Paris
    9 - Duchy of Flanders (Duché des Flandres) - Boulogne
    10 - Upper Normandy - Rouen
    11 - Lower Normandy - Avranches
    12 - Spanish March - Barcelona
    13 - Navarre - Pamplona
    14 - Castilla - Burgos
    15 - Leon - Oviedo (could be remplaced by Leon -the city)
    16 - Gallicia - Oporto (could be replaced by Santiago de Compostela)

What do you think about it ?
    Names are subject to change, especially since Latin was I think still the most used language in the administration.

I'll try to complete the southern part of Spain, western germany and then I'll see what I can do for Russia and eastern Europe :)

Obviously, it's not official. I just wanted to help, and I like to study maps and the Viking Age
    Last edited by Meneldil; 07-27-2005 at 21:18.

Very very nice...

Using latin names allso fits my vision perfectly. I'm not really sure what Lego has got on those areas, but it looks really good. We might need 1 or 2 more provinces in in central france due to having Normands as a faction in Normandy.

I am not really sure about how far the muslims came, but i imo, the Al-Andalus areas should have muslim names.

Anyway, Legio has the final word in theat mather.

Thnx

-Skel-
    Last edited by skeletor; 07-27-2005 at 21:49. Reason: analphabeth, and stupid...

Aquitaine is huge! Is there a chance it could be divided into two or more provinces?

Gwledig of the Brythons Member Agraes's Avatar

Normandy wasn't called Normandy yet, lower Normandy was part of the County of Britany)
    Brittany was a kingdom at this time

And became a duchy after the viking invasion and the return from exil of Alan Barbetorte, the grandson of the last king Alan Mawr.

Default Re : Re: Campaign map

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    Aquitaine is huge! Is there a chance it could be divided into two or more provinces?
    Yeah, we could add the county of Toulouse and another small county like Auvergne or Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Agraes
    Brittany was a kingdom at this time

And became a duchy after the viking invasion and the return from exil of Alan Barbetorte, the grandson of the last king Alan Mawr.
    My mistakes, I'm not really fluent when it comes to brittany history ;)

I've now completed the map of Southern Spain. Since I couldn't find any political division in the Cordova Caliphate, I used a map of the Taifa period (around 1035), when the Muslim spain was not an united country anymore.
    I'm now trying to find Russian principalties' political borders.

Default Re: Re : Re: Campaign map

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    I've now completed the map of Southern Spain. Since I couldn't find any political division in the Cordova Caliphate, I used a map of the Taifa period (around 1035), when the Muslim spain was not an united country anymore.
    I'm now trying to find Russian principalties' political borders.
    I'm sure those names wold work fine..

Krusader wrote a list of Arabic names for some of the southern city's of Spin. Theese might help you fill some gap's..

Provinces in Spain (with Arabic names):
    * Andalusia - Ishbiliya (Sevilla)
    * Cordoba - Qurtubah (Cordoba)
    * Granada - Gharnatah (Granada)
    * Valencia - Balinsiyah (Valencia)
    * Castile - Tolaitola (Toledo) (owned by Al Andalus)
    * Aragon - Sarakusta (Zaragoza)

-Skel-

Here's in an updated version :

Some borders have been fixed, and I added southern Spain aswell as the biggest russian principalties. I first used a map of Russia in 1054, but since it was a bit late for the mod, I fixed some of the borders according to some map of earlier russia.

1 - Aquitaine - Limoges
    2 - Gascogne - Bordeaux
    3 - Kingdom of Brittany - Rennes
    4 - Neustria/County of Maine/County of Anjou - Orléans (could be replaced by Le Mans or Angers)
    5 - Septimania - Montpellier (could be replaced by Narbonnes)
    6 - Provence - Marseilles
    7 - Burgundy - Besancon
    8 - France - Paris
    9 - Duchy of Flanders (Duché des Flandres) - Boulogne
    10 - Upper Normandy - Rouen
    11 - Lower Normandy - Avranches
    12 - Spanish March - Barcelona
    13 - Principalty of Navarre - Pamplona
    14 - Kingdom of Castilla - Burgos
    15 - Kingdom of Leon - Oviedo (could be remplaced by Leon -the city)
    16 - Gallicia - Oporto (could be replaced by Santiago de Compostela)
    17 - County of Toulouse - Toulouse
    18 - Badajoz - Badajoz
    19 - Toledo - Toledo
    20 - Emirate of Zaragoza - Zaragoza
    21 - Valencia - Valencia (I don't know if this place was an independant Emirate or part of Cordoba during the 9th century)
    22 - Almeria - Almeria
    23 - Granada - Granada
    24 - Cordova - Cordova
    25 - Sevilla - Sevilla
    26 - (Principalty of ?) Novgorod - Novgorod
    27 - (Principalty of ?) Polotsk - Polotsk
    28 - (Principalty of ?) Smolensk - Smolensk
    29 - (Principalty of ?) Rostov-Suzdal - Rostov (could be replaced be either Vladimir or Suzdal)
    30 - (Principalty of ?) Kiev - Kiev
    31 - (Principalty of ?) Pereiaslav - Pereiaslav
    32 - (Principalty of ?) Chernihiv - Ryazan
    33 - Volhynia - Brest
    34 - Galich - Galich
    35 - Estonia ? - ???
    36 - Livonia ? - ???
    37 - Lithuania - ???
    38 - Prussia - ???
    39 - Pomerania - Kolberg
    40 - Mazovia - Plock
    41 - Chrobatia - Cracow
    42 - Polania - Posen

The political situation in Russia is kinda unclear for me. I don't know all cities were part of a Kievan 'kingdom' or independant principalties.

About Estonia and Livonia, I don't know if these provinces were called like that, but that's people living here were called Estonians and Livonians, so I think that's the best name I could have found. I don't have settlement names yet, but I'll find them later.

For Andalusian Provinces, see Skeletor's names in the previous post.

Some cities and province borders might be misplaced, but without rivers, moutains, I sometimes have to put the cities kinda randomly ;)
    Last edited by Meneldil; 07-28-2005 at 14:04.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast