Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chivalry Total War -- your Opinions?

Capital of the New Spartan Empire -- Sparta

Default Chivalry Total War -- your Opinions?

Well I searched the forums & didnt find quite what I was looking for, so here I go.

Do any of you here have the mod, & if you do, is it really good to you?

How is the combat?

Are there castles yet, or the same Rome buildings?

What all factions are there?

Have they put different pictures there for the units? I saw some screen shots of the campaign map, & it showed for example, Peasants, as something else, for example, an axeman, though that is not what it showed, just an example.

What else are they going to do modding wise?

I've checked of their website, http://stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry/, but didnt help too much on that, so I need info. from people who have actually played the game.

Default Re: Chivalry Total War -- your Opinions?

Well if that crappy site is any indication my opinion of them is lowering as we speak.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

The mod must be crap! Look at their forums!

Combat was great, and fairly well balanced. The faction list should be on the forums. I would wait until some more units are ready...63 is not enough for 19 factions.

Aristotle, Chadalac Muskalaid Member Muska Burnt's Avatar

ya that wasnt too impressive,well also im not really a mod person

Well alright then, looks like I wont be getting it.

Yep don't get it. Already there are great arguments against it:
    1)
    crappy site
    2)
    that wasnt too impressive
    3)
    Combat was great, and fairly well balanced. The faction list should be on the forums. I would wait until some more units are ready...63 is not enough for 19 factions
    Plus if you install it, you'll be asking why the campaign has so many bugs;)
    Might as well check the link you provided a second time...maybe there's a forum there..hmmm
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

Umm... the current version is only a beta for multiplayer purposes and only has the early medieval units. So it is completely unfair to criticise the SP campaign aspects or the small number of units as the mod is not yet complete...

As for the site, personally I would always rather people spend time making the mod itself to be good than spending time making a pretty website. Besides, it's a perfectly decent website for a mod people are doing for free.

Your not supposed to play the SP campaign because it does not work yet.

"I've checked of their website, http://stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry/, but didnt help too much on that, so I need info. from people who have actually played the game."

Since the beta came out 2 months ago they have stated(on their forum) its purely for multiplayer,cant see how you missed it.And imo it plays pretty well,although units are limited compared to rtw,they are all usable.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

If you guys bothered to read the info at the bottom of the homepage, then you would see that it's not finished for release.

It's also certainly unfair to bash this mod. This looks like one of the more amazing mods to be released.

Im with katank. Wait until the damn thing is done before you start flaming it!
    2.7 BETA wait for the full version.

I've heard that if you installed the Mod demo (or whatever is out now) you can't play RTW vinilla without unistalling and losing all of your games and such. Not cool.

most of the mods affect the game such that you can no longer play vanilla. isn't the simple (and recommended) way to just back-up RTW vanilla. If you dont want to lose your vanilla save-games when uninstalling maybe you could just copy those too (before uninstalling). if disk space is an issue, there's also a mod install/uninstall tool but i haven't tried this.

Hell, Indiana (Please pardon the redundancy)

Quote Originally Posted by Shottie
    I've heard that if you installed the Mod demo (or whatever is out now) you can't play RTW vinilla without unistalling and losing all of your games and such. Not cool.
    So, you're admitting that you installed a major MOD, that you didn't back up, and that you're blaming it on the MOD, rather than yourself, and on the fact that you knowingly altered your game in a major manner?

"not cool?" How about "not smart?"

In many other games I've played, a good MOD means that you do not have to concern yourself with the dynamics of such a thing.

This is more of, if you dont read up, you'll lose out, sorry. If someone told me that I'd call them an asshole personally.

But I do my homework well before I purcahse, download, or do anything on my PC, which is why I was asking around here.

I never said I DLed or installed a major MOD on my computer, so maybe you should learn how to READ posts before you go out of your way and try to make someone look stupid. I was just stating that that is what happens, because I dont know what he knows about MODs. So next time take your own advice and label yourself "not smart"

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

But then again, if you never installed a major mod, who are you to frighten others by stating it will screw up their installation?

Installing mods should be looked upon as installing a new game in 3 steps:
    • Copy/install a version of R:TW
    • Install the correct patch according to the readme (yes, you must read before playing)
    • Install the mod

If you replace a seat in your car, will you complain that "This seat is worthless, it's not the old seat!"?

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

We have this saying in Germany:
    "Those who can read have a clear advantage."

I've played the mod in custom battle. Looks awesome. Feels good.
    I still don't like the combat mode of R:TW, though.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

lol

this topic should be deleted, its worthless.
    [VDM]BuuKenshin

don't even bother with it...RTR eats it for lunch.

aka AggonyAdherbal Member Lord Adherbal's Avatar

ahhh so much ignorancy in this world
    Member of The Lordz Games Studio:
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era
    http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com

Member of The Lordz Modding Collective:
    Creators of Napoleonic Total War I & II
    http://www.thelordz.co.uk

Post Re: Chivalry Total War -- your Opinions?

Indeed, Sengoku Jidai will eat both for lunch

...and I thought fanboys for original R:TW was already bad enough

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

RTW fanboys like this:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27051

I mean, that's bad.

As I've always wanted to say, fanboyism is like ###. You can do anything with it but I don't want hear you doing it. Ever.
    Last edited by The_Mark; 06-20-2005 at 22:42. Reason: Hmm. I thought that m....bation was a perfectly civil word, with everyone telling it's perfectly natural, no? ;)

Chivalry Mod Team Member Kor Khan's Avatar

Here's some info for everyone on the mod

1. The website is horifically out of date. The last proper update was before christmas.

2. As stated before by many people (but which still never seems universally understood) The Current Version Is A Beta! That means: No CampMap, no high or late era units, no sieges and a few missing early era units (but not that many). One or two minor bugs as well.
    Once again: Even though you can do the campaign game, don't expect it to even be half finished.

3. For screenshots, DON'T look at the screenshots topic at SCC forum. That's also largely out of date. Preferably, look at the one at TWC which is a lot newer.

4. As for any mod: Back vanilla 1.2 up before installing Chivalry. That way, you can play RTW any time you like, you can delete the modded version if you don't like it and you can always copy again in case there is a second mod you want to install.

Even though these bits of information have been stated in many places, people still seem to complain about the fact that they've managed to miss out on them. Please: Read before you complain!

vrijbuiter Senior Member Rob The Bastard's Avatar

Abuse...
    Swearing...
    ###...

It doesn't appear to add anything of value to this forum.

Bring Back Buck

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

Sorry about that, just the "RTR pwns everything" blokes start to get on my nerves.

Nevertheless, in my opinion CTW is currently a great (MP) mod, even in it's beta stage. CTW's MP battles are the best thing to hit RTW (yet ). Slowed-down combat and well balanced units make the battles a lot more interesting, without imbalanced Romans/über units running over everything. Battles consisting of half an hour of fighting aren't that unusual, compared to vanilla's 5-10 mins of clickfest. You have enough of time to think about what to do, and that's assured that your opponent is doing the same.

CTW is mainly a MP mod, and rightly so. There aren't much of them around, even though they're needed. The MP community should be more lenient towards mods, as they enhance the gameplay greatly.

Siris, if you're into MP, trying the CTW beta is a must. If you aren't, wait for the full version that'll include SP campaign. As for your questions, I'll try to answer some of them.

Do any of you here have the mod, & if you do, is it really good to you?
    I have it, and I refuse to play MP without it. SP is still currently unplayable.

How is the combat?
    Combat speed is greatly lowered, unit balance is good, and the feel of battle is present in vastly larger quantities than in vanilla.

Are there castles yet, or the same Rome buildings?
    No castles yet, but I hear they're being done.

What all factions are there?
    England, France, HRE, a few crusader states + the papacy, Hungary, Kiev Rus, Cumans/Mongols, Almohads, Byzantines to name a few on the top of my head.

Have they put different pictures there for the units?
    Yes, different unit cards are there.

What else are they going to do modding wise?
    A large MP mod with units from three periods, castles, rebalanced combat, redone campaign map I reckon, pretty much a total conversion AFAIK.

Aristotle, Chadalac Muskalaid Member Muska Burnt's Avatar

i changed my mind that look like a decent mod but im still not planning on getting it since im not into mod really

One note to all flaming around here. This is not something which will be tolerated here around.

Those who enjoy such debate as reperesnted here can go to twcenter.net, becaus here are not welcome.

Chivalry mod is currently best MULTIPLAYER mod around and will remain so until Sengoku Jidai mod will be out, which I do belive will match him in multiplayer balance. Chivalry wipes out RTR mod in multiplayer aspect, with all respect to RTR mods.

Despite this mod is mainly made for mutliplayer, will also support singleplayer. It will be made for people who do enjoy QUALITY and INTELIGENT game.

I'm not a moder of this mod, it is simply great mutliplayer experience, becaus I miss good old days of MTW and VI.

This is only for those few who made flaming posts here. I do not care what you are thinking, especially not with shown attitude. You can go to you beloved moding section what twcenter.net is, where attitude like this is allowed there.

Chivalry mod is beta version and when will be finished you will be desperate to try it.

Now I do not want see any similar post like this, becaus this topic was mainyl posted to attract all those lost players from STW and MTW generation who might wonder here around and will decide to play Chivalry mod, to those who like good singleplayer aspect of the game though and to those RTW newcomers who like medieval era.

*thread closed*

New opened.

Duke John, how far are you with Sengoku Jidai? Adherbal have made really good work, becaus he has balanced factions and units very well indeed. multiplayer experience is great, if we compare it with current RTW version.

CTW is near the original MTW, despite it is more flexible. I'm curious how will Jidai mod solve multiplayer issues and how near Shogun will be - gameplay interferance, units, etc.

I've heard that if this two mods will be finished soon enough, then a lot of those players who consisted STW and MTW community will came back.

Regards

Cid

Post Re: Chivalry Total War -- your Opinions?

Cid, I do not want to steal too () much attention from C:TW, so please post in the SJ subforum if you have any questions. But I hope to have a release finished in august.

You won't steal attention. We need to work together to get people back.
    I will post there. Thanks.

Cid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast