Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chivalry Total War -- your Opinions?

Default Re: Chivalry Total War -- your Opinions?

I wouldn't say 'rtw fan boys' have bad taste for real time tactical battles, just different taste. I appreciate both RTW "vanilla and MTW", both games have different tactical aspects due to the difference in units available in the games, so one who had gotten too use to the former will feel arkward while trying out the latter.

These two are slighty different games but the basic concept of tactical appoach is the same. RTW is definately the more dynamic game while MTW/CTW mod requires "slightly" more tactical depths and is alittle more realistic in terms of the kill rate. But some balance issue is yet to be meet.

I feel that the molsem factions advantages doesn't seems to balance out their disadvantages, while the swabians swords are too cheap for their effectiveness as pointed out by some of my clan mates. I hope this will be noted. I have yet to try the danes out so I will do some test on them.

Can't wait for the high erra troops to be finished.

Just a question, shouldn't the moslem troops get advantages for fighting in deserts?

aka AggonyAdherbal Member Lord Adherbal's Avatar

I feel that the molsem factions advantages doesn't seems to balance out their disadvantages, while the swabians swords are too cheap for their effectiveness as pointed out by some of my clan mates. I hope this will be noted. I have yet to try the danes out so I will do some test on them.
    the Almohads are too weak indeed, but I think the Turks and Egyptians are decent. Of course it's quite hard to tell for me at this point because I know all the units, so most of the other players cannot fully compete with me yet.
    As for swabians, I realise they are a bit too strong (and too popular ;)). Rest assured it's one of the unit's that will be tweaked before the next beta (together with all other heavy infantry and 2handed weapon units).

Just a question, shouldn't the moslem troops get advantages for fighting in deserts?
    only camels do. I didn't want to give too many climate bonuses, because that either means muslims are (a bit) too strong in the desert, or (a bit) too weak in "lush"/winter maps. Heavily armoured units will eventualy get a fatigue penalty in hot climates (desert) though, but I'm not doing that yet because I first want to get the overall unit balance right.
    Member of The Lordz Games Studio:
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era
    http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com

Member of The Lordz Modding Collective:
    Creators of Napoleonic Total War I & II
    http://www.thelordz.co.uk

Default AW: Chivalry Total War -- your Opinions?

Well I was a bit disappointed by the skin for the Byzantines, but most of the other skins are real cool!
    Once the mod is really ready I´m sure to love it!
    Beati pauperes spiritu... (Quadratus in Asterix XVII)

Personally, I absolutly love CTW. I'm a little scared to go MP, because from the ladder site, it looks like Adherbal is like 12 million-0

:D oh come on he has one loss for sure :)

dont be afraid to go MP tis all fun and games :D

hmmm lemme think hmm... yeah... think I lost a game once...
    ;)

I see no reason to be scared to try MP just because of me though. We usually play teamgames, and it's all just for fun (isn't that the purpose of a "game" anyway). And it's quite obvious that as the sole person who knows all the stats and unit purposes by hearth I'm rather hard to defeat :) You might have to allearn some RTW habbits tho. It saddens me to see players throwing 3-4 cavalry units head-on against one of my own. That's just asking to be enveloped and destroyed. In RTW that could've been effective, but with the horse jump animation removed, they nolonger jump over eachother like a bunch of oversized rabbits doing endless charge damage.
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era

Adherbal has 12-0? One sec. Adherbal next time you are in lobby I challange you 1v1 ladder match. 12-0 pffff This is needed to be changed!
    Do you still has that axe for me m8? You might will need it this time.

Renly you need to know that Adherbal is not that bad player and seconldy that he made this mod.

Cid

Renly you need to know that Adherbal is not that bad player and seconldy that he made this mod
    You mean that "good", eh;)
    Honestly though, throwing cavalry around like in RTW is a very bad idea..actually charging head-on or otherwise is a bad idea as well heh
    Better stick to flanking(rearing for satisfactory results;)) with cav and concetrating large forces to the enemy's weakest point, while being fast enough to keep your own weak side/unsupported units out of enemy reach or have 'em stall as many opposing units as possible.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

Adherbal next time you are in lobby I challange you 1v1 ladder match. 12-0 pffff This is needed to be changed!
    I agree, 13-0 sounds better :P

won't be on this evening, or maybe past 23.00 CET (or later)

[boast]
    actualy I now remember I had 12-0 on the Napoleonic TW ladder TWC hosted once. Only Lord Stronghold was above me with 20-7 or so

EDIT: actualy it was 13-0 :D

[/boast]
    Last edited by Lord Adherbal; 06-28-2005 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by '[cF
    And it's quite obvious that as the sole person who knows all the stats and unit purposes by hearth I'm rather hard to defeat :)
    Part of the challenge in making a mod for multiplayer is to remove the need to study stats. Army purchase is more intuitive if each unit's purpose in the RPS system is clearcut. To that end, upgrades undermine knowing a unit's purpose because they break the RPS. In Samurai Wars, units are priced such that upgrades are not cost effective. As a result, there is little advantage to studying stats for purchasing units because a unit's base price is an accurate gauge of its performance, and the tactical use of each unit during battle is clear because a unit's purpose remains constant in the RPS system.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

It's cute how Puzz3D can always find a way to promote SamuraiWars

In Sengoku Jidai () I will elimate the upgrade buttons so that people will learn to play with and against a small set of units, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Unit costs will be an indication of their combat worthiness; Yari Ashigaru (lets say 200 koku) will not be as powerfull as Yari Samurai (400 koku).
    In a 4000 koku army you will need to make the choice wether to pick Samurai, knowing that they will destroy opposing Ashigaru, and that the opponent could buy 2 Ashigaru units which together can defeat the Samurai. But when the units are lined up it will be a different story; all Ashigaru will cause your centre to fail against Samurai, all Samurai and you are too easily outflanked.

A balance need to be made and I think that that balance is lost when people are able to upgrade or have too much koku to spend. In a 8000 koku army the player can choose just Samurai and the whole challenge of picking the right units and deploying them right is lost. With upgrades the Ashigaru can be made to withstand the Samurai.

...was this useful?

Actually that's the approach I advocated initially, but the "need to upgrade" seems to great for the majority (don't know why honestly- perhaps it creates the illusion that many more tactical options become available?).
    In RTW it certainly appears harder than VI to achieve the R/P/S system's functionality with a greater amount of units, simply due to the unknown battle mechanics. Ofcourse the more extensive stats range does allow more variation but some other elements need to be clarified before making definate statements on balance. The fact for example that missile weapons have their own "power/effect"-variable doesn't help imo.
    Apart from the "special abilities" and the speeds, to which is also difficult to apply a relative value that 'll modify the particular unit's cost.

I 've also said many times that the way "better" units behave when facing considerably "weaker" ones has also changed, in comparison to VI. Seems like the relatively believable RTW physics will create a situation where even a rear attack by the weak unit against the ,say, engaged "strong" one will result into very minor to minimal losses for the latter and a nice rout for the former, punishing the thought of rearing with units that wouldn't have a reasonable chance of winning frontally.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

personally I think upgrades add interesting choices, allowing you to turn a couple of units into "elite veterans". But I agree removing them could provide interesting gameplay just as well, and especially easier to balance.

RSP gameplay is only a part of the TW gameplay tho, especially now with the much more flexible unit movement in RTW. Being capable of micromanaging your units fast and effective can result in great effect - which I like.

Duke John I know what you are pointing, but I don't belive that STW was different in this aspect. (correct me if wrond never played it)

You also have to had in mind that those less strong units, even upgreaded are not as good as few ''elite'' upgreaded units.

I think chivalry is better then MTW2 !!
    But the rebels!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12