Thread: Pampas Grass

Default Pampas Grass

1. How do I get rid of it?
    After cutting most of it away I have reached the bottom of it. But it is nearly solid.

2. I have been cut by it all over my left arm, some on my right and on my right leg. I am now covered in redish lines and cuts.

Is there something I can put on it?

Default Re: Pampas Grass

How do you get rid of it?

* Pulling or digging out the plants while small is best. Small ones are easily pulled by hand when the soil is moist. Winter and spring are good seasons. A pulaski and shovel are useful when a plant is too large to pull safely by hand.
    * The mature plants are very difficult to remove by hand. It is possible to undercut and remove one using a combination of pulaski and shovel, but it takes a long time. The easiest way is to place a choker cable around the plant's base and pull it out with a winch. If the choker slips off the plant, dig around the base for a better grip and try again. The soil must be moist. Winter and spring are good seasons. After removal, turn the plant upside down so that the roots no longer touch the ground. Re-check every few months for contact. Unless able to take root again, the plant will die.
    * Cutting the plumes off and placing them in bags helps to prevent further seed dispersal. The plumes cannot be cut and left on bare ground. The seeds will sprout.
    * Providing an environment conducive to rapid growth of native trees soon produces shade adequate to exclude Pampas grass. The quality of environment for growth of natives is improved by reducing Pampas grass' competition.

Source: http://www.nps.gov/redw/pampas.htm
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane

I had already found that website, but thanks anyway.

I cannot use a truck to pull it out, I do not have truck and it is my back garden.

Right now I am more worried about my arm. It looks like I have been cutting myself.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Be nice to it, and say that you're going to plant it on a nature reserve, but just dump it on the motorway. Or, being realistic, set fire to it, and then once the fire is out, cover it all in weedkiller. But don't put the weedkiller on while everything burns, or you'll almost blow yourself up...trust me, i know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Pampas grass?

Hmm, don't think I ever smoked that kind.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Lol I am certain you wouldn't off. Actually I wonder what it would be like to smoke pampas grass........... *day dreams for a while about the posibility*

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Why remove it, it's pretty. You can kill it if you pour gasoline on it, but why would you want to.

That's some Epic-level Necromancy there.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Member thankful for this post:

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Wow, this thread is almost 10 years old.

As Hax said, some expert level necromancy right there.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?