Wonderful. Just, wonderful.

Default Re: How to make Historical Battles

Quote Originally Posted by Cid
    Thanks Pericles,

Will do.
    My pleasure...

I have a question:

How can one determine the co-ordinates on a map so I can place units?

I have looked everywhere and have not seen this info posted.

In particular, I would like to modify existing battles but I would like to be able to place units where I like.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Pericles; 09-03-2005 at 23:20.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Some one needs to make the battle of Gaugamela, or Issus...

Or Hydaspis. That would be awsome!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    Some one needs to make the battle of Gaugamela, or Issus...

Or Hydaspis. That would be awsome!
    Those battles have already been made - you can find them in the Hellenic Total War Mod. Also, other battles are available at the Wargamer.com.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles
    I have a question:

How can one determine the co-ordinates on a map so I can place units?

I have looked everywhere and have not seen this info posted.

In particular, I would like to modify existing battles but I would like to be able to place units where I like.

Thanks.
    Pericles, this part of the guide relates to map co-ordinates.

Position – two number co-ordinate on the map with the first number being the x co-ordinate and the second the y co-ordinate. The average map is about 50k by 50k so a co-ordinate of 10000 40000 would be in the top left hand corner of the map. When placing units together you need to place them at intervals of 2000 for x co-ordinates and 1000 for y co-ordinates to allow them enough room to deploy. (Assuming they are facing north or south)

Apart from this it is just trial and error. Do not worry: it is not too difficult. It is just a little frustrating that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbrosiusAurelianus
    Pericles, this part of the guide relates to map co-ordinates.

Position – two number co-ordinate on the map with the first number being the x co-ordinate and the second the y co-ordinate. The average map is about 50k by 50k so a co-ordinate of 10000 40000 would be in the top left hand corner of the map. When placing units together you need to place them at intervals of 2000 for x co-ordinates and 1000 for y co-ordinates to allow them enough room to deploy. (Assuming they are facing north or south)

Apart from this it is just trial and error. Do not worry: it is not too difficult. It is just a little frustrating that is all.
    Thanks for the info.

I had read that bit previously, but thought it was just general information.

So this means that there is no utility to place units on a map?

It all has to be done through trial and error?

Now I know why there aren't more historical battles.

It's easy enough to alter existing battles, but to add new units to new battles will be tedious indeed...

How on earth did the creators of all these battles ever get all those units to line up properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles
    Thanks for the info.

How on earth did the creators of all these battles ever get all those units to line up properly?
    Lining them up is easy. Just put a unit in place. Then for the next unit in line keep one co-ordinate the same and change the other by 250 or whatever, to put the second to the side or behind etc. Once you have the first unit in place it's easy to place the others. It's just that getting the first one where you want it that can be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbrosiusAurelianus
    Lining them up is easy. Just put a unit in place. Then for the next unit in line keep one co-ordinate the same and change the other by 250 or whatever, to put the second to the side or behind etc. Once you have the first unit in place it's easy to place the others. It's just that getting the first one where you want it that can be tricky.
    Thanks for that tip.

Much appreciated :)

Cheers!

Hi all,
    The historical battles that we have written are available for download at:

http://www.3ddownloads.com/totalwar/...es_Historical/

We would like to hear how people have got on with fighting them, any improvements that they would like to suggest and if they have found out anything more about the historical battles files.

Also I was toying with the ideal of a similar guide for RTW, if anyone has information. Battles have been written for RTW but not a how to guide.
    Fiery death from above

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncrusader
    Also I was toying with the ideal of a similar guide for RTW, if anyone has information. Battles have been written for RTW but not a how to guide.
    Hi, Dragoncrusader! Long time no see!

The idea for the guide to RTW historical battles is a geat one. Good luck with it. Sorry I have stopped e-mailling a while back, but I never managed to get any more battles done. Did you get any more done or ever figure out that wretched sandstorm problem?

I have been busy as part of the Iberia Total War team translating the mod into English. We have done some historical battles but I did not make them, only translate the descriptions.

I shall ask the rest of the ITW team who was responsible for them and how they did them. If I have any findings I shall report back when I can. Nice to see you around again.

Hi
    Yes I have spent the last 9 months studying for my professional qualifications and this week I finally passed!
    Also with the winter nights drawing in, I will have a bit more time. About half way through the 1st Crusades major battles as a campaign but still no idea about the sandstorm.
    Had huge problems with getting the AI to work. Tried to do the battle of Ain Jalut and wanted two Mamluke forces to wait in hiding and then activate when the Mongols got to a certain point on the map. The AI had other ideas, it got all the forces in a heap on one side of the map and then attacked the Mongols even if they did not move! So this is the main area of study as you cannot make challenging battles if the AI just attacks at will.

The RTW is slightly different project as there is already a good how to guide provided with the ultility in v1.3. I was thinking more along the lines of how best to use it.

all the best
    Fiery death from above

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Long time no see Dragon!!!

Can you experiment some more AI in MTW?! MTW is excellent for modding.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

but still no idea about the sandstorm.
    It's just basically like snowstorm but in the desert, right? You might wanna try put that snow storm code in the file and pick a desert map. I haven't tried this myself; just a theory. Have you tried this before?

Hi!
    After many trials on creating historical battles for Middle Earth: Total War beta, i can assure you that it's not possible to create particular AI behavior for battles. AI is managed in the same way for every battle in the game, from campaign battle to custom ones, and it's impossible to force a particular strategy different from the pre-coded ones by CA.
    So, the only manner to recreate an historical battle is to place the troops in starting positions that fit with a particular AI behavior (automatically exploited by the game) that causes a chain of actions similar to the desired ones. How you can do this is really difficult to understand...

F.

Quote Originally Posted by Fader_it
    Hi!
    After many trials on creating historical battles for Middle Earth: Total War beta, i can assure you that it's not possible to create particular AI behavior for battles. AI is managed in the same way for every battle in the game, from campaign battle to custom ones, and it's impossible to force a particular strategy different from the pre-coded ones by CA.
    So, the only manner to recreate an historical battle is to place the troops in starting positions that fit with a particular AI behavior (automatically exploited by the game) that causes a chain of actions similar to the desired ones. How you can do this is really difficult to understand...

F.
    This is true, perhaps, for Rome Total War, but not for Medieval. There is a document called AI Scripting Instructions that sets out how to instruct the AI to fight in an historical battle.

There are a number of ways in which the AI can be told to act in Medieval, but you cannot, of course, add to or alter these inherently, only work with them. I presume the mod you are referring to is for RTW?

What are the exact sizes of small, medium and huge maps? Has anyone figured it out? I probably am too lazy to go through trial and error. I'm guessing some of you would know on top of your head by now.

I use the STWMapGrid as a guide but I think that's kinda different in MTW. I did try to put a unit in the middle but when I checked it wasn't in the middle.

-edit- It doesn't matter really whether we assign different coordinates or not. It's just cosmetic. The units just stack up lol. They spread out once we start the game. They do have to have coordinates though.
    Last edited by Weebeast; 01-22-2006 at 03:22.

Great!! I've maybe just joined this forum but I'd played Total War for years. And I'd sometimes also do Mods since last month...

Guide to make a Historical Battle is great!! I've wondered how to do it, finally.... this is it!!

Something also.. For Beginners who wants to.. Err... Umm... A bit Cheating, you can do it.
    Yeah like what was said, Control the AI by erasing the "GeneralRank" then type 0 in that place. Then, you can make your soldier's valour became 10 by doing the same thing to cheat the AI but then type 20.

Yep this is the thread I went to when I was into creating historical battles.

It's your historical battle. I won't call it cheating. :p If anything it makes the battles seem not so historical. Yeah it's really hard to achive the course of the battle as you desire as unit stats and army size add up to one historical battle.

Savaran Commander Member Hound of Ulster's Avatar

Is there any place where I can download historic battles for MedXL 3.0, PandM 1.5, Ancient 2.1, and Napoleon 7.1?
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Ar nDuctas' O'Dougherty clan motto

'In Peace, sons bury thier fathers; In War, fathers bury thier sons' Thucydides

'Forth Eorlingas!' motto of the Riders of Rohan

'dammit, In for a Penny, In for a Pound!' the Duke of Wellington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12