Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Research: what causes rebels to appear?

Default Re: Research: what causes rebels to appear?

i read most of the post fairly closely, but only skimmed some, so i hope i'm not just repeating information.

i got this information from a thread in the modding section where they were experimenting with map changes on what they ai would chose to do. they posted their observations on rebels, even though it wasn't the main point of the thread.

anyhow- the setting in descr_strat is inverse and does matter. that means the higher the number, the less frequently rebels will spawn. i think on 1.5 the initial setting is 10, so if you change it to 99 then you should get rebels very infrequently. please note there is a separate entry for pirates (the initial value is 28 (luckily i have a shortcut to descr_strat on my desktop, what a geek!))

it was noticed that fertile tiles in a province also matters, which explains why some areas get more rebels than others with everything else being equal.

rebels never spawned in a province that had existing rebels.

but as i said, testing about rebels wasn't the primary purpose of their tests, so they didn't really go into too much depth trying to get different results (like changing conditions to see if you could get more rebels to spawn where some already exist). the exception being that they changed the amount of fertile tiles and found that it did matter.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Research: what causes rebels to appear?

Quote Originally Posted by lottrbacchus
    it was noticed that fertile tiles in a province also matters, which explains why some areas get more rebels than others with everything else being equal.

rebels never spawned in a province that had existing rebels.
    That's interesting information. Can you provide a link to that thread? Incidentally, many of the threads in the Ludus Magna were started before the 1.3 patch, hence they are outdated (for example, the rebel settings weren't functional in 1.2, but they became so in 1.3 onward).
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

gah! i was afraid someone would ask for the link. this forum is so huge so i knew it would be a trick to find it. but i did.

now- make yourself a cup of tea or coffee or whatnot, cuz this is a looong discussion and the bits about rebels are secondary and so are only discussed here and there in the thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=63614

I have read this thread carefully and I have edited the descr_strat file. I changed both rebel spawn values to 99 in the middle of a campaign. This has had no noticable effect on the campaign. Do I need to start a new campaign to see the effect?

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose
    Im my campaign with the SPQR mod, i noticed that having two forts in every province seemed to stop them completely.

In fact, it seemed to have more effect then having more units in the city...

In my experience, rebels appear randomly even if the city has a high happiness rating. The only thing that stops them is forts...

As for the type of units, simply look at descr_rebel_factions.txt.

Setting the units to 'barb peasant slave' will make them nothing but peasants.
    I'm going to try this aswell. But with the 'chance' lines wouldn't making the chance 0 increase the numbers seeing as the higher the number the less chance of rebels appearing? Or is that only the case in the descr_strat file?

Lord of the elephants Member Hastrubal's Avatar

Hey guys, i have to tell you what i heard.
    If you make a camp, less rebels will spawn in the area.

I hope it will help with these pesky rebels

P.S. I had a campain where a uprise took over their final town/city it happend two times the numbians and the scipii.

Good luck with you total war;)
    Last edited by Hastrubal; 01-02-2014 at 12:06.

I haven't checked further back than this page because there's every chance settings have changed over the years.

Apart from having read it somewhere, experience suggests it's true: If a city's population is boosted via enslaves elsewhere, then there is a significantly higher risk of rebels. I find that rebels rarely (if at all) appear in long stable provinces. Plus I've read elsewhere that unrest increases the likelihood.
    Last edited by williamsiddell; 07-24-2014 at 15:03.

I know it's an old thread, but I want to continue on the fort line. Does the number of units in the fort make any difference? I have also had an army wipe out a rebel army, then two turns later another one was back in the same spot. Wiped them out, then saw another one near same place around three or four turns later. Wiped them out, no more problems. Of course, it could have been a rebel army moved from somewhere else, though the first two were identical.

What I do is hire Scythian Mercenaries (Bedouin Archers work too, but are slower, I think), and just send them around to wipe out rebels. I may or may not have a general, if I get one who is not much good I may use him there, and he gets better, but the general is optional. Something I am doing in the east, I had some armies of elephants who I was using to restock the ones in my main armies. My pace of advance is a bit slow at the moment in Turkey and Africa, so I decided to hit some rebels with them. They work very nicely, and better than the Bedouin Archers because the Bedouins are more vulnerable to return archer fire. Also, no worries in melee combat with War Ellies. I added a Militia Cav unit to run down routing enemies, keeping them away from the main fighting. The missiles of the War Ellies can dispatch of any hoplites the rebels have.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234