Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Morning, Iraq.

Default Re: Good Morning, Iraq.

But don't listen to Wrechard, he's just a former special operations officer...

Then he should know that if the "enemy" concentrates its forces hunting for you , then you bugger off somewhere else where he isn't looking.

Ah but you miss their point Prolerariat his views run counter to thier expectations - and he is an American therefor they will blindly ignore anything he has to say.

What you mean like this bit
    ...Yet the very same persons will vehemently reject the idea that Al Qaeda can also be spread thin...
    But his views don't take into consideration that it only takes 1 terrorist in a city anywhere in the world to blow up a train . So it don't matter how thin you spread them does it .

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Substantially "out" in time for the 2006 mid-term elections?

The United States and Britain are drawing up plans to withdraw the majority of their troops from Iraq by the middle of next year, according to a secret memo written for British Prime Minister Tony Blair by Defense Secretary John Reid.

The paper, which is marked "Secret -- UK Eyes Only," said "emerging U.S. plans assume that 14 out of 18 provinces could be handed over to Iraqi control by early 2006," allowing a reduction in overall U.S.-led forces in Iraq to 66,000 troops. The troop level is now at about 160,000, including 138,000 American troops, according to a military spokesman in Baghdad.

Reid on Sunday did not dispute the authenticity of the document, but said that no decision on troop levels had been made. In Washington, a Pentagon spokesman said officials there had not seen the document.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071000725.html

This article seems like both a "best case scenario" and an indication that "standing up" has come to mean solely an ability to fight insurgents, and not a remake of society.

I also see another fight between Rumsfeld and the commanders on the ground, in some ways necessitated by the over-extension of the Clinton-destroyed force numbers.

I also see the mid-terms as importantly driving the result. It is important that people see success at the mid-terms, but a permanent constitution and two successful elections in the fall and winter should be all the success they need. Alas, only a significant troop drawdown would probably work at that point.

I still think it's a woefully bad idea for this information to have been released. But, expecting the Western Press to do anything to further the goals of Bush and Blair is silly. The person who leaked the memo should be tried for treason.

Translation of a letter from the head of the Da'awa party that is required reading.

What is significant about this article and the Jaafari visit, is that this man represents the leadership of one of the main stream conservative religious parties in Iraq, the Da’awa party. To pronounce the words of thanks is a formal declaration of alliance and negation of the notion of Occupation and affirmation of the Liberation by one of the recognized leaders of the main current of the Shiaa movement in Iraq. You don’t thank an occupier, but you can thank a liberator. Also the donkeys that he is talking about are not in the extremist enemy camp, but some in the Shiaa camp. The hypocrites are the likes of the followers of Muqtada Al Sadr. The enemy is boiling with spite which explains the murder of one of Sistani's agents and the attack on a house of the Prime Minister today.

Politically, the U.S. has made an important conquest so far: That of the hearts and strategic alliance of both the majority of the Shiaa and certainly the Kurds; that accounts for at least 75% of the Iraqi people. And I am sure a sizable part of the Iraqi Sunnis can be won over eventually. The undercurrent of largely unspoken popular support and gratitude remains despite all the hardships, mistakes and even harshness in the relationship between the troops and the population due to the mistrust created by the terrorists. This is something that no amount of Media bias and enemy propaganda can shake off. This is the decisive factor, and this is what is going to prevail in the end of the day.
    http://messopotamian.blogspot.com/20...24233622314946

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Substantially "out" in time for the 2006 mid-term elections?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071000725.html

This article seems like both a "best case scenario" and an indication that "standing up" has come to mean solely an ability to fight insurgents, and not a remake of society.

I also see another fight between Rumsfeld and the commanders on the ground, in some ways necessitated by the over-extension of the Clinton-destroyed force numbers.

I also see the mid-terms as importantly driving the result. It is important that people see success at the mid-terms, but a permanent constitution and two successful elections in the fall and winter should be all the success they need. Alas, only a significant troop drawdown would probably work at that point.

I still think it's a woefully bad idea for this information to have been released. But, expecting the Western Press to do anything to further the goals of Bush and Blair is silly. The person who leaked the memo should be tried for treason.
    This is the best news for long time. HJope they can execute their plan

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Dont say execute
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Sorry!
    What is wrong with that?

Cube,
    why don't you just open a 'Bad morning, Iraq' thread? I agree that both sides of the medal should be reported. And I guess Prol just started this thread to give the good news a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    I'm notoriously bad at commitment. I'd make such a thread and forget about it. That said, we get all the bad news from CNN every day anyway, I'm just wary of the motives behind this thread.
    I am sure that Prol did not want to start propaganda. As you said there is enough space for bad news on TV. She just wanted to show that there are good news as well. And man, we need some good news these days!
    Last edited by Franconicus; 07-12-2005 at 08:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    I oppose this thread on the grounds that it is clearly made with the inention of trying to soften the bad news that comes from Iraq, most of which makes the "Good" news pale in comparison. Tell both sides of the story if you're going to tell it all.
    That's all ya got? Bad news not getting enough play, for you?

Edit: Thanks, Franc.

I oppose this thread on the grounds that it is clearly made with the inention of trying to soften the bad news that comes from Iraq, most of which makes the "Good" news pale in comparison. Tell both sides of the story if you're going to tell it all.
    You have got to be kidding. All we ever hear is bad news. Its nice to hear the OTHER side of the story for once. I know many servicemen who have returned from Iraq and they tell a very different story from what you see on TV and read in the papers.

The recent statements and arrest of Zarqawi's mentor, Isam Mohammad Taher al-Barqawi (a.k.a Sheik Abu-Mohammed al-Maqdisi) exposes dissention in the ranks of al Qaeda's leadership. Just prior to Barqawi's internment, he conducted an interview for al Jazeera, ostensibly to criticize his protégé Zarqawi, but in actuality to communicate the need to reorganize and rethink the methods being used to fight the infidel.

Walid Phares explains the context of Barqawi's interview, as well as some very real problems with al Qaeda's strategic operations.

Al Maqdisi [Barqawi] wasn't primarily convincing al Zarqawi to limit,
    reduce or stop suicide operations. He was - through al Jazeera -
    trying to inform others around the Arabic speaking world about the
    ultimate goal of suicide attacks.
    http://www.windsofchange.net/

Last days there has been almost no news from Iraq in German media. Is this good news? Or did the media loose interest? What do you hear in the US?

GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    Last days there has been almost no news from Iraq in German media.
    There is a story about the situation in Iraq in this week's Der Spiegel which is also available in the online version
    Die Saat des Bösen

I have to admit that I did not have the time yet to read it though...

It is bad news. They write that Iraq is at the edge of a civil war. But it is not really new news.

Good News , no really , the 12 remaining Sunni representatives responsible for draughting the new constitution have ended their boycott though one of their demands is an independant international inquiry into their colleuges murders . So just maybe they can reach the deadline next month .
    If they stop arguing about what to call the "new Iraq" ...any preferences out there ? can we have a poll ? which do you favour ...the Islamic Republic , The Arab Republic or the Federal Republic .

And Talibani is now worried that they are going to reopen the whole debate about the role of Sharia Law in the new constitution, in his words , if they reopen that door they will not make any progress .

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    It is bad news. They write that Iraq is at the edge of a civil war. But it is not really new news.
    I read it now. You are right - a rather bleak picture, but not really "news" in the literal sense.

All you people who go on about how the war is wrong and bush is a Criminal (and all that other propaganda)

what do you want us todo , leave and let the new Iraqi democracy alone, and let the terrorist win???
    Formerly ceasar010

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Good Morning, Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    All you people who go on about how the war is wrong and bush is a Criminal (and all that other propaganda)

what do you want us todo , leave and let the new Iraqi democracy alone, and let the terrorist win???

there isn´t any "good" choice anymore......

the terrorists won this one the moment bush gave the order for invasion.

almost the entire world said this was a bad idea....don´t turn around and ask for a solution for this now...there is no solution....the only question is how long this will be dragged out for.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Then all the lefties need to quit their complaining or they will really hurt the troops morale.
    Formerly ceasar010

Sorry?
    Best news for me would be that the fighting in Iraq is over today, that Iraq is a free and safe country and that we can start fighting Bin Ladn.
    Is there anything wrong with that?

Then all the lefties need to quit their complaining or they will really hurt the troops morale.
    You know what is the worst thing for the morale. Fighting the wrong war with the wrong leaders.
    But this was supposed to be a 'good news thread'.

You all need to see a documentary called gunner palace. It shows the good and the bad. While I was watching I couldn’t see any bias for either side.

A reporter of some sort follows the soldiers around for a couple months. It shows every thing from discovering weapon cashes and handing food to hungry children. To the soldiers being spit on and having rocks thrown at them by some of the Angry iraqis. It even shows what the soldiers do in their free time.

All of the Iraqis don’t hate our troops.
    Last edited by scooter_the_shooter; 07-25-2005 at 16:01. Reason: grammar
    Formerly ceasar010

I did not even see this thread. Not sure how I missed it though...

Thank you JAG for reviving it. But I must say, it is sad when you enjoy people dying.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's not that he enjoys people dying (I think). Its just that smug sense of satisfaction he gets when things go badly for Blair or Bush, unhampered by the fact that good people are dying.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

No, it is the sheer sadness that people over there are dying for a war which everyone who opposed it, stated would turn out this way. Depressed in the knowledge that everyday we are there more innocents die and the terrorism situation gets worse for them and us.

Quite amazing that you believe I like the thought of Iraqis dying, when it is by your principles and backing that they are dying, if you heeded those who opposed the wars advice, thousands upon thousands of innocent Iraqis would be alive and terrorism would not be emboldened.

I also think I am one of the most consistent advocates of not killing people, thank you very much. Remember the 'enjoying killing people' crap when you try and enlarge your penis' in the gun threads.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

I also think I am one of the most consistent advocates of not killing people,
    But you seem to think its much worse to die fighting for freedom than because you said something bad about your fearless leader. Or at best your attitude is dead is dead . It doesnt matter how . That is unless we did the killing. Then its bad no matter what.

Jag saddam killed more iraqis then the WHOLE coalition combined. SO where are you getting this from.
    Formerly ceasar010

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    No, it is the sheer sadness that people over there are dying for a war which everyone who opposed it, stated would turn out this way. Depressed in the knowledge that everyday we are there more innocents die and the terrorism situation gets worse for them and us.

Quite amazing that you believe I like the thought of Iraqis dying, when it is by your principles and backing that they are dying, if you heeded those who opposed the wars advice, thousands upon thousands of innocent Iraqis would be alive and terrorism would not be emboldened.

I also think I am one of the most consistent advocates of not killing people, thank you very much. Remember the 'enjoying killing people' crap when you try and enlarge your penis' in the gun threads.
    Any chance I could get a taste of whatever it was that gave you the wonderful gift of foresight? And remember, had I heeded the advice of those who opposed the war, we would be giving more money into the ‘Oil for Food Program’ that Saddam (and Koffi?) loved to death, and trying to beg and plead with Saddam (and Gaddafi Duck mind you) about playing nice.

But of course, the what, 60,000 dead children per year would have happened? Let me see now, even if your hardly unbiased group claims 25,000, last time I checked 120,000+ is more than 25,000.

Terrorism was emboldened by our actions huh…seems to me it is still about the same. I wonder (if you could enlighten me you Grace of course) if you could tell me how many attacks would have occurred without the invasion of Iraq. Zero? Maybe. 10? Possibly. But can you be sure?

I am just curious your Grace, if you would also be kind enough to inform all us ignorant conservatives what your plan on how to deal with Saddam was. Since you abhor innocent deaths, than certainly you had to have something in the works to relieve the poor oppressed Iraqis of the tyranny. Especially on the magnitude people who died under him.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast