Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Campaign Map from a small part

Default Re: Campaign Map from a small part

Hey, im making a campaign thats focusing on the east (parthia up to armenia, down to numidia next to egypt, and finishes at Greece, ive followed all your instruction but i keep getting the same error message "Could not create settlement at line...". Furthermore, i dont get a corrected regions file. I have no idea what to do, the region is the Nile Delta, and its in both Regions and Regions and settlement lookup.

Thanks
    .:: Praetor Julius ::.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

have a look at the examples in second post here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=85902

see which of them fits your problem.

"Regions and settlement lookup" in the campaign folder isn't used, but you do need to change the one in data/text/campaign_name_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

ahh right, thanks

Unhappy Re: Campaign Map from a small part

Darn, i cant seem to get it to work, could somebody look over my files and tell me whats wrong?

Click here to DL

I think it might be ports and not settlements messing it up - they will be a problem anyway, even going by your map_regions you seem to have some inland ports! Plus whatever ones will turn out to be in wrong place when it makes corrected_regions.

I'd recommend remove all ports both from descr_strat and all white pixels on regions. When you get corrected_regions you should use that to replace map_regions.tga and then place ports again (they must have one side of pixel at least touching sea, not just corner, and definitely not inland )

You've got two odd pixels at north of map that belong to regions at south of map, that doesn't matter too much but they are also touching port pixels, which will mean it won't know which region port is meant to be in.

You sent a map.rwm that is older than the map_regions file, are you remembering to delete the rwm each time you make a change?

If you are getting a map.rwm generated you must be getting a corrected_regions.tga, did you realise the corrected_regions.tga appears in the Rome - Total War folder not the campaign folder?
    Download the:

Il check the ports but im sure that im not getting a corrected regions.tga file. Ive checked in the Root Rome Directory and ive searched the Rome files for it. Actualy, that rwm was there from awhile ago.

@Praetor Julius
    I'll check the map tomorrow, and will try to make it working, is it for RTW 1.5?

Can someone post a link to where I can get Photoshop and Imageready please.

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

You have to purchase photoshop and imageready no longer exists in current releases of creative suite, creative suite/photoshop is not free for download. If you want a free image editing software, search for Gimp.
    Last edited by Squid; 02-27-2008 at 18:12.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Gutted. I don't really want to buy but I'm a bit of a novice and a lot of the tools are different in Gimp and Paint Shop and I don't understand what the Imageready is. Thanks though.

Right I'm trying to cut down the map for M2TW but the map sizes are different. I'm cutting down the map_regions from (294,189) to (261,189) and I want to do the same to radar_map1 but it isn't the same size as map_regions. It's (249,124). How much do I cut it down by?

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Basil
    Right I'm trying to cut down the map for M2TW but the map sizes are different. I'm cutting down the map_regions from (294,189) to (261,189) and I want to do the same to radar_map1 but it isn't the same size as map_regions. It's (249,124). How much do I cut it down by?
    M2TW does not work in the same way.
    I had also problems with radar maps, so just try. I would try with the proportional lengths, and perhaps you will have to resize radar map to fit with the original size, even if it is screwed.

Hi guys very new to this I'm trying to produce as the instructions here but keep getting an error message.

"Generic Error Regions_DB;;default faction for region (5) isnt present in the descr_strat.txt file"

I know I must have done something wrong but cant work it out.

Can any one help please

answered in other thread - please don't put same question in more than one place
    Download the:

Post Re: Campaign Map from a small part

[QUOTE=Monkwarrior]CUTTING THE MAPS

CHAPTER 1. CUTTING THE EAST

Process 1. Open map_regions with both Photoshop and ImageReady.
    Take slice tool in the tool menu of Photoshop (Figure 1).

I try to open map_regions but than this comes with my adobe photoshop CS3 Extended ' Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file'

Thanx

That question is not nessecary anymore

ImageReady where can I find that?

If memory servers, ImageReady no longer exists in Adobe CS3, all functionality was bundled into Photoshop.

Oke, but where in photoshop?

clicking on 'file'?

I search now!

You don't actually need the splice tool, any selection tool will work. Select the portion of the map you want, and copy it into a new file and continue from there.

CUTTING THE MAPS

CHAPTER 1. CUTTING THE EAST

Process 2. Repeat the steps of process 1 with the files disasters, map_features, map_trade_routes and radar_map1.

Process 3. Repeat the steps of process 1 with map_roughness and radar_map2, but giving to the slice total height (312 pixels) and 420 pixels width.

Process 4. Repeat the steps of process 1 with map_climates, map_heights and map_ground_types, giving to the slice the total height (313 pixels) and 421 pixels width.

Process 5. Repeat the steps of process 1 with water_surface.
    The slice size must be proportional to the cut in map_regions: width 256*210/255 = 210.
    Once the new map has 210x256 size, it is necessary to resize it to 256x256.
    In the menu Image of Photoshop, Image size (Figure 4).

*process 2 is done and are all the same:

x -> 34
    y -> 22
    w -> 60
    h -> 53

Still to do map_trade_routes, but that's not my question!

My question sounds like... with process 3, they are bigger pixels, do I still have to crop the surrounding regions from those maps from France, or do I don't have to make same maps?

for example map_roughness if I make it to:

x -> 34
    y -> 22
    w -> 60
    h -> 53

It will be like this:

And that's not the direction it suposed to be.
    What do I have to do, to make it right?

if your map_regions size is w60 x h53
    then your map_roughness needs to end up w120 x h106
    your map_heights, _ground_types, and _climates need to be w121 x h107

if you haven't re-sized (stretched) the bit of map_regions you cut out then you shouldn't re-size the other ones either - just crop or copy out the relevant bit.

if your start location in map regions was x -> 34 y -> 22
    then start location on the other maps would be about x -> 68 y -> 44
    but the odd pixel in map_heights etc will make that not quite work....
    (you're probably going to have to do a bit of manual tweaking with this at the end to get everything lined up again)

for map features you'll have to adjust your rivers to make sure where they got cut off they all still have source (white pixel) on each of them - the one on left hand bottom edge looks like it got split.
    Download the:

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    if your map_regions size is w60 x h53
    then your map_roughness needs to end up w120 x h106
    your map_heights, _ground_types, and _climates need to be w121 x h107

if you haven't re-sized (stretched) the bit of map_regions you cut out then you shouldn't re-size the other ones either - just crop or copy out the relevant bit.

if your start location in map regions was x -> 34 y -> 22
    then start location on the other maps would be about x -> 68 y -> 44
    but the odd pixel in map_heights etc will make that not quite work....
    (you're probably going to have to do a bit of manual tweaking with this at the end to get everything lined up again)

for map features you'll have to adjust your rivers to make sure where they got cut off they all still have source (white pixel) on each of them - the one on left hand bottom edge looks like it got split.
    so for map_heights, Process 4 =

x -> not 68 but 69
    y -> not 44 but 45

But when I try to save map_ground_types, this comes:

Could not save as ''C:\...\map_ground_types.tga''
    because of a disk error.

What do I have to do now to save it? try again maybe

* And I don't understand how to do with the map features like you are talking about the rivers, can you give me some pictures made?

Thanx

water_surface I don't understand how to do?

because first I have to do 256*256 but what are =

x? y? w? h?

And do I have to resize all tga maps to nearest neighbor option?

Process 6. It is advisable to cut also one map_factionname at the same time.
    These maps have 384x237 size. My advice is to cut one with the zone to be enlarged completely empty. For this zone I chose map_britons.
    Repeat the steps of process 1, with the slice width proportional: 384*210/255 = 316.
    With all these operations you have a full set of functional map files.

My map would be only france with other factions who doesn't appear in rtw, but yes in BI and also some factions to be created

so.. what do I have to do with te britons if they aren't appearing on my map?
    Last edited by Makanyane; 05-18-2008 at 13:56. Reason: quadruple post

Hi, I've merged your posts - assume you're having problem with lack of edit button - you should get that facility when you get promoted from Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis I
    so for map_heights, Process 4 =

x -> not 68 but 69
    y -> not 44 but 45

But when I try to save map_ground_types, this comes:

Could not save as ''C:\...\map_ground_types.tga''
    because of a disk error.

What do I have to do now to save it? try again maybe
    have a look at the file's properties and make sure it isn't set to 'read only' - if if is unselect that box. Have you managed to save the other files you changed OK?

* And I don't understand how to do with the map features like you are talking about the rivers, can you give me some pictures made?
    You'll need to redraw any affected bits see http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Map_features.tga for how river must work.

You don't need any content in that file to get the map to load - easiest thing for now is paint it all black RGB 0,0,0 and worry about it later. Make sure the tga size is same size in pixels as your map_regions though.

water_surface I don't understand how to do?

because first I have to do 256*256 but what are =

x? y? w? h?
    you can actually ignore it for now and use the old one - it only affects the colour of the sea....

And do I have to resize all tga maps to nearest neighbor option?
    if you have to resize them then yes use nearest neighbor - as its the option that doesn't merge colours.

If you are only cutting a piece out of the map don't re-size just use crop.
    Even if you want to make your piece of map bigger it would be best anyway to get the map working with just the cut out pieces of map before you start re-sizing things.

Process 6. It is advisable to cut also one map_factionname at the same time.
    These maps have 384x237 size. My advice is to cut one with the zone to be enlarged completely empty. For this zone I chose map_britons.
    Repeat the steps of process 1, with the slice width proportional: 384*210/255 = 316.
    With all these operations you have a full set of functional map files.

My map would be only france with other factions who doesn't appear in rtw, but yes in BI and also some factions to be created

so.. what do I have to do with te britons if they aren't appearing on my map?
    don't worry about map_factionname at the moment either, they are just bits that display in the interface they don't make up part of the functioning map so you can leave old ones in for now

NOTE: keep to using the faction names that are in your data/descr_sm_factions.txt for any factions you're putting in descr_strat.txt
    you can't mix BI and RTW faction names without changing a lot of other files.... (its easier to just make the RTW faction look like the BI one)
    Download the:

Sorry for the staggering necro-post, but I've been following this tutorial and need some assistance.

I'm resizing the map and have done most of the steps, however whenever I try to start a campaign it goes back to the menu. Show_err says something about the map_heights.tga having to be 261x139 dimensions, however that is already the size of the image in question, so I don't know why such an error is arising. Does anyone have an idea?

In a TOP SECRET location (Which the Government does not know of...) planning my world domination! (Which again the Government does not know of...)

Hi! I apparently don't have a file called "map_regions" & the campaign still works. Why don't I have map_regions & where else might it be located? I have it in all my other TW games but this one & BI...
    NOTE* I have RTW: GOLD
    BLACKWOLF

It will either be in the base folder or the campaign folder.

In a TOP SECRET location (Which the Government does not know of...) planning my world domination! (Which again the Government does not know of...)

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    It will either be in the base folder or the campaign folder.
    Thanks squid! Again! haha
    I found it in my base folder & will get working on it right now! =)
    BLACKWOLF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12