Thread: Is Ancient History still relevant today?

Angry Is Ancient History still relevant today?

I think so. That's why I made Homer Reborn. And that's why I am inviting everyone here to come check it out.

Our focus is purely on the Classical World and why we should still study it today. Some other posts include:

Admiration Unburied, which compares Abraham Lincoln to Servius Tullius.

Soft Around the Edges, which relates the story of the Ionian revolt against Persia.

We even have a guest article (and are looking for guest writers!):

Republican Generals, which compares Publius Scipio Africanus to George Washington.

I formally invite everyone to drop on by and help support the cause-we need the world to know that the Classics are still alive and relevant today!

Vale
    Be sure to check out Homer Reborn: Where the Classics are Reborn.

Default Re: Is Ancient History still relevant today?

HomerReborn, welcome to the Org.

That is quite an interesting idea you have going there at the Homer Reborn website. I gather it just started a couple of weeks ago? Where do you want go with the site? By that I mean, what do you envision happening with the site in the weeks and months to come? What kinds of features and content are you striving for? How does one participate in your endevour or is it read-only at the moment?
    This space intentionally left blank

Default Re: Is Ancient History still relevant today?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    HomerReborn, welcome to the Org.

That is quite an interesting idea you have going there at the Homer Reborn website.
    Thanks!

I have been here for quite some time (since MTW actually)...but I have no idea how to mod. So, I just read and take on the wealth of information this forum has to offer.

I gather it just started a couple of weeks ago?
    It came online a few weeks ago, but was in the works for quite some time.

Where do you want go with the site? By that I mean, what do you envision happening with the site in the weeks and months to come?
    Weeks and months is too short! I plan on this being a lifetime project. I am a University student majoring in Classics, and hope to one day get my phd in Classics and teach. This project will go along with me the entire way-it will be my tool for taking what I have learned to love in the Classical world and transfering it to the world today.

When I read the works of the Founding Fathers and see how important the Classics were to them-how they could recite the speeches of Cicero, discuss the virtues of Seneca, etc.-and compare it with today's world, I am shocked. Hardly anyone knows who Cato is-and yet it was Cato that the Founding Fathers based themselves upon!

That's why I want "Homer", the greatest symbol of the Classical World, to be "Reborn". The modern world needs it.

What kinds of features and content are you striving for?
    I already have my basic articles, which usually examines something from the Classical World and shows how we can learn from that today. I also just recently started my "Life's Lessons", which takes a single fable from Aesop and discusses it (I find Aesop very practical, and also wanted to draw in the community more). My first guest article was published yesterday, which shifts the focus more towards Military. My friend over at The Inner Temple (another division of the Homer Reborn network) tends to focus more on philosophy-he has been writing about Epictetus and Seneca so far.

Soon, I will begin a translating service. I will start translating small gems of the Classical World straight from the source, and present it for discussion. I am doing this because I don't like many translations out today (I think they are too post-modern, or critical of the Classical World).

I am always searching for more guest and full-time writers. Anybody who can answer these two questions:

1.) Why should I learn about the Classics?

and

2.) How are the Classics Relevant today?

then I am looking for them.

How does one participate in your endevour or is it read-only at the moment?
    I am always looking for comments-commenting on different articles helps to spread interest and ideas, as well as helping the community at large discover new ideas. I would love to spread the Homer Reborn network to a chat/forum base as well, but alas have no skills in PHP.

So right now, it is limited to comments on current articles-unless you would like to contribute. If you do, just contact me at HomerReborn@Gmail.com and we can discuss adding articles of your own.

Thanks for the interest!
    Be sure to check out Homer Reborn: Where the Classics are Reborn.