Thread: Jail Break

Default Jail Break

Get a load of this, in Oregon they are considering letting out around 125 convicted criminals because there staff is overworked and has to spread 60 shifts over around 40 people. The sheriff appeared on TV saying that "sometimes people were just told "I'm sorry you can't leave yet, we need you to stay here"" and were not even paid for there time. Now I can understand this, if it wern't for two things: 1. Oregon has over 5% unemployment, and that means there are a lot of people on the streets that NEED jobs like this where not a lot of training is needed, and pays good. 2. The decision for release was based on the fact that they are underfunded, now while this is going on, they decide to LOWER the budget for the jails, leaving less money for jail cells to be opened, and then our local governor {Ted kolongousky I believe it is spelled} decides that this is the PERFECT time to take a trip to Hawii on the taxpayers money in order to meet with other OREGON state officials.

Now what kind of a message does that send to the people of Oregon? that is totaly bull in my mind. Don't think posting it will do any good, just letting everyone know how screwed up things can get in my neck of the woods. Tell me what you think about the situation in Oregon.

EDIT:

to quote a little more reading material, here is a koin6 news report.

http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_...5Bnews%5D=2541
    Last edited by |OCS|Virus; 07-15-2005 at 22:28.

Default Re: Jail Break

sad, what can I say. But honestly, isn't it like that everywhere ? Power corrupts, etc, etc. Government, bureaucracy, inefficiency, corruption... same ol', same ol'...
    The best we can get is somewhat-intelligent somewhat-caring with-a-bit-of-conscience-and-morality people that leave their mark in a good way as well...
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

sad, sad, sad,

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Texas did something similar a decade or so ago. They were just smarter about it. They did it by eliminating incarceration for many "non-violent" offenses.

This is one reason I advocate the approach of X number of beds per Y population...accompanied with an automatic execution of those with the most total prison time whenever the cap is reached and more beds are needed. It's sort of a a merit based system. No, I'm not kidding.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

We need to be smarter about things, just have a list of mandatory punishments for certain offences. Then staff the bloody prisons, and lets not have our governor go out of state to Hawii and waste I believe the total was 10,000 dollars, even though it isn't a whole lot of money, it sais something about a guy when he has the nerve to do that. Gotta find out when elections are, hopefully this guy wont run again, although I'm sure he will. There must be a real answere out there somewere to this insanity.

Just tag prisoners and say "if you earn over $xxxxx a year then you are free to go with a staggeringly large tax burdin, if not it's prison!"

Yay, and to think if you have a 'fair tax system' even more prisons will face this problem!

Gogogogo!!!!!!

All criminals on the street! Go 'fair' tax system go!
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

feed them less food put more people in a cell etc

And they will remeber how much hell prison was and not go reoffend
    Formerly ceasar010

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    feed them less food put more people in a cell etc

And they will remeber how much hell prison was and not go reoffend
    To think that has worked in the past and created such a good society!

The problem with your prisons system, like all your public institutions, is that you are so selfish you don't want to give your money away in the form of tax, even when you support the places the tax money would be spent. You cannot have it both ways, as you find out time and again. The richest country in the world - by far - having these forms of problems with their prison systems? My, my, doesn't show Iraq a good example does it? Ah, yes, I forget, you already did that with Abu Gurab and Gitmo.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

I listed ways to cut down on the budget so not near as much money has to go there.

prisons used to be self sufficient The prisoners would farm and even build the prison it was very cheap and low cost back then.
    Formerly ceasar010

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

JAG, our prisons are so nice that people will kill to go their. Literally. They'll kill somebody they know just so they can go to prison.

And wanting to keep your own money is not selfish. The government wanting to take it for every pea-brained idea they come up with is.

Oh- how clever of you to tie in Abu Gharib! I'm sure what caused Abu Gharib was an underfunded budget.

Virus- Just be glad you don't have Gregoire. She says she's not going to raise the gax tax, the does so one month after being sworn in, cuts services and gives more money to idiots like the council for women's oppurtunities or something like that.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Why release? A bullet costs what, 30 cents?

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

9mm bullets cost a dime a piece on average
    Formerly ceasar010

Ah but I perfer a good old 7.67mm Soviet Round.

Why do you hate Freedom?

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Kaiser they used 7.62mm bullets from the Mosin Nagant and on for their rifles, marksman/sniper weapons, machine guns and automatic rifles, although they have now switched to 5.45mm with a hollow point for the AK-74. Just FYI.

People should be willing to pay enough for the prisons, or ready to deal with having the convicts out and about.

The prisons did not need/use all of the expensive equipment that they use today so they could be self-sufficient. The prisoners cannot make all of the electronics, riot subdual devices (tear gas launchers, tear gas dispersal units in high traffic areas such as mess halls) and all of those expensive and often vital pieces of equipment. Keeping convicts in prison has gotten more expensive so we will have to pay more, nothing can be done about that.
    Last edited by Uesugi Kenshin; 07-16-2005 at 19:03.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Prisoners could get by with out eletric before why not now. Only hook a small guard house up to eletricity
    Formerly ceasar010

Those are 2 different 7.62 you speak of the mosin uses 7.62x54 the ak47 used 7.62x39.

see

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976480982.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976444995.htm
    Formerly ceasar010

Ah forgive me, typo. Yes I meant 7.62x39

Why do you hate Freedom?

Actually I looked at a site all about the round and though you are right on that one there were also many other versions. There are tracers, incendiaries, armor piercing incendieries, Czech specific rounds, special explosive machinegun only rounds and so on. But all of those other ones are now obsolete.

I really should have remembered the AK-47 had a "short" cartridge...
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    Actually I looked at a site all about the round and though you are right on that one there were also many other versions. There are tracers, incendiaries, armor piercing incendieries, Czech specific rounds, special explosive machinegun only rounds and so on. But all of those other ones are now obsolete.
    The 7.62X54R was considered obsolete a century ago, but it's still in use.
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

JAG, our prisons are so nice that people will kill to go their. Literally. They'll kill somebody they know just so they can go to prison.
    *Instantly wonders how many prisoners you have actually talked to in detail*

Spetulhu I was talking about the incendiary and all other non-tracer variants of the bullets. Those were discarded very quickly.

JAG people are crazy, there could be a person crazy enough to do that.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I've posted this before, but here it is again. I'd like to see prisons such as this be less of an exception and more of a rule. I also heard recently that they now have an accredited High School in the prison now for prisoners that want to use it- if true, that's really a model for prisons in my mind.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Well lets get this back on prisons not bullets

Prisons need to be harsher no luxuries...... at all no tv, no air condition, no phone calls after the first one, no visiting, any one who causes trouble gets whacked with a cattle prod a few times.etc etc

Now I don't want this for the guys that cant pay their parking tickets. keep it as is for them and other very minor offences.

I want the rapist, drug dealers, car jackers, killers etc to have the hell like prison.

And for the Oregon prison just cut down on luxuries and use the money to build on. or just cut the luxuries and throw more in a cell
    Formerly ceasar010

Get 2 rusty hooks. Insert hooks through felons nipples. Hang felons for sentence by nipples. If nipples rip off, sew them back on and repeat.

Why do you hate Freedom?

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kaiser, that is disgusting.

@JAG

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

they should give one ounce of water a day a piece of bread and no medical treatment because of that
    Formerly ceasar010

Perhaps prison should be unpleasant but with the opportunity to learn a trade or some other way of making money.

Then it's a) a deterrent and b) people can earn money, having no reason to reoffend.

As opposed to being fairly pleasant and also no teaching you anything, which just doesn't help at all.

Also, once out, you have done your punishment, and should be treated the same as anyone else (except paedophiles, repeat offenders etc).

bdc they shouldn't be treated the same

do you want a murderer as your phycologist or a burglar working at the cash register at your business
    Formerly ceasar010

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    To think that has worked in the past and created such a good society!

The problem with your prisons system, like all your public institutions, is that you are so selfish you don't want to give your money away in the form of tax, even when you support the places the tax money would be spent. You cannot have it both ways, as you find out time and again. The richest country in the world - by far - having these forms of problems with their prison systems? My, my, doesn't show Iraq a good example does it? Ah, yes, I forget, you already did that with Abu Gurab and Gitmo.
    No, JAG that isn't the problem, the problem I don't mind having higher taxes if I think that we 1.need them, 2.Will be used correctly

I don't think we need higher taxes and here is why: We in Oregon have a multi-billion dollar budget, and for prisons and jail we spend about 8 million dollars on them. This is a much smaller number than is needed to make ends meet in prisons. I believe although I have no information at hand to prove it Oregon runs on about 2.1 billion dollars a year. So where is all the money going? I'll tell you, it is going to all the government programs, which are getting abused by illegal aliens and people who are to damn lazy to get a job of there own.

And I say this because I know, I've seen it for myself, if you lived here, you would see it plastered all over the news about meth users and how they live in large is off of the american tax payers, because they can get free housing, free food, and free utilities all paid for while they are sitting at home smoking pot and using meth.

So you see it really has nothing to do with "we don't wanna pay taxes" even though we enjoy a very lax tax system, because we keep voting down sales taxes. Which in my opinion are a bad thing for Oregon to have right now. And I also think that was a really bad remark concerning Iraq JAG, usualy your posts are a little deeper than that.