Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Those That Play As Romans

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Default For Those That Play As Romans

Don't follow the bad men into the forest! And...
    don't put all your eggs into one basket!

OUCH
    Last edited by cmacq; 11-18-2007 at 00:43.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

Default Re: For Those That Play As Romans

I've never thought about it before, but is Red Riding Hood all about Varus?

Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

I use spies a lot, but form now on will make much more extensive use of spies! It was worse than Custer....
    Last edited by cmacq; 11-18-2007 at 00:59.

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cmacq
    Don't follow the bad men into the forest! And...
    don't put all your eggs into one basket!

OUCH
    Just of curiosity: which forest (= in which province) & what faction played Varrus & Arminius with you?

T.
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

You want details?

If it's about 250 BC in your campaign, basically everything to the North of the Alps towards the Baltic is very unsafe. It got some nice hidden 'features'...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    That's an underestimation, I'd guess ...
    better:

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    basically everything to the North of the Alps towards the Baltic is very unsafe
    ... and I who thought this was common knowledge among us players.

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    That's an underestimation, I'd guess ...
    better:

... and I who thought this was common knowledge among us players.

If you want to know what hurts: ask the AI... I believe Diazelmis & Sautes are about to bury yet another two core legions of the Romani under the piles of skulls of previous Roman legions...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

For Those That Play As Romans
    People play as Romans?!

Well, its their life I suppose.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Well I figure not all people simply stick with smashing Romans...
    - Tellos Athenaios

I may have found one! I had sent a spy ahead and it seemed only a small army was holding the town with another small army nearby. But apparently....

there was a much larger army hiding somewhere close by. I organize my up-armed Roman armies with about 1/3 missile troops, lots of light infantry, with some medium-heavy infantry and horse. Like an early Roman army. Works very good in open country. Not so much in the woods.

This time I had sent a column ahead with most of the infantry, and a second column with most of the missile troops in trail. Trying to start the seige before winter. I lay seige to the town with the first column, not really concerned about a counter attack, as the second collum would have arrived the next turn. Well apparently....

all three of the enemy armies counter-attacked and forced my first army into the second, that at the time was moving through a very dense forest.

I was overpowered...
    wwwwaaaaan

It was like Aliens....
    it was a massacre!

some got away, but not many...

We should all hear more stories of mega-defeat, no?
    Last edited by cmacq; 11-18-2007 at 02:26.

The day I go to Pannonia with Epiros, I'll gather all my veterans, recruit a lot more slingers (& whatever else might be needed, but I'm now forgetting to mention) and then I will enter. Two, better three (= four for savety) full stacks of armies, crossing the border (just a bit) and then waiting for the attack. Either I win (even if a Phyrric, lol) or I'll wait and see what the future brings ...

Yours,
    Treverer

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

I must agree with Pharnakes. Romans Bah. Carthage & Makedon forever!!!
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Meh those Mak generals are too drunk to reach their cities in time... So the Epeirotai kinda took out two of 5 Mak settlements that way. And it's waiting till Epeiros eradicates them from the mainland altgother by conquering Thermon. Then it's waiting for the KH to finish Chalkis off.

I mean. C'mon you got your elite barrack up and running, you keep pumping out Hypaspistai, Argyraspides, Pheraspides and Agrianikoi... And then you let the Illyrioi Paraktioi walk into your city, basically?!
    - Tellos Athenaios

What a choice. do I choose the drunken Macedonians who eventually died honourably to roman swords? Or do I choose the manic depressive, bipolar, low self esteemed, king of epirus who was killed by an old women with a roofing tile ? oh what a choice
    Last edited by Wolfman; 11-18-2007 at 02:35.

Ehh... you people are weird. My Camillans and Polybians drove the Germans out of their western lands, beat them at their own forest games, and even ambushed a coupla halfstacks. Then came the Marians, which the German Kirslininkas gave hell to for awhile, but then I finally broke them on the borders of Sarmatia. No sweat, man! o.O

Nah, I covered the entire German territory with something like 15 spies who roved around triggering ambushes before any of my three fullstacks could march into them.

And further, I never, never divided my troops. The main army in enemy territory always remained as a fullstack. :D

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman
    What a choice. do I choose the drunken Macedonians who eventually died honourably to roman swords? Or do I choose the manic depressive, bipolar, low self esteemed, king of epirus who was killed by an old women with a roofing tile ? oh what a choice
    Oh I didn't choose Epeiros... And besides if there's some 'honourable death to be died' it will be the Romans'...
    - Tellos Athenaios

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    Ehh... you people are weird. My Camillans and Polybians drove the Germans out of their western lands, beat them at their own forest games, and even ambushed a coupla halfstacks. Then came the Marians, which the German Kirslininkas gave hell to for awhile, but then I finally broke them on the borders of Sarmatia. No sweat, man! o.O

Nah, I covered the entire German territory with something like 15 spies who roved around triggering ambushes before any of my three fullstacks could march into them.

And further, I never, never divided my troops. The main army in enemy territory always remained as a fullstack. :D
    Have u taken on the BOI Eleutheroi (sp) yet?????

....just a hint... they got a full stack, with GOLD Chevrons

heh...that's why I play Pahlava... Yauna

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinusCDXX
    heh...that's why I play Pahlava... Yauna
    Its good to meet a Fellow Pahlavian fan! I hate romansand would love running them over with Cataphracts but i never seem to be able to progress far in a campaign with them.
    Last edited by Wolfman; 11-18-2007 at 06:40.

AtB slave trader Member Malik of Sindh's Avatar

Everyone loves Pahlava and their cataprachts.Romans are in the mod so you could destroy them.

Asia ton Barbaron,a mini mod for EB.

Well anybody heard of "defend" option?!?!?!

combine that with: armories (i KNOW u have them), Polybian troops or higher= unstopable army :p

Romans are the beat all faction IMHO. everyone gets beat except for parthia..they die slow (fights with arrows then run...go figure :P).

Everyone player who beats romans CALM DOWN!!! beating AI isnt mankinds greates achievement... phalanxes get PWNED w/out their cav protecting the flanks...

Horse cav relies on running away while shooting arrows, no more arrows/food for horse (in real life)/ testudo means one TUFF fight.

c'mon, Romans will throw pila (if not killing, then slowing u down, no more shield) then give you a wide stab wound..

Thats bad ass.

Interesting Boyar Son (AKA K COSSACK?) seeing as in real life (the one without RTW AI) the "unstopable" armies of rome were "stopped" alot. hannibal repeatedly defeated the romans who only defeated him by the cowardly tactic of attacking were he wasn't. And in real life the romans feared the Pahlava who repeatedly trampled the "unstoppable" armies of rome. ( these to names might ring a bell Marcus Licinius Crassus and the Battle of Carrhae).
    Last edited by Wolfman; 11-18-2007 at 07:47.

Interesting seeing as in real life (the one without RTW AI) the "unstopable" armies of rome were "stopped" by hannibal repeatedly and that the romans only defeated him by the cowardly tactic of attacking were he wasn't. And in real life the romans feared the Pahlava who repeatedly beat the "unstopable" armies of rome. ( these to names might ring a bell Marcus Licinius Crassus and the Battle of Carrhae).
    Oh realllllllllyyy?!

Scipio AFRICANUS and TRAJAN might have something different to say.

Member Member Centurion Crastinus's Avatar

Didn't Cordubo inflict some some damage to the Parthians?

Quote Originally Posted by Boyar Son
    Oh realllllllllyyy?!

Scipio AFRICANUS and TRAJAN might have something different to say.
    My point being these people were still feared and the romans were humans not machines. And may I ask where you get some of your sources from? (no sarcasm just curious to learn)
    Last edited by Wolfman; 11-18-2007 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharnakes
    People play as Romans?! Well, its their life I suppose.
    I think your line of posts like this is no longer any fun. You've made a lot of them.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by cmacq
    I was overpowered...
    cmacq is overpowered. He hasn't been nerfed yet, so he must still be. Will cmacq be nerfed for 1.1?

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    I think your line of posts like this is no longer any fun. You've made a lot of them.
    The family muscle Bovi the Fish enforcing the law. If I were Pharnakes, I'd skip town.
    Last edited by Thaatu; 11-18-2007 at 10:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    ... or I'll wait and see what the future brings ...
    A note of clarification:

those Eleutheroi armies stacks appear via script at a certain moment and I'd guess they disappear too at a certain moment (or are replaced by a beatable stack) at some point of the game.

T.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast