Thread: how to deal with the public order?

Default how to deal with the public order?

I play as Romani under H/M and when I finally triggered the first reform(polybian) in 242BC, I have already conquered about 60 settlements .

my question is: when you have so many settlements, how to keep all your settlements at least a yellow face(just dont be reioting)?

well, i try to post my picture but due to the poor networks I'm not sure you guys can see it,so just describe it as words here: my territory includes italy,spain,north-africa,greece,and some islands, and the year is 242BC, so i dont have enough money and time to assimilate the local people, now as long as i conquer one more town, my trouble comes: the town is rioting.although i put almost 20 troops to garrison but still useless.

besides,i have already slaughtered every town when i conquered it, and in most occations my general has 3 or more influences, but still can't hold down the local rioting.

looking into the town detail, i found the distance penalty is 50! plus the unrest(also 50) and culture penalty(well,50 again), i think maybe i should have not conquer these farfar away towns...

but romani's victory condition is to conquer almost 100 settlements,so i wanna know how you guys deal with this problem?

thanks in advance!!

Default Re: how to deal with the public order?

The best way to prevent rioting is not conquer most of the mediterranean in 30 years. You should expand in a methodical fashion, to allow new provinces to be assimilated to your culture. You can't expect on holding to 60 provinces, most of which are of different culture and far from your homelands, without any trouble. What I'd do is stop expanding and try somehow holding on to those provinces, so they'll be pacified over time. Building lot's of law buildings would help, if you had the money or the time. Having FMs managing cities also helps.

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if extermination brings some unrest to neighbouring settlements. At least you should check your generals' traits, whether they gained the "total prick" or "pisses on corpses" trait that give penalties to unrest & squalor.
    Last edited by Thaatu; 11-18-2007 at 11:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaatu
    The best way to prevent rioting is not conquer most of the mediterranean in 30 years. You should expand in a methodical fashion, to allow new provinces to be assimilated to your culture. You can't expect on holding to 60 provinces, most of which are of different culture and far from your homelands, without any trouble. What I'd do is stop expanding and try somehow holding on to those provinces, so they'll be pacified over time. Building lot's of law buildings would help, if you had the money or the time. Having FMs managing cities also helps.

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if extermination brings some unrest to neighbouring settlements. At least you should check your generals' traits, whether they gained the "total prick" or "pisses on corpses" trait that give penalties to unrest & squalor.

but even if i stop conquering from now on and just waiting until my present lands totally assimilated, i still have to finish romani's vic condition by occupy the rest 40 settlements, and will it be any easier to control my new conquered towns then? or do i still have to have a 10 influence general to lead my army and stop at every new town for about 10 or more turns until it's pacified and then moved on to next conquering?

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ross1025
    but even if i stop conquering from now on and just waiting until my present lands totally assimilated, i still have to finish romani's vic condition by occupy the rest 40 settlements, and will it be any easier to control my new conquered towns then? or do i still have to have a 10 influence general to lead my army and stop at every new town for about 10 or more turns until it's pacified and then moved on to next conquering?
    Dear player,

you have a lot of time to conquer:

272+14+1= 287 (years) x 4 = 1148 turns (if my mental calculation is right).

Why hurry over the map?

Yours,
    Treverer
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

The idea of EB is that indeed you do not blitz accross the map; but take your time to establish yourself in newly conquered regions. Especially government buildings should be established before moving on; and you should make sure to have some means of keeping the peace. The money, time and effort will pay off - it will eventually allow you to maintain much less of an army in the streets to keep the people under your rule.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

I totally agree... SLOW expansion is the way to go; build up your economy and your infrastructure. That way you don't have to keep extremely large money-consuming garrisons in every new city and your cities are pumping more money into your economy

thanks for all replys above,however,i surely can slow down my expansion and develop my economy first,but sooner or later i have to conquer the rest region to win Romani's vic. and my point is:

when my 3-4influence FM(like most of my FMs) conquers just one more town far away from Rome(capital), the town has already been under rioting before any building could be built yet.

so,does that mean i can't conquer any region before i have a 10 influence general? (is 10 influence enough to hold down the riot?)

i wanna post a little suggestion that one region's culture should be assimilated slowly by its neighbouring lands,just like the religion effect in BI,so that if i develop my front-line cities very well,then when i conquer the next region,i would bear less culture penalty,at least let me have the chance to build my own buildings before riot.

so how do you think?

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

The vanilla RTW is a bit broken in the aspect that occupy or enslave doesn't work, so you have to exterminate all cities almost always. Especially when the distance to capital gets bigger, as the penalty for that is hardcoded. The game is more challenging if you only allow yourself to occupy, though - I played all my campaigns like that a while ago, and Arverni with that house rule was extremely tough...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

has anyone noticed my suggestion in 7th floor?or should i post a new thread for it?

i don't know whether it's possible for RTW 1.5.exe, but i think in that way the culture conflict makes more sense and meaningful.

There's more in EB besides Influence. Traits exist to reduce unrest and squalor. I'm holding Athens with a big culture and distance penalty as rome with a FM with no Influence points but lots of good traits. Its not about waiting for 10 Influence. That doesn't happen all the time. Build schools everywhere. When conquering, destroy as many health and growth buildings as you can without screwing yourself. The latifundia are easy targets since they increase growth and cause unrest. Knock the tax rate to zero and throw some games if you can and lower growth so you can build public order buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Decimus Attius Arbiter
    There's more in EB besides Influence. Traits exist to reduce unrest and squalor. I'm holding Athens with a big culture and distance penalty as rome with a FM with no Influence points but lots of good traits. Its not about waiting for 10 Influence. That doesn't happen all the time. Build schools everywhere. When conquering, destroy as many health and growth buildings as you can without screwing yourself. The latifundia are easy targets since they increase growth and cause unrest. Knock the tax rate to zero and throw some games if you can and lower growth so you can build public order buildings.
    What he said.
    I'm Batman!

It's also a good idea to pop a spy in your newly conquered border cities, so he can get some training and set himself up as a spy guildmaster.

In my campaign, the Seleukids have these three maximum skill spies that keep jumping inside Antioch and driving it close to rebellion. I've got five of my own spies there (each with 3 - 5 subterfuge), but they've got no chance against the Seleukids' very own Operation Treadstone.

Wish I'd taken my own advice 8 years ago...

I had some cold war action with Athens when I first captured it. Epirus was attacking it with spies. I had to move in 3 spies a diplomat plus I shipped my ace assassin, code named Laberius "The Killer" to kill one of them. For a while I was barely hanging on with daily games and low taxes.

Always have a few spies tag along with your armies so they can combat enemy spies. Once governments have been established, concentrate on reducing the culture penalty of conquered settlements by replacing/upgrading their buildings with your own.

Governors' Houses/Palaces/etc are good starting points, as they contribute a disproportionate amount of culture penalty.

I also like to have two family members per army: one who is a good general, and one who is a good governor (high influence and good governing traits). That way, I don't have to leave my good general in a city while it is being pacified. Throw some cheap garrison troops into your army as well and leave them behind with your governor for good measure.

It may also be a good idea to build a regional MIC1 immediately after a provisional military government has been set up, before making a more permanent government. This allows you to build up a garrison in troublesome settlements while the government buildings are still under construction.

Hope that helps.

i agree with Cheexsta, use spy and the second family member....
    build a regional Mic1 and let's go!!!