Explosions rock Egypt Red Sea resorts-residents
    Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:00 PM ET
    Printer Friendly | Email Article | Reprints | RSS

Top News
    Forty-three people killed in Red Sea explosions

Police seeking London bombers shoot man dead

Former agents criticize Bush over CIA leak

MORE

CAIRO (Reuters) - A large explosion shook the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh on Saturday and two other explosions were heard later, apparently from the nearby resort of Naama Bay, a resident said.

One man quoted bystanders as saying four cars had exploded in the car park of an upmarket hotel in the area.

The first explosion, shortly after one a.m., was audible more than one km (half a mile) away, one resident said. It started a fire and smoke billowed over the town.

About 15 minutes later, two explosions were audible from the direction of Naama Bay, about six km (four miles) away, he said. Naama Bay has dozens of luxury hotels popular with divers and holidaymakers from Europe.

Another resident said one of the explosions came from the direction of the Moevenpick Hotel in Naama Bay and broke the windows of his apartment. It was unclear how far away he was from the blasts.

A third person, Ahmed Fawzi, an Egyptian lawyer visiting Naama Bay on business, told Reuters that one of the explosions ripped the door of his office off its hinges.

When he went outside to find out what happened, bystanders said four cars had exploded in the car park of the Moevenpick Hotel. President Hosni Mubarak has a holiday villa in the adjacent Golf Hotel.

Three tourists were killed and others injured in two bombings in the Egyptian capital Cairo in April.

Egypt's tourism industry, based on Red Sea resorts like Sharm el-Sheikh and on its pharaonic ruins, proved resilient after earlier bombings in the Sinai peninsula in October, which killed 34. Those attacks were seen as targeting mainly Israelis.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    I wonder whos behind these?
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Re: Explosions rock Egypt Red Sea resorts-residents

So whats up. Does it only count when the US or Brtain or Spain is hit? Nobody has anything to say here?
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

bastards

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

At some point my friend, you start to become numb to these things. First of all, i'd love to know who's suicidal enough to go on a resort holiday in the southern tip of the Sinai. You'd have to be a fool to go anywhere in the Arabic world and not expect harassment, let alone violence.

Second, let's examine the story at it's grass roots level. Some terrorists bombed a key spot in Egypt. Yes, horrible, terrible, loss of life. I got that. But I'm not going to jump up and run around and scream bloody murder every time the terrorists strike. Don't give the bastards what they want.

A quick 'uh, yeah, a shame' and continuing about your business is the worst F$!K You that you can give these honorless jackals. Live life on your terms, not theirs.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

I wonder whos behind these?
    I think it was probably terrorists .

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Oh enough allready, damn necrophiles. His goatness also threatened to make Amsterdam a hell, ah let them come. We are no brits, we are going to get a little crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    So whats up. Does it only count when the US or Brtain or Spain is hit? Nobody has anything to say here?

Nah it only matters if US or Britain gets hit, no one cared about spain. They don't even speak english.

(this is a political commentary not my views)
    Viva La Rasa!!!

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Apparently this is the worst ever terrorist attack in Egypt, with at least 83 deaths as I write. My sympathies to everyone affected and their families, I just hope that the people behind these attacks can be bought to justice. It does seem unjust when attacks like these receive less attention than, say, the London attacks. However I must say there does seem to be pretty good reporting on this, although that might be because foreign tourists were amongst the victims (2 Britons dead so far, I don't know about other foreign casualties).

And people did care about the Madrid bombings.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Hopefully this tradgedy will make muslim nations take action against what these terror cowards are doing in the name of their religion...

My condolences to all concerned, Brit, Egyptian...all of em.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Sad...

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

My Best friend was staying in a hotel a few hundred yards down the road, he got home yesterday after being put on an emergancy flight home. Scary stuff!!!
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Does your friend have a brain in his head? Honestly, what possesses Westerners to go anywhere near the Middle East, on holiday no less? It'd be bad enough going to Israel, say on business, but surely you realized, they hate us over there? And if it's one in 100, who cares? That's all it takes to kill you when the other 99 just sit back and watch it happen. I'm sorry that this tragedy occurred, but this was foolish naivete receiving a dose of reality in my mind....
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

So we should avoid going to New York, Bali and London and live life on their terms not ours?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Meh... I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of Egypt's residents are moderate Muslims. If London's shown anything, it's that the extremists could have a presence anywhere.

Life has to go on, I think, despite the sensationalist media's desire for us all to live under a constant "blanket alert". He was there for work, KE?

Does your friend have a brain in his head?
    Yes what a silly bugger , just imagine going to a place that is the target of terrorists , why couldn't he choose London , Madrid or New York instead .
    Fear is the weapon of choice for the terrorist , if you choose to live in fear then they have already won this war on terror .

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

No he wasnt working, Went scuba diving. Ok it might not be the safest place but where is now? the last few yrs have shown that these nut cases are willing to blow anyone up anyware, so we can all sit under our beds hiding from it all or we can just get on with life.

It bugs me that people get worked up over these issues as all that shows is the terrorists are winning. I have had relatives In London who were not far away from the bombs and give or take 20mins could have got on the wrong tube. Now I have almost had my best friend blown away whilst on holiday but I tell you its not going to stop me or them carrying on and living life.

Sod the F*&^king terrorists.
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

My condolences to people who have suffered from those bastards actions.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Explosions rock Egypt Red Sea resorts-residents

Maybe Egypt will stop to support the Iraki resistance (read all terrorists currently having fun in Irak) afterall...

What ive read Egypts government is one of the most moderate of Arabic goverments.They are pretty close allies of US.Altough there is very strong sect of extremists in Egypt too.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Explosions rock Egypt Red Sea resorts-residents

Yes, Egypt governement, although it's kind of a dictatorship, is moderate.
    But many medias were and are supporting the iraki resistance.

Yes,the Iraq resistance.Im afraid that resistance in Iraq wont end until the occupation of Iraq ends.Altough im pretty sure that after the occupation ends,there will be a civil war in Iraq.Loose loose situation im afraid.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.