Thread: The Home Front - in the Iraq War

Default The Home Front - in the Iraq War

This article was in the July 4th edition of the New yorker, it is well worht the read. It's sub-title is: A soldier's father wrestles with the ambiguities of Iraq.

One must admit, Iraq is one big butt of an ambiguity.

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/050704fa_fact3

Read it, read 'til you hit the point you must respond to justify your possistion, scan it, blow thru it, but read atleast the first and part of the middle and end to understand what it is about.

Basically, it is a father asking to believe that his son didnot die invain. But, it is much more than that simple quandry of self emotion. It is a submittal of one man's soul - his essence (which he lost when he lost his son).

If nothing else read to the account of the unit memorial ceremony (service) -and try to remember this is about a father's love for his son (and visave). It isn't a policy statement, it is about the reality of losing a loved one in an unwinnable war.

To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Default Re: The Home Front - in the Iraq War

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    If nothing else read to the account of the unit memorial ceremony (service) -and try to remember this is about a father's love for his son (and visave). It isn't a policy statement, it is about the reality of losing a loved one in an unwinnable war.

I might have until you made it politicial with this little statement. Bah.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Sense when do you tell the future. We don't know if we will win the war or lose the war.
    Formerly ceasar010

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : The Home Front - in the Iraq War

Thanks , KC, plenty of food for thought in that article.

A few days before the funeral, Kurt’s mother, Jeanie Hudson, had told the local paper, “He loved this land and its principles. He loved Iowa. It’s an honor to give my son to preserve our way of life.”
    Writing to his father about his first mission in Baghdad, an uneventful night operation, Kurt was more explicit:

I found myself thinking that Im in a country where a lot of soldiers lost their lives but where we at it was so quiet except all friggin dogs barking the Iraqis hate dogs so they’re all wild probubly never had a bath their whole lives this country is a shit hole they dont have plumbing so they dig little canels and let all the shit and piss run into the streets . . . theyre places that smell so bad you almost throw up. from what I see its goin to take alot longer then Rumsfeld and G.W are saying to get this shit hole up and running.
    Ambiguis(sp?) indeed.
    Leaving politics aside, I feel sorry for the guy. He's just a kid from the American heartland, as good as any. Off to do what he thinks is right.

Then he dies in some shithole, 8000 miles from home. Leaving his parents, his brother and sister to wonder why, if it was worth it. I don't know if it was, but I do know that I hate war.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    I might have until you made it politicial with this little statement. Bah.
    Expected more from you, Red. Then again, maybe my statement was a bit overboard. But, we can't win the war - only the Iraqis' can do that.

]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

Expected more from you, Red. Then again, maybe my statement was a bit overboard. But, we can't win the war - only the Iraqis' can do that.

Then you should of stated that verus the politicial baised rethoric (SP) that you chose to use.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Why were you so sensitive to that part, Redleg?

Serious question. I'm not grinding an axe or anything...

Have you served, or known someone who did service there?

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

i believe redleg was in desert storm. but besides that, red and kafir go way back, if you know what i mean.

also, i don't think it would be right to describe redleg's reaction as "so sensitive". he was simply stating that calling the current war in iraq "unwinnable" is political rhetoric, which is true (be it correct rhetoric or not).

that said, it wasn't clear from kafir's original statement that the judgement of "unwinnable" was kafir's (it could have been a statement about the position/tone of the linked story). so while i wouldn't call redleg's reaction sensitive, it was a bit presumptuous.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

When I asked "why were you so sensitive to that part", I basically meant "why did that particular phrase stick out as a reason to not read the article". I wasn't trying to imply anything about his masculinity or thin-skinnedness... I meant "sensitive" in the context of sensing and senses.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roark
    Why were you so sensitive to that part, Redleg?

Serious question. I'm not grinding an axe or anything...

To answer your question

Yes - I served 12 years, my brother is still in, and most of my friends have been there and will be going back there.

And its not sensitive - its countering the axe that Kafir wishes to grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    To answer your question

Yes - I served 12 years, my brother is still in, and most of my friends have been there and will be going back there.

And its not sensitive - its countering the axe that Kafir wishes to grind.
    What Axe? What grind? If the article puts yo off, fine. But, don't use your animosty towards me as a reason to discount it.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

That actually sounds like quite a good idea for a thread / poll unless someone has done this sort of thing before?
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

What Axe? What grind? If the article puts yo off, fine. But, don't use your animosty towards me as a reason to discount it.
    The axe that you grind - you might want to go back a couple of months ago when you called my ancestors a certain term - and several other threads. The article doesn't put me off at all - your attempts and caustic and unfounded accusations do however. Two can play the game in which you wish to play, if you don't like it - then don't play in such a manner.