Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10th anniversary

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Re: 10th anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Al Khalifah
    Yes but there are real issues that would need to be addressed before creating a single EU army. For example the vast range of hardware used by the various nations, different C&C structures and varied pay rates and living costs across the EU. Oh and the small matter of there being no common language.

When the EDC was proposed, all the concerned nations (Benelux, Germany, Italy and France) used more or less the same military equipement, had more or less the same living costs.

Members of the Euro Parliament are actually paid on a national basis (ie : Italians euro deputies earn much more money french or pole ones), but an european wage is going to be created soon. The same could have been done for an Euro army.

As for the language, this is one of the big problem of the EU. But I'm sure our great european leaders could have solved it easily

Default Re: 10th anniversary

Actually the only one I was mocking was you
    Oh well thats ok.. Happens every day.

Today i was at Finish Armys website and stumbled upon a comparison of European Armys.Did you guys know that in matter of fact German army is bigger then Great Britains apart Navy.

GB:
    active soldiers 212 660
    reserves 272 550
    Main Battle Tanks 543
    other avf´s 5228

airforce:
    fighters 470
    attack helicopters 195

Germany:
    active soldiers 284 500
    reserves 358 650
    Main Battle Tanks 2398
    other avf´s 5768

airforce:
    fighters 507
    attack helicopters 221

This was suprise to me.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha
    Today i was at Finish Armys website and stumbled upon a comparison of European Armys.Did you guys know that in matter of fact German army is bigger then Great Britains apart Navy.

GB:
    active soldiers 212 660
    reserves 272 550
    Main Battle Tanks 543
    other avf´s 5228

airforce:
    fighters 470
    attack helicopters 195

Germany:
    active soldiers 284 500
    reserves 358 650
    Main Battle Tanks 2398
    other avf´s 5768

airforce:
    fighters 507
    attack helicopters 221

This was suprise to me.
    Could you put a link to this website please? It's just that Wikipedia claims that the total number of personel in the whole of the German armed forces is 250000.

I think that these figures are quite out of date. German military expenditure has fallen dramatically since the Cold War. I can't see how Germany could have a military bigger than Britain's when last year it spent less tha half the money Briatin spent on the military.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Its all in Finnish.But heres a www.mil.fi
    Just click the EU flag on the right and choose a country.Its not very specified,but im sure its accurate.
    About the spending.Its obvious that a country in war uses lot moore then a country in peace.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-31-2005 at 11:53.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

These figures just don't seem to match the ones I have (on wikipedia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_forces

British army: 112700 regular personnel
    40000+ territorial army
    386 main battle tanks

Royal Air Force: 942 aircraft (including helicopters)
    53,400 personnel

Royal Navy:

Ballistic Missile Submarines 4
    Fleet Submarines 11
    Aircraft Carriers 3
    Helicopter Carrier 1
    Destroyers 11
    Frigates 20
    Patrol boats 26
    Amphibious Assault ships 2
    Minesweepers 22
    Survey vessels 4

210 aircraft
    40900 personnel

The German Bundeswehr - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundeswehr

Apparently the German armed forces have 250,000 military personnel. 185,000 of these seem to be in the army. I couldn't find any more details.

I am not particularly surprised that the German army is larger than the British army: Germany has conscription and a larger population to draw from. But I would be fairly surprised is the Luftwaffe is larger than the RAF.

As to expenditure - the Iraq war is estimated to cost the UK £5 billion by the end of 2005. This puts the cost at an average of less than £2 billion a year, out of a total budget of £32.6 billion (FY2004-05). Even with the war, British military expenditure is far greater than German (FY2004-05: 24.06 billion Euros).
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

Very intresting.I would like to now from where Finnish Army has drawn these figures.About defence budget,it seems that the Nuclear weapons and the large Navy cost pretty much,landforces especially reserves are cheaper.Its intresting that my country has the biggest reserve in whole EU.About airforce there is also a article that states that while Germans have more assault aircrafts,those are pretty outdated.262 Tornados, 159 Phantom II fighters and only 180 eurofighters are going to replace them.Compered to British 254 tornados,62 Jaguars and 79 Harriers.About the budget another reason could be that different countries count different expenditures in their defence budgets.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Army
    Personnel: 185,100 (as of October 2003 )(including 56,650 conscripts). To be 189,800 by 2006 under the reform programme.

Equipment:
    Adapted CFE Treaty Ceilings: 852 MBT, 1,152 ACV (of which 1,152 AIFV and HACV), 2,255 artillery pieces.
    MBT: 852 LEOPARD 2/2A5/2A6 (see notes).
    Armoured reconnaissance: 409 SPz-2 LUCHS, 114 TPZ-1 (NBC), 130 WIESEL
    AIFV and APC: 1,152 MARDER, 105 M-113, 348 FUCHS TPZ-1, 147 APCV-2 DINGO.
    Tank destroyers (missile):, 210 WIESEL with TOW
    Artillery: 24 M101 105mm, 288 M-109 155mm SP, 185 PzH-2000 155mm SP; 394 120mm mortars (SP).
    MRLS: 132 MLRS
    ATGW: 702 MILAN, 354 TOW
    AA guns: 170 20mm Laf, 147 GEPARD 35mm
    SAM: 120 ROLAND 2, 50 OZELOT.

http://www.deutschesheer.de/C1256B6C...TLJJ9058RHAHEN
    http://www.deutschesheer.de/C1256B6C...TPG6C941RHAHDE

CBR

Thanks CBR.
    Thats a source that has credibility.But it doesnt show reserves and their equipment.Im pretty sure that the figure from mil.fi means all the active soldiers in German armed forces including HQ,Army,Navy and airforce.Or then i might as well be wrong.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-31-2005 at 18:05.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

That figure of 185,100 soldiers agrees with the 185,000 figure I found, suggesting that the total number of personnel in the German armed forces is around 250,000 (see my previous post), which is roughly the same as the UK total number of personnel. I think you might be right Kagemusha, Germany has a more troops, but Britain better equipment and better logistics (and so a greater ability to apply power internationally).

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus
    That figure of 185,100 soldiers agrees with the 185,000 figure I found, suggesting that the total number of personnel in the German armed forces is around 250,000 (see my previous post), which is roughly the same as the UK total number of personnel. I think you might be right Kagemusha, Germany has a more troops, but Britain better equipment and better logistics (and so a greater ability to apply power internationally).
    But that not including the Territorialheer (territorial army) of 390,000 while the UK has IIRC less than 60,000 territorials. The German army on mobilization will be around 500,000 as well as independent Territorialheer units for home defence.

Britains reserve elements have traditionaly been smaller.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    The Bundeswehr removed many traditions that were long standing in the German military. That Prussian aristocracy that CBR mocked produced some of the best generals in history.
    We have a Third Reich fanboy! Unfair perhaps, but those traditions led dirctly to a military that though often resentful of the Nazi regime was nevertheless utterly subservient to it. There is no glory there my friend. If you want to go further back in time then you will find little that is better in the Prussian military system either.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Why is everybody surprised about the strength of the Bundeswehr?

To Britain: It was and is tradition that the navy and air force is strong while the army is quite weak - at least at peace. This makes sense for an island nation. Also traditionally the British mailitary is aggresive. That means it should protect British interests all over the world. So there ability to strike global with all the logistics is superbe.

To Germany: Germany was and is a continental country with a continental army. Fleet is minor. They just have to protect the coast (not much to do there) and the supply lines (not very important). German airforce is quite strong - even though not all units are uptodate. But they have some nice special forces there. The new Luftwaffe was made to stop a Soviet attack, so quantity and training are good. Same to the German army. It was made to stop the Soviets. Nothing more to add, I guess. Since cold war there was no real enemy and so the forces are not very modern any more.
    They never had the task to operate global. German policy is very defensive. So the army does not have the capability for big operations abroad.
    Germany has compulsory military service. So only few soldiers are professionals. That means the army is quite cheap and there is a big reserve. To my experience the 'non-professionals' are highly motivated and good trained.

The two countries show the potential of a European army. The British and the German have different strengths. Together they would be a brilliant combination!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12