Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's:

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Default Re: TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's:

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    Lars, I don't expect you to understand, but that comment is rude, mean, insulting, and essentially added nothing to the discussion. As a matter of fact, it took a nice nostalgic piece and turned it to rancor.

You can make excuses about where you're from or the quality of your upbringing, but it is was wrong.

Think about it, please

ichi
    I'm still trying to figure out how you are so upset about this. BP and Lars are responding to a poorly thought out initial post that holds no water. You're playing the same game they are, and your 'moral high ground' stance is fooling no one.

Keep on living in the 'Good Ole Day's,' which only exist in your memory. (Do you recognize where that's from?) Then have a Werther's Original and watch some Matlock so maybe you can calm down a bit. You're way too thin skinned for the internet if you think what Lars said was offensive.

The problem remains, and it is all of ours to deal with.
    Unbelievable. Did you mean this? (To all: are you okay? Have you all recovered from Lars' caustic and destructive joke? Will you ever be the same? Maybe some therapy is required?)
    Last edited by Proletariat; 07-31-2005 at 16:55.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

I think you guys need to stop staring down your nose at our generation and get off your high horse,
    Whos the one on the high horse here? No ones staring down their nose at your generation. It wasnt us who staid you guys didnt even have calculus back then and now everyone goes to college not like you dunces back in the old days who were lucky to have HS. Were just pointing out the world and society have changed. In many ways for the better but then again in many ways for the worse. If I had to choose a period to get stuck in Ill take the 50s here in America thank you..

we wouldn't be were we are today if it wasn't for your generation in the first place.
    Well then show a little gratitude and respect for your elders. Another thing that is sadly lacking in todays younger generation.

The only ones to to blame are yourselves.
    Are you really that miserable? Look you guys are our hope for the future no ones trying to put you down. But dont go acting were all a bunch of Neanderthals who want to return to our caves. I know that here in the US at least many kids are becoming more conservative. There is hope
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

This must be one of those days.

I still have a hard time believing this thread ... this one alone seems to justify the existance of the Frontroom.

Obviously it is not possible to post an old internet joke in the Backroom without having it first dissected and then starting a brawl over it.

The original post took a humorous shot at how overly concerned people today are about a lot of things in life (particularly with regard to their children).

The orgibial post has nothing to do with how great the previous generation was or how "bad" the current one is.
    It just says
    "look - there are so many things we worry about today or that we consider to be important today, but it seems we are overdoing our worries as it seems a couple of decades ago people still survived and thrived"

But what happens?
    Some people take it serious, think that the post is meant to glorify one generation and to ridicule another, and think snide comments are the best way to response.

Of course - given the current tense situation and deterioriation of posting etiquette in the Backroom - this leads to a major discussion.

Two points:

a) everybody take a deep breath, think of something nice and keep this thread civil (otherwise it will be closed)

b) remind me to never post a joke in the Backroom

Thanks

Ser Clegane

Such a comment is patently offensive, and in person would lead to a brawl.
    *shock and awe*

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Unbelievable. Did you mean this? (To all: are you okay? Have you all recovered from Lars' caustic and destructive joke? Will you ever be the same? Maybe some therapy is required?)
    I'll simply never be the same The post is burned into my mind and i can't forget it

What i find funny is that this thread, unlike others, isn't "conservatives" Vs "liberals". Instead, it's everyone over 30 VS everyone under 30

Why is every one so angry about lars's comment? it was simply a response to a poorly though out and condescending post that was probably better off in the front room IMO.

*edit* i just read ser cleagane's post. i will say something positive...

though kiwitts post was alittle condescending, i think he might have a point about people being somewhay over protective. Though things have changed since the 50's...and the world is much less safe...
    Last edited by Mongoose; 07-31-2005 at 19:11.

Now if I could come up with something offensive to get Ser to shut this down...I would...

But I really have nothing mean to say about any of this or to anyone. I thought the original post was humorous, and some of BPs counters were good too.

But I must say the under 30 versus over 30 is funny. Which way you swing politicially does not matter. Humph. So maybe we know how to unite age groups now! Alienate everyone else! Wait...no...that is a bad idea.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Ah, blindsided. I'd hoped to let this quiet down, but the lady has jumped in and tried to help out, using sarcasm and condescension.

I'm still trying to figure out how you are so upset about this.
    I'm tired of the lack of civility. There has been a degradation of posting etiquette and its making the plce less pleasant. The original post was a fun lighthearted piece and some folks jumped on it a very negative way.

BP and Lars are responding to a poorly thought out initial post that holds no water.
    IMO it was a great post that celebrated the trials and triumphs of a generation. Lars, and to a lesser extent, BP, responded with cheap shots.

You're playing the same game they are, and your 'moral high ground' stance is fooling no one.
    I'm not playing at anything here. Each time I log on to what used to be one of my favorite forums I have to wade through the tripe and bullshit to find something worth reading.

TBH it seems like you're trying to go one up on me with the high ground thing. There's prolly no way to convince you that I don't give a damn about the generation gap issue, I just want to see a little more civility and a little less hostility in here.

Keep on living in the 'Good Ole Day's,' which only exist in your memory. (Do you recognize where that's from?) Then have a Werther's Original and watch some Matlock so maybe you can calm down a bit. You're way too thin skinned for the internet if you think what Lars said was offensive.
    Never had a Werther's, never watched Matlock. and actually I'm quite calm. The 'good ole days' pop up whenever and wherever we make them. You've made several incorrect assumptions about me, and you've missed the mark with all your little slurs, they're quite unbecoming and add little to the discussion.

Is it thin-skinned to want to have a little civility? I think you've confused things.

Ahh, overdramafication. Since you can't or won't discuss the issue intelligently, exaggerate the whole thing to absurdity. It's so much easier to try and ridicule others than to engage in a constructive dialogue.

Prol, I doubt that anyone was permanently scarred over the one post. If you want to try to mock me because I'm standing up against the XSBS then please, go ahead. I had hoped that people would see that this is a great forum that is slowly being degraded, and that we are the only ones who can stop it.

I still feel good about trying to make this a nicer place.

My point is clear. We used to be able to post here without having the thread spammed or hijacked or filled with insults. Now the place is the personal dumping ground for a number of trolls and other angry people.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Ah, blindsided. I'd hoped to let this quiet down, but the lady has jumped in and tried to help out, using sarcasm and condescension.
    Sorry.

I'm tired of the lack of civility. There has been a degradation of posting etiquette and its making the plce less pleasant. The original post was a fun lighthearted piece and some folks jumped on it a very negative way.
    This is where you lose credibility.

IMO it was a great post that celebrated the trials and triumphs of a generation. Lars, and to a lesser extent, BP, responded with cheap shots.
    There you go.

I'm not playing at anything here. Each time I log on to what used to be one of my favorite forums I have to wade through the tripe and bullshit to find something worth reading.

TBH it seems like you're trying to go one up on me with the high ground thing. There's prolly no way to convince you that I don't give a damn about the generation gap issue, I just want to see a little more civility and a little less hostility in here.
    BP and Lars responded in a tongue in cheek fashion to a tongue in cheek post. Why is what BP and Lars said 'tripe bullshit' but kiwitt's is a 'great post'?

Never had a Werther's, never watched Matlock. and actually I'm quite calm. The 'good ole days' pop up whenever and wherever we make them. You've made several incorrect assumptions about me, and you've missed the mark with all your little slurs, they're quite unbecoming and add little to the discussion.
    The Matlock thing was a Simpsons reference I thought you might like. Sorry, again.

Ahh, overdramafication.
    ichi
    Very rich, coming from someone who thinks post #2 would start a brawl. Who do you hang around where brawling over things like that is expected?

On topic, all generations have the things that were stupid about them, and also those things that were admirable about them. It's not apples to apples to compare any of them, for many obvious reasons. But to somehow say kiwitt's post was clever, accurate, just a joke, etc, while saying BP and Lars are ruining the Org with their responses, is an utter overdramafication.

Why is what BP and Lars said 'tripe bullshit' but kiwitt's is a 'great post'?
    The posts speak for themselves. kiwitt was celebrating a generation for surviving the conditions under which they were raised, and isn't a personal attack on anyone.

So, you want a medal or a chest to pin it on?
    IMO, this isn't tongue-in-cheek, it's a poor attempt to mock another member.

I did get the Simpson's thing, but in the context of a paragraph of comments attempting to demean me, it wasn't funny.

Who do you hang around where brawling over things like that is expected?
    Because I really only play one game, VI, and this has been the best place for information and the best community for TW fans. I don't mind brawling, I've shown that I can go toe-to-toe with the best. It's the personal attacks, the insults, the spam, the hijacking that is making this place less pleasant. Brawling may be expected in the Tavern, but IMO brawling on an adult level.

There are those who feel that this place is different, a forum where intelligent, civilised discussion is the standard, and others who think that it simply another board where they can post whatever, within a strict interpretation of the rules, anonymously and without responsibility.

Forgive me for wanting more.

ichi

CoH

Because I really only play one game, VI, and this has been the best place for information and the best community for TW fans. I don't mind brawling, I've shown that I can go toe-to-toe with the best. It's the personal attacks, the insults, the spam, the hijacking that is making this place less pleasant. Brawling may be expected in the Tavern, but IMO brawling on an adult level.

There are those who feel that this place is different, a forum where intelligent, civilised discussion is the standard, and others who think that it simply another board where they can post whatever, within a strict interpretation of the rules, anonymously and without responsibility.

Forgive me for wanting more.

ichi
    ...whaa..? You said post #2 would start a brawl in person. That's ridiculous. VI and the Org rules have nothing to do with your absurd hyperbole.

Word escalation comes to my mind,when i read this thread ."War of agegroups".
    Because i was bornon 1978 i should give thanks for the congratulations i survived couple of years in 70´s. .I think the brawl wich started after the initial posts is somehow understandable.If i remember my childhood,it warms my heart everytime i think of it.Ofcourse its a matter of luck what kind of childhood you get.But the point is that you are child just once.And that time in our memories is sacred to as all.No matter if you were chilren in 30´s or 60´s or 70´s or 90´s.Inmatter of fact i think if you ask any human beeing what decade was the best,the person will answer the decade when he was a child or a teenager.I think we are rich here in Org,because we have people young and old here.Maybe we can even learn something from each other here, or then maybe not.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Some people hated their childhood. For the most part your right . Thats because life and the world were always simpler in the past. Progress brings complexity. It goes back to who happier Jags natives in the Amazon or you. We all have to choose how much progress and complexity we are willing to accept. Thats why some people prefer the country life. The thing about the 50s is everything that was reall needed to live comfortably had already been invented. It was a great balnce at least here in the US of good economic times and prise in our country. Life certainly was simple as compared to now days. What some call progress others call decadence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Some people hated their childhood. For the most part your right . Thats because life and the world were always simpler in the past. Progress brings complexity. It goes back to who happier Jags natives in the Amazon or you. We all have to choose how much progress and complexity we are willing to accept. Thats why some people prefer the country life. The thing about the 50s is everything that was reall needed to live comfortably had already been invented. It was a great balnce at least here in the US of good economic times and prise in our country. Life certainly was simple as compared to now days. What some call progress others call decadence.
    I agree with you Gawain.It would be nice if we could choose when and where to born.But unfortunetely its in possible.Only thing we can do is to stiff up the lip,and make our lives as good as it gets.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Can't believe I missed this! That'l learn me not to post at 2:00 AM.

That's odd, your first post is the one that is objectionable, before I posted anything. Its unfortunate that your response was to get angry, all you needed was to look at your actions and realize you were out of line.
    That's the ADD, you ask me the same question at 3 different times you'll get 3 different answers. That and it's part of my ninja like skills to confuse my opponents with contradictory statements. Mwahahaha! Like I said I didn't get angry until you started to ride me.

It was aimed at those of us who shared in similar experiences, you took it personally when it clearly wasn't meant to be offensive. Your 'quip' was rude and offensive, adding nothing to the thread except hostility.
    And it was derogatory to anyone who didn't share them. And my quip was not offensive, well maybe to an old lady like my grand mother. But anyone else should be able to take it for what it was.

It clear you have no intention of taking any responsibility. The problem remains, and it is all of ours to deal with. Hopefully you can do your part.
    Now your getting it. And I won't so you can get off it now. Taking "responsibility" would be like admitting I was wrong, and THAT is never going to happen.

Yes, it is possible to skirt the rules and post right on the edge. You fail to understand that this isn't your private playground, where you can act out as you see fit. Too bad, you're making it a less pleasant place for the rest of us.
    And I won't know the limits until I find the wall. But that's the kicker of a public ofrum like this you have to take the courtousness with the assholery.

This is in response to me asking you to take personal responsibility. I've already noted how selfish you appear, unable to consider a greater good than your own sense of satisfaction.
    The greater good is an illusion. The only thing I care about is me, screw the world.

You've said this several times. My response is the same, that you feel free to dump on whoever, whenever you feel its justified, but you also seem unable to understand that you don't come across as friendly, but as rude and insulting. Some day you'll get it, hopefully.
    I doubt that, I'm very stubborn.

Your post speaks for itself, it wasn't positive in any objective view.
    Then you need to re-examine your objectivity. Cause here on planet earth it was positive.

Well we've agreed on two things now. That your post was insulting and now, that it was a smartass remark. When you come to realize that we need less of that we'll be done.
    Actually we much much much more smartass remarks. There what make the world go round.

and it's too bad you felt so threatened by kiwitt's post that you had to try to take the piss. It was a nice fun post that needed nothing of the kind.
    Yes it did. It made me amused, angry, and insulted all at the same time.

Say it all you want, it was a cheap shot (and a rather weak one BTW). It wasn't funny and it was out of line.
    -Was not a cheap shot
    -Was funny
    -Was in line

I looked back through the thread but couldn't find anything other than you felt that a celebration of a generation was offensive. As I look through his post I find nothing that would elicit such a hostile reaction from you. Your post asking if he wanted a medal seems to indicate that you were mocking someone for being proud of themselves and others like them. Either tell me me why it was painful to you or I'll just have to assume it was you seeing an opportunity to snipe.
    If you really so blind you can't see it. You must need glasses, so here you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    You see most of what kiwitt said applies to me and I was born in 1981.

Exceptions being
    -My mom never drank or had any desire to until my younger brother was in his teens
    -My mom refused to feed us 3 kids white bread, it was always whole weat (better for ya.)
    -It's been illegal to ride in a car with out a seat belt in Canada (federal law) for nearly 40 years
    -I've always hated playing outside, I prefered to be in my sandbox building castles and only for an hour
    -I grew up in the city so there were limits to how far I could roam until I was a teen
    -We didn't get a NES in my household till I was 9
    -We were never alowed a BB gun 1 because mom didn't like them and 2 because she knew little brother would try and kill me with it
    IMO you failed to 'take the piss', you just came off as angy and resentful.
    You wound me sir. not likely

Again with the contradictions. First it was just a joke, then you were taking the piss, then you were angry. After all that you've said I'm not sure how it was intended.
    What can I say ADD. Unless I look right at what I said before I can't remember what it was.

What you fail to realize is that your attempt at humor, if that's what it was, was mean, rude, insulting, not funny, and out of line.
    Broken record.

To you this may be just another board where you can come in and piss off people, say what you want then hide, but to me its one of the best forums on the web. If you think that the general decline in civility and increase in bull is no big deal, then that's consistent with your failure to understand anything but your own selfishness.
    The only person I appear to have pissed off is you. Looks like a few people were amused by what I said. And find your anger at it illogical.

Using terms like soapbox and crusade is your way of trying to belittle me for making an effort to keep this place pleasant. Why do you feel the need to do that?
    It is pleasant. Your trying to be everybodies mommy. And I already have a mother thanks you. Plus we have mods.

Thanks Lars, you just made my point for me.

ichi
    Your welcome.
    Last edited by lars573; 07-31-2005 at 23:15.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

...whaa..? You said post #2 would start a brawl in person. That's ridiculous. VI and the Org rules have nothing to do with your absurd hyperbole.
    No amount of smilies can mitigate asking someone if they need a chest to pin a medal on. Such a comment is patently offensive, and in person would lead to a brawl. But you refuse to get it, so . . .
    Perhaps far up in teh magnolia tree there are folks who would ignore insults, my experience is that if you said that in person you'd get more than you bargained for.

Go try it. Go into a bar and strike up a conversation with someone about them. Ask what makes them feel good about themselves, and when they tell you look them in the eye and ask them if they want a medal, or a chest to pin it on. Let me know how that works out.

Its regretable that you condone rude offensive behavior and try to belittle someone who thinks we would better off without it.

ichi

CoH

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

I was not expecting "kids of the 80's or later" to be so sensitive. If I upset people of these later generation's, I apologize. Note: this will not stop me posting here, items I fine amusing. The majority of people could relate to some of the lines there.

Thanks Ichi and others for understanding where I was coming from when I posted this.

BTW: I also studied Calculas in High School in 1978.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Thats rubbish. No microwaves? No lager (at least not here)? No Pink Floyd? Thats not living comfortably in my book.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Thats rubbish. No microwaves? No lager (at least not here)? No Pink Floyd? Thats not living comfortably in my book.
    Damn thats pretty sad.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234