Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: let´s bring up every petty land claim

Default Re: let´s bring up every petty land claim

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince

How about you all give greece ultimate authority since you pretty much owe democracy(and pretty much culture) to us.
    Now there is the statement of the day. Athens lost to Sparta in the Peloponnesian War. In fact, the direct democracy of Athens was partly what led to its downfall. The masses could be swayed by charismatic leaders to do foolish things. I am not saying I agree with autocracy, I am just pointing out that Athens' doctrine of Democratic Imperialism was ultimately a failure. So there.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Bah, Amercia should be thanking us. Without us you'd all be speaking French!
    ? Thats a new one.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : let´s bring up every petty land claim

You would, Gawain, if it weren't for the British.

From the mouth of the St. Lawrence down to New Orleans the British and French contested each other over dominance over North-America. For a time span as long as the US has existed, more than two centuries, French was the most widely spoken European language in North America. The British are better at multiplying themselves than us, and gained the upper hand.

And even after Britain lost it's main colonies to the newly formed independent USA, it was still Napoleons need for money to fight the British in Europe that forced him to sell the Louisiana Territory, all the land extending from the Mississippi River westwards to the Rockies to the US in 1803.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: let´s bring up every petty land claim

sorry guys....can you help me out?

i lost this thread i started...it had to do with territorial disputes....it started with a tone that i hoped that would be funny at the time that i wrote it....

anyone seen it? anyone?

if someone finds it somewere please contact me....i was growing atached to the little thing...
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    if someone finds it somewere please contact me....i was growing atached to the little thing...
    Sure I know where it is. Its in the center of the world with the four worldcorners called EU, USA, WW2 and drivel.

CBR

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

You would, Gawain, if it weren't for the British.

From the mouth of the St. Lawrence down to New Orleans the British and French contested each other over dominance over North-America. For a time span as long as the US has existed, more than two centuries, French was the most widely spoken European language in North America. The British are better at multiplying themselves than us, and gained the upper hand.

And even after Britain lost it's main colonies to the newly formed independent USA, it was still Napoleons need for money to fight the British in Europe that forced him to sell the Louisiana Territory, all the land extending from the Mississippi River westwards to the Rockies to the US in 1803.
    Thats a pretty bold assertion. Didnt you leave out some players here like the Spanish and the Indians?
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

I might be wrong but, most of the fighting indian tribes in the Franco-British war in North America was mostly friendly towards the French, as they treated them better.
    Spanish? they had little or nothing to say in the north americas and spain was in decline more or less since the end of the 16th century.
    The indian tribes not fighting on either the French or British side had nothing to say really, lacking numbrs, organisation and inter-tribal leadership.

please correct me if im wrong tho.
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I forget the exact details, but there's a small island off the coast of Maine that declares it's sovereignty every 10 or 15 years, until the state of Maine discontinues ferry service, then they knuckle under.... until the next time....
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Look, far from intending to post petty nationalist drivel, I was merely trying to clarify BDC's comment about North America speaking French if it wasn't for the British winning the struggle for America.

It's pretty basic stuff about the history of European colonisation of the North-American continent. At least Lazul and the Library of Congress seem to think so. (Fantastic site, btw! In English and French).

At the risk of it being mistaken for boasting and bragging, I'll post this map, because a quick glance will show what I'm referring to:

Not everything

Spot on, Gc.

Back on topic.

I suddenly remember that the French Antarctican Territory is disputed by, er, both China and the US.

From our cold dead hands, lads...
    Not everything

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I thought there was a treaty drawn up at the UN that Antartica doesn't belong to anybody and nations cannot make sovereignty claims down there...

Besides, everyone knows thats where the aliens keep their secret base! Don't you watch X-files?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Default Re: Re : let´s bring up every petty land claim

Quote Originally Posted by Louis IV the Fat
    The British are better at multiplying themselves than us, and gained the upper hand.
    By this logic:

Ultimately North America will be ruled by Mexicans.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

not sure if this is a land claim as such, but off the british coast there's a republic called sealand that seceded from britain, but who britain refuses to acknowledge.

They have their own passport and everything... all for a 30m cube of concrete.

Sealand- In the 1960s, one of Great Britain's more productive cottage industries was pirate radio. The painfully bland BBC and the painfully bland government of Harold Wilson took umbrage, and soon the pirate transmitters were forced underground. After one pirate station began transmitting from a ship outside the three-mile limit of the UK's waters, Roy Bates and Ronan O'Rohilly, both owners of pirate radio stations, got to thinking.

The North Sea at this time was littered with Second World War-vintage radar platforms. In 1966, Bates and O'Rohilly occupied one and called it Sealand. They began hatching moneymaking schemes ranging from not just a pirate radio station, but also a gambling resort and a corporate tax haven. As the freshly-minted nation's prospects rose, so did the tension between the diumvirs of the baseball-diamond sized empire. Bates seized the tower. In June of 1967, O'Rohilly launched an offensive, which Bates and his men repulsed with guns, Molotov cocktails, and a surplus flamethrower. Upon hearing that the Royal Marines were preparing to seize the platform, Bates declared Sealand's independence and himself Prince Roy on September 2. When a Royal Navy ship demanded that Bates abandon the platform, the Prince opened fire. On a jaunt back to the old country, Bates was arrested and brought before a British court on a number of charges related to the incident. The case was dismissed in October of 1968; the court agreed that Prince Roy's Sealand was outside of British jurisdiction.

Sealand stayed out of the news until a German businessman toured Sealand a few years later. During negotiations, the German’s hired Dutch goons kidnapped the crown prince and set him back ashore. Prince Roy rapidly got together an army, hired a helicopter, and retook the tower. Since the German had accepted Sealand citizenship, Bates arrested him for treason. Over the next seven weeks, the German government repeatedly appealed to the British Foreign Office, which insisted that it had no jurisdiction. Further vindicated, Bates eventually released the German without payment of his 75,000 Deutschmark fine.

The next uproar took place during the Falkland Islands War of 1982. Argentina's initial success rapidly eroded, and the Argentines conceived of a desperate plan. They contacted Bates and asked to lease Sealand as a missile base, hoping to destroy British morale. Bates swallowed down his mercenary impulses and declined. In a completely unrelated matter, Britain extended its territorial waters to the 20 kilometer limit later that year, soon after dynamiting another tower near Sealand. Prince Roy refused to give up the ship, though. In 1999, he entered into negotiations with HavenCo to lease the entire nation. HavenCo (naturally) now plans to turn Sealand into an offshore data haven. Since the EU has already extended Sealand a certain degree of de facto recognition, it remains to be seen how these plans will develop.

http://www.buckyogi.com/footnotes/nats.htm

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    I thought there was a treaty drawn up at the UN that Antartica doesn't belong to anybody and nations cannot make sovereignty claims down there...
    Wiki

Several nations, particularly those close to the continent, made territorial claims in the 20th century. These claims have little practical relevance due to the Antarctic Treaty, which came into effect in 1961, but continue to be observed by cartographers.
    It's a map there to.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by mystic brew
    not sure if this is a land claim as such, but off the british coast there's a republic called sealand that seceded from britain, but who britain refuses to acknowledge.

They have their own passport and everything... all for a 30m cube of concrete.
    Yess we have something similar, the Hutt River Province. They declared war on Australia once.

Idiots.

I have a nice landclaim, just look at the maps:

Germany 1914

Germany 2003

No need for those little territories though, I just want the land.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12