Thread: Maybe there's more condemnation then we thought...

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Maybe there's more condemnation then we thought...

It would appear that it wasn't just American Muslim clerics (or British ones) that have caught the condemnation bug...

I may get kicked out of the Conservative Club for publicly admitting I listen to it, but I heard this on NPR on the way in this morning...

More condemnation of terrorism in Arab media then one would think...

You have to listen, there's no transcript, but I was surprised to learn that according to an informal poll by Al-Jazeera, (which granted isn't scientific) the largest group of respondents, at 36%, placed the leading cause of terrorism as Islam, and didn't think they as muslims had done enough to discourage it. Professor Maluf continues to cite a batch of recent terror condemnations in media outlets over there.

I've frequently said that I don't see/hear these condmenations and it's offended some other members of the backroom. It would appear I was wrong, and I apologize for offense given.

Now, I was big enough to admit that, please be big enough not to sour grapes me (expression meaning 'I told you so') because Professor Maluf also says that this has been a recent development (past few months).

Anyway, LeftEyeNine & others, you were right, I was wrong, and this crow tastes lousy.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-28-2005 at 22:40.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Re: Maybe there's more condemnation then we thought...

I may get kicked out of the Conservative Club for publicly admitting I listen to it, but I heard this on NPR on the way in this morning...
    Nah you have to listen to bothsides if you expect to make any reasoned resonse. However posting something from NPR sure doesnt improve your credibilty as far as the right goes. I dont belive anything that Al Jezzera prints. Did it ever occur to you that they may have an agenda? Also if 36% claim that Islam is the problem why do they follow that religion? Dont go eating that crow just yet.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Well, actually, Al-Jazeera appeals to their world, not ours. If they want to sell a different picture, they can send scholars over to speak on CBS News

Sucking up to the West is not something I've ever viewed as something Al Jazeera strives toward. What's more, as I said, the specific point of debate was whether or not muslim clerics in the middle east were condemning terrorism or not, and if you listen to that story, Professor Maluf (who's Lebanese) says that in the past few months, condemnations have become all the rage.

As for that 36%, I don't think they meant that Islam itself is the cause... I think they were saying that their religion & religious leaders needed to do more to see to it that their religion doesn't get hijacked and things they do not approve of don't get done in it's name.

I'm pretty cynical, but even I don't think this is an elaborate plot by the muslim world to get us to drop our guard.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-28-2005 at 22:44.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Its good to see 36% of the muslim world agrees with me.

And to think, I was called every name in the book for insinuating that maybe, just maybe, the interpretation of Islam was the leading factor in causing muslim terrorism.

To 36%.. we support you - take back your religion!

Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

I listen to NPR everyday.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Sucking up to the West is not something I've ever viewed as something Al Jazeera strives toward. What's more, as I said, the specific point of debate was whether or not muslim clerics in the middle east were condemning terrorism or not, and if you listen to that story, Professor Maluf (who's Lebanese) says that in the past few months, condemnations have become all the rage.
    Well this is what Ive been saying all along. Again only they can fix this problem. Nice to see theres hope. Lets hope it continues to gain momentum.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

I see this as good progress.I hope that we see more Islamistic religious leaders doing this.Im sure that the silent majority of Muslims dont support terrorism.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

@ Don:

I apologise for being so argumentative in the other thread that has... err... disappeared overnight.

I hope this bug spreads quickly. I still don't understand why there hasn't been some kind of concerted statement from the Muslim world's governing bodies. What is the global structure of Islamic church? Do they have the equivalent of a Synod or Council of Bishops, or are the different branches just too disparate?

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I'm with Don - oopsie.

Don't forget me... I think the terrorists are bastards and they will burn in hell....