Thread: Pakistan accuses Britain of failing to tackle militants

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Default Pakistan accuses Britain of failing to tackle militants

erm ....

By Hala Jaber, Rawalpindi

BRITAIN is regarded as a safe haven by Islamic extremists because it has failed to crack down on them despite urging other countries to do so, the president of Pakistan has warned.
    In an interview with The Sunday Times, General Pervez Musharraf suggested that Britain had paid a price for putting the right of free speech before the need to curb militant Islamic organisations that openly advocate violence.

“They should have been doing what they have been demanding of us to do — to ban extremist groups like they asked us to do here in Pakistan and which I have done,” he said.

In particular, he said, Britain should have banned Al-Muhajiroun and Hizb ut-Tahrir, groups that he accuses of preaching anger and hatred and of calling for his own assassination.

“They could have banned these two groups. Good action is when you foresee the future and pre-empt and act beforehand, instead of reacting as in the case of Britain — which waited for the damage to be done and is now reacting to it.”

Musharraf, an ally of Tony Blair in the war on terror, took “strong exception” to accusations levelled against Pakistan since it emerged that at least two of the July 7 bombers had visited the country for several weeks up to February this year.

One of them, Shehzad Tanweer, from the Leeds suburb of Beeston, is said by relatives in Pakistan to have spent time there with militants from the banned extremist Jaish-e-Mohammed organisation. Blair has intensified pressure on Musharraf to clamp down on militant training camps and radical madrasahs or religious schools. Musharraf announced last week that all 1,400 foreign students at Islamic schools in Pakistan would be made to leave.

Musharraf said that while he had already implemented sweeping measures, much remained to be done in Britain.

“Many people around the world find it convenient to leave their countries and go to Britain, which they regard as a safe haven as it wants to project itself as a champion of human rights,” Musharraf said.

“But now they (Britain) have to reconsider and take action against these groups.”

Condemning the London bombers as “people who needed to be eliminated”, Musharraf bristled at suggestions that the outrage may have been masterminded from Pakistan because three of the bombers were British nationals of Pakistani parentage. “They came on their British passports — what do you expect us to do? Prevent British passport holders from entering? “The British government should look at those it has given passports to and we should look at those entering our country.”

Intelligence services were still trying to verify whether one of the bombers had attended a madrasah in Pakistan: “If he has gone to a madrasah we will take action against that madrasah.”

He revealed that Pakistani investigators were using telephone records provided by London to interview everyone who two of the bombers had called there from Britain. “We are going through each of those numbers,” he said. “It is a little premature to draw conclusions. It is a very tedious job.”

Musharraf has renewed calls to resolve the Palestinian and Kashmiri disputes which he regards as being at the root of terrorism affecting the entire world. “If we don’t do this we will fail the region and the world,” he said.

Pakistani security forces have detained hundreds of suspected militants and Islamist clerics since the London bombings. “Our campaign is not meant to capture large numbers of people and then release them after a fortnight,” he said. “We are not going to impress with numbers, but we are after the bigwigs, who abet extremism and violence.”

Efforts were under way to arrest Masoud Azhar, leader of the Jaish-e-Mohammed group which Tanweer is believed to have contacted.

ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

Forever British Member King Ragnar's Avatar

Default Re: Pakistan accuses Britain of failing to tackle militants

He does have a very strong point.
    Vote For The British nationalist Party.
    Say no to multi-culturalism.

He does have a very strong point.
    Yes and if you want to take advice from a military dictator who sponsors both domestic and international terrorists and suppiles nuclear weapons technology to some very unsavoury regimes , then feel free to follow his advice .

I did'nt say he was good guy, i just ment he has a good poitn that Britian does nothing to stop the regimes in this country, an example of were they have done nothing, that guy with the hook the muslim preacher he was saying all sorts of things and nothing was done about, i dont know if he is still in the country but if he is its a discrace.

True Rag , very true , but as he backs these same extremists and only clamps down on them when they have a falling out or he wants to earn some brownie points with the West then should we give his statements any truck at all , what gets me about his interview is that a Military dictatorship that supports terrorism is trying to lecture countries on how to curtail human rights to stop terrorism .
    I will see if I can find his statement 2 days ago from the North Pakistani newspaper "the frontier" so you can see how he is singing a completely different tune to different audiences .

I know what you mean he is just saying things to please Mr Blair and Bush. Please post the other article.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    True Rag , very true , but as he backs these same extremists and only clamps down on them when they have a falling out or he wants to earn some brownie points with the West then should we give his statements any truck at all , what gets me about his interview is that a Military dictatorship that supports terrorism is trying to lecture countries on how to curtail human rights to stop terrorism .
    mmmm .... brownie :drools:

I know you're right there Tribesman. He is a thug, trying to look good. Not a good person to take advice from.

Azi
    Last edited by Azi Tohak; 07-31-2005 at 17:29.
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

He is a thug, trying to look good. Not a good person to take advice from.
    Well that pretty much shoots down communism as all their leaders were thugs, Lenin , Trotskey and the whole bunch. Thinking like that nothing any of them said is worth listening to. Just because your a thug doesnt mean your a moron. Though in the case of these guys it was pretty much true
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

I hope we'll be getting and accepting lots more advice on how to run a sucesful country from the good General.

“Many people around the world find it convenient to leave their countries and go to Britain, which they regard as a safe haven as it wants to project itself as a champion of human rights,” Musharraf said.

“But now they (Britain) have to reconsider and take action against these groups.”

Perhaps the complete lack of human rights in your hole would explain the mass emigration from your country to Great Britain.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Oh by hole, I meant country.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Azi Tohak
    I know you're right there Tribesman. He is a thug, trying to look good. Not a good person to take advice from.

Azi
    At last I can agree with you on something.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Quote Originally Posted by Al Khalifah
    I hope we'll be getting and accepting lots more advice on how to run a sucesful country from the good General.

Perhaps the complete lack of human rights in your hole would explain the mass emigration from your country to Great Britain.
    He he he! Good point! I wonder if anyone had the gaul to point that out to him.

Dealing with terrorism in our midst is going to be very hard...but the last thing we need to do is clamp down on our liberties. I know Moslems and it hardly seems fair to punish the whole group.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    True Rag , very true , but as he backs these same extremists and only clamps down on them when they have a falling out or he wants to earn some brownie points with the West .
    You hit it right on the nose If there are no troops in Afghanistan this dosent happen. Pakistian is Just worried the U.S will poke around in the lawless tribal region bordering Afghanistan. So the Pakistani goverment parades some low ranking men to keep us happy and out of there affairs
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Didnt the bombers go to 'militant islamics school' in in Pakistan??
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Azi Tohak
    He he he! Good point! I wonder if anyone had the gaul to point that out to him.

Dealing with terrorism in our midst is going to be very hard...but the last thing we need to do is clamp down on our liberties. I know Moslems and it hardly seems fair to punish the whole group.

Azi
    You see, another thing this 19 year old immature, self righteous, know it all can agree with you on.

Not so hard to speak sense every now and then is it.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Immature and self-righteous? Perhaps.

But what I want to know is how to stop the terrorism. Maybe, with as many smart people (left and right) as we have back here, we could come up with something. I just know punishing an entire group for a few nut-jobs is insane.

Anyone have any ideas that don't involve either
    A. buying them off
    B. kill them all?

Azi
    Mark Twain 1881

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    Didnt the bombers go to 'militant islamics school' in in Pakistan??
    We know that some of the July 7th bombers visited Pakistan. I don't think that we know if they actually went to a Madrassa (which by no means are all 'militant').
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Pakistian is Just worried the U.S will poke around in the lawless tribal region bordering Afghanistan.
    Is that why the border patrols are opening fire on the joint coilition/Afghan patrols who are searching for Al-Qaida .
    BTW send a memo to the coiltion to supply the Afghanis with better body armour , The Pakistani border patrol are so far only wounding the coilition troops but they are killing the Afghans