Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Yet another case that shows why the death penalty is such a bad idea

Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

Default Re: Yet another case that shows why the death penalty is such a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by sharrukin
    Thats pretty good! Can I quote you on that?
    Sure.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

Default Re: Yet another case that shows why the death penalty is such a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    That is my belief also about Criminal Justice - Its not about reform but about retribution for your actions.
    I agree. Punishment as a principle presupposes responsibility. Responsibility indicates a knowledge of right vs. wrong conduct.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

Question Re: Yet another case that shows why the death penalty is such a bad idea

I uh just wanted to rez this topic to make a quick point. How is it that we are executing people who may be innocent, yet the BTK killer, who confessed to murdering ten, only got life?

WHAT THE F

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albino Gorilla
    I uh just wanted to rez this topic to make a quick point. How is it that we are executing people who may be innocent, yet the BTK killer, who confessed to murdering ten, only got life?

WHAT THE F

You will have to call Witcha, Kansas and talk to the DA there and ask him why he cut such a deal.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    You will have to call Witcha, Kansas and talk to the DA there and ask him why he cut such a deal.
    From what I could piece together, they could not ask for the death penalty because Kansas did not have capital punishment at the time his crimes were committed.

I may be wrong though. Anybody else know?
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    From what I could piece together, they could not ask for the death penalty because Kansas did not have capital punishment at the time his crimes were committed.
    You would be correct - Kansas did not have the death penalty as law during the time frame of the killings.

I may be wrong though. Anybody else know?
    That is the most logical reason for why the DA chose not do pursue the death penalty - and he has stated so in the news.

A rant often deserves a smart hoofed mammal reply.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678