Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medieval: Total War campaign problems.

Question Medieval: Total War campaign problems.

My specs:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz
    256mb ram
    Windows XP Home ed.
    Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller 64mb

I simply can't play the Medieval: Total War campaign. Everytime I start a campaign, it loads, then immediately jumps back to the menu. I hit resume game, it loads, and again, back to the menu. I can play custom and historical battles fine. I contacted Activision and they said I couldn't play Medieval with my graphics card, which is fine, except that I can play Rome: Total War 1.2 and Rome: Total Realism 6.0 just fine. Is there some way that Medieval has higher graphic card specs than Rome? The driver is updated, and I've tried both patched and unpatched versions of Medieval.

Any of you guys had this problem or have any solutions?

Default Re: Medieval: Total War campaign problems.

Greetings All,

New to the Forum but I thought I would put in that I have the same problem.
    With regards to Medieval Total War
    System
    Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.19 ghz 504 MB Ram
    Intel (R) 82159G/GV/910GL Video Card..

3D Engine works fine.. One can play quick battles, custom battles, historical battles etc. but if you try to get into a campaign it goes all crashy.

Always get the Medieval.TW exe error...
    Downloaded the V.1.1 Patch and that just gives you the CD insert Errors.
    Contacted Activision Value and they just said yeah that a problem we don't know what to do...While they will give me another game of my choice...
    After playing this at a friends I want nothing other than to be able to play this. I've tried on a number of other Computers though all Dells with relatively similar setups. Same Error. Is it truly just the card? If so I will buy a more appropriate one. Or set up a machine custom designed for this. Was considering buying a Dell Inspiron XPS laptop but now bit sketchy if no matter what I get the inherent bugs will frustrate me. Truly wish to partake of this game and community so I would most appreciate any and all advice.

Respectfully Yours,
    The Ogden

If it is older and slower needed I can slap that together as well.
    Really just want to play.

im gettin this prob as well. any solutions?

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Wow, that's really odd. You obviously have enough specs to play MTW, maybe it is just the make of the GFX card...

Why's this in the tech library and not the apothecary itself?

Any way.
    This seems strange as this problem often stems from people having Nvida gfx cards, and new drivers.
    Rolling backdrivers usualy fixes this problem,

However. It seems Both of you are using On board GFX chips.
    In the normal course of things these suckers wont run anything worth playing.
    so I would tell you to buy a ATI GFX card , becous if you buy a Nvida gfx card The problem will persist as your drivers will be to new,

However as your onboard gfx chip. Seems to be able to play RTW.
    This means that the gfx chip Should Be easily able to run MTW.

Have you tried diferent setings for gfx in mtw options?

Unfortunatly I doubt there is an answer other than You need a diferent Gfx card.
    I would recomend ATI as a card manufacturere you should be concidering,

But i would try changing all the options in mtw that you can. before buying a diferent gfx card.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Hmmz, been having this problem too lately, which is very weird since it did work before.

What is even funnier is that I do have the ability to play old saved games ( the ones from VI ), and I believe those others with the same problem can do this too.

What I do know, that I did update my drivers a couple of days ago, before that is worked fine.
    Though if that is what caused the problem remians unknown.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Then it should be a simple matter of roll back to your previous drivers to fix prob...

Well that wasn't even necessary, I 'tried starting a campaign ( VI ) today and was expecting it to crash me back to the desktop again,but no, it worked.... I hadn't changed a thing.

Have no idea what made it work.

Well sometimes things just work by accident... can you play well now or are you experiencing CTDs in mid-game?
    This post was not written by a native English speaker, we apologise for the fault in the grammar and spelling.

not been having any CDT's mid game / battle, so I'm a happy man , at least for the time being.

Other people have been having this problem too, but a solution has been found !

See here :

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...89#post1131489

For those to lazy to click this is the best part of the thread :

Aenarion,

Yes as per the link from Drone, try changing antialiasing setting from 0 to 2 - just had a marathon MTW session just like the good old days no crashes, no problems and MTW running smoother than ever, load times shorter, battles looking better and lass laggy than before - new driver seems responsible for that.

Before I changed antialiasing settings game would crash on camp map for almost any reason and I could not get more than a few game years in at a time if I was lucky.

Just wish I'd remembered that Huscarles are not trainable once period hits high - only had 2 depleted units in my forces doh!
    All of the honors should go to desdichado and Northnovas for coming with the solution.

Also look at this thread :

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...t=43835&page=3 ( page 3 )

About half way down Northnovas explains how he fixed the problem.

Hopefully it 'll work for others that have the same problem.

Last edited by Dutch_guy; 05-02-2006 at 16:10.

I hope this works but i have one problem, i have no idea how to do that. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by odion06
    I hope this works but i have one problem, i have no idea how to do that. Help?
    I realise this reply is a rather late one, but still, what do mean by That ?

The anti-aliasing level can be changed by accessing your Nvidia settings, located in the task bar.

Select it, then hover the mouse over the Performance and Quality setting, the select Anti Aliasing Settings where you can change it as mentioned in my post above yours.

Many many thanks to Dutch_guy.

But is there any chance for Intel accelerated graphics card???
    There is no antialiasing options.

Read this thread carefully, unless you have Vista in which case you're probably out of luck unless someone comes up with a solution.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...ighlight=intel

Many many thanks for da reply.
    But unfortunately, didn't worked, may be i should move to Rome total war, althouth i really wanna finish this.
    I am using Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family and i downloaded da most oldest one, release date was 4/5/2005. But didnt solve da problem:(.
    But many thanks for Your replyCaravel.

Hii Guys,

MTW recently publishes a new patch for MTW, this may be worked out.
    But i dont have da required cd to play da game, have u any idea how i can convert my Medieval TOtal War Cd into the required cd?

If u have any idea, plzz give me.

Thanks...

Unhappy Re: Medieval: Total War campaign problems.

hi,
    i recently bought stw and mtw everything works fine besides the campgain mode everytime i go to the campgain thing ip[ick who i want to be etc then diaster strucks as soon as it goes on the loading page the error message comes up and says mtw or stw has stopped working any possible solution would be nice thank you same problem woth both games
    specs
    amd dual core 4000+
    ati 1200 series
    vista basic

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    Other people have been having this problem too, but a solution has been found !

See here :

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...89#post1131489

For those to lazy to click this is the best part of the thread :

All of the honors should go to desdichado and Northnovas for coming with the solution.

Also look at this thread :

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...t=43835&page=3 ( page 3 )

About half way down Northnovas explains how he fixed the problem.

Hopefully it 'll work for others that have the same problem.

Can something similar be done with Windows Vista and Intel (R) 82945G Chipset? Last night I searched but no luck.

Also, do you think the new upcoming service pack for Vista will have any positive effect with respect to the Intel graphics chip?

Rick

i have bought mtw2 it works fine but i really wanted to play mtw because it is easier to control

this is what im looking for!, i just installed the game today after a few years,on the SAME pc,used to work fine, now it doesnt when I try the campaign, hope it works, and damn!, cant beleive this is so common.

i wana play this game again so bad lol

damn i cant edit my post, but whats weird is that, the original poster of

Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz
    256mb ram
    Windows XP Home ed.
    Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller 64mb

thats excatly what i got but now 512mb ram lol

weird!!

damn this game , still love it tho but the trouble it gives us

Hi, having the same problem, I think it's because I use Intel gfx card... And I see it's possible to load saved games... So, can anyone create a game in Early period with Germans, save it, and upload it for me ? 'Cause I don't have any idea on how to change antialiasing on Vista, or Intel cards... Thanks forward.

For the 82845G downgrading to the older driver in the thread that I linked to earlier seems to work. If you have Vista though, this earlier driver won't be an option for you. You may be better off getting a real graphics card and installing that if you have an available PCIe or AGP slot. Just read the CTDs thread in the apothecary forum first and get lots of advice before doing so.

Well, seems to be a lot of work, and since I'm too lazy, I think I'll have to wait for Christmas to get a fully new comp... Hopefully, I'll be turn down antialiasing on NVidia GeForce 9600, if it'll work at least...
    I think I don't have any of these slots anyway... Thanks anyway.

The Chosen One Member Noddy The Beefy Egg's Avatar

Question Re: Medieval: Total War campaign problems.

A very serious one. When i load my pike and musket campaign for medieval total war 1, it goes back to the desktop. I run as Administrator, it crashes again. Is there any update or patch that can fix the problem?
    Last edited by Noddy The Beefy Egg; 12-24-2008 at 17:53.

On my titles, Kaiser means king in German. So i'm the king

SELLING PIRATINGS OF THIS VIDEOGAME WILL RESULT IN PUNISHMENT BY CRUSHING

Quote Originally Posted by Acron View Post
    Well, seems to be a lot of work, and since I'm too lazy, I think I'll have to wait for Christmas to get a fully new comp... Hopefully, I'll be turn down antialiasing on NVidia GeForce 9600, if it'll work at least...
    I think I don't have any of these slots anyway... Thanks anyway.
    The worst card you could buy if you want to play MTW. My advice to you is to acquire an old PC that can run MTW or if you want to go to a new PC then forget STW/MTW and move on to the next gen TW games. You may want to take the risk with a newer ATI card but I myself am currently having problems with one of these. The game runs but the loading screen take an age.

Again: Please read the MTW CTDs stick thread before you buy new hardware or make any decisions.
    Last edited by caravel; 01-02-2009 at 01:36.

Quote Originally Posted by The Clone Trooper View Post
    A very serious one. When i load my pike and musket campaign for medieval total war 1, it goes back to the desktop. I run as Administrator, it crashes again. Is there any update or patch that can fix the problem?
    What type of hardware and which OS are you trying to run the game on?

Read the CTDs sticky thread in the Apothecary. Try the "button fix", if that fails you may be out of luck.

If it's only the mod that crashes, then uninstall MTW, reinstall it, install VI and patch it if necessary, then make a copy of the installation folder and install your mod to that. Do not install mods on top of other mods.
    Last edited by caravel; 01-02-2009 at 01:40.

Hi! I don't know if this is still an issue for your guys.
    I own a Dell Inspiron 1501. Pretty much a bottom of the barrel machine.
    The specs as I remember them...
    AMD Athlon 2.0GHZ single core (*sniffle*)
    1 GB RAM
    Windows XP Pro
    Intel Integrated Graphics card (don't remember the exact type, it doesn't do much though)

I have ran MTW, VI, RTW, and MTW2 on this machine without issue. I know that quick battles are an issue in RTW and MTW2, since I have no graphics power or processing power to speak of, but campaigns work fine.

I do have my graphics options set to BARE minimums, low quality, etc.

I do also have issues from time to time with totalwar.exe (i think its the process name, but its the .exe for the game) crashing. Generally, I can reboot or just restart the game, and it runs without issue.

Again, the only problem I have is the lag. Real-time battle is, alas, beyond my poor machine.

If I might offer an obersvation about consistencies I notice with people crashing... no garuntees, but this is my thought. I am running 1GB of RAM on XP, I have noticed a 128, 504 (which is an odd number, for the record...) and 256 MB RAM. As well as a Vista machine. Before you go spend money on a graphics card for just this game, consider two other options.

First, if you want to spend some money that will improve overall system performance, I'd recommend dropping some RAM in. I know my video card uses shared RAM, so if my RAM is low, my video crashes, hard.

Second, you could also try (for XP users, for sure, not sure on Vista) doing two things simultaneously: first, increase your virtual page file memory. This has sped machines up and helped with stability with some of my machines, as well as friends' machines, in the past. And, while you are there, use a SET amount of page file memory. Don't let your machine change it. That sucks up processor power, causing lag, and possible timeouts of the process, resulting in a crash. I won't garuntee this will work for MTW; I don't know what causes it or that this is related. But if it doesnt? Well you get a smoother running system overall.

Here are links to change pagefile sizes:
    XP: petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    Vista: windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory

Sorry to write a novel, but I hope this helps you guys. Great game, it'd be a shame to dump money into a machine to play it if you can play it without needing to!

Sorry they aren't links, I can't post URLS yet :P

Welcome Kaloralros,

Yes user managed swap space is better than system managed for the reasons you have stated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast