Thread: Russian Sub Rescue

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Default Russian Sub Rescue

Good to see that Russia asked for help early in this incident. Hopefully the sailors will be rescued. My father's aircraft crew were happy to be picked up by Russian's in the Bering sea...and that was during the Cold War.

Trapped Russian Mini Sub
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Default Re: Russian Sub Rescue

Its nice to see that Russians appreciate their sailors life´s more then their militarys honour.It seems they have learned their lesson after Kursk incident.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Although I imagine that Russia did learn it's lesson after Kursk, I can't help feeling that the decision to ask for help was also due to the fact that the craft in danger was a small submersible rather than a nuclear submarine. Let's just hope that they can rescue the crew.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Hey Gelatanous Cube, still want to work in a sub? I know, I know. It's a Russian POS, but it still sucks.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Reports are saying that they have all been freed now, and are apparently healthy. Info is a bit preliminary, looks like Russians and Brits doing the underwater work with a U.S. Navy doctor involved in evaluating the submariners. Nice to have a happy ending, and multi-national involvement in a challenging rescue.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    Hey Gelatanous Cube, still want to work in a sub? I know, I know. It's a Russian POS, but it still sucks.
    Uh, this wasn't a design flaw - if you put an American sub in the same situation it would have a similar problem.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

If you wrapped an American sub with their own monitoring cables weighed down by 60 ton anchors? Sure.
    But does the US Navy have the same careless track record?

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    If you wrapped an American sub with their own monitoring cables weighed down by 60 ton anchors? Sure.
    But does the US Navy have the same careless track record?
    True - but that's not what DA was reffering to. He specifically reffered to the fact that the submarine itself was a "Russian POS", and not to the planning that put it there.

I've nothing against calling a spade a spade as you did, but DA did not make the correct point!

Before we get too confident West vs. East...we might want to reflect on the fact that we have found it important to keep this rescue capability in place. The U.S. had some rather nasty accidents early on. Rather than gloating, remember the sea can be a much more merciless enemy than somebody else's military.

True, historically, the Russian sub force had a lot of trouble. I remember hearing quite a bit of 3rd hand scuttlebutt from U.S. sub hunters 25+ years ago about various Russian sub incidents. I assumed some of these were exaggerations, but in the last few years I've seen documentaries that confirmed every one I can recall. What surprised me about the "new info" was how much I already knew.

We've got a shuttle coming down in the AM. This is a bad time to get too full of ourselves.

Wasnt there an extremely boring Harrison Ford movie about this very same topic?

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Congrats to the Brits for lending a hand. What's revealing is that after the Kursk incident Russian leadership promised to develop a recovery system.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    Congrats to the Brits for lending a hand. What's revealing is that after the Kursk incident Russian leadership promised to develop a recovery system.

ichi
    This snippet from a CNN article would appear to address that...
    "The rescue of the AS-28 mini-sub, itself a rescue vehicle."

Reminds me of when a local fire station caught on fire when the firemen were out on a call. Other city employees successfully contained the fire, and ribbed the firefighters' about it.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've heard that Russian subs (some of them at least, and probably the older ones) can be real tough. Kind of like MIR. It way outlived it's expected lifespan, while the US space lab stunk.

Reminds me of a simpsons quote:
    "But who will police the Police?"
    "I dunno. The Coast Guard?"

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder