Thread: Peter Jennings Dies at 67

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Peter Jennings Dies at 67

Reaction to the death of Peter Jennings

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Reaction to the death of Peter Jennings.

"No one could ad lib like Peter. ... You would think that it was all scripted, he was so poetic, but it wasn't." - ABC colleague Barbara Walters.

---

"He really did make us raise our sights." - ABC colleague Diane Sawyer.

---

"Make no mistake, inside that tall, handsome, elegant and eloquent exterior, inside that, beat the heart of a fierce but principled competitor." - former CBS anchor Dan Rather.

---

"We were not just competitors and colleagues, we were friends. We had a lot of opportunities to reflect on this in the last year. It was a competitive brotherhood." - former NBC anchor Tom Brokaw.

---

"Kayce (Jennings' wife) told me earlier this evening that 'Peter died with his family around him, without pain and in peace. He knew he'd lived a good life.'" - ABC President David Westin.

---

"He was a student for the rest of his life, even though he had dropped out (of school) so early - not `even,' because he had dropped out so early. I think if there was one message he would like to leave with young people today it is, 'Don't do what I did.'" - ABC colleague Ted Koppel.

---

"A lot of Americans relied upon Peter Jennings for their news. He became a part of the life of a lot of our fellow citizens, and he will be missed. May god bless his soul." - President Bush.

---

"Peter Jennings represented all that was best in journalism and public service. A man of conscience and integrity, his reporting was a guide to all of us who aspire to better the world around us. I learned from him and was inspired by him." - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

---

"He always had the courage to ask the tough questions and demand answers. He set a high standard for TV journalists and his influence will be felt for generations to come." - New Mexico Gov. (and former U.S. energy secretary and U.N. ambassador) Bill Richardson.
    I believe he was the last of the great tv news anchors. RIP
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Default Re: Peter Jennings Dies at 67

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=52106

I dont think he was that great.. especially some of his political commentary during and after 9/11, but he seemed to be a good hearted man who had a great life. RIP

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

I dont mean I found him to be great but that he was the last of the bigtime famous anchors. Remember hes been around since before cable when these guys were the only game in town.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Not to be disrespectful- I'm sure he was a good guy, but I tend to get a little annoyed with all of the coverage he and others get. The guy wasn't the president and wasn't the pope, ect. He read the news on TV.

Like I said, he was most likely a really great guy, but thousands of great guys die everyday and no one says boo about them.

Hope that doesn't come off as ranting- but I Tivo'ed past the segment on him on my news tonight.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

ABC world news, thingy, is shown on BBC news 24 in the early hours of the morning - it will probably be on soon I guess - he just seemed like most news readers, but I guess I don't know al lthe situation as I am not over there.

Anyway, the woman who has been taking over for him isn't bad looking, so if she gets to read the news all the time for him, it ain't all bad.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Peter was a class act, something that is becoming much, much rarer. People note his passing because of that, and because when one enters your home each evening to share the news of the day, the tend to become something like a friend. People trusted Peter, they spent hours listening to him, and so in the end they will miss him.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH