Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cultures aren't equal

Default Re: Cultures aren't equal

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    When I came to America i learned the language and the culture, and didnt expect it to be any other way.

But you are still a Kraut.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Why the center is left of me of course and the right of you.
    Being against multiculturalism is very left Gawain. US today is getting more and more left to me due to the increased fear of multiculturalism, protectivism to the own incompetent labor force and the belief in solving everything with brut force. More Soviet Union is hard to get.......

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

For sure it's a leftist position! It's about time Gawain find out what left really is! Get out of the US and stop thinking in US political term; you'd be a perfect fit for some French left wing political parties!
    Ive spent years out of the US overseas thank you. I wouldnt fit in anything French thank you.

That it is wrong headed "leftyism." You are so into this moral righteousness craze. Now you are trying to cut multi-culturalism into segments so that you can still conveniently transfer those you consider lefty's "over there, you know with the bad guys."
    Oh so its me whos saying theres more than one type of multiculturalism now. Damn man can or do you read anything here other than what I post. Its seem almost every post you make is aimed ay me. Im all for people coming here and keeping part of their culture but not trying to replace ours with theirs.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Damn man can or do you read anything here other than what I post. Its seem almost every post you make is aimed ay me.
    You see it that way because you flood the backroom with your blog regurgitations from the extreme right. Your sense of history is perverse. I couldn't call it history really, it is more of an effort to reshape history to fit your current political view. Since you are the lead proponent of this here, you will naturally find me taking square aim at the revisionist propaganda and yellow journalism that you post ad nauseum.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Back on topic.... this has always been a problem with America, are we a salad or a stew. Plenty of cultures hang onto remnants of what they left behind. But where that culture conflicts with their new one (political ideology, accepted morality, even language) it was always expected that by virtue of moving to America, you were declaring you wanted to be an American, for better or worse.

In the past 30 years, we've moved away from that. We're following in Europe's vein, even though most Europeans would agree that traditionally, America had been the best culture in the world at welcoming immigrants. Now, instead of acceptance and blending, we have enclaves. We have English As a Second Language (which means you go through school without learning English, let's face facts). We have apologists who come out and say 'maybe honor killings aren't so bad, in the context of who these people are'.

I don't blame the Left for this. I blame America for this. We need to recognize what it was in the past that made us the best society at integrating immigrants and get back to that. This foolishness of Tejas, or Little Cuba, etc. needs to end. We all need to understand we're not African-American or European-American or Asian-American.... we're American.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Ive spent years out of the US overseas thank you. I wouldnt fit in anything French thank you.
    Is that all you got as an argument?

It's not A US forum... And many leftie here are definitly people that are republican first (in the French sense): for them being French is a matter of sticking to ideals more than being born here. Those are the people who despise political correctness, quota policies and are frontline to ban headscarf from public places. They are very militant against hate speech, whether it's extrem right or religous. And yes, they are from the left, and they take "égalité" very seriously.

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

What I dont understand is why people come to America and desperately try and cling to their old culture, even trying to force it on other people. If that culture was so great, why did they leave it?

I mean, if you left italy because you were desperately poor and the country couldnt feed itself, why would you be so proud to be italian over in America?

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    Alright, you're a chick. You're with an abusive guy. He beats the crap out of you, and you don't like it. You leave, and move in with a nice guy who takes care of you. But, every week, you decide to have an "Abusive Guy" festival, where you celebrate the, uh, Abusive Guy.
    Seems about right to me.
    That's because you don't appear to truly understand multiculturalism.

Here's a better analogy:

Alright, you're a chick. You're with an abusive guy. He beats the crap out of you, and you don't like it. You leave, and move in with a nice guy who takes care of you. But the one thing the abusive guy did really well was make spaghetti sauce. Because spaghetti is your favorite food, you wrote down the abusive guy's recipe before you left. Now, every week, you decide to have a "Spaghetti" festival, where you celebrate your love of spaghetti and share it with others so that they too can enjoy it.

That's multiculturalism. Embracing the valuable parts of cultures, and rejecting the ugly parts.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    That's because you don't appear to truly understand multiculturalism.

Here's a better analogy:

Alright, you're a chick. You're with an abusive guy. He beats the crap out of you, and you don't like it. You leave, and move in with a nice guy who takes care of you. But the one thing the abusive guy did really well was make spaghetti sauce. Because spaghetti is your favorite food, you wrote down the abusive guy's recipe before you left. Now, every week, you decide to have a "Spaghetti" festival, where you celebrate your love of spaghetti and share it with others so that they too can enjoy it.

That's multiculturalism. Embracing the valuable parts of cultures, and rejecting the ugly parts.
    You are vastly oversimplfiying the problem, or have you even been paying attention to where the bombers over in the UK were born?

As I said, every culture that has come to America has brought some of their legacy here and worked it into the patchwork quilt that is 'Americanness'. However, where your culture is incompatible with American culture, you have to leave that behind, or go back to it. Otherwise, you wind up with what we're headed towards and Britain unfortunately already has.... generations of people being born within your borders who DO NOT identify with the country of their birth, cannot speak the language, resent and loathe their fellow citizens.

I mean, don't take my word for it. Go read La Rasa's website!
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 08-10-2005 at 18:10.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    You are vastly oversimplfiying the problem, or have you even been paying attention to where the bombers over in the UK were born?
    Don, I was using that analogy in response to one that also simplified the problem.

As I said, every culture that has come to America has brought some of their legacy here and worked it into the patchwork quilt that is 'Americanness'. However, where your culture is incompatible with American culture, you have to leave that behind, or go back to it.
    Read my analogy again Don. It says exactly what you just did. The woman in my analogy embraced and kept the good part of her old culture (the spaghetti), while discarding the bad part of her old culture (the abuse).

I agree with you completely: if an inherent part of your old culture involves hatred and murder of those who practice the culture of your newly chosen country, then you have two choices: 1) Reject that part of your old culture that hates the new, or 2) go back to your old country and keep all of your old culture.

Multiculturalism wasn't to blame for the London bombing. If the bombers had been practicing true multiculturalism, not only would they have cherished the valuable aspects of their old (Muslim) culture, but they would have also embraced all of the valuable aspects of their new (British) culture as well.

Sadly, they had no intention of practicing true multiculturalism and did not do this.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

I don't have any problems with 'multi-culturalism' per se. Many people view it as synonymous with pluralism, and in that spirit, I think it's perfectly healthy. What would we be without St. Patrick's Day? I think the word 'multi-culturalism' gets used as a boogey-man for the real culprit, a fanatical devotion to moral relativism.

But in an effort to continue to drive your analogy well past the bounds of reason, what if the new boyfriend had serious issues with spaghetti sauce. The girlfriend clearly cannot understand the "Why" of why her new boyfriend is opposed to spaghetti sauce. Does that mean she's free to go ahead an continue making spaghetti sauce?

This isn't just about terrorism. It's a question of the fabric of a people. Other things that immigrants brought with them that they found not only perfectly acceptable, they couldn't understand why somebody would have an issue with them that had to be left behind:

female circumcision
    eating dogs
    polygamy
    polyandry
    incest
    animal sacrfice (which actually, i believe falls under religiuos freedom...)
    recreational drug use
    excessive physical discipline of one's children
    dueling
    vigilantism (Mexicans in particular do not believe in going to the police)
    prostitution (which again, in some cultures touches on religious freedom issues)

Do you see my point? It's not just about raising bombers. Sometimes, the behavior/attitude might seem relatively innocuous to the practitioner, but for their own benefit, and for those of people around them, there has to be a social contract that if it violates the cultural norms of your new society, it has to be left behind, or you do.

Strike for the South

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
    It's not about left being wrong...

It's about French being right

You're all turning French

Louis,

PS: what I mean is: this is quite typical leftist Franch standpoint...
    I thought I was turning Japanese
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    I thought I was turning Japanese
    I love that tune!

Strike for the South

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

how can you ask from a kid that has been rejected by the society becuz he is not like them to identify with them. he chooses the one closest to you. not the one that doesnt likes him, its normal.

you guys all got smooth talks but do you know how it is to get discriminated. how painful it is to walk the streets and get the feeling that your not wanted, for christ sakes its also your country. youre born here and now you got some guys that say to you to get back to your country.

how can you ask that guy to identify himselfs with the ones that say he must get outa here. no never he'll say that he's one of m, if he's muslim he'll say he's muslim. if he's south-african he'll say he's south-african. why should he reject his culture to become like them, yeah he should embrace it, but also hold his own. he must get to a point where he doesnt feel turc or american but to a point that he feels human.

a girl i know once said

there is only one country: the earth
    there is only one kind of people: the human
    there is only one religion: love

once we get to that point everybody can be happy
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 08-11-2005 at 11:36.

We do not sow.

But in an effort to continue to drive your analogy well past the bounds of reason, what if the new boyfriend had serious issues with spaghetti sauce. The girlfriend clearly cannot understand the "Why" of why her new boyfriend is opposed to spaghetti sauce. Does that mean she's free to go ahead an continue making spaghetti sauce?
    That depends. If, in your continuing analogy, the spaghetti sauce simply represents a harmless part of the old culture that is merely found to be distasteful (for example, when I lived in Saudi Arabia, it was considered very bad manners to touch people or eat with your left hand; if you did, children would laugh at you and adults would be disgusted, but you wouldn't go to jail for it) in the new culture, then yes, she is free to continue to making and enjoying spaghetti sauce herself, but she should not expect her new boyfriend to share it.

On the other hand, if the spaghetti sauce in your analogy represents something that is actually illegal in the new culture (i.e. forced female circumcision, carrying a sword on your waist, beating your wife or children), then no, she is not free to continue making the spaghetti sauce ever while living with him.

- TSM

You can't eat with your left hand in Saudi Arabia?

Okay... time to cross another country off my list of places to visit...

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Quote Originally Posted by Azi Tohak
    You can't eat with your left hand in Saudi Arabia?

Okay... time to cross another country off my list of places to visit...
    *whispers*

Psst... It's because that's the hand you use to wipe your bum...

- TSM

Thanks Goof. But that is really disturbing. And if PJ is right, then I can't blame them for not using their left hands to eat. Eww...

Of course my alternative is stabbing myself in the nose with a fork. Maybe that is why the kids would laugh at me...

Anyway, what was the topic again?

Ah yes...about spaghetti. Sounds good to me for supper actually...

Mmm... spaghetti...

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

polygamy
    What is your problem with polygamy ?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmolsson
    What is your problem with polygamy ?
    If you can accept your wives having more then one husband then it is a fair arrangement.

Polygamy makes sense in a society where the number of males are vastly outnumbered by females.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    *whispers*

Psst... It's because that's the hand you use to wipe your bum...

I use toilet paper. And I wash my hands afterward.

Yep, there are quite a few cultural mistakes you can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    If you can accept your wives having more then one husband then it is a fair arrangement.
    I would have no problem at all, as long as they pick up their part of the bills for credit cards, house, cars etc. Experience says that there are nobody queing up for that so I am still the only husband.....

Polygamy makes sense in a society where the number of males are vastly outnumbered by females.
    Not really. Every female should have the right to access to an alpha male. As it is nowadays, we are to few and therefore polygamy is the only alternative.
    I am sure you have seen many of the beta males around these days so I am sure you understand......

I'm an Omega male.

I will take one diamond to four zircons any day of the week.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Actually I kind of like the idea of polygamy... kind of makes me curious about Islam, though I do believe that it is the root of much terrorism and am therefore wary.

As far as the "fairness" argument-- screw being fair. Few women play fair. Especially not western (at least American) women. American men typically do play fair. Their lack of dignity sometimes appalls me.

DA

Quote Originally Posted by Del Arroyo
    Actually I kind of like the idea of polygamy...
    Imagine 4 beautiful wives...all PMS'ing at the same time!!!

Yes, it's a bit of a gratuitous shot, but female menstrual cycles are known to align (last I heard anyway--maybe it has been disproven.) PMS is real, too. I actually track it so that I know when to tread lightly around my dear lady. By the way, a bit of advice for the young'uns, if you are ever having one of those unexpected arguments with your new wife, and suddenly realize that she is PMS'ing...for the love of God and all things sacred: keep it to yourself and just cave in. Don't do what I did and say, "Oh...wait a minute...you're PMS'ing aren't you?" I "won" the argument on the spot (by "won" I mean she quit chewing on me), but it was truly a Pyrrhic victory.

The 3 phrases to know in this situation are:

Yes, dear.
    No, dear.
    It's my fault dear.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Or the boss just called and they need me at work
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    Yes, it's a bit of a gratuitous shot, but female menstrual cycles are known to align (last I heard anyway--maybe it has been disproven.)
    Not at all......

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

I'm an Omega male.

I will take one diamond to four zircons any day of the week.
    doh!!! who wouldnt say that if he was you...

We do not sow.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Who says love, marriage or women should make sense?
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123