Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs Up

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Re: Thumbs Up

Gawain ; In that case teach it in religeous studies where it belongs .
    Ok im all for classes on religous studies in school just like science. How about you? Great idea you have there.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Sure. Just as long as it covers Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judiasm, Christanity, Zorarastisim, Norse Mythology, Greek and Roman pantheons, it's all good.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Sure. Just as long as it covers Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judiasm, Christanity, Zorarastisim, Norse Mythology, Greek and Roman pantheons, it's all good.
    Why of course. I was taught all these things in school. Did you know that the founding fathers and our governent at one time made religous teaching is schools even universtities mandatory. That it was thought to be unconstitutional not to.

Last I checked, they give you the cursory run of each major religion and it's history in school.
    Yup that they did. But I suggest we learned much more about their relgous practices than you do today other than in those schools that stress these things. I used to love learning the Hanakah songs and the traditions behind them.

That's as far as it should go.
    Again thats not what the founding fathers thought. Religion is still the best to way to teach morality. They wanted the fear of god to be in everyone.

Again thats not what the founding fathers thought. Religion is still the best to way to teach morality. They wanted the fear of god to be in everyone.
    They might of thought that, but today that should no longer be mandatory.

However, I would enjoy a more full religon course that included highlights of the history of that religon. We practically learn nothing about anything other than America, at least in my school. And there oppitional history courses are all dumb, except for Art History (which I'm taking, and it's an AP class to boot!)

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

You are again making my point calling a theory fact.
    If it were proven, it would be a law and, therefore, fact. However, it is not proven and, therefore, it is not fact.

We could debate that all day. What it comes down to is that schools are there to teach you the practical knowledge necesarry for every-day life. Math, Science, History, ect. It is not there to impose a sense or morality in you.
    Again this is against what the founders and writers of our constitution believed. If we keep ignoring them and the constitution we are doomed. Weve already outlived the time alotted most democracies. They would abhor secuarlism as it is espoused today.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

But at that point, we have moved beyond scientific evolution to doctrinaire Evolution. The randomness of the mutation cannot be demonstrated or proved; it is simply an article of belief, no different in character from a belief that an intelligent Creator nudged the adenine, thymine, cytosine, and guanine bases of that DNA strand into the right order. Or that he took the clay of archaic homo sapiens and molded Adam in His own image.
    If it can be explained without the need of an external source why add it? Very important why add this particular creation story, why not that of an Australian Aboroginal Tribes (each tribe has a separate creation myth and to label another tribes one as theirs is an insult) or Hindu belief system

Mutation occurs all the time. Some of it is called cancer. It happens. We know some of the causes like UV light changing the bonds in the cells. Oxidation again causing issues etc.

But I also don't think science is well served by elevating to the status of unquestionable truth the image of a material universe governed solely by random and otherwise inexplicable events. That's a worldview, not a scientific conclusion, and it has no better claim to our intellectual assent than views that postulate an underlying purpose, meaning, or destination for humanity.
    a) Science unlike the poor mathematicians version Anthropology doesn't deal in absolute truths. He is making a false assertion to push his own one forward... Strawmans arguement if I understand the meaning of that phrase.

b) The material universe is random at the quantum level. It is not a worldview, it is part of the science that has lead to solar cells, nuclear weapons, LEDs, semiconductors, computer chips etc
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

And who are you to speak for them?
    Now this is funny Seems youve been taking lessons from Red Harvest. You ask me that question and then do the same thing yourself.

I think any one of them would take a long hard look at our government and say "What a bunch of dicks, let's start another revolution."
    But I totally agree.

We could debate all day what they would and would not approve of.
    Well we could try if you like. Care to start thread on the matter?

The theory of, evolution, creation and intelligent design all deserves respect and consideration. If they are the truth or not can be discussed.
    With respect, objectivity and tolerance, we can move our knowledge forward.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Again this is against what the founders and writers of our constitution believed. If we keep ignoring them and the constitution we are doomed. Weve already outlived the time alotted most democracies. They would abhor secuarlism as it is espoused today.

OT....but what the heck.

as i said before this is why it seems to me that it would be obvious for you guys to re-write your constitution.
    a document, no matter or well it was written, loses it´s perspective after...let´s say 200 years and becomes outdated?.
    wouldn´t it be better to write a new one than to keep bashing each others in the head debating what the founding fathers "meant" and what they "believed"?
    not being coy here...just looking for an honest opinion.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Humbled Father Member Duke of Gloucester's Avatar

Papes contributions hit the nail on the head:

If it can be tested within the scientific framework, then teach it in a science class.

If it relies on something that is untestable then leave it to a religion class.
    To do otherwise is bad science AND bad religion.

Some additional points are worth noting:

Natural selection is NOT evolution. There is plenty of evidence for natural selection actually happening. Someone has already mention the white and black moths. The theory of evolution suggests that natural selection is responsible for the development of new sepcies. This was Darwins leap of imagination. The theory of evolution seeks to explain the fossil record showing life changing over time and becoming more complex, with new species appearing and others going extinct. It is elegant, simple, and it fits the evidence, which is why almost all biologists and paeleontoligists accept it.

It is also worth clarifying what scientists mean by "theory" and "law" because these terms have been bandied about in this thread.

Theory: In science: "A theory is an established paradigm that explains all or much of the data we have and offers valid predictions that can be tested. In science, a theory can never be proven true, because we can never assume we know all there is to know. Instead, theories remain standing until they are disproven, at which point they are thrown out altogether or modified to fit the additional data." (Wikipedia) (Paradigm - way of thinking). Some people suggest that the Theory of Evolution is not a valid theory because you can't make predictions about things that have already happened. I disagree, because you can predict, for example, the existance of missing evolutionary links and then see if fossils which match your predictions are found. In any case, I am not sure that the "predictions" bit is the key characteristic of a theory. The important part is the "explains much of the data we have".

Law: "a scientific generalization based on empirical observations" (Wikipedia again - a really useful resource!). Note it does not have to be "true" or "fact". Some laws, e.g. Ohm's law are only true in some situations, others are only approximately true and this only in certain circumastances (e.g Newtons 2nd Law of Motion - an excellent approximation at speeds much less than the speed of light)
    We all learn from experience. Unfortunately we don't all learn as much as we should.

If you teach ID, then you damn well teach alchemy and astrology (and the Great Spaghetti Monster too) in science as well.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BDC
    If you teach ID, then you damn well teach alchemy and astrology (and the Great Spaghetti Monster too) in science as well.
    well alchemy is already teached, but is now known as chemistry.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    The difference between Alchemy and Chemistry is that one produces results, the other doesn't.
    The basic issue in Alchemy is to mix different substances to get gold (probably silver too). Modern chemists knows that it's impossible to get gold in that way, but does instead mix different substances to get other substances.
    Not that big difference. Chemistry is basically modern alchemy. And chemistry is then gaining the advantages of more research and better equipment.

BTW you can create gold today, but that's in physics
    And very expensive.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Arguing that Intelligent Design and Evolution are the same meant arguing against the existence of god itself.

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

Just so you all know:

King's College (where the guy who wrote the original article at the top of this thread is provost) is the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of academia. It has not gotten full accreditation yet (only temorary extensions, for five years, and even that was hotly debated). They appear to have two programs: philosophy/politics/economics, and business. Whether this 'anthropologist' actually teaches, much less does research, in anthropology is anyone's guess. Note the provost is not an academic position.

In short, his credentials are about as weak as they can possibly be. How about getting some academic heavyweights to weigh in on this? Oh right, none of them give any credence to so-called 'intelligent design'. Why? Because theories that are not testable, verifiable or falsifiable by the scientific method are not scientific theories.
    Last edited by Hurin_Rules; 08-11-2005 at 06:27.
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

Alchemy was an allegorical occult art concerning the metaphysics of consciousness. The creation of Au (Gold) was only a side product of the process of spiritual transformation which occurred within the Alchemist himself. Incidentally, the birth of chemistry was also a side-effect of this art.

I'm with Gawain and Drone (et al): Creationism and evolution aren't mutually exclusive, and to think of them as such is myopic and a little bloodyminded.

As far as the week of creation in Genesis goes, the Aramaic word for "day" simply meant "period of time"...

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Are there any Hindus, Shintoists, or Buddhists here? I'm not very familiar with these religions, so I don't know how creation is dealt with for them. How can a state justify teaching ID/creationism if some of the students don't believe in a standard Judean/Christian/Islamic monotheistic religion? Or is this all part of a plan to lower the overall grade point averages of the Asian kids in our schools?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

How can a state justify teaching ID/creationism if some of the students don't believe in a standard Judean/Christian/Islamic monotheistic religion? Or is this all part of a plan to lower the overall grade point averages of the Asian kids in our schools?
    The same way you justify teaching evolution to fundementalists who dont beleive in it.

The same way you justify teaching evolution to fundementalists who dont beleive in it.
    True, but at least evolution offends all of the religions, and doesn't discriminate.

Edit-> Are you saying that science is using a loophole around the whole "separation of church and state" thing?
    Last edited by drone; 08-11-2005 at 16:46.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

True, but at least evolution offends all of the religions, and doesn't discriminate
    There were you go wrong. Many churchews and christains also believe in evo;ution. How many times must this be stated the two are not mutally uncompatible.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    True, but at least evolution offends all of the religions, and doesn't discriminate.

Edit-> Are you saying that science is using a loophole around the whole "separation of church and state" thing?
    You'd be hard pressed a more devoted follower of Christ, or a more die-hard supporter of the theory of evolution, then my 5th grade teacher, Brother Louis DeMars. Please stop saying Christian=Bob Jones because there's a wide, wide, wide range of opinions.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

There were you go wrong. Many churchews and christains also believe in evo;ution. How many times must this be stated the two are not mutally uncompatible.
    I stated myself in an earlier post that they do not have to be mutually exclusive. By "offend" I mean "runs counter to the literal belief structure". People of all religions can believe both, but only if they are open-minded about it. But a Shintoist is probably going to have a problem with creationism/ID on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    More support for ID - these are real, I swear it. Had you read my post above you could have found them yourself, btw. :

The arguement of:
    http://slate.com/id/2118320

and my absolute fave:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1051/1051_01.asp

This is what you are arguing in favor of.
    Christianity, is an extention of all former mythologys. For the transformation of heathens into christians, the formers gods had first to be supplimented by taking their concepts of creation, etc and turning them into the new-think. i.e - Nearly all mythologys have a great flood, a battle raging between good and evil in their heaven (Valhalla, Olympus, etc), and all have a summation on how the world (and man) were created.

ID, is a simple attempt to put religion in the classroom. While there is nothing wrong (as others have pointed out) in teaching the philosophies of religions - it is wrong to focus on one or to attempt to demonstrate how their is only one "true" religion. That is what the Taliban did - correct? Are we to become the Christian reversion of the Taliban? Or, remain sain.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    Christianity, is an extention of all former mythologys. For the transformation of heathens into christians, the formers gods had first to be supplimented by taking their concepts of creation, etc and turning them into the new-think. i.e - Nearly all mythologys have a great flood, a battle raging between good and evil in their heaven (Valhalla, Olympus, etc), and all have a summation on how the world (and man) were created.
    Get out of town! You mean religions try to explain things like creation and good vs. evil? Clearly they've all copied off of each other- what other reason could there be for them all attempting to explain such things?
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Well all religons took ideas from ones before them, or are similar for varying reasons. Christianity isn't unique in the fact that it borrowed ideas from other religons.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    For once I have to agree with Kafir. If you stufy ancient religions you can see how much of the bible resembles it. But this dosnt mean that god is made up. Just like science used to believe different things and they call them theories religons have changed and its called theology. But if you look just like science its built on what we have found to work. The fact that most religions are basiclly the same reinforces for me the idea that there is a god not diminishes it.

Again this is what I believe the founding fathers wanted. They didnt really care what god you believed in but they wanted the fear of god to be among the people. Its wrong to teach a specific religion over another.
    Last edited by Gawain of Orkeny; 08-11-2005 at 18:19.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    Well all religons took ideas from ones before them, or are similar for varying reasons. Christianity isn't unique in the fact that it borrowed ideas from other religons.
    You're absolutely right Steppe. It's amazing how much you know about us whacko Christians, no matter how hard we try to keep it secret. Why, just last week, my minister was working out the kinks in how to perform a human sacrafice atop a pyramid and dedicate the still beating heart to Quetzocuotal. Thank goodness she had that handy dandy 'How-to' guide left over from the Aztecs.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

And some of these same fundamentalists believe men have one less rib than women.

It has been the Creationists picking the fight. That was apparent to me when I was 14 and trying to sort all of this out in my head while still attending what other Christians called a "holy roller" church.

We don't need to be requiring the teaching of religion in science classes anymore than we need to be requiring churches to teach science.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast