Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christian Club

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

Default Christian Club

well seeing as we have the conservatives, the lefties etc, thought why not have a place for the christian community to get together at the org and discuss things.

Criteria: you must beleive that christ has died for your sins, and we are forgiven, leading to eternal life with God when this life comes to an end.

Aim: to discuss life as a christian, share whats happening in the world, discussing things from a christian veiwpoint and getting to know each other, and also to help each other through any struggles or hardships

Just a request to moderators, please delete any anti-christian BS, its not welcome, we arent here to impose this that or whatever, we are here cus we have a common interest, and if people want to flame they can take that someplace else

(scrapping the members list for now)
    Last edited by Alrowan; 08-10-2005 at 02:20.
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Re: Christian Club

What is the criteria for joining this club? Do you have to believe that Christ is the savoir of mankind or is believing in his teachings and acting like a christain good enough?
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

what is the criteria, I try to follow the bible but I am not always very succesful
    Formerly ceasar010

criteria is that you believe that christ has come as the saviour of mankind, that we might have eternal life

the rest (acting christian etc usually comes with that, but like all of us we struggle)

Oh well then I guess I dont qualify.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alrowan
    Just a request to moderators, please delete any anti-christian BS, its not welcome
    Trolling and/or baiting will be treated appropriately - no matter whether it comes from a Christian or from a non-Christian.

There will be no posting restrictions for non-members though, but I expect everybody to respect the intentions of this club/thread

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Well, Alrowan, I DO believe that Christ is the savior of the world, and I DO believe He saved me, personally. But I don't know if I buy that you cannot call yourself a Christian if you don't believe that. I know that's what the evangelist branch of Christianity believes, but all things being equal, I think it'd be more important to include people in a discussion about Jesus then excluding them. If people are curious, but haven't been saved, why turn them away?

What are your views on salvation? Do you take a 'faith alone' perspective, like the Baptists? That even John Wayne Gacey, who claimed to accept Christ while in prison, was saved? I don't. It must be that Catholic upbringing (I'm Methodist now) but I just cannot accept that a God who is infinite justice would reward a sadistic SOB like that. I believe Christ earned you your salvation, but if you're not careful, you can un-earn it. I lean more towards the teachings of St. Peter over St. Paul (and even St. Paul has some writings where he admonishes us that continuing to live as the slaves of sin after accepting Christ leads to the final end of a slave of sin). Thoughts?
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 08-09-2005 at 18:44.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Well i guess I will join but not all my views are very christian,(example I want the death penalty for burglars rapist muderers etc)
    Formerly ceasar010

Well i guess I will join but not all my views are very christian,(example I want the death penalty for burglars rapist muderers etc)
    You dont think that the death penalty for burglary is a bit extreme?

, I think it'd be more important to include people in a discussion about Jesus then excluding them. If people are curious, but haven't been saved, why turn them away?
    Here Here. I believe in Christs teachings but Im not convinced he was God . What does that make me?

Being a Christian is a very personal thing. Christ himself never actually used that exact term, though He did talk about His followers at several points. I think we all fall short of that mark, though He said we would, and it was the trying that was important.

In any case, I don't think any person can tell another they are or are not a Christian. To steal a line from the Matrix, it's like being in love. Actually, it is being in love, but a different sort of love (love of God & love of fellow man verus love of a woman). But only you and Jesus know what sort of relationship the two of you have, and I think it's dangerous for anyone to go telling another somebody else they're not a real Christian. Something about millstones....

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

well as far as people posting, anyone is free to join in, also Don Corleone the fact that you accept christ as your saviour is the essense of christianity, therefore elliglble enoguh to be a member of the "club" so to speak

and ceasar, as for you, thats fine that you believe that, it might not be in line with christs teachings, but perhaps you are still learning forgivness, heck it is hard

Well think about it. I know a few people whose house was robbed they don't even feel safe in there own homes they feel violated and that will be with them for the rest of their lives. Maybe death is extreme, But I do know that we aren't near as harsh as we should be on burglars.
    Formerly ceasar010

Don your posts keep getting better and better. I will put money on it right now that you would or should be made a senior member in the near future. To think og it having a Godfather as one of our most respected members. What will become of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Here Here. I believe in Christs teachings but Im not convinced he was God . What does that make me?
    ok here is a quick convincing, if you beleive in christs teachings, when he admits being the son of god, if you accept his teachings as truth, then you will have to accept this.. well thats the short of it, what it comes down to is faith, heck we all need more faith, pray maybe for understanding and insight, might help out in understanding this and accepting it as well

edit:
    ack re-read, you had trouble accepting he WAS god, yeah thats a tough one, but same advice goes as what i posted, i guess pray/talk to others for understanding/knowledge
    Last edited by Alrowan; 08-09-2005 at 18:57.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    But only you and Jesus know what sort of relationship the two of you have

well as far as people posting, anyone is free to join in
    Can I join? It'll be like the old days.

ok here is a quick convincing, if you beleive in christs teachings, when he admits being the son of god, if you accept his teachings as truth, then you will have to accept this.
    How so? I also believe I am the son of god? But I am no god.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince

Can I join? It'll be like the old days.
    is christ your saviour

i said anyone can join in the conversations, bu please be open minded and accept that the group here does have a common belief

How so? I also believe I am the son of god? But I am no god.
    ahh here is a nice deep conundrum, in accepting christ as saviour we are aopted as Gods children, and we live IN christ, and Christ IN us, we are temples for him, and are filled with the Holy Spirit. Now there is a point someplace in the bible where it does state we are seated with christ in heaven at the right hand of the father, but it gets confusing, even for a christian of 10 years

Then it should be called the evangelists club not the christain club.

ok here is a quick convincing, if you beleive in christs teachings, when he admits being the son of god, if you accept his teachings as truth, then you will have to accept this.. well thats the short of it, what it comes down to is faith, heck we all need more faith, pray maybe for understanding and insight, might help out in understanding this and accepting it as well

edit:
    ack re-read, you had trouble accepting he WAS god, yeah thats a tough one, but same advice goes as what i posted, i guess pray/talk to others for understanding/knowledge
    He said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. He who believes in Me will never die". He also said "Nobody can get to the father but through me". While both of those statements make it clear that He is declaring Himself to be part of the Trinity (well, actually, the Trinity is a human construct, God simply IS) but nowhere in that did He say "You must believe that I am the son of God". He just says that He is.

As a matter of fact, He said the two most important things in life didn't even concern Him: "Love the Lord God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind. And love your neighbor as you love yourself". Nowhere did He say "and make certain you shun people who claim I wasn't divine". In fact, He even said "Those who speak against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but those who speak against the Holy Spirit cannot be forgiven". That makes perfect sense, as the Holy Spirit is, for lack of a better definiton, the physical and spiritual embodiment of God's love. To blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, you would have to teach that God doesn't love His children, and that would be pretty unforgivable in my book.

Strike for the South

Is this a place for catholics methodist baptist etc or just for evangelists.
    Formerly ceasar010

its for christians from all walks...

ie those who have accepted christ as thier savior (the rest is just down to interpretation, but that is the clinchpin of it all)

ie those who have accepted christ as thier savior
    So this is what now constitues a christain? I think Don pretty much disproved that. Statements like your nave made my deny my christianity and have driven many others from this religion.

I believe in Christs teachings but Im not convinced he was God . What does that make me?
    Muslim!
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

So this is what now constitues a christain? I think Don pretty much disproved that. Statements like your nave made my deny my christianity and have driven many others from this religion.

according to the Bible, if one does not accept Christ's death as a substitute for one being eternally damned to Hell - as payment for one's sins - then one is not Christian

original poster has the right idea with his club. it's pretty low for everyone to criticsize him for that. accepting what he has stated is essential to being Christian

Navaros, where exactly does Jesus say if you don't believe He was your personal savior, you are condemned to Hell? And I'm not criticizing anybody, I take a different view of what it means to be a Christian than Alrowan and you do. I suggest you go back and re-read Matthew 5:43-47. Might offer some insight on what He had to say on the matter.

Other passages that deserve more than a passing glance:

Matthew 7:1-5
    Matthew 9:12-13
    Mark 9:42
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 08-09-2005 at 20:40.

Strike for the South

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Being a Christian is a very personal thing. Christ himself never actually used that exact term, though He did talk about His followers at several points. I think we all fall short of that mark, though He said we would, and it was the trying that was important.

In any case, I don't think any person can tell another they are or are not a Christian. To steal a line from the Matrix, it's like being in love. Actually, it is being in love, but a different sort of love (love of God & love of fellow man verus love of a woman). But only you and Jesus know what sort of relationship the two of you have, and I think it's dangerous for anyone to go telling another somebody else they're not a real Christian. Something about millstones....
    Somebody gimme hallelujah!

I have to tell you Don, I admire that point of view.

If all Christians shared such an unjudgmental, tolerant attitude (and don't get me wrong, I know plenty of other Christians who do), not only would we heretics/agnostics/atheists/whatever-you-want-to-call-us's have very few things to criticize you about, but you'd probably even convince a good many of us to join the flock.

"What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

A good club, but then again Christianity itself is a good club to be a part of.

I do not regularly attend Church and although I am baptised and confirmed by the Church of England, I do not consider myself to belong to any particular denomination of Chrstianity. I'd rather just consider myself a Christian.

My belief in the Bible stands that it is as an extended metaphor. The stories are all most likely based on truth, although the actually events themselves may have been simplified or mystified to increase their likelyhood of being remembered. I believe that Jesus was a real person and that he was a spiritual teacher, who was crucified for his radical beliefs by the Romans and was not protected because his views did not conform to the Jewish expectation for their messiah. Again, as a student of history, I know he was not born in 0 A.D but probably half a century later - this fact does not shake my belief in the message. The message is good and true.

My non-denominational Christian belief also extends to Jews and Muslims, we are brothers and have the same message, just told in a different way.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

I dont think i qualify in this club.And i think highly about Christian values like mercy.But i dont believe in single religion over any other.I think that Jahwe, Allah,Christ and Buddha are really the same God.Who is one and sametime all.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

And i think highly about Christian values like mercy.But i dont believe in single religion over any other.I think that Jahwe, Allah,Christ and Buddha are really the same God.
    I am a Christian and I feel the same.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast