Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: good or evil

Default Re: good or evil

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    *scratches scab*

Good and evil are intertwined with politics and economics, that is, if good and evil exists. Maybe everything that hapens needs to be accepted for what it is. Plain and simple. Someone stabs someone with a knife, that just what someone did. Someone else helps an eldelry person cross the street, that's just what he did. What a person does is their responsibility, and it's unfear to label things good or evil, because it demeans the choice a person has made.

Aww I'm bleeding on my keaboard now...
    But, then wouldn't demeaning a person because of the choices they have made be just a choice someone makes? So how can it be unfair? Unless you have a benchmark for what is, and is not fair. And we are back to good-evil or good-bad, or whatever you care to call it.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Ok, I'll bite. I believe that man is born neutral and it is the choices they make that determine whether they are good or evil.

But, while on the subject, what exactly is good and evil? For example what would you say cannibalism is? I can't remeber seeing anything about it in the bible and it definately occurs in nature but man seems to regard it as evil.

I would say that good and evil are concepts and vary from person to person.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Concepts such as good and evil are just that - concepts.

I would broadly go along with 1pain1duck:

I believe that no human is either good or evil at the core. I also believe that no action is originally either evil or good, but the evil/good-part is added by others according to how it affects them.
    I also don't believe that humans are fundamentally selfish. Quite the opposite. Look around you - you are surrounded by the proof of it! The products, cities, civilisations surrounding you are a testament to how much humans seek out cooperation. Yes there is a struggle between what people put into that cooperation and what they get out of it (economics) and a struggle with organisation and what that cooperation is supposed to achieve (politics) - but overall we are social animals.

An alien looking down from space would find the comment 'we are all individuals' to be very amusing.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharrukin
    But, then wouldn't demeaning a person because of the choices they have made be just a choice someone makes? So how can it be unfair? Unless you have a benchmark for what is, and is not fair. And we are back to good-evil or good-bad, or whatever you care to call it.
    Yeah, EVERYONE has their own version of what one and the other is. That's the point. It's unfair to judge people based on that. You should rather be judging them in a this way:

o the harm society with their actions?~
    A)Yes.
    B)No.

There can only be one answer to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Yeah, EVERYONE has their own version of what one and the other is. That's the point. It's unfair to judge people based on that. You should rather be judging them in a this way:

o the harm society with their actions?~
    A)Yes.
    B)No.

There can only be one answer to this.
    You are attempting to impose your morality on me by demanding that we all follow your concepts of good and evil!

Well I have my own concepts of good and evil and they don't put society first but rather the individual. And my neighbour thinks God should come first.

Who are you to be telling us how we should judge people?
    See link (Who gets to "impose morality"?)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=52216

Your fair and unfair is different from good and evil in what way?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12