Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The real meaning of Liberial (sic) and Conservative

Naughty Little Hippy Senior Member Tachikaze's Avatar

Default Re: The real meaning of Liberial (sic) and Conservative

There's always librul.

Screw luxury; resist convenience.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Complaining about unfair criticism and blanket generalizations, all the while stooping to making fun of people's spelling and... making blanket generalizations.
    There's lots of that in here, to be sure, from people of many different ideologies.

My point is simple. When we seek to understand other points of view, and we allow our own views to grow and improve as a result of that, then we make progress. When we use labels to demonize others and polarize the conversation, then we have accomplished little more than squabbling.

There are legitimate cases of us and them, but we should seek to find the middle, the high ground, and save the fighting for times when it is necessary.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Labeling, is a time honored method for one political opponent to slander his adversary.

That the term "liberal" is now equated with weakness, communism, moral corruption, anti-church, anti-freedom of life (never use the term PRO, when slandering an opponent - it gives a more possitive slant to their arguement, only use PRO when describing your own possition. Unless of course it is something like; they are PROTERRORISTS, pro-gays, pro-scareything), anti-IntelligentDesign, anti-war, anti-soldiers, anti-family values (my personal fave), and all the other anti's that the right proclaims the misguided that oppose them are. Where as, all their values are listed as pro (except of course pro-choice, where they don't mind using the anti-abortion slogan), or possitive for the betterment of Americans and the world.

Labeling is fun, and turning or twisting what the other side is actually saying is even more enjoyable. We can all do this. It is the old kettle and pot crap that some love to bring up - but, never adhere to. Or, the item by item analogies some like to use to discredit a point of view they find offensive - to me it is just annoying when someone discredits an entire line of thought with a cursory one line statement that is somehow suppose to be an answer in itself - versus actually putting some thought into it, or even addressing the question imposed honestly. Or, even worse using some Http from a slanted source as support for their answer.

When in doubt demonize or portray your opponent as an extremist or even a liar. Liar is best, especially if they are a war hero (eg, McGovern, Kerry, Kennedy, McCain, or the boy that just lost the election in Ohio). But, in a pinch demonizing works - take the LBJ ad against Goldwater as the best example (little girl turning into a mushroom cloud - it has been employed ever since - remember the Dukakis in the tank), or demonizing an entire political movement by selecting a few emotional items is even better. Ignore the possitive, always highlite the negative. If there are no negatives, create them with false testimony (i.e. The Boat people against Kerry, the inventive documents on Bush43's service - someone will believed them), or by taking things out of context. Also, run an investigation against them - do so for as long as it takes to come up with something (even if the original premise was found to be untrue). - sooner or later someone will find something (humans being what they are).

Be firm, never change your mind about something. If you believe that your side is all good - the other all bad. Label them, so all know your misconceptions and intolerance for their views. Be sure to associate them with someone in history that few can defend (or even want to). Hitler, has been over used - use Gerbels, or Nixon, or Hoover instead. Stalin, has been over used also - use FDR, or Kennedy (only refer to his sex life tho - never his accomplshments, same with Clinton and Carter), or Castro (associating your opponent with him is always a good ploy - guarantees the Miami Cuban voters), or alQuada (if you can't really associate them with them, just say they aren't strong enough to deal with them - that seems to work).

Regardless, of ones political, social, moral, or ethical leanings - labeling is a sure fire method to demonize "them", while reassuring your own minions that what they believe is the only true path to godly perfection. Those heathens will rue the day they ever tried to define their own moral worth.

To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Ah, they are too many librarians in the world.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

KafirChobee - If I ever run for election I'll hire you as head of propaganda!
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Idaho, your on.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12