Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PETA shows themselves to be a bunch of twits... again

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default PETA shows themselves to be a bunch of twits... again

Ya know, I actually hesitated in posting this since they're such an easy target. But honestly, this latest campaign is almost jaw-dropping. I'm not goin to post a link to a news story- you can see it yourself from their website if you're interested.
    http://www.peta.org/AnimalLiberation/display.asp
    Yes, that's right- they're actually comparing animals to slavery and the civil rights movement. *sigh*
    Last edited by Xiahou; 08-13-2005 at 00:12.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: PETA shows themselves to be a bunch of twits... again

This isn't new. A couple of PETA speakers came to my school(we have a vegan club lead by some radical vegan) and made the comparison. Had a turey sandwich for lunch that day.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

I hate these people they threaten my way of of life....They are trying to ban one of my favorite pass times dove hunting

And they support terriosm (i spelled it wrong) it says so in their faq.
    Formerly ceasar010

That's retarded, everyone knows the only reason PETA members don't hurt animals is because they want to make bestiality legal.

EDIT: And support terrorism.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

peta ends my hunting/livestock I end PETA
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Here's an excerpt from an article from a local paper....
    Other images in the exhibit included: A photo of a Holocaust victim juxtaposed with an image of a cowed monkey in a research lab and a photo of a black civil rights worker being beaten by a gang next to a seal getting beaten for its fur. Another sequence shows a drawing of a black slave being branded alongside a photo of a cow being branded.
    LINK
    This is just unbelievable to me...
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Why not jump on the civil rights band wagon? Look how successful the gays have been comparing themselves to the blacks circa 1960.

i support animal rights

a wise man once said: "animals are people too"

it's true.

animals are sentient beings, and important. therefore animals should be treated with respect and humanity

the common excsuse "we are better than animals therefore we should torture them and that is fine and dandy" is disgusting and anyone who believes in that philosophy should be ashamed of himself or herself

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Navaros
    i support animal rights

it's true.

animals are sentient beings, and important. therefore animals should be treated with respect and humanity

the common excsuse "we are better than animals therefore we should torture them and that is fine and dandy" is disgusting and anyone who believes in that philosophy should be ashamed of himself or herself
    I second that.....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

i support animal rights

it's true.

Are you a vegatarian??

God gave us dominion over animals that does not mean we can torture them but we are able to eat them have pets etc.
    Formerly ceasar010

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I took their poll, left my email as animals_are_not_morally_equivalent_to_humans(AT)commonsense.com

Oh, and let's not forget that PETA people are quite possibly the worst hypocrites on the planet.

Ah, the joy of being a hypocrite. It's bad for others to eat humanely killed cows, but it's okay for PETA to go to animal shelters and take a bunch of animals and throw them in dumpsters to die.

(all the links deal with the same incident, but different news sources and articles, except for the last link ('planet') which is a summary of PETA's euthanizations.)

A choice tidbit:
    In 2003 PETA euthanized over 85 percent of the animals it took in, finding adoptive homes for just 14 percent. By comparison, the Norfolk SPCA found adoptive homes for 73 percent of its animals and the Virginia Beach SPCA adopted out 66 percent. PETA’s required report documenting its 2004 record is currently over 4 weeks late.
    Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

PETA has a good idea, but don't do the right things at the right time. They aim to high. I prefer the ASPCA, myself.

People are animals too, and animals do have feelings. But just as animals eat other animals, people can eat animals, as long as it is done humanely.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Peta disagrees with you and me having pets steppe, what do you think of that?
    Formerly ceasar010

Well I think that is stupid. I provide a far better home for my dogs and cats than they could in the wild. It's a dumb idea in theory, but it is litterally impossible to not have pets without murdering thousands and thousands of animals.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

How can you justify the millions of dollars of property damage caused by the Animal Liberation Front (ALF)?”

Throughout history, some people have felt the need to break the law to fight injustice. The Underground Railroad and the French Resistance are examples of movements in which people broke the law in order to answer to a higher morality. The ALF, which is simply the name adopted by people who act illegally in behalf of animal rights, breaks inanimate objects such as stereotaxic devices and decapitators in order to save lives. ALF members burn empty buildings in which animals are tortured and killed. ALF “raids” have given us proof of horrific cruelty that would not have otherwise been discovered or believed and have resulted in criminal charges’ being filed against laboratories for violations of the Animal Welfare Act. Often, ALF raids have been followed by widespread scientific condemnation of the practices occurring in the targeted labs, and some abusive laboratories have been permanently shut down as a result.
    PETA SUPPORTS TERRORIST.
    Last edited by scooter_the_shooter; 08-13-2005 at 17:40.
    Formerly ceasar010

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: PETA shows themselves to be a bunch of twits... again

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    PETA SUPPORTS TERRORIST.

it might come as a shock to you....but a lot of people over history have supported terrorism when it suited their opinions/policy.....even people that you probably support and look up to....since 9/11 it has become extremely non PC to admit it tough...

nonetheless PETA are still morons for taking a good general idea and taking it too far......"people aren´t suposed to have pets"...WTH??
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 08-13-2005 at 19:28.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Yeah, PETA is pretty damn messed up. I have no problem with having pets, I have no problem with eating meat. I do have a problem with factory farms though, only place where me and PETA cross, but then I just get my meat free range and kosher so I don't need PETA to change fight that.
    Last edited by JimBob; 08-13-2005 at 18:44. Reason: how did I misspell "meat" I mean come on.
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Hm?

We don't treat most people with respect, what makes you think we should care about what animals feel.

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Hm?

We don't treat most people with respect, what makes you think we should care about what animals feel.
    Because 'is' and 'ought' are two different things.
    But honestly, as an animal rights supporter, I think PETA are actually a threat to the animal rights movement. I have no problems with controversial comparisons, what is far worse is that they use every sort of lie if they see fit.

Heh, PETA make me laugh. Silly extremists.

Anyone read up about a new way of growing animal meat in labs for consumption? Wonder what PETA think of that...

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.Saturnus
    Because 'is' and 'ought' are two different things.
    Why? No one used the word ought.

Ok, why ought we to care about animal welfare? Hm? Have you ever been taught about a thing called the food chain, and that they would eat us if we didn't have a superior brain?

I don't see a difference in what we are doing in our controlled environements and what animals do in nature. We both survive. The choice to eat only grass is nothing new. Many people's have survived on only leaves and grasses and many have survived purely on animal products. There's always been a choice and people have always chosen the more reasonable one depending on where they live.

This world has huge food circulation problems. People are barely surviving eating what they can find in the dumbster most of the time. Can we really ask people all over the world to respect animals because they are "persons"? No philosophy supports such an idea IIRC.

BP

Respecting is different from not eating. You can respect a cow by not having it in a very very small cage and feeding it crap just to make it fat.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

I had a discussion with an activist.

Me: So you don't eat any meat, because animals have feelings ?

Activist: Yes, that is right.

Me: But don't vegetables and fruits have feelings and can feel pain as well ??

Activist: Of course they have, they are living things too....

Me: So what can you eat then ??

Activist: For example Pizza.......

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Have you ever been taught about a thing called the food chain, and that they would eat us if we didn't have a superior brain?
    They eat us regardless of who is smarter.

Just to be a successful predator it is an advantage to be smarter.

Part of the very thing that has made us successful is our intelligence which was honed in the heat of the hunt. To deny us meat is to deny us.

On the other hand I do not see any point (logically or emotionally) in inhumanely treating animals be they prey or pet.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmolsson
    I had a discussion with an activist.

Me: So you don't eat any meat, because animals have feelings ?

Activist: Yes, that is right.

Me: But don't vegetables and fruits have feelings and can feel pain as well ??

Activist: Of course they have, they are living things too....

Me: So what can you eat then ??

Activist: For example Pizza.......

i´m hoping that after that intelectual exchange you grabbed the guy and bashed his head against a wall.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    i´m hoping that after that intelectual exchange you grabbed the guy and bashed his head against a wall.
    Actually it was a girl and we had a pizza followed by insane sex, so I can't say I didn't enjoy the exchange.......

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

So she was a man eater
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I looked at the web site, I saw no way to e-mail them, I was going to tell them that my Dog and I enjoyed the site while we were eating our steaks.
    What, you never seen a Polock in Viking Armor on a Camel?

Do PETA people ever listen to themselves talk, or do they just zone in and out?
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

http://maddox.xmission.com/sponsor.html

I'm not a Maddox fan, but he has some points!
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast