• Kagemusha you old drunk get a grip of your life

5 25.00%
  • You are just exhausted

9 45.00%
  • GAH!

6 30.00%

Thread: Do you guys have experienced this

Default Do you guys have experienced this

I just woke up,and realized that i have been sleeping for six hours sitting by my computer.Im working at IT related business and we had an meeting last night,because we are thinking of bying the firm that im working to.The meeting turned out to an all out drinking last night.I dont know if this is work related problem of exhaustion or drinking problem.What do you guys think?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Default Re: Do you guys have experienced this

If your falling asleep at work - you need more rest at home. Where I work sleeping on the job gets you a warning and a promise that the next time they catch you sleeping - you get to go home for good.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

I was at home.Just fell a sleep on a armchair infront of my computer.I dont have working hours.When i have made my work for a day.I can go home.That means that on a very peacefull day i only work for few hours,but on a nightmare days which have been plentifull lately i work over 14 hours
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 08-13-2005 at 16:51. Reason: adding information.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Do you guys have experienced this

i work with computers too....never actually fell a sleep on the chair in from of the computer...but at home i have decided to "take a 5 minute break" from a work i was doing sat down in the sofa and didn´t woke up til the next morning.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha
    I just woke up,and realized that i have been sleeping for six hours sitting by my computer.Im working at IT related business and we had an meeting last night,because we are thinking of bying the firm that im working to.The meeting turned out to an all out drinking last night.I dont know if this is work related problem of exhaustion or drinking problem.What do you guys think?
    Six minutes, no sweat -- happens to all of us. But six hours slumped in a chair is far too much and evidence of serious exhaustion. Lay off the booze, get a life outside of your working hours (preferably raunchy sex, no better way to put your mind off work) and make sure you get some serious sleep.

And I ain't joking.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Thanks for the advice Adrian II.I trye to slow down a bit.I think the one reason why i have been concentrating on work and partying is that im single now.I separated last spring from a serious 4 years relationship with my girlfriend.(We lived together almost the whole time).Since then it has been Work and partying for me.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Is this a one-time occurrence, or does it happen repeatedly?

Sounds like you're living a full life; one thing that I have found is that it is quite easy to drink just a little less and have just as much, if not more, fun. And try to get a good sleep once or twice each month, you'll feel better and live longer.

But falling asleep in a chair after a long hard day and night isn't anything to lose sleep over (sorry, bad pun)

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    Is this a one-time occurrence, or does it happen repeatedly?

Sounds like you're living a full life; one thing that I have found is that it is quite easy to drink just a little less and have just as much, if not more, fun. And try to get a good sleep once or twice each month, you'll feel better and live longer.

But falling asleep in a chair after a long hard day and night isn't anything to lose sleep over (sorry, bad pun)

ichi
    It has happened few times before.But i still sleep more in my bed then armchair.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Then maybe not a big problem, only a warning sign.

At work we have a saying, Never stand when you can sit,
    never sit when you can lay down, sleep every chance you get
    . We can work from 6 to midnight for days on end, altho new safety rules are now limiting our hours when it is an emergency we do what we have to do.

I know guys who can sleep sitting up, and its not uncommon to start eating our lunches and fall asleep with the meal unfinished (which is nice it leaves a snack for the afternoon).

So sleeping at your comp isn't too awful; if you told me you fell asleep on the toilet then I'd be more worried.

Like I said, seems like you're living a full life. Nothing wrong with that.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Thanks Ichi.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Yeah. Experienced it.

I was in a vacation homework(yeah, at school, in Romania, we have that), and I wrote about 15 pages the whole day, and I needed a 10 minute break. I was extremely tired, about 9:00PM and I still had a long way to go. Went in my bed for a 10 minute break, and I woke up when my mum said: "Wake up". I fallen asleep and I still had to do very much work to do!!!! But,fortunately, my romanian teacher was kind and she didn't give me a D for it.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I came across Swordsmaster's fitness course (it's in the Frontroom) and I thought his remarks on sleep might be useful to you. Mind you, Swordsmaster prescribes at least six hours of uninterrupted sleep, but not in a chair.

From Swordsmaster's fitness course:

Today: Sleep

So what are the symptoms of sleep deprivation?

* Drowsiness
    * Forgetfulness
    * Weight gain
    * Mood shifts ranging from depression to being irritable.
    * Reduced immunity to disease
    * Reduced ability to think logically and analyze new information
    * Reduced vocabulary
    * Reduced motor skills and coordination
    * Decreased reaction time
    * Decreased stamina and energy

- Now add all these up together and now imagine trying to break a plateau -

But what is the worst part about sleep deprivation?

After the first 3-4 hours of sleep your body releases 60-90% of your daily GH (Growth Hormone) amount. So short cutting sleep obviously spells your doom.

Growth Hormone is responsible for the growth of your bones and muscles. It also prepares fat for energy use and spares lean body mass. In regards to muscle growth it causes muscle cells to increase protein synthesis, decrease protein breakdown, increase amino acid uptake in muscular tissue, and divide. Basically it causes growth of muscle and bone tissue.

Is that it? No, decreased levels of GH indicate a drop in your body's ability to metabolize glucose, this means fat is not metabolized at it's peak rate; Your exercise capability is reduced as well as your muscle mass.

Another negative effect of decreased GH levels is a weakened immune system. GH stimulates bone marrow growth which boosts the immune system function. A lack of sleep will slow the growth and repair of this tissue; Studies have also indicated that a lack of sleep will reduce your white blood cell count down a good margin.

Finally sleep deprivation increases levels of cortisol in the body the next day. But what the hell is cortisol? It's the 'Stress Hormone', it's your opponent on the road to increased gains in your physical endeavors. Med definition is - The major adrenal glucocorticoid, stimulates conversion of proteins to carbohydrates, raises blood sugar levels and promotes glycogen storage in the liver. To make it simple for you cortisol causes hyper tension, stress, and synthesizes the amino acids in your muscles to fuel more vital organs (like lungs, heart, brain). In excessive amounts It can cause memory impairments, restrict tissue repair, and increase insulin resistance. It's nasty! Furthermore, elevated cortisol levels have been identified in patients with adrenal tumors. Cancer is not the sex.

More interesting facts I have stumbled upon -

* Athletes who only get 6-7 hours of sleep a night have to work twice as hard to process the same amount of fuel. This means less fat loss and less energy for your workouts.
    * If you're not getting the right amount of sleep your body will be in a catabolic state all day long. How catabolic? Multiply it by two post workout
    * We cannot adapt to less sleep, overtime a 'sleep debt' will start accumulating. Too little sleep will have a direct connection to a loss of intensity in your workouts
    * 6 hours of un-broken sleep is better than getting 8 hours of broken sleep. The reason this is true is because if we cannot sleep without being awoken our bodies do not progress through the 5 cycles of sleep as it should.

There is always something you can be doing better, sleep is an easy one to start with. So how much sleep do you need? On average younger people between the ages of 12-25 need more than adults. We need between 8.5 and 9.25 hours of sleep per night. Harder working athletes will require more than that! It's easy to figure out exactly how much sleep you need. Go to bed, and wake up! Figure out how many hours passed while you were asleep and 'voila', you now know how much sleep you should be getting each night.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

oh dear, I need to get more sleep

I can't sleep 9,25 hours even if I wanted to.... 6-7 hours is the max for me....

Quote Originally Posted by bmolsson
    I can't sleep 9,25 hours even if I wanted to.... 6-7 hours is the max for me....
    Two wives, yet you are not a 'hard-working athlete' as per Swordsmaster's criterium? Hmm.

I get plenty of sleep. Varying from 9-14 hours a day
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Quote Originally Posted by Sjakihata
    I get plenty of sleep. Varying from 9-14 hours a day
    Good for you, but it doesn't answer Kagemusha's question in any way. What is the secret to your 14 hours of sleep?