Poll: How much do pictures like this affect you?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much do pictures like this effect you?

Default Re: How much do pictures like this effect you?

He is an INSURGENT......do you get upset when you hear about dead nazis.
    Formerly ceasar010

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

How the hell do you know he's an insergent? Besides, not all of the insurgents are the evil nutty kind. Many are remanants from the Republican Guard, who while aren't any angels are different from the radical Muslims that are in Iraq.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

If they shot him he had to be resisting or grabbing for a gun/knife etc. I dont feel sorry at all.
    Formerly ceasar010

So according to you, no soldier ever killed an innocent, unarmed civilian? The soldier is always right?
    And even if he was armed, his kids now have no parent. That sucks, to say the least.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

It is a war there will be accidents and a few crimes....there is no way to change that.....MAYBE INSTEAD OF CARING ABOUT THE INSURGENT you should care about the american children who were turned into orphans because of that insurgent you seem to like so much.
    Formerly ceasar010

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: How much do pictures like this effect you?

It is a scene of two kids immediately after their parents had been shot by soldiers.

What does this do to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    They should be happy we didn't bomb the whole house like we did in the old days. But that is what we get for avoiding civilian casualties. The middle finger and old F*U*.
    I find this a bit insensitive of you. Assuming that the byline is correct these kids saw their parents being been shot before their very eyes. They will now grow up as orphans in a war-torn country (i.e. they're pretty much scr@w@d).

I wouldn't care if these are Adolf Hitler's children themselves. They're innocent children whose life is ruined. That's a tragedy. Not a reason for tough macho talk.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Blame the father he was an insurgent....maybe he should have thought about those children before he went to go play rebel.
    Formerly ceasar010

Insurgent... A man fighting for his freedom and his country. But unfortunately, the USA is the enemy, so he is insurgent. And if he is in fact an insurgent, does that render his cause invalid? Hell no, can you remember a very young country, fighting against a superior power - where the battles have been glorified? I bet you can

*hint* the "Revolution
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    Blame the father he was an insurgent....maybe he should have thought about those children before he went to go play rebel.

The problem ceasar010 is that the caption on the picture as described by Idaho does not provide the details of the reason why behind the event that the picture is showing.

Was the man an insurgent - that would be an assumption that one can come to based upon previous accounts.

Was the man an innocent civilian shot accidently by the soldiers - another assumption that can come from other previous accounts.

Was it an innoncent civilian shot on purpose - highly doubtful.

The point of the picture is to get the reader or in this case the viewer of the picture to have an emotional reaction concerning the kids. What would be interesting is if Idaho linked or posted the story that went along with the photo. But that is not what he was after - he wanted to see how people reacted to the photo itself primarily based upon a simple statement of why the photo was taken.

In that aspect - I had a strong reaction because of the children involved.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Louis IV the Fat
    What do you suggest that the soldiers should have done?
    Last edited by Mongoose; 08-15-2005 at 18:32.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

This is so silly. Wehn there is a fire fight you try to kill the enemy. You cant wonder if he has a wife or children. Its very disturbing later on however when you take the personal effects off a dead enemy and realise he had a wife and kids just like you and in reality is another human being. These pictures are disturbing to soldiers. You do your duty and then face the consequences. Being a soldier once more is a dirty job but someone has to do it. There will always be such children as long as war and violence exist.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

My answer.I dont like it.I dont like to look at suffering children,it doesnt matter where are they from.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    Louis IV the Fat

Exactly what they did.
    Formerly ceasar010

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Voted "Has an impact - find quite upsetting thinking about those kids."

Ever since my son was born, I find I have very little emotional resistance to any photos/stories/whatever having to do with children experiencing trauma of any kind. No matter what, my mind always juxtaposes images of my own child in the same situation, inspiring within me a nasty combination of rage, fury, and sadness beyond anything that the "pre-fatherhood" me was ever able to imagine.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Hmmm. You said something before that relates to that statement, let me see, where was it? Oh yes:

MAYBE INSTEAD OF CARING ABOUT THE INSURGENT you should care about the american children who were turned into orphans because of that insurgent you seem to like so much.
    So, are we not to feel sorry for the American orphan because maybe his dad should have "thought about his children before he decided to go play U.S. Marine?"

Gimme a break. Whether the parents made good decisions or bad, children who have lost their parents are deserving of all the empathy and care we can extend to them.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

I get very sad for the kids.
    I always do... (bleeding heart type)
    I have no child of my own as yet. (until January)

In this case I also get mad at the so-and-sos who start a bloody bloody war for no good reason.
    Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
    Paul Peru: Holier than thy bucket!

It is a war there will be accidents and a few crimes....there is no way to change that.....MAYBE INSTEAD OF CARING ABOUT THE INSURGENT you should care about the american children who were turned into orphans because of that insurgent you seem to like so much.
    That's incredible!
    I think I'll start another poll or something about the value of human life...
    Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
    Paul Peru: Holier than thy bucket!

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: How much do pictures like this effect you?

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    I suggest they do what they should've done in their situation.

What I deplore is the tragedy that befell two innocent children. This is not what a small child should have to endure.

It doesn't even matter if their parents are the world's most dangerous terrorists or just 'abdullah average and his wife' peacefully minding their own bussiness.

I feel sorry for them. I feel sorry for children crying in fear in the burning ruins of Dresden. I feel sorry for children in Ohio, their mother in tears telling them their father will not return from Iraq.

That is the true face of war. A human tragedy.

Some things are worth fighting for, going to war for. I'm not a tree-huggin' hippie. But I know that human suffering is never a cause for macho chest-beating.

Edit: Gah! I should've waited with my reply a few minutes and copied the quote below. Goofball in more concise words says what I wanted to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    Gimme a break. Whether the parents made good decisions or bad, children who have lost their parents are deserving of all the empathy and care we can extend to them.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 08-15-2005 at 19:27.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

No effect at all. Im not that easily played.

Nice picture Idaho. Nothing subliminal about that one.

LINK to where the pic was taken....

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    No effect at all. Im not that easily played.

Nice picture Idaho. Nothing subliminal about that one.
    What if it had been a picture of two American kids in Utah crying while their mother held a letter she had just received that began "The Department of Defence regrets to inform you that..."?

Would that have been enough to "play" you?

- TSM

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UglyandHasty
    LINK to where the pic was taken....
    Thanks for the link - that places the context of the picture to something I can understand.

However even in the article - the author is using the picture for emotional appeal concerning the subject matter - a very effective use of a picture in my opinion.

It strikes to the point about the after effects of combat stress and the actions that soldiers must take on the battlefield -especially in the chaos of urban warfare which is probably one of the most stressful of all combat operations.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Yes it would because I care about americans.

Americans take a pledge of allegiance to the United states...not the world

After americans I care about our allies after that I don't mind as much(I still care but not near as much)

Think of it this way

You care about your family(america) then your friends(allies) then strangers (every one else)
    Last edited by scooter_the_shooter; 08-15-2005 at 20:55.
    Formerly ceasar010

That picture makes me angry. What chances in life do those poor children have now?
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family” - Nazanin

It is not the soldiers fault it's a war....people will always die in wars.
    Formerly ceasar010

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    Voted "Has an impact - find quite upsetting thinking about those kids."

Ever since my son was born, I find I have very little emotional resistance to any photos/stories/whatever having to do with children experiencing trauma of any kind. No matter what, my mind always juxtaposes images of my own child in the same situation, inspiring within me a nasty combination of rage, fury, and sadness beyond anything that the "pre-fatherhood" me was ever able to imagine.
    Yeah that is very much the same for me. I have found fatherhood has made these kinds of images to have an almost physical impact. Like a blow.

I wonder if this is why aggressive solutions are often the preserve of young childless men. Combine that with an organisation, ideology or dogma that justifies or directs - it is little wonder that we have such an acceptance of violence.

Panzer - are you young and childless?
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Think of it this way

You care about your family(america) then your friends(allies) then strangers (every one else)
    That is exactly the rationale that the US forces have always used. And would explain why they are so poor at peacekeeping and in civil war situations.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Damn it, I'm too mad right now, I'll respond to this after a bit of cooling off.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    Damn it, I'm too mad right now, I'll respond to this after a bit of cooling off.
    That's the reason I am so obnoxious on the boards - I prefer to externalise my irritation at some of the ignorance rather than have to deal with it.

If they shot him he had to be resisting or grabbing for a gun/knife etc. I dont feel sorry at all.
    A big herd of bullocks Ceasar
    Care to take a look at some of the courts martial that have occured ?

The thing that disturbs me from that photo is not the little girls face after the death of her parents (if the photo and caption is true) , it is the little boys face , can't you just see that little face blowing something up or flying into a skyscraper in a few years time
    Little acorns eh ? plant the seed and watch it grow , oh and something about a cold dish

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast