Thread: Media is strangly quiet on the subject of terror alerts of the past

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Default Media is strangly quiet on the subject of terror alerts of the past

Heard this on the news while driving home from dropping off my son, Could not find it looking at the mainstream media pages outside of Fox News - but this can prove to be disaster (sp) for the Bush Adminstration - and even places Clinton's adminstration in an even worse light if the reports are true

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166004,00.html

The State Department warned the Clinton administration in July 1996 that Usama bin Laden's (search) move to Afghanistan would give him more fertile ground to spread radical Islam, according to newly declassified documents.
    Now the damning part for the Bush Administration

And one that I can not find yet - talks about a inhouse memo from the State Department that states there was no viable plan for post invasion of Iraq. This has been suspected as the case by many since the start - the memo will provide conclusive proof that the Adminstration did not fully plan the operation nor the consequences of the operation.

Then Finally on the 9/11 commission - the report finding as published by the commission are being challenged by those in the know and cticism of not placing important information into the hearings either by ommission of the administration - or worse yet by ommission of the commission (hell that is almost a Ali quote)

I can not find it now - but it seems a Lt. Col who was part of the Army Intelligence is coming forward that he gave two briefcases worth of documents concerning the tracking of several of the highjackers that were being tracked prior to 9/11.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Media is strangly quiet on the subject of terror alerts of the past

Was this link one of the ones you were looking for? "Post war planning gaps"
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/18/sta...raq/index.html

EDIT-> found this link on POE News, sounds like the 9/11 - Lt Col. item you were talking about.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/17/po...gewanted=print
    Last edited by drone; 08-18-2005 at 20:21.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

So basically two administrations turned a blind eye, or even worse, politicized our security. If this pans out as accurate, Both Clinton and Bush should be sharing a cell. A lot of innocent blood on both pairs of hands...
    RIP Tosa

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Media is strangly quiet on the subject of terror alerts of the past

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    a inhouse memo from the State Department that states there was no viable plan for post invasion of Iraq.
    No, surely not...
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    Was this link one of the ones you were looking for? "Post war planning gaps"
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/18/sta...raq/index.html

EDIT-> found this link on POE News, sounds like the 9/11 - Lt Col. item you were talking about.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/17/po...gewanted=print

Yep those are the ones

In the words of a famous Redhead's husband. "Lucy you have some explaining to do......"
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by That snooty Frenchman
    No, surely not...
    Alright there, Mr. Sarcasm, very funny. Perhaps if you want folks to feel able to move away from their viewpoint and towards yours, you should refrain from sour-grapes.

I'd be surprised and pretty angry to learn there was 'no plan'. What I strongly suspect, which is almost as foolish and short-sighted, is that there was no plan for an insurgency of this magnitude. In any case, yes, there's plenty about the Iraq War that has even me rather upset. For one thing, why did we decide now was the time to fight a war 'on the cheap'. We should have sent twice what we needed, not 'well, we think this will work' levels of manpower & equipment.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

On the lack of plan, they certainly hit the nail on the head. There was not sufficient planning (and bodies assigned) to security and stabilization as soon as the immediate military threats were cleared. Things like failing to secure the museum revealed that security of major public facilities was not being addressed by anyone--it was a disconcerting symbol (perhaps an omen in retrospect.) I'm not blaming site commanders here, their job was primarily military, not policing. It looked at the time like there was a gap. Afterall, one would have expected the capital to be on the A-list for policing.

While the invasion was very fast, providing a sense of control/stability has never been acheived. Without that, infrastructure rebuilding lagged as one would expect, leading to further problems. It appeared to me at the time that the initial gap (and some stated indifference to it) set the wrong tone and encouraged the type of insurgency we now face. The best way to stop an insurgency is to make sure it never gets traction in the first place. Once it does, the outcome is anyone's guess. Trying to lowball the requirements for postwar Iraq was a major strategic blunder.

Of course, depending on folks like Chalabi didn't help...nor dismissing the entire army and police force without anything to replace them (or disarm them.)
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    I'd be surprised and pretty angry to learn there was 'no plan'. What I strongly suspect, which is almost as foolish and short-sighted, is that there was no plan for an insurgency of this magnitude. In any case, yes, there's plenty about the Iraq War that has even me rather upset. For one thing, why did we decide now was the time to fight a war 'on the cheap'. We should have sent twice what we needed, not 'well, we think this will work' levels of manpower & equipment.
    I wouldn't say there was "no plan", just a very optimistic one. Why was the war run "on the cheap"? My guess is that it was all part of the sell to Congress. Phantom WMDs, false Al Qaeda links, and a low cost made the opposition less reluctant to OK the war. A large troop commitment would have raised a lot more questions and debate about the invasion, and it probably would have been shelved as more facts came to light.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Media is strangly quiet on the subject of terror alerts of the past

That makes sense, Drone.

Don, would you believe that even if I'm opposed to the war, I agree that
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    We should have sent twice what we needed, not 'well, we think this will work' levels of manpower & equipment.
    If you must wage war, do it right. Bring your boys back home and secure the safety of the Iraqi people. Going to war on the cheap has cost more lives of both Iraqi's and Americans than necessary.

But I will be sarcastic about this planless, even reckless invasion. You just don't move into Iraq and 'Poof! It's a flowering democracy!'. Heck, if that were the case, I would've signed up myself.
    It's not the ousting of Saddam that got people opposed to the war. It's knowing that a war with all it's atrocities and human suffering will be fought and that at the end of it the Iraqi people will still not be any better of.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link