Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets try this again.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Default Lets try this again.

it's unbeleivable that the city of San Fransico can have the heart to reject such an honored military vessel as the Iowa.
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...unned_warship_1
    Now, lets see if we can discuss this without the thread being closed, ok guys?

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: Lets try this again.

Its a free country and they voted they didnt want it there. I dont agree but they have that right Im not gonna bitch just to bitch
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They're a bunch of idiots who, because of their opposition to the Iraq war, seek to dishonor the men who fought in WWII. But hey, at least they won't get tourist dollars.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Lets try this again.

the city as voted democractly on the subject and they don´t want the ship there.

right or wrong and despite what anyone else thinks the population of this city believes that the organization that the ship represents has taken some stances concerning a part of the city´s population and concerning certain recent "political and military steps" that were taken.

the city also allreay has an US navy ship stacioned there and they might thing 2 are too much.

to cap it all of there is another city that is ready to receive the ship with open arms and provide facilities for it to be visited and seen by anyone that wishes to do so.

this is really a non-issue, and i don´t see what the problem is.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Feinstein was pretty upset that the supervisors rejected the Iowa. She's not exactly my hero...so I was surprised by her reaction.

The link above didn't work so you might want to try this one San Francisco Supervisor's Rejection of the Iowa

It seems awfully petty to reject such an incredible piece of history.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Just because it's their right doesn't mean they're not being jackasses.

No one said it was illegal, GC. Who are you pointing this out to?

I think Dave was just insulting them, but fair enough. After sometime you'll take Kaiser's post less seriously. He might be a good guy and all, but he has that certain way of posting that comes across as a little aziNay-ikelay.

What did Dave say that was so bad? 'Godless sodomites?' Jeez. I'm sorry, but BFD.

Maybe you're just too proximal to the Rainbow Metrop, but that is one of the tamest jokes I've heard about San Fran.

Blog Entries

meh. your probably right about Kaiser, but thats why we love him. This place would be lame if someone didn't have a suggestion to impose martial law on gay guys every now and then.

I personally don't care. I think they should move it to Seattle.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    I think Dave was just insulting them, but fair enough. After sometime you'll take Kaiser's post less seriously. He might be a good guy and all, but he has that certain way of posting that comes across as a little aziNay-ikelay.
    Thank you proletariat.
    As stated, you gotta take some of my posts with a pinch of salt. I'm the so-extreme-it's-humorous guy around here, much like DA was (though DA did get offensive alot more than I do, lol). Basically, if you see somthing relating to bombing, genocide, mass murder, mass raping and pillaging, just interperate it as "I am highly disgusted by this and I think it is time the American public correct this problem in a sensible fasion that I am too lazy to think of."
    Ok?

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

I bet if they could prove that the first Navy gay couple was married by the ships captain it would be docked in the harbor quicker than Richard Simmons could hug a fat chick. Then it would be historic in the eyes of the San Fran Nans out there. But alas, it is a symbol of our nations greatness and pursuit of liberty, something that no honest lefty in the US could celebrate.
    RIP Tosa

Well, I couln't get the article to load.

One thing though. Isn't there some kind of rule against naming a battleship after a landlocked state?

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

aziNay-ikelay

Damn thats funny

Good one Prol

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phatose
    One thing though. Isn't there some kind of rule against naming a battleship after a landlocked state?
    Nope. Other than BB4 The Kearsage, all U.S. battleships were named after States IIRC. And Iowa isn't truly land locked when you consider it has a navigable river (the Mississippi). There are many ports on navigable US Rivers. Naval frigates participated in naval bombardment up and down the Mississippi during the Civil War (in addition to iron clads, tin clads, timberclads, gunboats, etc. And the Iowa is the first of the Iowa Class (Missouri, New Jersey, Minnesota.)
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

As I said in the other thread, it is just a lump of iron, and it's not going to feel rejected about not being in San Francisco, so what does it really matter? The town that it;s going to is going to have a tourist boom that San Francisco doesn't need, so it's all good.

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    Not that. Everyone's entitled to make a gay joke when San Fransisco is brought into discussion.
    [SARCASM ON]Just curious: does that mean that everybody is also entitled to make a gay joke every time the Catholic Church is brought into discussion?

Or how about a n***** joke every time fried chicken or watermelon is brought into the conversation?

And maybe we should give free reign to "retard" jokes every time the Special Olympics are brought up?[/SARCASM OFF]

You know what, I have an alternative proposal: How about we say that making jokes about any group based on race, sexual orientation, religion or physical disability is hurtful and only promotes divisive, degrading stereotypes, so those types of jokes should probably be avoided.

Just a thought.

"What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    You know what, I have an alternative proposal: How about we say that making jokes about any group based on race, sexual orientation, religion or physical disability is hurtful and only promotes divisive, degrading stereotypes, so those types of jokes should probably be avoided.
    Jeez. Lighten up. I have lots of gay friends from San Fran and they make even harsher jokes about the city than we do.

Jeez. Lighten up. I have lots of gay friends from San Fran and they make even harsher jokes about the city than we do.
    And I know black folks who make n***** jokes, but that doesn't make those jokes any less despicable.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Sometimes it makes them funnier.

Sometimes it makes them funnier.

Impossible. Racist jokes are never funny. They're just mean.

- TSM

Eh, whatever floats your boat, Goof. From Don Rickles to Dave Chappelle, I think there's alot of funny comedians who sometimes use racial issues as material.

But, if it bothers you, who am I to say anything?

so are people only allowed to be mean in unfunny ways?

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

I don't see the problem at all. They didn't want a ship there. Big deal...

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

I think life would be a little more boring without good jokes about how the French are weenies, Irish are alcoholics, Americans are arrogant buffoons, British men are awful in bed, etc.

In America there's obvious things that are too sensitive to joke about, but sometimes people go overboard with trying not to offend groups. I figured the reaction to jokes about San Fran fit in that category, whereas a joke about slavery would just be obtuse.

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

I think life would be a little more boring without good jokes about how the French are weenies, Irish are alcoholics, Americans are arrogant buffoons, British men are awful in bed, etc.
    And that Germans have no sense of humor. Because... that´s a joke right? Or did I misunderstand something?

Quote Originally Posted by A.Saturnus
    And that Germans have no sense of humor. Because... that´s a joke right? Or did I misunderstand something?
    Huh???

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

About San Fransico, I don't think it's particullary wrong to joke about it. But there are certaintly many non gays there. It's just that the people there tend to be a bit more... open... than other places. Just as long as all other cities are open for jokes...
    My Mom and Dad certaintly liked it when they went there, though they did steer clear of certaint bars and the like.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    And maybe we should give free reign to "retard" jokes every time the Special Olympics are brought up?
    What's better than winning the gold medal in the Special Olympics?

**punchline will be posted in 1 hour**
    RIP Tosa

DD, with the old classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    What's better than winning the gold medal in the Special Olympics?

**punchline will be posted in 1 hour**
    Having more mental capacity than DevDave?

- TSM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast