Thread: Pre-Maori New Zealand

Default Pre-Maori New Zealand

Tell me about the non/pre Maori inhabitants of New Zealand.
    I think I heard that they were still there when Europeans first arrived but the Maoris later wiped them out.
    Somebody in another thread said some were still knocking about.
    I want to know more.
    What are the actual facts?
    A quick look around websites suggests that they were also Polynesians.

P.S. I'm not talking about those Celt/Phoenician theories here.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Default Re: Pre-Maori New Zealand

What... There were inhabitants prior to the Maori? Never heard about that before.

How come the Moa hadn't learned to keep away from humans if it had been interacting with humnas prior to the Maori. Since the others were also polynesians we must expect them to act much the same in regards to nature.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Apparently there were.

Hopefully we'll find out more from the Antipodean side of this forum.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Pre Maori were the Moa-Hunters... stone age hunters.

Maori material culture has evolved over two main periods of Polynesian settlement. The first is known as the Archaic or Moa Hunter period during which the Polynesians made their first contact with the moa, a large struthious bird which supplied them with abundant food. Actually, some of the species were relatively small. These Polynesians utilised the moa for food while from its bones they manufactured ornaments, fish hooks, bird spear points, and other items. Moas were killed by spears and traps.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 09-24-2005 at 05:25.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

They were the Moriori's, some still live on an island of the coast of NZ. The Maori came over and as they were more warlike, they ate them all.
    For anyone who deny's this claim there is a court case going on at the moment to brandish the Maori as foriegn invaders and not the indigeonous people and reclaim land from them.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Hm... That is some interesting point.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar
    For anyone who deny's this claim there is a court case going on at the moment to brandish the Maori as foriegn invaders and not the indigeonous people and reclaim land from them.
    The case won't pass as the land reclaims are based on the Treaty of Waitangi not indigenous or native title status.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 09-24-2005 at 13:38.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

The indigenous people moved to Tol Eressea.
    Wooooo!!!

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

The previous inhabitants are still around on the Chatham Islands.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Bah, everyone always claims to be the poor victim.

It's just a case of who had the biggest guns in the final encounter.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Which was the mighty United Kingdom of Great Britain...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Odd. I always thought NZ was about the only example of a land mass settled recently with no indigenous population (the only other case I can think of is Iceland). Wiki says the Maori were the first there, about 6-800 years ago, which is what I thought too. But Wiki has been known to be wrong...
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

It is wrong, the Morioris were the first here. Many Historians are now starting to doubt that Maori got here before 1500 aswell due to the fact that no artifacts can be found pre-dating said date that can be traced without doubt to the Maori.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriori
    The debunked myth of Moriori in New Zealand

New Zealand popular culture of the early twentieth century long held an unsubstantiated myth that the 'Moriori', a small-statured dark-skinned race of possible Melanesian origin, originally inhabited New Zealand before the fairer-skinned Māori arrived and drove the Moriori out to the Chathams. This story conveniently promoted racist stereotyping and justified the idea of colonisation by cultural 'superiors', but has no historical or anthropological merit.

There was at least two waves of Polynesians. The first is often referred to as the Moa Hunters the second more prolific group is the Maori.

The earliest C.14 carbon dating for the settlement of man in New Zealand is approximately 1,000 years ago.
    The last great phase resulting in the introduction of new culture elements were the adventurous voyages southward of groups of Polynesians from the central Pacific, in or about A.D. 1350. This settlement ushered in the Classic period of Maori culture. Well-known canoes associated with this period were Te Arawa, Tainui, Mataatua, Kurahaupo, Tokomaru, Takitimu, Aotea, and Horouta. It is evident that virile strains of Polynesians appeared on the scene from this time. The pa or hill fort became well established and new weapons of war were evolved. Agriculture gradually developed as well as religious conceptions and cultural activities.
    This is from the link I first posted. Which is called the Encyclopedia of New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy_is_a_Taff View Post
    Tell me about the non/pre Maori inhabitants of New Zealand.
    I think I heard that they were still there when Europeans first arrived but the Maoris later wiped them out.
    Somebody in another thread said some were still knocking about.
    I want to know more.
    What are the actual facts?
    A quick look around websites suggests that they were also Polynesians.

P.S. I'm not talking about those Celt/Phoenician theories here.

I'm from NZ, I know about the Maori, they were the first there. Just in case I searched it up:

New Zealand was originally settled by Polynesians from Eastern Polynesia. The most current reliable evidence strongly indicates that initial settlement of New Zealand occurred around 1280 CE. Previous dating of some Kiore (Polynesian rat) bones at 50 - 150 CE has now been shown to have been unreliable; new samples of bone (and now also of unequivocally rat-gnawed woody seed cases) match the 1280 CE date of the earliest archaeological sites and the beginning of sustained, anthropogenic deforestation.[4]

The descendants of these settlers became known as the Māori, forming a distinct culture of their own. The separate settlement of the tiny Chatham Islands in the east of New Zealand about 1500 CE produced the Moriori people; linguistic evidence indicates that the Moriori were mainland Māori who ventured eastward.[5]

Well now after 9 years he finally has the answer he was looking for.

Members thankful for this post (8):

+ Show/Hide List

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin View Post
    Odd. I always thought NZ was about the only example of a land mass settled recently with no indigenous population (the only other case I can think of is Iceland). Wiki says the Maori were the first there, about 6-800 years ago, which is what I thought too. But Wiki has been known to be wrong...
    There are more areas like that, like the tip of South America, both falklands and parts of the mainland. Also Bermuda, St Helena, Cape Verde...

EDIT: Damn necro...
    Last edited by HoreTore; 08-08-2014 at 10:51.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

It's not like he was asking for a liver transplant - he was asking about something that happened a few thousand years ago. What's nine years here or there?

The important thing is the answer has been given. We're not fast, but God, we're thorough.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

What I'd like to know is, is Taffy still a Taff?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    What I'd like to know is, is Taffy still a Taff?
    According to his latest instagram photos, it would appear so.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken