Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BI Extra Hordes and Unlocked Factions Mod'

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Default BI Extra Hordes and Unlocked Factions Mod

Latest Version: 1.3 13th October 2005.

Hello.

One day I was a bit bored and had a bash at making a small mod for Barbarian Invasion. And a few days later I was still bored and updated it. And here it is:
    BI Extra Hordes and Unlocked Playable Factions Mod. The title really rolls off you tongue...

Anyway, it is really a two part mod. First, it gives you the option to enable the Celtic, Alemanni and Saxon factions to form their own hordes, complete with new units and their own unit cards and sprites. That adds some extra spice to the campaign.

Secondly, it unlocks all the other factions in the game (including Slave/Rebels), apart from the Slavs, Roman Rebels (both) and Ostro-goths. I could probably unlock a few of them, but at the moment they're more interesting being left to cause trouble for everyone else later on in the campaign. All the new playable factions have their own campaign descriptions rubbishy prepared by myself after about half an hour's research on the web (if any history scholars out there want to provide better descriptions let me know). They also have campaign maps done in the style of the CA originals. See the screenshots below.

Oh, and there's also a few minor gameplay 'fixes' that I either stumbled upon or someone else told me about.

To get the mod, you'll first have to download version 1.3 . It's here:
    http://www.disko.co.uk/files/bi_extr...tions_v1_3.zip

If you have an earlier version (v1.2, v1.21, or v1.22) download this patch to hopefully update it to version 1.3:
    http://www.disko.co.uk/files/bi_extr...12x_to_v13.zip

Installing v1.3:
    Unzip the v1.3 file into your RTW folder, making sure to read the readme file inside the zip that tells you to BACKUP your crucial files first. So don't blame me if anything untowards occurs as a result of installing the mod. I've given the mod a fair test and everything seems to work fine.

Updating v1.2, 1.21, or 1.22 to v1.3:
    Unzip the patch into your RTW folder. Fingers crossed, everything now works. If you have modified any files since first installing my mod, those changes may be overwritten, so beware!

Just want Hordes?
    If you don't want to change the hordes and just want the unlocked factions, you can basically leave the descr_sm_factions.txt file as it was originally, or read the instructions in the zip file for more info. As the extra hordes changes the dynamics of the campaign, you might for example wish to continue playing a campaign or two without them enabled. You can change the new hordes option during a campaign if you wish, although it might not be a good idea if you revert the original horde settings and one of the new horde factions is in horde mode already.

Here's some screenshots of the mod in 'action'. Thrilling stuff and all that!

The Alemanni tribes take to road! Those poor Western Empire Romans won't know what'll hit them.

That's some Alemanni horde hunters and Horde Chosen swordsmen having an arguement with some Sassanids over who's blue and red tunics are best.

More cretins to control!

The Lombardi faction, ready to cause trouble no doubt:

Version 1.2 added the Romano-British as a playable faction. The Romano-British campaign is optional. It is playable in a provincal campaign only, so that you can still play a regular campaign and have the Romano-British emerge on their own accord.

Their campaign is very hard, however. High troop income and only one settlement. You'll have the Celts and rebels at your door, and a fast diminishing treasury. Just pray you have your finances secure and your borders protected when the Saxons and West Empire Romans make a landing!

Any comments or problems with the mod, let me know.
    Last edited by professorspatula; 10-13-2005 at 15:03. Reason: Updated mod.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Default Re: BI Extra Hordes and Playable factions Mini Mod

(Was an update post).

Should probably delete this message now I suppose.
    Last edited by professorspatula; 10-07-2005 at 05:01.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : BI Extra Hordes Mini Mod

Looks great :)

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: BI Extra Hordes Mini Mod

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: BI Extra Hordes and Unlocked Factions Mod'

Excellent professor.

I kinda love the hordes, so this can be a good addition.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Default Re: BI Extra Hordes Mini Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

What he said!

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

how did you manage to get the Burgundii , lombardii , roxoliani playable.
    I edited the factions to thje playable section in the descr_strat file as with the Celts and other berbers, but when I click on the Lombardii. Burgundii and Roxoliani faction shield in the main campaign screen , the game crashes and quits.

Help would be apreciated

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

The factions you mentioned have missing entries in the data\text\campaign_descriptions.txt file. You have to add an entry to those factions in that file to make them playable. The celts, berbers, Romano-British etc already had campaign descriptions. Interesting that CA then leave them out in the finished article. This is the reason why now when you play the original campaign, you can no longer just add factions to the playable list as without the campaign description, the game crashes.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Ok thanks for the help professorspatula, I managed to make it work

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Member Member Crusader4thepeople's Avatar

What about the original Imperial Campaign, has anyone made an updated completed factions mod or something?

Anyway this is great for BI thnx this is just what i need

v1.22 Patch now available:
    This is (probably) the final patch for the BI Extra Hordes and Unlocked Factions mod.
    After this, I will split the mod into 2 identities: The Unlocked Factions Mod (including map files and Romano-British campaign); and Extra Hordes Mod (includes additional gameplay and bug fixes found in the current mod). This is so you can just play the unlocked factions and use other mods if you wish with the minimal of conflicts. However, I still personally recommend the Extra Hordes and fixes. The fixes are important if you want to play a good Romano-British or Berber campaign as their recruitment possibilities will be severly limited.

Changes in v1.22:
    It's basically all about those rascals the Romano-British!

Sarmatian Cavalry lost their 2 experience bonus when the Circus Maximus was built, they now retain it.

There were no benefits for the Romano-British to build the Royal Barracks over the previous barracks. Now it gives Foederati +1 experience and Coastal Levies gain +2 experience instead of +1.

R-B can now train Bucellari in the campaign instead of just in custom battles.

The patch also includes a new basic skin for the Romano-British Legionary which uses the Roman Comitantensis model instead of the completely broken model that ships with the game. The broken CA one-and-a-half-leg model has been made to hop it (groan).

Download me:
    Follow the dots and find the download link, it's like a bonus game! .................. ....... ........ Download v1.22 patch

Quick Notes about the RB Campaign:
    Regarding the R-B campaign, if you play it, a good tip is to get rid of most of your expensive troops as soon as you take Eburacum and then build as many profitable buildings as possible. It took me about 12 years and a few riots before I managed to conquer my finances and take on the Celts. I'm now about 25 years into the campaign, have mainland Briton secured and am making a tidy 2K profit and ready to invade Europe. Also hire every single Sarmation Merc unit you can. It's difficult to beat those blasted Hounds of whatchamacallit beserkers and chariots and Gallowglasses without them.

Oh and beware of the pirates. There's dozens of them and they sink all your ships, meaning the only navy you're likely to build is a drowned one.

the eagle-eyed Magussen Member Magussen's Avatar

Thanks for your work !
    The Saxon horde chosen swordsmen have a lethality of 0.1, is that intentional ?

Well spotted that person!

My bad. It should be 1. Otherwise those poor swordsmen will be as effective as a child wielding a toy sword.

I couldn't get the Romano Brits to play on the provincial campaign but everything else was loaded up fine liked the other locked factions are now playable and the unit additions. So I just copied the romano descr_strat over the barbarian invasion one and now The romano brits are playable with the new patch.....very nice thanks

A child wielding a toy sword might well be an improvement for an AI general.

Crivvens! How embarassing. Thanks to the eagle-eyed Magussen, I've updated the mod yet again. Hopefully there will be no more patches necessary.

If you have version 1.2, 1.21 or 1.22 of my mod, download and unzip this patch:
    http://www.disko.co.uk/files/bi_extr...12x_to_v13.zip

If you haven't installed the mod, or are still using the old versions (v1 and v1.1) you might as well download the entire mod again, updated to version 1.3.

Version 1.3 makes these changes:
    - Added Kerns to the Celtic Hordes
    - Added a few missing textures for the new hordes units
    - Fixed an error with Saxon Chosen Swordsmen lethality
    - Can play as Slave/Rebel faction in campaigns.

Version 1.3 is downloadable here:
    http://www.disko.co.uk/files/bi_extr...tions_v1_3.zip

Thanks.

I shall punch myself squarely in the face and cry into my ale if there's any more missing files or errors within.

Edit:
    ----
    Player1 has released his latest bugfixer patch for BI. He's been a busy chap! If you want to install his mod and mine, install his first. Then install mine on top. There appears to be only one or two inconsistancies that I've noticed so far, and these are down to personal preferences as much as anything.
    Last edited by professorspatula; 10-13-2005 at 16:37.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Professor!

I installed your mod (1.3) over the Bug-Fixer mod (2.01) and played as Saxons, M/M, and went into horde. So far so good. I notice the shadows for the Horde Raider cavalry are dark squares in addition to the normal shadows. Besieging the nearest Rebel city south and west of Campus Saxones (starting province) I got a CTD while trying to start the assualt battle (at the loading screen). I didn't have showerr on, but I'll see if the autosave can get me back to that.

Ah, I think I've found the problem. It's the sprite for the Saxon Horde Raider unit, there was a typo in the descr_model_battle.txt file. I tested all the units before sprites, and all but the raider afterwards.

Open the descr_model_battle.txt file and replace:

model_sprite saxons, 60.0, bi/data/sprites/saxon_raiders_sprite.spr

with:
    model_sprite saxons, 60.0, bi/data/sprites/saxons_raiders_sprite.spr

Hopefully that will fix the crashing problem, as it was enough to cause BI to crash everytime the raider was used.

I'll update the existing files, then I'm off to bang my head in frustration at seeing another bug creep into things.

LOL ! Looks like the mercenaries file is missing from the romano-british campaign.

WHA?! No mercs? That should make things a good deal more interesting I suppose. Speaking of mercs, in my last game I found a unit of Graal Knights for hire....but it was in France....and the Romano-Brits hadn't emerged...Though I can understand it's not possible to make certain units only appear for hire after a certain event has occured (Faction Emergance), what I don't understand is why they'd be added in due to that fact, and why the F%&K were they doing in France?!
    All men will one day die, but not every man will truely live.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Could I ask you to collaborate with player1? Or is it too much work?

I mean, I love all his fixes a whole lot (I used to debate with heart and fury with him for the RTW bug-fixer), so I wouldn't like to miss any of them should I install this one.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by Magussen
    LOL ! Looks like the mercenaries file is missing from the romano-british campaign.
    Actually that isn't the case. You just have to copy all the files from the original barbarian_invasion campaign folder into the new barbarian_invasion_romano campaign folder. It says that in the readme. That's how you get the campaign working properly. I didn't include all the files myself because it would make the zip file unnecessary big.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    Could I ask you to collaborate with player1? Or is it too much work?

I mean, I love all his fixes a whole lot (I used to debate with heart and fury with him for the RTW bug-fixer), so I wouldn't like to miss any of them should I install this one.
    Well I could do possibly, although at the moment 90% of his fixes are for other things such as traits and ancillaries that this mod doesn't touch. The changes to the battle_models and so forth I've basically made myself so at the moment if the two mods are installed (mine on top) there aren't any real probs. I haven't downloaded his fixer yet, but I've just looked at what he's apparently changed and there are a couple of differences (I allow Berbers to recruit all barracks due to the fact their units gain extra experience in the top barracks so they might as well build them, for example) and I haven't made barbarian women available on the city map yet, as I'm currently I'm content to have them inside making their husband's dinner. Perhaps if in future Bug-Fixer releases he makes more changes that conflict with my mod, I'll have a word in his ear and try and make the mod 100% compatible or thereabouts. Cheers.

Ah very good very good. However I'm curious as to whether or not you plan on making some units of your own for the Romano-British seeing as their unit list seems to be missing something to me somehow. Judging from your fix of the British Legionarries you have some experience with modeling so it shouldnt prove too much of a challenge.

One last thing...do Coastal levies have a missile attack? I simply can't remember off hand and it's driving me crazy!
    All men will one day die, but not every man will truely live.

Alas, my modelling skills are non-existant. I merely made the British Legionaries use the very similiar Roman Comit...whateveritiscalled model and then modified the skin to fit. I could perhaps at some stage reuse another model and create a new Romano-British skin for it and have a pseudo-new unit, but that's the limits of my skills. If any modellers out there want to make a new Romano-British model however......

And no, the Coastal levies can't throw their spears. I pondered over that a few nights ago, and whether they should chuck their spear like some other spearmen who's name I can't spell without looking it up, but I've left them without the ability.

Member thankful for this post:

dejo96 

Sounds well enough... I might install this then. It is just that in my current Burgundian game I have already killed off the Alemanni and Saxons, so it is more or less of little point.

Hi guys. Just a quick question, will this mod compromise my ability to play online with others who do not have this mod installed, or will it be irrelevant like when you manually modded it in 1.2?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Fox
    Hi guys. Just a quick question, will this mod compromise my ability to play online with others who do not have this mod installed, or will it be irrelevant like when you manually modded it in 1.2?
    Since it actually changes some units (or so I gather) it won't be compatible. But our professor said he wold later do a 'light' version with a pure 'more hordes' approach, and a full mixed version (good idea btw, then we can all be satisfied).

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Good workaround to keep romano-briton legionary models (with cool cloaks) is this:

Code:
    type		british_legionaries
    ;--------------------------------------
    skeleton	fs_javelinman, fs_slow_swordsman
    indiv_range	40
    texture		romano_british, 	bi/data/models_unit/textures/BI_unit_british_legionaries_romano_british.tga
    ;model_flexi				bi/data/models_unit/BI_unit_british_legionaries_lod1.CAS, 15
    model_flexi				bi/data/models_unit/BI_unit_british_legionaries_lod2.CAS, 15
    model_flexi				bi/data/models_unit/BI_unit_british_legionaries_lod2.CAS, 30
    model_flexi				bi/data/models_unit/BI_unit_british_legionaries_lod3.CAS, 40
    model_flexi				bi/data/models_unit/BI_unit_british_legionaries_lod4.CAS, max
    ;model_sprite	60.0, 			data/sprites/romans_julii_roman_peasant_sprite.spr
    model_sprite		romano_british, 60.0, bi/data/sprites/romano_british_british_legionaries_sprite.spr
    model_tri	400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f
    Effectively using next lower level model instead (the one that is showed with Low unit details settings).

You'll barely notice the difference in detail.
    Exempt fixed leg of course.
    Last edited by player1; 10-15-2005 at 01:44.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Quote Originally Posted by professorspatula
    Well I could do possibly, although at the moment 90% of his fixes are for other things such as traits and ancillaries that this mod doesn't touch. The changes to the battle_models and so forth I've basically made myself so at the moment if the two mods are installed (mine on top) there aren't any real probs. I haven't downloaded his fixer yet, but I've just looked at what he's apparently changed and there are a couple of differences (I allow Berbers to recruit all barracks due to the fact their units gain extra experience in the top barracks so they might as well build them, for example) and I haven't made barbarian women available on the city map yet, as I'm currently I'm content to have them inside making their husband's dinner. Perhaps if in future Bug-Fixer releases he makes more changes that conflict with my mod, I'll have a word in his ear and try and make the mod 100% compatible or thereabouts. Cheers.
    I think barbarian women fix is the only thing missing if this mod is put over the bug-fixer.

As for few differencies in buildings file, you can always consider this mod as an upgrade, since it still allows everything possible with bug-fixer, plus some extra.

So people, installing this over bug-fixer is no problem.

Code:
    type				barb_female_peasant_lbc
    skeleton			fs_dagger
    indiv_range			40
    ;model_flexi_m		data/models_unit/barb_male_peasant_high.cas, 8
    ;model_flexi_m		data/models_unit/barb_male_peasant_med.cas, 15
    ;model_flexi		data/models_unit/barb_male_peasant_low.cas, 30
    ;model_flexi		data/models_unit/barb_male_peasant_lowest.cas, max
    model_flexi_m		data/models_unit/barb_female_peasant_300.cas, 8
    model_flexi_m		data/models_unit/barb_female_peasant_300.cas, 15
    model_flexi			data/models_unit/barb_female_peasant_200.cas, 30
    model_flexi			data/models_unit/barb_female_peasant_100.cas, 40
    model_flexi			data/models_unit/barb_female_peasant_70.cas, max
    ;model_sprite		60.0, data/sprites/barb_male_peasant_sprite.spr
    ;model_sprite		60.0, bi/data/sprites/barb_female_peasant_lbc_sprite.spr
    model_sprite		60.0, data/sprites/barb_female_peasant_sprite.spr
    model_tri			400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f
    And this is fixed female peasant model.
    Notice that outcommented model is male peasant model.
    Also original female sprites are wrong, so new link is to original RTW sprites.
    Last edited by player1; 10-15-2005 at 01:49.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast