Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Celts (BI faction)

Default Celts (BI faction)

This faction must be edited before it can be played.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Dradem

Default to unlock the Celts (BI faction)

To unlock the factions in BI you have to go to
    c:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\bi\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion
    open it and make like this.

; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign barbarian_invasion
    playable
    huns
    goths
    sarmatians
    vandals
    franks
    saxons
    alemanni
    sassanids
    empire_east
    empire_west
    celts
    slavs
    berbers
    end
    unlockable
    end
    nonplayable
    ostrogoths
    romano_british
    roxolani
    burgundii
    lombardi
    empire_east_rebels
    empire_west_rebels
    slave
    end

As you can see there are some nonplayables left but these factions enter the game later on. so these don't work :(

hope this helps

I don't know if this is al ready posted. So if some one else did it before me no offence

Ps: make a copy of the file before you shane it of some thing went wrong you stil have the original

Greetz Dradem

Barbarian of the north Member Magraev's Avatar

Default Re: Celts (BI faction)

Slavs as playable and Roxolani as unplayable - shouldn't it be the other way around? I've tried modding in the Celts btw and it worked just fine - crappy missile-troops though (only javelins), and inferior berserkers compared to the lombards.

Just make sure you make that backup.
    Nope - no sig what so ever.

It works fine if you do all that. Celts look interesting..

the slavs don't work

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Slavs are not playable without major editing as they are one of the factions that appear in an event. With that said, let's keep this on-topic.

I havent decided wether I'm going to buy BI yet or not. How do the Celts in BI compare to the original RTW Celts and RTR 5.4 Celts? Anyone got some comparisons to share?

Hounds of Culaan are available straight away with the Celts!

Antwerp for the moment and before that Arklow, Dublin, London, Lyon, Munich and .. well here and there basicly

Angry Re: Celts (BI faction)

yep the slavs don't work and the roxolani is a mistake to sorry about that
    won't happen in the future. And the celts are fun to play. Not that diffucult in the begining but when the romans are gone those Romana Britisch are a pain in the ....

Greetz
    New lords, new laws

No path of flowers leads to glory, mine is paved with blood and gore

Unregistered

Kill the Romana Britisch general and they will vanish leaving a smaller rebell army. Thats what i did....

Post Re: Celts (BI faction)

Quote Originally Posted by Dradem
    Not that diffucult in the begining but when the romans are gone those Romana Britisch are a pain in the ....
    Yeah, the Romano-British faction will appear once all Roman provinces have disappeared / been exterminated etc. Just found this out after sacking Londinium with the Celts.

They will appear in the centre of Britain, with pretty much a full-stack army. This consisted of several units of Graal Knights, Sarmatian Auxiliaries, British Legionaries, standard (BI) Roman infantry (heavy and light), Archers, Warlords, Monks, and a Roman general. The Romano-British went straight for Londinium after they appeared btw.

As I was overstreched (with basically no troops left), I had to recruit some Noble Cavalry ASAP to even stand a chance against all that heavy cavalry they had. Managed to recruit a unit of mercenary Graal Knights myself:

In the battle, went straight for the faction leader, killed him with a cav spam charge (in wedge), and the rest of the Romano-British army routed almost straight away. There you go, emergent faction destroyed within 3 turns

Just be prepared when the Romano-British appear - make sure you have plenty of heavy cavalry and spear warband already recruited so you can deal with them. Hounds of Culaan just in case

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic
    , Click here to download RTG v1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Seasoned Alcoholic

In the battle, went straight for the faction leader, killed him with a cav spam charge (in wedge), and the rest of the Romano-British army routed almost straight away. There you go, emergent faction destroyed within 3 turns

Enraged Viking-Slayer Member Irb_the_Pictish_Berserker's Avatar

I noticed some people in this thread were saying that the Roxolani and some other factions glitched when they tried to play them. There's a real easy way to get them to work. Just go to your bi/data/text folder and open the campaign_descriptions.txt document and add a faction description for the faction you want to play as (just make sure it's in the exact same format as the descriptions for the other factions). The description can be anything you want, even "the Burgundii were a Germanic tribe famous for the invention of the kind of wine that now bears their name. They migrated to Gaul in the fourth century because they ran out of wine and needed a place to make more."

btw, this only works for factions that are already on the map at the start of the campaign
    If electricity comes from electrons, does mortality come from morons?

The celts start in a good position really, there is no real WRE presence on Britian to cause you any real trouble and they arent particularly agressive towards (in my game at least). Also one of your generals can night attack.

I really recommend Player1s bugfixer v2 for BI as it will enable the proper crossbowmen for the celts!

One of your temples gives you up to +3missile upgrade, the other +exp and hounds of cullan and the Morrigan gives less benefit than either of these so ignore it!

You are making money from the start and this is only really interrupted by a blockade on your ports by rebels or WRE. Build peasants to free your real soldiers from garrison and ship them across to Britain. You also have an assasin and a spy, these just happen to be in your towns.

Build a good mixed army, some crossbows, horses, spearmen (that can shiltron if needed), gallowglasses and Hounds. I didnt think much of the scotti chariots, maybe someone can change my mind. When my boats finished a drop-off, they went straight back into a friendly port so pirates didnt sink them. There were too many around to leave the boats exposed for a turn and yours arent good enough to fight. You have two basic choices: take both WRE towns and trigger the Romano-Brits or take one and then ignore the second in favour of invading straight to France or Spain. For example, my Romano-Brits spawned with 6 Grall Knights, legionnaires etc all 2 gold exp, all gold armour and silver weapons. And I couldnt assassinate (2% chance). I got beat down bad, lost 4 generals and wished I hadnt bothered with the second British town. You can also move from Eb to London in 1 turn so if you lose your main army to the Romano-Brits they will chase you back and punish you fast!

If you choose to leave 1 town alone you dont get much bother from the remaining WRE, they are easily contained and you can make loads of money if you grab towns with accessible ports in France or (and!?) Spain. Of course, once you have loads of money, feel free to field a good army and take the last Britain town and twat the Romano-Brits.

Hounds of Cullan make sieges a really quick affair, breach the walls in a couple of places, stick the Hounds nearby and use their special ability, they will charge the breaches and make alot of things rout! But be quick to back them up because they wont ever stop until the battle is done or they are dead. So keep Gallowglasses close by and heavy cav like your general backing them up. Be quick! If you dont lose them you can repair the Hounds at their level one shrine and they will level fast.

If you really want "proper soldiers" (i.e. not peasants) on defense, then your stone walls with +3missile crossbowmen on them give the enemy a real headache! Your spearmen dont stand up to much so only use them to pin down troops while you manouver others around them. That means if you have pictish spearmen on walls defending against ladders etc then they are done for.

Well, on their own they are. I have managed with two units either side of where the invaders will arrive on the wall (a clear gap for them to land on) and slingers / kerns on the ground below them. The 2 spearmen hold them in place while your slingers / kerns effectively hit them in the flank from below! But I dont recommend it because it works best with crossbow men (better against armour) and they are much better being up on the wall in the first place!

When you get to the mainland, use a lot of spies to scout for easy pickings and move fast to them - you will suffer a lot more the longer you leave it.

i loved playing as the celts . took the hole of britian and then moved towards france and i am going of spain at the mo not the easiest root but i thought it would be a challenge to go a difficult root and not just take the hole of the northen area.I love the units and enjoyed wiping out the romano british to.
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

Senior Member Senior Member Dorkus's Avatar

5 steps to world domination

1. Build hounds.

2. Click warcry.

3. Watch hounds kill everything.

4. Laugh.

5. Retrain/build more hounds.

On a peninsula that may be a strategic objective to the United States.

Hey all;

Started a Celt campaign once having seen this thread,
    and I admit, it is great fun all around. They do start with
    great funding and resources, although the Hounds are a bit
    overextended logistics wise. I admit, the Celts keep a great
    economy based on the Peasant garrison, and once into Saxony,
    the mainland is all whether you want to go after the WRE or
    your fellow barbarians. I did the latter, and found that
    Gallowglasses are a match for any Infantry unit on the mainland.
    I was nervous when the Romano British arrived, but I had generated
    enough cavalry through inhertance, that the Warlords and Graals
    were no match. The one thing that I would suggest is eliminating
    Saxony once Britannia is consolidated, not only for the resources,
    but most importantly, making your natural enemies bite the dust.

"If you find yourself in the moment where you recognize that history is being made, press pause and acknowledge the future yielding to the past..."

I think the Gallowglasses are the best heavy infantry unit in the game hands down. A bit slow but they sure pack a big punch.

Hey all;

16 provinces with the Celts on H/H is getting to be tough. I am in
    a tough war with the Burgundii, but I am getting the upper hand. So far
    I've had some great battles.
    My question is about the celt Bugfixer, I've read that it will get you
    some better missile units, but I am weary that it will affect my current
    savegames. Can anyone help me?

"If you find yourself in the moment where you recognize that history is being made, press pause and acknowledge the future yielding to the past..."

AFAIK the bugfixer unlocks the Pictish Crossbowmen unit, a Celtic unit available in Custom Battles/Multiplayer but not in the campaign (bug?) I haven't found bugfixer modifications (the simpler ones at least) to have a compatability problem, but I'd check the readme of whatever modification you're using, just to be sure.

Antagonist
    "Society is going down the drain, and it's everybody's fault but ours."

Arthurian Total War Developer

Hey thanks for the suggestion, I figure this might help a bit, my slingers
    can't slaughter enough Lombard Berserkers! I'm sending Assassins to
    Sabotage their temples... It seems like the only way...

Enjoy the screenshot!

Conspicuously Inconspicuous Member makkyo's Avatar

I've looked around but I can't find the bugfixer. Can somebody post a like perhaps? After being slaughtered by the Romano-British I really do need some decent missle troops. Throwing rocks at the enemy just isn't going to cut it.
    "And one should bear in mind that there is nothing more difficult to execute, nor more dubious of success, nor more dangerous to administer than to introduce a new order to things; for he who introduces it has all those who profit from the old order as his enemies; and he has only lukewarm allies in all those who might profit from the new. This lukewarmness partly stems from fear of their adversaries, who have the law on their side, and partly from the skepticism of men, who do not truly believe in new things unless they have personal experience in them."
    ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Off Topic but will this Bug Fixer work with http://www.twcenter.net/downloads//db/?mod=672

Lightbulb Re: Celts (BI faction)

Quote Originally Posted by makkyo
    I've looked around but I can't find the bugfixer. Can somebody post a like perhaps? After being slaughtered by the Romano-British I really do need some decent missle troops. Throwing rocks at the enemy just isn't going to cut it.
    Try:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=55464

the problem with celts, and any faction that needs the sea is pirates, my boats suck, now i'm in an all out war with the goths...trying to hold the city i need for a win...my hounds are gone...i feel lost

i cannot win a war of attrition my island in ireland is where i put most of my troop building recources...this may have been my problem, my almost half stack of ships, with valor and upgrades keeps losing to smaller pirates, even with a 3 star admiral

i now have what was a full stack at 75% and my hounds are gone, and goths have a couple cities pumping out troops and keep attacking me, sapping my strength.....this is on vh/vh victory will be tough
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

i forgot to mention, besides chasing a general around the island for too long, as i was auto resolving, the romano british are a joke, my hounds made short work of them....hounds rushed as i was setting up my lines, with my 2 warlords and 1 chariot the hounds destroyed most before my spears even were there to "help"

best part of this game so far is watching my hounds rampage around the battle field close up as they wipe out those foolish enough to stop routing

seeing my hounds knock guys 10 feet in the air doesnt seem to get old
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

Conspicuously Inconspicuous Member makkyo's Avatar

After getting the patch, I'm well underway with my Celtic campaign. Driving the Romans off of the island was no problem, but I was well aware that the Roman-British would have an army both larger and better trained than my own. My army contained a good 700 men, and I knew that a straight up, open field battle would be too costly against thoes grall knights. I left a force of less than 200 men inside Londinium and the rest was just outside the city. The RB laid siege to the city, and assaulted it the next turn. Funnily enough, my 500 reinforcements came exactly at the enemy's rear. They were able to break through the city's walls before I took out their general with my cavalry. The RB was caught right between my small garison and main army, and quickly routed.

Having secured the British Isle, I built all of the money making buildings I could in order to generate some cash for an invasion force. The Romans were pushovers, simply put. My single stack was able to take all of France. A massive pirate incursion cost me some cash, but I was able to defeat the pirates through sheer numbers of my crappy boats. I took all of the provinces bordering the sea (North of Spain) without much incident.

My second real chalenge to my power came from a simultanious invasion from the Sarmations and the Goths. Talk about crazy. I had since then trained two field armies: one in southern france, and the other in western france. I allied myself with the Alemanii, and was able to trap the entire Goth horde between the Alemanii capitol (from the west) and my field army (from the east). Several incredible battles left my field army severely weakened, but I was sucessful in halting the Goth's advance further west and dwindling their forces down from over 5 full stacks to only a couple very small ones.

The Sarmations attacked sounthern france and laid seige to the city several times, each time failing to take the city or being driven away from sallying from the walls. They were much more of a challenge. Their troops were overall better, and their horse archers gave my slower units hell. I still managed to convince them that my land wasn't worth the cost. I now have France, England, and Norther Germany secured. I have my eye on Italy, but my spies tell me that the Huns are alreay duking it out with the Romans. Both sides aren't friendly, and both look extremely formitable at the moment. Right now I'm content with going for Spain with the hopes of opening a back door to Italy.
    "And one should bear in mind that there is nothing more difficult to execute, nor more dubious of success, nor more dangerous to administer than to introduce a new order to things; for he who introduces it has all those who profit from the old order as his enemies; and he has only lukewarm allies in all those who might profit from the new. This lukewarmness partly stems from fear of their adversaries, who have the law on their side, and partly from the skepticism of men, who do not truly believe in new things unless they have personal experience in them."
    ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Default Bugfixer 3.0

Have managed to get the Celts but I noticed that the latest version of Bugfixer does not include the Pictish Crossbowmen in the readme file. Installed it but did not get the opportunity to recruit any crossbows. Any ideas anyone?
    cheers
    Fiery death from above

I fixed your problem,

this is my first post so I hope this works!

to get the pictish crossbowmen go to your Bi data folder then go to export_descr_buildings, then find the words building missiles. When you find that scroll down a little and you'll see recruit written a lot of times. at the bottom (below "western archer") type this,

recruit "celtic crossbowmen" 0 requires factions {celts}

I hope this works for you.

and write a , after celts so it looks like this {celts,}

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast