Thread: Introducing: The Spanish Empire

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

Default Introducing: The Spanish Empire

Continuing on from the Ottoman Empire, here is the guide to the Spanish forces in the Demo.

The Spanish Empire in the demo represents Spain in the 16thC, after the reconquista and the unification of the Christian Spanish kingdoms. In the full mod will include the Kingdom of Castile rather then a 'united' Spain.

The guide can be found here.
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

Forsmark, Sweden, where the radiation keeps me warm.

Default Re: Introducing: The Spanish Empire

That is abselutly amazing! Very good work.

Keep on!

I support the Pike and Musket:Total War

Also Europa Barbarorum supporter!

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the preview but I find it a little bit too little for the most powerful nation of the period...

Some comments:

Apart from german mercenaries, there were a few army units composed exclusively of germans/burgundians, such as one of the king's guards (there was a german guard, a spanish guard and a burgundian guard), the famous Archeros were very heavy cavalry and composed exclusively of burgundiands because, as you mentioned Spain was unable to sustain a decent body of proper heavy cavalry.

Herreruelos: they were the equivalent of whar in the rest of Europe were the later cuirassers, they apperared at the beginning of the XVII th - possibly end of XVI th century as an organised part of the cavalry force.

Lancer: They weren't as heavy as the french Gendarmes but they were the heaviest cavalry the spanish could muster and replaced the heavies with eficiency, and shouldn´t be considered anything else but heavy cavalry even if slightly lighter than in the rest of Europe.

I also hope you include drummers and standard bearers for all the units as this was the norm by the XVII the century.

I like the graphics of the units although the foot-cuirasse-wearing units look like they all take Kellogs All Bran for breakfast (they are probably too thin for meat-eating, beer-drinking scum of all the Spains)
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    I like the preview but I find it a little bit too little for the most powerful nation of the period...
    These are ONLY the units for Spain in the demo, which represents the Spanish Expeditionary forces (for lack of a better term) under the command of the Viceroy of Southern Italy that went to help expell the Ottomans from Malta.

Trust me, there are alot more spanish units
    The main reason they are not going to be in the demo is they just are not done yet.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GodsPetMonkey
    These are ONLY the units for Spain in the demo, which represents the Spanish Expeditionary forces (for lack of a better term) under the command of the Viceroy of Southern Italy that went to help expell the Ottomans from Malta.

Trust me, there are alot more spanish units
    The main reason they are not going to be in the demo is they just are not done yet.

Ah, Ok. Sorry if my reaction was a bit too dramatic...

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

On a peninsula that may be a strategic objective to the United States.

Hey All;

This looks great. I really like the skin on the Celadas, now all thats left is
    to see them at work!

"If you find yourself in the moment where you recognize that history is being made, press pause and acknowledge the future yielding to the past..."

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    Ah, Ok. Sorry if my reaction was a bit too dramatic...
    NP, I should have mentioned it in the first post (hell, I had thought of mentioning the fact that the demo happens after the unification, but I expected someone to come in saying that it should be Castile not Spain )

Don't worry, there are more spanish units to come... an idea I had was that after the demo is released we would concentrate on finishing of spain and the moorish units giving us another theme for an expansion to the demo (Reconquista), but nothing is certain yet.
    Now editing -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GodsPetMonkey
    NP, I should have mentioned it in the first post (hell, I had thought of mentioning the fact that the demo happens after the unification, but I expected someone to come in saying that it should be Castile not Spain )

Don't worry, there are more spanish units to come... an idea I had was that after the demo is released we would concentrate on finishing of spain and the moorish units giving us another theme for an expansion to the demo (Reconquista), but nothing is certain yet.
    Actually, just for the sake of completeness it was the aragonese with king Ferdinand who landed in Italy first.... Sorry if I´m nitpicking.

Absolutely beautiful. I'm anticipating the next preview.

Btw what would be the next one?

Italians (Venice, Naples Milan). Stay tuned...

Plus the rest of the Spanish units, they are nearly done.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
    Italians (Venice, Naples Milan). Stay tuned...

Plus the rest of the Spanish units, they are nearly done.
    I just cant wait for French one.

Very nice units guys I think this have you heard many times.
    Will this be mod for BI or RTW 1.3?

Quote Originally Posted by DochtorGajo
    I just cant wait for French one.
    Not much of the french units are done I'm afraid. The current status is iirc
    Have model and texture, lacks unit card: Arquebusiers legionnairs, Voulgiers, Coustilliers, Archers à cheval, Arquebusiers à cheval, Piquiers legionnairs
    Have model, lacks texture: Sergents à pied, Musquetairs, Arbalétriers génois
    Last edited by Narayanese; 12-02-2005 at 21:44. Reason: texture for Piquiers legionnairs was done

If I just had some acess to 3dsmax or similar program.

Im parient just would like to know if there will be any French Gendarmes as I love French ordonnance.
    Would be French more cav orientated? You know like having Gendarmes, some kinda lesser heavy cavalry along with that mounted arqs or bowmen?

Units done are perfect cant wait to see another beauties.

Im parient just would like to know if there will be any French Gendarmes as I love French ordonnance.
    Would be French more cav orientated? You know like having Gendarmes, some kinda lesser heavy cavalry along with that mounted arqs or bowmen?
    France will be able to build some 5-10 different units of heavy cavalry, so it's oriented toward heavy lancer cav.
    If you've any wishes (within historical limits of course) how some unit of french cav should look, post a picture or a few, and/or detailed description (listing every piece of armour and cloth and colours), and I'll make the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Narayanese
    France will be able to build some 5-10 different units of heavy cavalry, so it's oriented toward heavy lancer cav.
    If you've any wishes (within historical limits of course) how some unit of french cav should look, post a picture or a few, and/or detailed description (listing every piece of armour and cloth and colours), and I'll make the unit.
    Well infact this wouldnt be needed as Gendarmes used ordinary 16th century milanese armour with close helmets armets and maybe sallets in late 100yrs war.

Its good theyll have many cavalry types its would be accurate as in this period they relied on mercenary infantry so this was their weaker part of army.

What should I mention are French cannon as theyve developed one of the most efficient tactics of cavalry and artillery combination in this era.

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Jarko\My Documents\Breton.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry dont know how to send image saved in computer.
    Last edited by DochtorGajo; 12-04-2005 at 12:43.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

You need to host them with Imageshack.com or another site and then use the image tabs.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Well infact this wouldnt be needed as Gendarmes used ordinary 16th century milanese armour with close helmets armets and maybe sallets in late 100yrs war.
    Hmm, would this do? (but uplaod that picture, there are several french cav units not done)

These models are nice should be something like ordonnance sergeants or something.

Real Gendarmes looked like fairy tail knights that means shiny ornamentated armour heavy lance and most times horse with full plate armour.
    The main difference to other european cavalry was that all of them were part of nobility so were more impetuos thus winning many times by surprize full scale attacks but sometimes surrounded and shot by harquebusiers like at Pavia.

Real Gendarmes looked like fairy tail knights that means shiny ornamentated armour heavy lance and most times horse with full plate armour.
    Ah, like this. Anyway, I changed the model slightly, to fit with the early 16th century gendarme on this page, so it'll be the cavalry unit that'll unimaginatively be called Cavallerie lourde for distinction from heavier gendarmes.

If you needed concept art for 16th century Gendarme you can find nice one here:

http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/fo...howtopic=11788

For 15th century is the one from last post ideal. Its very hard to say if they mostly wore sallets ot armets in late 100yrs war and several decades later.

Are you planning one general model of Gendarmes or two different?
    If only one they should have armets or close helmets these were more common if speaking about mid 15th- 16th century.